Become a Patron!

Any tips building on the Crown RBA deck?

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey VU

I got the RBA deck for my crown a few weeks ago and have had mild success. The thing is, with the posts both centered, and such a small space it is hard to throw a simple clapton build in there and not have the legs touching the body of the coil while they are screwed into the posts..

Does anyone have tips or tricks they use to get bigger builds to fit?

I am wondering if I should try putting a vertical clapton in there to see how that goes, but I assume it will run into problems with wicking the top cotton side...

I am not sure how to get the claptons to fit horizontally, besides going with a smaller diameter ID. I currently use 2.3mm ID as I find that's pretty much the sweet spot for most my builds. Smaller ID may cause wicking issues with a tank. I do not know, the RBA thing is new to me. All I've ever known is RDAs.

Thanks guys :)

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey VU

I got the RBA deck for my crown a few weeks ago and have had mild success. The thing is, with the posts both centered, and such a small space it is hard to throw a simple clapton build in there and not have the legs touching the body of the coil while they are screwed into the posts..

Does anyone have tips or tricks they use to get bigger builds to fit?

I am wondering if I should try putting a vertical clapton in there to see how that goes, but I assume it will run into problems with wicking the top cotton side...

I am not sure how to get the claptons to fit horizontally, besides going with a smaller diameter ID. I currently use 2.3mm ID as I find that's pretty much the sweet spot for most my builds. Smaller ID may cause wicking issues with a tank. I do not know, the RBA thing is new to me. All I've ever known is RDAs.

Thanks guys :)
I have not gotten a single positive experience with my Crown RBA. Love the tank with stock coils, but am not happy at all with the RBA. I know it is probably a learning curve but figured it would be like building on other RBAs. I get constant dry hits and even in tc mode I can only run around 230 degrees with 430 ss wrapped at 3mm dual inline with 4 wraps each... So 8 wide. I have tried sticking many different ways but nothing is working right. First cool I tried was 4 wraps at 3mm of my 32gauge cores Claptoned with 40 gauge, both kanthal. Fit great and did nothing but burn cotton all the way down to 25watts

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Interesting. I'm going to try my hand at a 5 wrap vert clapton... See how that works. I may have to go with 28 g core if it doesn't fit. If I can't get a fit I might try a simple build :(

Matt

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Interesting. I'm going to try my hand at a 5 wrap vert clapton... See how that works. I may have to go with 28 g core if it doesn't fit. If I can't get a fit I might try a simple build :(

Matt
When I get home, I'm going to try to carefully pull one of the coils out of my dual coil so that it is just a single gapped coil. Run that in tc to see how it vapes.

I also made the juice holes a bit bigger. I didn't like the small lacking juice inlets as all my juice is high vg. 70+vg it was too thick it seemed to get enough through to be effective.

Izen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have not gotten a single positive experience with my Crown RBA. Love the tank with stock coils, but am not happy at all with the RBA. I know it is probably a learning curve but figured it would be like building on other RBAs. I get constant dry hits and even in tc mode I can only run around 230 degrees with 430 ss wrapped at 3mm dual inline with 4 wraps each... So 8 wide. I have tried sticking many different ways but nothing is working right. First cool I tried was 4 wraps at 3mm of my 32gauge cores Claptoned with 40 gauge, both kanthal. Fit great and did nothing but burn cotton all the way down to 25watts
Dry hits? ...with the Crown RBA are - IMO - a wicking issue. This YouTube video by Quest4Vape helped a lot of folks : It didn't work well for me. I must've not done it right, but THIS YouTube video did work for me. Can't speak well enough of the 2nd one. Believe it or not, you'll see after you watch! Between one or the other maybe you'll have some luck.:)

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've pretty much written the RBA off, although I certainly could have persevered longer. I did watch a bunch of videos and try different wicking methods, but they didn't perform well with my high VG juice, and I had to lower the watts so much the flavor was no better than the subtank mini (which sort of defeated the purpose). And not being able to use topfill was a dealbreaker for me. But I lack patience, and those who persevered likely had better luck!

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've pretty much written the RBA off, although I certainly could have persevered longer. I did watch a bunch of videos and try different wicking methods, but they didn't perform well with my high VG juice, and I had to lower the watts so much the flavor was no better than the subtank mini (which sort of defeated the purpose). And not being able to use topfill was a dealbreaker for me. But I lack patience, and those who persevered likely had better luck!

I came to the tank from a subtank mini. I agree that the high VG is horrid when trying to build your own coil. I did build a single spaced coil from 430 ss and running it around 400 degrees F. However, I made the coil 3mm and that killed all airflow. No dry hits thankfully... but also no air flow and no flavor... much like the Sub Tank Mini RBA... sad...

I will try two more coils in the RBA before giving up on it completely. I will do a vertical coil as well as try a smaller (maybe 2mm) coild to see if air flow and flavor improve. I will only run it in TC mode though as no wicking method I have tried has proven to work tug after tug.

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Found a good video on doing a successful vertical coil build. Going to try that tonight. If successful, I will post back. Was going to try last night but getting up at 4:30am and not getting home until 10:30pm killed my motivation to build!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I came to the tank from a subtank mini. I agree that the high VG is horrid when trying to build your own coil. I did build a single spaced coil from 430 ss and running it around 400 degrees F. However, I made the coil 3mm and that killed all airflow. No dry hits thankfully... but also no air flow and no flavor... much like the Sub Tank Mini RBA... sad...

I will try two more coils in the RBA before giving up on it completely. I will do a vertical coil as well as try a smaller (maybe 2mm) coild to see if air flow and flavor improve. I will only run it in TC mode though as no wicking method I have tried has proven to work tug after tug.
Besides a smaller ID of the coil, have you tried a larger distance between the coil, and the air hole?

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Besides a smaller ID of the coil, have you tried a larger distance between the coil, and the air hole?
I have had the coil as high as I could get it before it started to short on the coil housing. 3mm is too big id for that deck when horizontal. Might be as well even when vertical. Not sure if the amount of cotton you can get in between the coil and the posts. We shall find it tonight. I'm going to either do a 2mm or 2.5mm.

SeniorBoy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
My results are dandy using the Crown RBA deck with a single horizontal Kanthal coil around .5. The trick for me is to create a S wick with the cap off. Juice up the wick and then shape it into a S wick BEFORE you put the cap on. I use plenty of KGD. It is a little tricky to install the cap with all the wicking material already wet and in place so just be patient. I also use a dental pick kinda tool to gentle push the wick up each side so the cap snaps into place. Then I rotate the cap so it snaps into the grooves.

This one is a little sloppy /lol but helps to understand the trick. It was my first try and my concern was the wicking and not the beauty of my wrap:

SMALL_USE_P1010232.jpg

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have used that wicking idea since receiving the RBA. It doesn't seem terrible, still find myself waiting for wicking to catch up though between pulls

I am going to throw a basic 26/34G N80 clapton in this guy, smaller ID - 2mm or so, and vertical.... Not sure how to wick the deck with a vert build. Will let you know shortly here Midwest.

Matt

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My results are dandy using the Crown RBA deck with a single horizontal Kanthal coil around .5. The trick for me is to create a S wick with the cap off. Juice up the wick and then shape it into a S wick BEFORE you put the cap on. I use plenty of KGD. It is a little tricky to install the cap with all the wicking material already wet and in place so just be patient. I also use a dental pick kinda tool to gentle push the wick up each side so the cap snaps into place. Then I rotate the cap so it snaps into the grooves.

This one is a little sloppy /lol but helps to understand the trick. It was my first try and my concern was the wicking and not the beauty of my wrap:

View attachment 35393
Ok, I have tried that with no luck. However, tonight I did a vertical build and so far no dry hits in temp mouse and getting good flavor.

5 wraps of 430 stainless and wrapped fully in lose fluffy cotton. 3mm diameter. Has good airflow too.

03489a37439b112d87b4dc3a43586d37.jpg

1507c073a16cb3f65f55cc8f000ec69a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My skill set doesn't yet appear to include wicking outside of the easy and open decks of my RDAs.
Put another way... this Crown is a real pisser.

I had already seen Izen's first vid link, and tried the S-wick. A couple times. No joy.
It's logical so I understand that others are finding success.

So I tried the method in his second link. Much better... so far.

It's also a logical approach... a pair of pads emulating the cotton wrap around the inside of our current vertical coil factory heads. It was no better the first attempt, so in desperation I grabbed some sample Rayon I had around, though any success is as likely having had a practice run as using the Rayon.

I'm using the included 0.25 SS that came pre mounted. I've had it up to ~40w, but cautiously.
Right now I've backed it down to 25w and it's still throwing serious cloud.
It's still worrisome taking anything near to a really full hit... dry/burnt sucks.

This certainly works... for now. Perhaps others will critique or even improve it.
But I can see larger juice slots being a major improvement. May have to shop a micro file.

ETA: Damn... it's nice to have my Crown back. :D
I took the top cap off of my RBA deck and put it on the Smith machine at work and put a couple quick 3mm holes just above the juice wicking slot to where it just broke into the factory slot.

I think that is helping a lot with my vertical build I did. I will take pics to show.

She Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This tank turned out to be one of the most over-hyped and disappointing tanks I have ever bought, when using the RBA deck specifically. I know how to rebuild and have many successful tanks for doing so but this one is Bleh, with the RBA deck. I don't yet know of one person that can honestly say that the RBA deck on this tank was great. I have 2 and 2 RBA decks. After the first, I never bothered to even open the 2nd. I find the taste very muted, boring and I have tried all different well made coils, in TC and using kanathal.
I long ago gave up on this one but I do love using it with the Ni200 0.15 coils. Its the only tank I use with pre-made coils but these ones are really great with this tank.
If someone can come up with some sort of coil for this one that is spectacular, I am yet to hear about it.

EDIT:

Maybe this tank is best for cloudz but disappointing for taste if that is what you are after? The other possibility is that I am just not fond of subtank type attys for taste. But do love the taste with the 0.15 coils specifically in TC mode

Last edited by a moderator:

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This tank turned out to be one of the most over-hyped and disappointing tanks I have ever bought, when using the RBA deck specifically. I know how to rebuild and have many successful tanks for doing so but this one is Bleh, with the RBA deck. I don't yet know of one person that can honestly say that the RBA deck on this tank was great. I have 2 and 2 RBA decks. After the first, I never bothered to even open the 2nd. I find the taste very muted, boring and I have tried all different well made coils, in TC and using kanathal.
I long ago gave up on this one but I do love using it with the Ni200 0.15 coils. Its the only tank I use with pre-made coils but these ones are really great with this tank.
If someone can come up with some sort of coil for this one that is spectacular, I am yet to hear about it.
This is the only tank i have using stock coils too. I went ahead and got more coils for it. Got the .25 coils. Those have good flavor and good airflow but I did just order an Aromamizer and will be getting an obs crius. End up probably running around with those. Nothing better that I can think of other than a full-size rebuildable deck with a tank. I will end up selling my crown off. I will use it for a back up tank.

She Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I rebuild on all mine except for this one. I stopped bothering and went back to the 0.15 coils. But I have used coils on various pre-ohm/sub-ohm devices. As a custard vaper, my juice bungs up pre-made coils and wicks very quickly. Most coils give me a good 4 days before its time to rewick or 2-3 more days before the pre-made coil is done.

I cant speak for the 0.25 coils on this Uwell but the 0.15 are incredible. I just put in a new coil, 0.15, that sat in this tank since November 4th. Already over one month and it really had another full week or perhaps more in it. I just keep finding it unbelievable that a custard vape can still be incredible on this over a month later. I think this is the 4th 0.15 Ni200 coil I have used, as i have two of these tanks and each one has far exceeded my expectations.

This is the only pre-made coil I have yet used that for some reason I can't explain, has lasted this long and the taste is great. Im a flavour chaser. Clouds aren't my thing, although you cant escape them on this atty. But the taste is very deep for me on this 0.15 with custard.

I won't get rid of this tank. The 0.15 coils, if you consider that each one is lasting me just over a month, with 4 in a pack, it's too inexpensive to not use.
At least for me. Can't speak for anyone else but a pack every 4-5 months works out to mere pennies a day.
No doubt you know how badly custards normally bung up coils.
The 2nd tank is also a desert vape known to bung them up as well.
Both tank coils are lasting forever.
Vape at 40-50 wattage on 435F.
Also find it softer on my throat.
Steam seems to be more spread out, rather than hitting one same spot at the back of my throat, over and over.

I LOVE this tank but hate the RBA deck. Try the 0.15 coil before getting rid of it, on TC and you may not dump it so quickly.

Edit: I usually vape at about 17.5-25watts at the very highest on all other tanks. This one does need a higher wattage such as 40watts at least to perform properly, IMO

She Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just as a comparison, I used a couple of pre-made coils that came with the Goliath v2 attys using the exact same juice and each one tasted burned after about the 5th day. ( i rebuild on the Goliath, but it came with 2 coils tried out )

Don't like the 0.5ohm coils for this tank though, find the taste muted using them.
Ive noticed vape stores selling the 0.25 for pretty cheap. Too cheap, makes me wonder how good they are but I really cant answer that.
Try 0.15 at least once before dumping this atty if you can.

SeniorBoy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Gazoo, I tend to agree with you when comparing the prebuilt heads with the RBA deck. Even though I have plenty of spare heads the day will come when they are no longer made so rather than trashing the Crown, I can extend it's life with the tricky to wick RBA deck. For my buds and this is just me, the RBA deck does not deliver as much flavor but if I'm in a pinch they will be adequate.

After all, we are comparing a single coil to my fav which is the .5 SS dual coils vertical. IMHO, that's apples and oranges. I run in power mode around 30 watts to chase flavor and those heads with most juices (not the gunkers) last me at least 150 ML. I think one of the secrets is that these heads use tiny little pieces of organic cotton which are sandwiched together. The first time I took a head apart it blew my mind. Who the hell assembles these or maybe they use a machine! /lol

Better than sex for flavor chasers!

:)

She Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Whatever works for one person, is all that matters. Everyones taste is different.
I was not one that cared for the Kanger Subtank either. Hated, absolutely hated their pre-made coils and I have made countless coils for it and never once on kanathal, did i ever enjoy its vape. I found the taste muted.
I only enjoyed the STM when I would rebuild using Ni200 coils. The only problem with that was that it's just not made well for Ni200. The resistance jumps back and forth and i had to constantly reset it.
I saw some suggest that you double up the legs by winding a separate wire so with a thicker legs, it would hold resistance better.
He was probably right but I just couldn't be bothered so those STMs sit in a pile of atty's I don't love.
Yet I am not really fond of Ni200 but find it makes the difference in taste if I have a tank that's muted and cannot be improved upon.

I love this Crown tanks quality. Love it with the coils and will stock up on 4-5 boxes when done with the one i have. I buy them for $9.15 US from China so they aren't expensive.
But I have learned, at least for myself, that I tend to tire of tanks far before they wear out anyway. By the time they stop making these coils, I will have long moved on to other attys and perhaps moved on again. For me its not a concern.

I have just learned that after the STM and then this one, I avoid all subtank designs. Great for clouds but not for flavour. But if you have made a coil/wick that works for you, than for you that's great and keep at it.
I just haven't, as of yet, seen someone tell me that their RBA coil is perfect, flavour wise, or I would have copied it immediately :)

I will try, one last time to build a Stainless Steel 304 coil for the RBA deck in TC mode and see how that goes. Fortunately I have many other attys which allows me the luxury of liking different attys, for different reasons, and not expecting one to do all and be all for me. Some I love in kanathal pre-ohm mode, some I love at 0.48 or so, some at 1.00 ohms and some again at 0.8, depending on juice involved also.

SO ALL i was trying to say was that for me, I have found this one Crown atty best in Ni200 TC mode at 0.15 but if someone comes up with a new one that's perfect in kanathal or SS that I haven't tried, I will check it out.
But unlike STMs, this one is built so well and everything else about it so perfect, it was really disappointing to have such muted tase using the RBA, more so because I have never seen such a marketing scheme as this one, the way they made it so hard to get, making people only want it more and then not including an RBA deck and wen you finally could find stores or web sites selling the deck, they had the nerve to charge $20 for it ;(

Enjoy your Crown. It's a well made atty. As long as YOU enjoy the RBA, that's all that matters. I just happen to love it using the 0.15 in TC mode, not the RBA, sadly

She Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
After all, we are comparing a single coil to my fav which is the .5 SS dual coils vertical. IMHO, that's apples and oranges.

You are right there, cant argue one bit, it is apples and oranges.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree about the RBA. I initially bought it simply because there was an available RBA, but I was so impressed with the taste of the 0.25 coils I've since purchased many boxes (and this is the only tank I've ever purchased coils for in bulk). I find the flavor in the RBA to be extremely disappointing, and I doubt I'll ever use it. But the OCC to me are excellent, so much so that I've lost interest in looking at any other tanks.

SeniorBoy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Yea, the Crown is going to be a very very very :) tough act to follow for any other sub ohm Tank wanna be :) /lol

Kind of funny, I purchased the Crown as a "lark" since it had been over two years since my grubby paws ever touched a "tank" of any make that uses pre built heads/coils. I was shocked in a good way. Today I only own 4 Crowns! /lol I have always preferred to build my own via drippers, KFL+, Sqapes etc. And I still do!

BTW, just curious what others do, I never close the air holes when I fill my Crown from the top. Natch, if you overfill your going to get dribbles out of the air holes. I think closing the air holes waste to much time /lol but that's just me. Works every time. Thoughts?

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree about the RBA. I initially bought it simply because there was an available RBA, but I was so impressed with the taste of the 0.25 coils I've since purchased many boxes (and this is the only tank I've ever purchased coils for in bulk). I find the flavor in the RBA to be extremely disappointing, and I doubt I'll ever use it. But the OCC to me are excellent, so much so that I've lost interest in looking at any other tanks.
I did the same, after failing so much with the RBA, I bought a few packs of the .25 coils when they went on sale for $5.99/4pack. I will run just or made coils in this as it is my favorite Atty and leave my built coils to my rda's and my aromamizer that is on its way.

She Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Senior Boy. I'm like you. Once u rebuild its hard to use premade coils but these coils are the best pre-mades I have ever had. You can't improve on perfection. If i were burning threw them every 4 days, I would have said no, but 4-5 weeks on a desert custard vape is unheard of-IMO that's just how good they are.
Like you, I don't need to bother closing the AC. Still surprised though that it doesnt leak when I don't but it doesnt. Not sure why.
But agree with the rest AmandaD, MidwestExpress that they are the best coils, ever!!!

Hottvapz: lol. Mines soon to follow and I stupidly bought 2 of them. the first one was so bad I never even bothered to open the 2nd..lol Do like the screwdriver through with it ;)

I have one 0.25 coil. Will try it next. Its Stainless Steel, right?
Anyone using it in TC mode and can say if it's good or not?
I did have one box of the 0.5 coils - BLECH......muted as well

She Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
/kicks self I DID see a couple of sales on those 0.25ohm coils for $5.99. Damn, I should have picked some up. I didn't! Will keep my e yes open for more sales on that one and jump on it next time. It was so inexpensive, I thought there must be something wrong with them..lol, or worse, they were like the 0.5 kanathal versions

Hottvapz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Senior Boy. I'm like you. Once u rebuild its hard to use premade coils but these coils are the best pre-mades I have ever had. You can't improve on perfection. If i were burning threw them every 4 days, I would have said no, but 4-5 weeks on a desert custard vape is unheard of-IMO that's just how good they are.
Like you, I don't need to bother closing the AC. Still surprised though that it doesnt leak when I don't but it doesnt. Not sure why.
But agree with the rest AmandaD, MidwestExpress that they are the best coils, ever!!!

Hottvapz: lol. Mines soon to follow and I stupidly bought 2 of them. the first one was so bad I never even bothered to open the 2nd..lol Do like the screwdriver through with it ;)

The screwdriver is epic...I kept that lol

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Yes, I've used the 0.25 in TC mode on my SX Mini - works well! But quite honestly I don't see any need to use these coils in Tc mode. I've never vaped it dry enough to get a dry hit!

If you think the 0.5 coils are bad, don't even look at the 1.2. I have a couple of boxes, and every time I use one I regret it!

She Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm confused. How many coils are there?

Thought there was only 0.5 Kanathal, 0.25 SS and 0.15 Ni200? So there is a 1.2ohms one as well? Um, no, it needs to be more open than that.

Using in TC isn't for me about dry hits, for I never get dry hits anyow but a depth of flavour only found on TC. I use the 0.15 at 435F and 40watts and the taste is truly just one of the best I have ever had..

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm confused. How many coils are there?

Thought there was only 0.5 Kanathal, 0.25 SS and 0.15 Ni200? So there is a 1.2ohms one as well? Um, no, it needs to be more open than that.

Using in TC isn't for me about dry hits, for I never get dry hits anyow but a depth of flavour only found on TC. I use the 0.15 at 435F and 40watts and the taste is truly just one of the best I have ever had..

There is:
0.25 ss
0.5 ss
1.2 ss
0.15 Ni200

as far as I know - I have boxes of each stashed away!

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's been really hard to find build time... That damn thing people call "life" is getting in the way!! I want to experiment with this until I find something that works..

The deck being so small I don't know how but I want to try a dual coil build.

Matt

She Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Interesting. Thanks AmandaD.

I rebuild in SS a lot on TC and I have never seen it listed as 0.5 or 1.2 as those are typical kanthal coils, as far as I knew. The 0.25 I understand as being SS.
Weird, I cant quite imagine it.
But I have a SX Mini M class that will read SS properly rather than just on TC under T1 and I have never wrapped like that. Only for kanathal.

Ah, now i am understanding why the 0.5 was so BLECH, I think? I used it on Power Mode. I will quickly try one next time on Joules Mode and see how it is that way.
In fact, I think next time I will maybe try rebuilding, one last time again, but using T1 or SS in TC and see IF that's why they are so blah........If anyone has tried either of those in TC mode and can comment, I'd love to know if it works, or not?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Interesting. Thanks AmandaD.

I rebuild in SS a lot on TC and I have never seen it listed as 0.5 or 1.2 as those are typical kanthal coils, as far as I knew. The 0.25 I understand as being SS.
Weird, I cant quite imagine it.
But I have a SX Mini M class that will read SS properly rather than just on TC under T1 and I have never wrapped like that. Only for kanathal.

Ah, now i am understanding why the 0.5 was so BLECH, I think? I used it on Power Mode. I will quickly try one next time on Joules Mode and see how it is that way.
In fact, I think next time I will maybe try rebuilding, one last time again, but using T1 or SS in TC and see IF that's why they are so blah........If anyone has tried either of those in TC mode and can comment, I'd love to know if it works, or not?
My 0.5s play fine in power mode, just not as outstanding as the 0.25s, but streets ahead still of the 1.2 (at least for me)! The thing about using TC with SS for me is that the flavor is the same, so why bother?

She Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If that's how you feel than you are doing what's right for you. That's all that matters.

I won't deny that it was easy finding the spot in TC that gives me the taste that I want. Its difficult and until you find it, its hard to describe the taste. I fought against TC, figuring it was just another trend, I didn't need to spend more money, etc. But when I did find it, I fell in love with it. But I was rebuilding coils myself at that time. In the end, as far as rebuilding goes, unless one is vaping at a very high wattage and can really use the TC for that, I personally feel that TC is, at this point still overrated for the amount of work it takes to get to the right spot. Many rebuildable TC coils jump back and forth and that alone has turned many off of it.

Let's put it this way. I wouldnt suggest anyone run out and buy a TC mod if they don't have one. Some people buy them today and solely use them for Power mode. So if someone has one and happens to have a package of the coils, then yes, it's certainly worth the time figuring out the right sweet spot.
The problem with it, is sometimes you just want to vape and leave all the nonsense behind. I get that perfectly. I just happen to like variety but i understand not everyone else does.

I have about 8 mods with 8 attys on top, all perfectly coiled/wicked but each one is different from the next. Some are a cool vape, some are a warmer one, some are a tight draw and all taste, and another one is just a much easier atty to take out with me away from home, never having to worry about it leaking, and that one just happens to be this Crown. So for me, I was fortunate enough to have read tons about it by people discovering it themselves. That made it easier for me. They were and still are, far more advanced than I, so I was able to get quick numbers thrown at me. I asked directly, what temp should i try this at, and so on. If I hadn't, I doubt I would have spent the time figuring it out, to be honest. In fact, if i remember, the first few times I had it at about 200F less than I do now...lol......and kept wondering why i wasn't impressed with it :) It was only the help of others that enabled me to appreciate it. BUT even today, some of my attys are kanathal, some are SS and 2 are Ni200 (Crown) and I absolutely LOVE the taste this coil gives.
But don't think I am trying to tell you what to do. You just happened to mention you had each pack so I just said to try out the Ni200 if u have the right mod to try it out on. I vape mine at 435F and just 40 joules. Easy Peasy but only because someone else told me to try it around there and I went up or down a few to what felt right to me. I rarely vape beyond 18 - 23watts but a whole different style on the Ni200.. That's all.

Anyhow, going to leave this here. It was just a discussion and I certainly didn't intend to suggest to anyone that they must try it but just offered the info if they hadn't, but had the Ni200 coils and a TC mod to try it out. That's all. Just enjoy what feels right to you. That's all that matters :)

Sighs, that was a really long post..lol Sorry :)

She Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One last thing, meant to say, that I don't personally think that the Crown did those SS coils well......they too should really be around the 0.15 ohm - 0.25 area to be tasty. I think they screwed up on those 0.5 SS coils, to be honest, but that's just my opinion.

The 0.25 makes much more sense

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One last thing, meant to say, that I don't personally think that the Crown did those SS coils well......they too should really be around the 0.15 ohm - 0.25 area to be tasty. I think they screwed up on those 0.5 SS coils, to be honest, but that's just my opinion.

The 0.25 makes much more sense

No doubt, the 0.25 are fabulous!

And, as you say, different for different people - whatever keeps you from smoking:p

She Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It will be a few weeks before my two crowns need new coils but i promise, I shall try the 0.25 next and if i like it as much, then i will stock up on those coils as well :)

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What temp are you running the .25 and the .5 coil at in TC mode? What grade ss are those coils or do you know the coefficient to set for those?

VU Sponsors