Become a Patron!

Any Vaping Firefighters?

Mikea262

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Curious if there are are firefighters that vape on the boards. I have been a volunteer here in New Jersey for about 15 years. Its stupidly satisfying to have the ability to help people when they actually need it the most. I know the firefighting community is mostly made up of amazing guys and girls so I figured I would throw this out here and see if anyone else is lurking around.

The firefighting industry as a whole has historically embraced a culture of smoking. Just look at movies like Backdraft where the first thing they do after a fire is light up a cigarette. Its a ultra stressful profession in which people seek any refuge of stress relief. Technology and equipment advancements have made the conditions we work in a little safer but some of us insist on negating all of that by choosing to smoke. Its a profession where the health risks are real and dire.

Vaping is changing that for us. I know in my firehouse its spreading like wildfire (pun intended). Maybe this thread can help us out to support each other in the quest to be smoke free and ultimately keep us around a little longer to help our communities.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Do not think he vapes, but props for what he does.
13386_10153278734593628_6732749290781171754_n.jpg

Mikea262

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
He made an amazing documentary called A Good Job: Stories of the FDNY. I know it was on Netflix but I don't know if its still on. A real cool look inside the FDNY firehouses and some of the personal impacts from 9/11. He's a real stand up guy.

There's a guy at my store that is a firefighter. I don't think he's on here, though. Lots of public service folks at my store.

I just wanted to say thank you for all you do. Sometimes it can be a very thankless job and I appreciate it!!

VapeLikeALady

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's my post... I don't know why it showed up like that. Silly tapatalk!

I'm a volunteer firefighter in my little town of 6000, another firefighter got me started about a month ago and now there are at least 4 of us on the dept. that vape and a couple more that is thinking about starting.

Mikea262

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you guys have any trouble with membership? Here in nj the numbers everywhere are dropping. Everyone is working more or just don't want to volunteer anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeSully

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Volunteer FF here in central Jersey. I have a couple Buddies in other houses that vape too. Been a volunteer since January of 99.

Mikea262

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Where in central jersey @MikeSully?

MikeSully

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hopewell township, north of Trenton, west of princeton

Mikea262

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No shit. I'm a little east in Manalapan. Any brush issues with this hear out that way? We had 2 over the weekend

MikeSully

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
We had several in a row back in July. Nothing lately. Been curiously quiet on that front recently... of course, now that you brought it up we'll get one!

Mikea262

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh no! You said the magic "q" word! Do you guys go down to wildwood?

MikeSully

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I d
Oh no! You said the magic "q" word! Do you guys go down to wildwood?

I don't but a few of my guys do. I haven't been in more than ten years.

Mikea262

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is my first year as a delegate so now I actually HAVE to go. Gonna make the most of it though. It's usually a good time. The "party" atmosphere has changed a bit in the years I've been going. It's still cool to take some time off of work and enjoy a long weekend down the shore.

NYNURSE

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm going to jack the thread real quick.
As a retired cop, Thanks for all the shit you do. I might call you a hose dragger at the scene but in my heart, you are brothers.
Vape on and be safe.

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was up north a couple of months ago for a week on vacation and they are fairly strict on vaping there. The vape shops I went to in Brooklyn had a fairly weak selection of everything. I know it's unrelated, but I was walking and vaping on the streets and while waiting on the subways and people were looking at me like I was building a bomb. Another forum said they were waiting on my to get arrested because you can only vape in very limited places.

MikeSully

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was up north a couple of months ago for a week on vacation and they are fairly strict on vaping there. The vape shops I went to in Brooklyn had a fairly weak selection of everything. I know it's unrelated, but I was walking and vaping on the streets and while waiting on the subways and people were looking at me like I was building a bomb. Another forum said they were waiting on my to get arrested because you can only vape in very limited places.
Theyve been under the same laws as smoking in NJ since before vaping was cool. Can't do it inside public places. Sucks. Vape shops included. (And expos)

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So when I was in the shop vaping with the guys, we were breaking the law? That's foolish if true.

MikeSully

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So when I was in the shop vaping with the guys, we were breaking the law? That's foolish if true.
Brooklyn is new york. Don't know their laws but people are fined all the time in Nj for vaping inside vape shops. I know shop owners and patrons who have all been "busted" under the NJ Clean Air Act.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Theyve been under the same laws as smoking in NJ since before vaping was cool. Can't do it inside public places. Sucks. Vape shops included. (And expos)
Vaping is the same as smoking in nj. I've been lucky and was warned instead of ticked by transit cops.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Mikea262

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I haven't really had any notable problems in nj. I even went to the expo! I can understand not vaping in Restruants and bars. Many of them are no longer equipped with air circulation and cleaning equipment like they were in the smoking days. A lot of the shops I go to only allow sampling. They seem to get into trouble when they are constantly setting off fire alarms. Like anything else, I think as long as you're respectful of others you shouldn't have any problems

Mikea262

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@NYNURSE what happened, you never wanted to turn that gun in for a pillow? Haha, the banter builds the bond. Fd vs pd are some of the best hockey games I've ever seen

Been a firefighter - fulltime here in Glasgow,Scotland,UK - and smoke cigars during breaks,but vape indoors (the wife hates smoke!).Retiring next year after 30 years service.Intend to take up "vaping" more ...and glad to be out of shift work - especially nights.

Mikea262

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Congrats on the upcoming retirement!!! So cigars and firefighters go hand in hand across the pond too huh? There are a few hold over traditions... I remember guys having flasks of blackberry brandy in their gear during the winter

robo74

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Never gets old.

I ride with FF and LEOs, so this humor goes back and forth. Love my brothers.

I know this is a really old post, but I work full time as a firefighter, part time EMT, and Captain at my volunteer department and I just started vaping this month.

VU Sponsors