Become a Patron!

Any way to alter 0.4 coil to get flavor at lower watts?

rturner76

Member For 4 Years
I found this sweet deal on Triton coils that was so good I didn't even pay attention to the ohns or have a Triton 2 at the time but I bought them anyway like a truckload of them. So I sent for a couple T2s and vaped it with the 0.4 coil that it came with and I couldn't get much flavor in the wattage I like to vape at (around 12 or so).. It's rated for 20-25 but I just don't like the flavor up that high. Probably because I really prefer a long slow inhale or a "hybrid" inhale I guess it's called. Anyway, I'm stuck with this satchel of 0.4 ohm coils and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to them short of rebuilding them in order to get more flavor at a lower wattage like poke a hole in it or something. I don't know. I thought about asking my local vape shop if they would do a 2 for 1 trade but I doubt they would not knowing the source of the coils.

What do you think? Any suggestions? I'm vaping on a istick TC40

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You could try the hole in the wick thing, but I doubt that would help much. The problem that you have is the coil isn't getting hot enough to properly atomize the liquid. About the only thing I can think of that might work is to bump your wattage, starting at 12w, up 1w at a time (or less if the mod is capable of smaller adjustments) until you start hitting flavor that is more to your liking. And don't be afraid to push past 20w, you never know, a bit more than 20 might be just what you are looking for. There's nothing that says you have to use a coil in it's rated range, but there is a limit to how low you can go and still have it doing it's job.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Shutting down the af would result in the coil heating faster. You will have to raise the watts up some tho, probably around 15w will get you in a better flavor neighborhood while still maintaining a coolish vape.

rturner76

Member For 4 Years
Shutting down the af would result in the coil heating faster. You will have to raise the watts up some tho, probably around 15w will get you in a better flavor neighborhood while still maintaining a coolish vape.
I'm sorry, I still don't know all the vapespeak and techniques. What is the af? I'm pretty sure I can go to 15 if I don't chain vape.

@Kranky Kanger 20 is where is actually begins to function properly 25 and it's chuggin depending on the juice. It's just that something seems to happen to the juice when I start going from 15 to 20. It doesn't taste like it's burning but it seems to alter the flavor somehow and it's not as rich to me, It's seems to break down the juice and I will taste certain parts of the mix more than others. But I have been opening up the air flow trying to do more of a full on direct lung hit but I haven't hit my stride yet. .

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Af is airflow. The Cleito was one of my daily drivers for a few months and I could get a cool favorable vape at 22w. Just play with af and watts. Only you can know where the sweet spot on that tank is. Don't get too hung up on watts when you change tanks, they all will likely have a different sweet spot for you.

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
[QUOTE="@Kranky Kanger 20 is where is actually begins to function properly 25 and it's chuggin depending on the juice. It's just that something seems to happen to the juice when I start going from 15 to 20. It doesn't taste like it's burning but it seems to alter the flavor somehow and it's not as rich to me, It's seems to break down the juice and I will taste certain parts of the mix more than others. But I have been opening up the air flow trying to do more of a full on direct lung hit but I haven't hit my stride yet. .[/QUOTE]

Not uncommon at all. Higher watts = more heat from the coil, obviously. What you are experiencing is not really a break down of the juice, but rather the higher temp of the coil enhancing different aspects of the flavor. This can happen with as little as 1w + or -. When I try a new flavor I always play with the wattage up and down to find the "sweet spot" for that flavor. I tried a black cherry french vanilla blend not to long ago. At 40w the cherry came though quite strong, at 41w the vanilla started to show up more, and at 42 there was a strong vanilla flavor with just a hint of cherry. I settled on 41w and was happy. Anyway, the point is, play with wattage in small increments, it can surprise you. And as Letitia mentioned, fiddle with your air flow as well. I start with wattage to get the best flavor possible, then I'll play with air flow to fine tune. If you just can't seem to get it, then try a different flavor or if all else fails a different coil may be in order. Just experiment, that's half the fun! :bliss:

VU Sponsors