Become a Patron!

Anyone actually vaping over 50 watts?

saytar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Uhhh OK.........tested, OK........................Local Witch Doctor? ........ROFLAMAO

I Hear ya.....run mine (and Boreas) at no less than 45w..............usually between 45-60w, just depends on juice (and how well I get it wicked) my Claptons won't even get out of bed for less......guess I'd better get a referral to your "Witch Doctor". :tantrum:

Rhett1977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I usually vape between 150-175 with my dripper. I don't use tanks at all. I run dual aliens at .11 ohms. 12 nic juice. I was at 24 nic in December so I'm getting my nic down. 12 just is hard for me. I like 18 better. 30/70 so I get a good throat hit. I know you're supposed to use 10/90 for a dripper but I do fine with this. On bad days I do go over 200 if I use my Realeaux. On my Hohm Wrecker I like between 140-171. I use the xxx mode with temp at 700 and fsk at 50%. I've gotta play with the fsk a little more. My wife Vapes at 70-85 with a tank or a dripper. The setup I have on her Phoenix ohms out at 110. She likes it so I'm happy. She uses 20/80 juice.

cking2

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got a crown, vape it at 50

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

What am I doing wrong? Im running dual 26 gauge kanthol 3.5mm Id 10 wrap reading at .74ohms in a geek vape tsunami and can't find the sweet spot at all?! From 20 watts to 80 watts I've stepped up in 1 volt increments and disappointed. I've also ran dual fused claptons at .4 ohms, 24 gauge from 5 wraps to 12 wraps and I'm just not getting what I know I should out of these builds? I am a noob to rda's so be gentle

saytar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What am I doing wrong? Im running dual 26 gauge kanthol 3.5mm Id 10 wrap reading at .74ohms in a geek vape tsunami and can't find the sweet spot at all?! From 20 watts to 80 watts I've stepped up in 1 volt increments and disappointed. I've also ran dual fused claptons at .4 ohms, 24 gauge from 5 wraps to 12 wraps and I'm just not getting what I know I should out of these builds? I am a noob to rda's so be gentle

Not sure exactly what it is your looking for..the flavor or clouds or both? One thing I do know personally I don't like the metaliic flavor that you get with Kanthal. I went to SS Claptons (and regular SS coils) and I'm much happier with the LACK of metal flavor in my vape I don't use Kanthal at all anymore in anything. Also I have found that wicking too tight (gotta fluff that cotton) in the juice channels chokes down the juice flow.......the looser you can run the wicking without getting it running out the air holes, the better flavor (and clouds) that I get. The Clapton's don't really start perculating until you hit 40-50 watts, so anything less than say 40 watts on dual Claptons is a waste of time.....
I Don't have the tsunami so can't talk to it directly, but the wire choice and wicking technique has a major impact on the Griffin 25, the Boreas, the SMOK RDTA's and SMOK RTA's and how well the flavor comes thru especially the wicking technique with good flavor free wire taste...

Also if your using 3.5 mm ID coils it IS especially important to get a proper amount of wicking inside the coil....too little and they don't work well....too tight and your choking down the juice flow in the coil and a coil that size needs all the juice it can to vaporize properly....

In my rda I'm looking for flavor, I have 5 tanks to play with for clouds with the latest addition being the tfv8(which is a cloud beast like they say). I haven't played with ss but I've been reading more and more people moving to it and rayon for wicking. I think I will be purchasing some ss to play with and see what that does. So far between the kanthol and royal wire I am not getting the flavor I want at all. All of my tanks out perform my tsunami in every way thus far and that just doesn't seem right to me? My friends all swear by rda's for flavor chasing and I'm just not getting it

saytar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm using the all SS Claptons & wire from advancevapesupply.......I'm using them in all my tanks...the Boreas, the SMOK RTA & RDTA, the Griffin 25....I use and rotate them all and other than re-wicking every week or so I am still (3 months and running) using the same coils by just burning the build up off and rewicking with fresh COTTON wicking.) I'm not sure how long these coils will last, but so far after heating them up and when finished the coils still look almost new. The stainless to me is the best as it is much easier to build the coils and it stands up to heat much better than the other wires (except titanium...which is springy and somewhat hard to coil properly). On my dual coils 5 wraps of Clapton wire on 3.0 mm ID on each coil gives me .26 to .28 ohms consistently and although I've tried doing some with more wraps at around .5 ohm I find the .28 ohm seems to be the best all around resistance, especially in my Boreas....mountains of cloud and extremely good flavor..
Want an RDA type vape with a tank..............go Boreas.....the tank is a beast for both.....with 5.2 ml tank....

It seems to me that the Bottom Coil, direct to coil type tanks gives pretty much an RDA experience with tank convenience..........And you wick them almost exactly like you would an RDA, just laying the cotton down in the bottom covering the juice holes.......prime and vape....be sure to form a nice open air space under your coils and don't fill it all packed with cotton or wicking material, leave some space for the air to move across ALL the coil...top AND bottom....this might require you to move your coils a bit higher on the deck to get it done, but this too has been known to help with flavor.

You also might try coiling some Clapton wire at the smaller 3.0 mm size for more flavor and I'd only go for the larger ID with the more exotic coils with much more surface area for vapor production.......I'm not sure just plain Claptons have enough surface area to do the larger ID coils..

Thanks Saytar! I will be ordering some ss to play with in the very near future! My air holes are at the bottom on my tsunami, I lifted my coils toward the top of my posts and haven't noticed a difference. I may try lowering them a bit just to see what happens? Also gonna give a single build a try again, seems I got better flavor from a single setup than I'm getting in any dual configuration so far. Thinking about getting a boreas just to have another rda to play with

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Personally, I don't like SS. I build with A-1 and N80. The only reading I saw you post was .74 ohms. That just seems ****, unless you're using a Mech. All my builds come in between .10 - .22, I vape between 100w and 150w and I get huge clouds and tremendous flavor, even from my 13H9H which is designed with Clouds not Flavor, in mind. All that said, it's you. It isn't your material, it isn't your atomizer, it's all you. Increase your wire size, reduce your wraps and ramp up your wattage also watch some videos on wicking, dime to a dollar says your wick is FUBAR. Buy some of those Notch Coils. I hear the ramp up is tarded fast, and they don't require lots of power. Maybe those will get you where you want to go. Any way, Good Luck, you'll figure it out.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Before you go switching to different wire you've never used, post a pic of your build so we don't have to guess about how to help. Any suggestion at this point is just that. A wild ass guess.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Before you go switching to different wire you've never used, post a pic of your build so we don't have to guess about how to help. Any suggestion at this point is just that. A wild ass guess.
+1
Playing with the airflow control might help.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
This is the most flavor I've gotten thus far in the tsunami. 28 gauge kanthol, 6 wraps, ohming at .33 still not where I think it should be but I'll keep working on it

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You may try pushing the coils a little closer to the airholes. That may help a bit.
This ^ and use less diameter and more wraps. For a simple round wire build, try 24 gauge kanthal. 7 or 8 wraps and 3mm i.d. is where I'd start. A smaller chamber rda would have better flavor also.

dev199505

Member For 3 Years
I like running around 75w on my smok Rsteam, but i have a question. My current coil says 55-70w is it safe to run it at 75w?

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I like running around 75w on my smok Rsteam, but i have a question. My current coil says 55-70w is it safe to run it at 75w?

Safe? Probably
Will is taste good? Probably not :confused:

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Yeah, for sure you are gonna burn your juice... 50/50 is not designed for that kind of heat.

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know it's a silly question but I'm curious with all the high wattage box mods coming out lately, does anyone even vape over 50? How about over 75? What are the benefits of having a 100 or 150 watt box mod?

People that use 100 plus watts ar most likely using a build that requires more ramp up. so 100 watts will feel like 40 watts to someone with a smaller build.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
443443f9b1baa839212bb3ab921e68d1.jpg
Have the TFV8 with the .15 ohm V8-T6 coil on the Primus at 16Ow..no noticeable ramp up at all...Just a warm, cloud blowin, vape.. love it!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

dev199505

Member For 3 Years
Have the TFV8 with the .15 ohm V8-T6 coil on the Primus at 16Ow..no noticeable ramp up at all...Just a warm, cloud blowin, vape.. love it!

I hear good things about the tfv8 really wanting to get one now that i have a 150w device lol

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hear good things about the tfv8 really wanting to get one now that i have a 150w device lol

6f7f30b0da1a8e866693c5fc9a46a640.jpg
If you like clouds you'll like the TFV8..I have three of them..one on the Primus and these two on RX mods with the Q4 coils at 110w...I'd get one and see what you think..it's an awesome tank, least it is for me.. :)

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Interesting to hear some people actually going over 50. I don't currently have a vv mod capable of vaping my builds so it's really an area I'm unfamiliar with. My igo w is always around .5-1ohm and my kayfun has been at 1.2ohms for a month+. Most of my clearos are happy around 10 watts or so. I have plans to upgrade to a dna 30 device but can't see going any further. I wouldn't go any higher than 20 but I want to to be able to fire down to .5.

Thanks for sharing all. Still no one hitting or going above 100 makes me wonder why anyone would buy these +100 watt devices.
I guess it comes down to ML or DL, who prefer deep lung hits like I do..
Also it makes sense for me to buy a mod that can fire 1-200w or more..I can always bump down power if needed but cant bump up vaping these new subohm tanks like the TFV8 with a mod that only does 50w or less...My mods are an investment, and very versatile....for me, more is better than less, all the way around.. lol

dev199505

Member For 3 Years
6f7f30b0da1a8e866693c5fc9a46a640.jpg
If you like clouds you'll like the TFV8..I have three of them..one on the Primus and these two on RX mods with the Q4 coils at 110w...I'd get one and see what you think..it's an awesome tank, least it is for me.. :)

I was gonna use the tfv8 stock coils and run them at 120w

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was gonna use the tfv8 stock coils and run them at 120w

That's a good starting point..
My kit came with the V8 .15 ohm coil installed, rated up to a whopping 260w..Smok recommends 120-180w best..,I like mine at 160w.
90ef5d7fe26353b583239640169288c9.jpg
I like the Q4 coil around 110w, within the range Smok recommends best..

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I meant more power. Some coils need more power! Like the thick big clapton things I don't use. For some reason I get a better vape from micro coils. Anyways. I just wanted to fix what I said. NIce setup!

subvapor

Member For 4 Years
I vape between 90 to 150 sometimes higher depends on how I feel lol I use tfv8 with the .15 ohm coil.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Lazy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I usually vape between 150-175 with my dripper. I don't use tanks at all. I run dual aliens at .11 ohms. 12 nic juice. I was at 24 nic in December so I'm getting my nic down. 12 just is hard for me. I like 18 better. 30/70 so I get a good throat hit. I know you're supposed to use 10/90 for a dripper but I do fine with this. On bad days I do go over 200 if I use my Realeaux. On my Hohm Wrecker I like between 140-171. I use the xxx mode with temp at 700 and fsk at 50%. I've gotta play with the fsk a little more. My wife Vapes at 70-85 with a tank or a dripper. The setup I have on her Phoenix ohms out at 110. She likes it so I'm happy. She uses 20/80 juice.

Damn bro I would prob pass out & need an ambulance vaping 18mg at those watts lol. I've been vaping between 90-130 at 0 or 1.5mg for about 9 months now and my lungs are starting to feel heavy & congested. Maybe I've just had a cold for the last few weeks but lately I've been toning down the rda vaping & going to my rdta's more. 50W aromamizer, 80w griffin. I even dug out the subtank last night & vaping 23W 3core twisted SS claptons

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn bro I would prob pass out & need an ambulance vaping 18mg at those watts lol. I've been vaping between 90-130 at 0 or 1.5mg for about 9 months now and my lungs are starting to feel heavy & congested. Maybe I've just had a cold for the last few weeks but lately I've been toning down the rda vaping & going to my rdta's more. 50W aromamizer, 80w griffin. I even dug out the subtank last night & vaping 23W 3core twisted SS claptons
I'm with you, lol
I'm vaping 2.5 mgs of nic between 100-160w for awhile now..18 mgs would kill me at those wattages, lol

otto85

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think most people that vape that high are into more of the rip trippers/twisted messes hobby coil builder crowd. I rarely go into my local shop anymore, but when I do, the people doing it are the "new breed" who never actually smoked and just got into it as a hobby to be cool. Let's face it, the majority of us started this to get off cigarettes and could care less about "clouds". Yeah, some may play around with RDA's and building in the lower sub ohm ranges, but you don't NEED that to stay off of the stinkies. The only "high power mods" that I own, I just bought for double batteries to make my using them at 15-20 watts last 3 days..LOL

I mean no disrespect but that is a wild assumption, everyone I know personally that vapes (myself included) vapes high wattage and stated vaping to kick the butts. I personally don't always go really high watts I tend to stay at around 80-100 watts but some days I don't get my mic fix unless I'm pushing 150 watts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I mean no disrespect but that is a wild assumption, everyone I know personally that vapes (myself included) vapes high wattage and stated vaping to kick the butts. I personally don't always go really high watts I tend to stay at around 80-100 watts but some days I don't get my mic fix unless I'm pushing 150 watts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree 100%
8b8a5e4482f64c66a506c7ffe7e2af40.jpg
I vape these 4 mods in rotation..from 80-160w...The Koopor/CloudBeast at 160w is the best cloud blowing tank I ever owned, lol
Awesome nic hit too!

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I've used a few builds that needed 65-75W but 98% of the time I am under 50W and 40% of the time I am under 15W

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm DL 100% of the time..
I enjoy the wide open airflow of these newer subtanks and RDA's
493f44961178f2257a8f52f7a392d3bf.jpg
And have fun fogging up my room, lol
Haven't vaped under 60w in a number of yrs..stared with a Provari/ProTank like in 2011 and today it's subohm all the way..
Different strokes for different folks I reckon, it's all good

dev199505

Member For 3 Years
I vape to stop smoking and rarely vape less than 60watts, and thats only cause my coil now maxes at 70, once i get the tfv8 ill be at 120w constant

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I vape to stop smoking and rarely vape less than 60watts, and thats only cause my coil now maxes at 70, once i get the tfv8 ill be at 120w constant

I hear ya, lol
I started vaping to quit smoking too.. I've been tobacco free for over 6 yrs now thanks to vaping.. Difference is in my learning curve..
I started as newbie, tootle puffing on a Provari/ProTank but realized I needed a better nicotine delivery if I was to remain tobacco free..so I got into mechs learned ohms law and recently these high powered regulated mods came out.. it's still RDA's, RTA's and now awesome subtanks too, that vape great without messy dripping...(60-160w, depending on juice)
Favorite is the TFV8..I'm fortunate enough to own three of them..killer tank and I'm sure you'll love yours too.... :)

Last edited:

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I'm one of those 60W max sorts. More of restricted DL, but do like enough air flow to not feel like i'm sucking through a straw. Most of the time my builds are ~.5 ohm SS in TC at 30W/450F, so not a heavy hitter at all. One thing that has "helped" in stepping up from my low wattage setups is being down to 3 to 6 mg inc from 24 mg at start to 12 mg after a while. And I still don't vape big volumes, only 5-7 ml a day. I'm a lightweight.:)

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm one of those 60W max sorts. More of restricted DL, but do like enough air flow to not feel like i'm sucking through a straw. Most of the time my builds are ~.5 ohm SS in TC at 30W/450F, so not a heavy hitter at all. One thing that has "helped" in stepping up from my low wattage setups is being down to 3 to 6 mg inc from 24 mg at start to 12 mg after a while. And I still don't vape big volumes, only 5-7 ml a day. I'm a lightweight.:)
You know now that you mentioned it In looking at the 60w Provari Radius box mod..a quality mod built here in the USA..it's pricey at $200 but will last for years..And backed up by Provape ..I say this because of Chinese mods not lasting 6mos, like my $200 SX Mini..I need a quality mod, lol
Be a good mod to get as an upgrade to the P2.5 that I've had a number of yrs and still works great today..the Radius will fire down to
.3 ohm which means I can build a good dual coil RTA for it..I need something like this to take a break from vaping at 100w+ on Chinese mods, lol

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
You know now that you mentioned it In looking at the 60w Provari Radius box mod..a quality mod built here in the USA..it's pricey at $200 but will last for years..And backed up by Provape ..I say this because of Chinese mods not lasting 6mos, like my $200 SX Mini..I need a quality mod, lol
Be a good mod to get as an upgrade to the P2.5 that I've had a number of yrs and still works great today..the Radius will fire down to
.3 ohm which means I can build a good dual coil RTA for it..I need something like this to take a break from vaping at 100w+ on Chinese mods, lol

If you're looking to buy a quality mod the Radius is terrific so long as 60W will hold you. for that price, I would compare it against a Dicodes box. The Dicodes is a bit more money and you'll have to arrange a buy overseas (not a big deal and way better than the over the top price their US distributor asks) and you have a solid quality box with a 2 year warranty. You wouldn't go wrong with either. When you're talking about a sizable investment for something that really will last you years, it's always nice to have 2 to compare against.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're looking to buy a quality mod the Radius is terrific so long as 60W will hold you. for that price, I would compare it against a Dicodes box. The Dicodes is a bit more money and you'll have to arrange a buy overseas (not a big deal and way better than the over the top price their US distributor asks) and you have a solid quality box with a 2 year warranty. You wouldn't go wrong with either. When you're talking about a sizable investment for something that really will last you years, it's always nice to have 2 to compare against.
The Radius comes with a one yr warranty and a two yr option..
As long as I'm not chasing clouds I think 60w would work..I have a .32 ohm build in a Griffin RTA that vapes great at 55w..but it's on a old IPV4..lol

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I'd probably feel more confident running at 55W on a 60W Radius than an IPV4. :)

Then again, I sometimes run at 50W on my little 75W Pico and it never complains.But my general rule on the Chinese made consumer affordable stuff is no more than 1/2~2/3 their power rating. I never push them up close to their max. I honestly don't trust their boards and wiring for that. Call me a nervous Nelly, but I vape in the better safe than sorry category.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd probably feel more confident running at 55W on a 60W Radius than an IPV4. :)

Then again, I sometimes run at 50W on my little 75W Pico and it never complains.But my general rule on the Chinese made consumer affordable stuff is no more than 1/2~2/3 their power rating. I never push them up close to their max. I honestly don't trust their boards and wiring for that. Call me a nervous Nelly, but I vape in the better safe than sorry category.
You know I'm starting to see that too..And just this morning I noticed the IPV4 wasn't hitting right..on the display it said 3.9v with the 3.2 ohm coil, but it actually was only 3.2v when I checked it with a inline voltmeter..I think it's time for a new mod and not waste anymore money on Chinese junk, lol

aholloway1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm currently vaping at the highest wattage I've ever hit, 80 watts on a .25 Crown. My kanger subtanks with .5 SS coils I run at no more than 35 watts. Go figure.

VU Sponsors