Become a Patron!

Anybody know much about ankle sprains?

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've sprained my ankles, feet, and wrists many times in the past, but it was never very bad, never like my recent ankle sprain.

On the 29th, my knee gave out while climbing out of my semi causing me to fall. I landed hard on my left foot on uneven ground with a few inch difference in height and twisted my ankle. Had severe pain, nausea, then got real tired and fell asleep for a few hours.

After a few days I was able to walk almost fine again and the pain has been nearly gone.

But it's now more then a week later and the swelling is still bad, I'm starting to get bruising all around my foot, been exhausted since falling, and I can hardly rotate my ankle to point my toes in or out (no pain, just hardly moves), and can't pivot on it while standing or walking.

Anybody else have a bad sprain and know if this stuff is normal?

Still on the road until next week so can't go to the doctor until at least Monday or Tuesday.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I could walk om a broken leg so my best advice is to see a Doctor or the ER because you need an X-Ray to see if you broke a bone. Good Luck

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I once broke a bone in my foot doing the same thing but waited too long to see a Doctor about it and I had that Plantar Fraciitis which is a broken bone in your foot. Took months to finally heal and still bothers me until this day.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Man that sucks, hope you feel better soon. I agree with getting it checked out asap, in the mean time ice and ibuprofen.
All those minor sprains when we were younger that we forgot about eventually come back to say hey.
Once damaged it’s prone to the same injury. Same here several sprains, one bad one playing ball came down wrong tore ligaments and chipped a bone in my ankle.
Years later my ankle stays swollen 24/7 and bruising at the ankle and toes that never goes away. I’m 35, on my feet on concrete or driving a truck all day as well, driving sucks. Hope yours eventually goes away., but it may not.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Once damaged it’s prone to the same injury.

Not always~! I once broke my leg and it is the strongest bone in my body to date. Depending on the type of injury and how it was treated depends on how it heals. Un-treated wounds may not heal correctly. I was skiing before I could walk without a cane. Doctor told me it was OK to go but I might break a knee since they were weakened due to not being used.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Luckily my truck is an automatic so no issues driving. I do miss driving a manual but my knee doesn't.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Not always~! I once broke my leg and it is the strongest bone in my body to date. Depending on the type of injury and how it was treated depends on how it heals. Un-treated wounds may not heal correctly. I was skiing before I could walk without a cane. Doctor told me it was OK to go but I might break a knee since they were weakened due to not being used.
Yeah they say bones heal back thicker and sometimes even stronger, wish this was the case with connective tissue. Never broken a bone myself, but had several dislocations until I finally had to have corrective surgery to tighten everything up .
Luckily my truck is an automatic so no issues driving. I do miss driving a manual but my knee doesn't.
Used to only drive sticks, now days I do prefer to just put it in gear and go. Manuals are fun, but not as a daily driver or work truck (frees up the vape hand)

VU Sponsors