Become a Patron!

Anyone experiement with irregular coils?

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
different shapes I mean ...I understand why we use round coils but just wondering if anyone had success with other types

I’ve never tried a stove top for instance or a non round coil (outside of mesh or the notched ones aspire bought out) just wondering what peeps have tried before and whether they had any success with it in contrast

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Been tempted to try a radiator (?) vertical coil in the vls.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Occasionally I wrap a coil around an Allen (hex) key for that hexagon shape!

The Wire Spider

nice how’s it work out? was thinking a triangle shape or something along those lines for bottom airflow under it

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Been tempted to try a radiator (?) vertical coil in the vls.

Could try a weave or corrugated pattern or something on the VLS Letitia?

@f1r3b1rd mentioned using wicking on the outside like with the old styles mind you not sure how that would work out with side airflow

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Could try a weave or corrugated pattern or something on the VLS Letitia?

@f1r3b1rd mentioned using wicking on the outside like with the old styles mind you not sure how that would work out with side airflow
Tried outside wicking, it didn't go well.

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I once made an Ivy coil, which is a vertical piece of corrugated ribbon sandwiched between two pieces of regular ribbon... and it was god awful.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've been thinking about doing a sort of "cone spiral" design (like a stovetop formed over a cone) Also found some decks with tall center post and three outer posts (would only use one for this) Has three side air slots. Coil will be spaced. I know this will work (just waiting to get the deck to try it) but not sure how to wick it. Stuff the entire inside with wick? Seems overkill and no air would flow under the coil. Any suggestions for wicking this?

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I've been thinking about doing a sort of "cone spiral" design (like a stovetop formed over a cone) Also found some decks with tall center post and three outer posts (would only use one for this) Has three side air slots. Coil will be spaced. I know this will work (just waiting to get the deck to try it) but not sure how to wick it. Stuff the entire inside with wick? Seems overkill and no air would flow under the coil. Any suggestions for wicking this?
This has been done, iirc they usually just drape the wick over the coil. Guess you could go old school and wrap the coil & wick together.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've tried to do a pair of rods as the core.. Wraps fine. THen, when you remove the rods, the damned thing goes all apeshit and your core is no longer regular. So much for that one.

Those coils work good however you have to flame em (anneal) before removing from rods so they hold their shape.

VU Sponsors