Become a Patron!

Anyone got some thoughts on SMOK TFV4?

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Could be TC vs Claptons. I didn't have time to build when my mini finally showed up so I just wicked the stock clapton and everything went fine (actually thinking of getting a few more minis to revive my IVP mini 2's and M80+, maybe use up some of this kanthal stock pile I have).
It was after I built a TC coil that I had problems with it feeding too fast or too slow.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks. Would you recommend it for a full size TFV4?
Id actually prefer the Clapton Deck for both models,
IF I could get it to Stop Leaking.
So far...No Luck.
Cant figure out what's going wrong with it.
I'm going to try my Dual Coil Deck and wicking method
(That I KNOW doesn't leak)
in the Mini sometime today.
If it leaks...then Ill know there is something wrong with the Tank rings rather than it being a wicking problem.

Id really appreciate it if someone who uses the Clapton Deck would chime in and/or post pictures of their wicking method that is working and Not Leaking.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Id actually prefer the Clapton Deck for both models,
IF I could get it to Stop Leaking.
So far...No Luck.
Cant figure out what's going wrong with it.
I'm going to try my Dual Coil Deck and wicking method
(That I KNOW doesn't leak)
in the Mini sometime today.
If it leaks...then Ill know there is something wrong with the Tank rings rather than it being a wicking problem.

Id really appreciate it if someone who uses the Clapton Deck would chime in and/or post pictures of their wicking method that is working and Not Leaking.
I cant wait, my TF-RCA comes in tomorrow, I wont have to build tiny ass wires just so they'll fit under one screw/mount....can remove one screw and have a nice wide/thick wire to use!
This is how Ive been building lately for the Goblin Mini and the TF RBA's:
The wire to the lower left is 24g and 26g above it, to show the comparison on how small these damn things are...I accidentally dropped the wire after wrapping them with the swivels and I had a hard time finding the wire-and it landed in my fucking lap!
20151118_122956-jpg.34010
20151118_122938-jpg.34009

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I replied to our convo Blacktooth
Try This (Pancake Wicking Method)
But where on the pic, above the juice channels is where you want the cotton to rest, not in or bunched above but loosely fluffed just above it. Your cotton will keep it in balance and the vacuum pressure will even out if it is a problem.
3GoJRcb.jpg
No luck with the pancake method.
In fact it was the worst ever to be honest.
As soon as I filled it the first time (even with the afc closed)
All the juice dumped out as soon as I opened it.:confused:

Reactions: Myk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I would say its not the cotton, If different wicking methods have failed then it may be from another source...Do you have 2 O-Rings on the bottom of the RBA/Coilheads? one above the Pin and one above the threads/below the deck lip? Are they in decent condition? Inspect the Coilhead for any scratches/burrs, if its neither then Ill be damned..

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Getting a little leaking for the clapton RBA as well. I don't think it's a tank issue as other coils heads in there were fine. Just have to refine the wicking. Maybe it's just because of the size difference but the juice wells seem even deeper, certainly on par if not larger than the other RBAs but with a smaller overall coilhead size.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would say its not the cotton, If different wicking methods have failed then it may be from another source...Do you have 2 O-Rings on the bottom of the RBA/Coilheads? one above the Pin and one above the threads/below the deck lip? Are they in decent condition? Inspect the Coilhead for any scratches/burrs, if its neither then Ill be damned..
2 rings????

Uh...No.
Mine only came with 1 ring just under the threads right below the deck.

Got a pic?

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After the instant flood with the pancake method I tried filling the juice channels with even more cotton before filling. It worked okay for about 5 minutes then the juice poured out again.

I'm just baffled.
It worked fine the first night for the first tank with the same wedge cut wick with the tail half way down the channels. After that...flood after flood.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

That was my experience with the regular RBA and why I didn't fully try it with the RCA.

Try what I did. Plenty of cotton, stuff it up in the cover dry, screw it on, then poke the cotton down so it's well filled but none down in the channels.

This didn't work on my single and dual (they needed some down in the channels but not too much, and a packed chamber) but it seems to be working out on the RCA. Its feeding plenty fast and none leaked over night where it was able to pour out by morning.
I'm not sure I'd trust it leaving the top open for long but it's not running through as fast as it was on other attempts with the top open.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
2 rings????

Uh...No.
Mine only came with 1 ring just under the threads right below the deck.

Got a pic?
Mine had 2 on it and the one above the threads broke and I replaced it with a thicker red rings, thats when I saw the smaller one below that
O rings.jpg

Last edited:

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That was my experience with the regular RBA and why I didn't fully try it with the RCA.

Try what I did. Plenty of cotton, stuff it up in the cover dry, screw it on, then poke the cotton down so it's well filled but none down in the channels.

This didn't work on my single and dual (they needed some down in the channels but not too much, and a packed chamber) but it seems to be working out on the RCA. Its feeding plenty fast and none leaked over night where it was able to pour out by morning.
I'm not sure I'd trust it leaving the top open for long but it's not running through as fast as it was on other attempts with the top open.
I'll give it a try Myk.
I've seen it done that way on a video and work, but the I've also seen it done the way I was doing it and work...haha. So who knows.
We'll see.

So did it leak after the refill with that method?
Dry hits?
What ratio juice do you use?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Minie had 2 on it and the one above the threads broke and I replaced it with a thicker red rings, thats when I saw the smaller one below that
View attachment 34012
Don't think I saw one there. The RCA is a bit different in that instead of a short cylinder with holes in it, it's simply some posts down to a flat circular base. I'll double check when I get home but don't think there's enough of a lip at the top where it connects back to a cylinder for there to be an o-ring there.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The TFV4 TF-RCA doesn't come like that.
At least not mine.
I see...I dont have the RCA yet, It wont be here untill tomorrow. Ill see if the same issue plagues me also or not then. Do you have the same problem with the other rba's or coilheads?

The RCA lip looks thin and short compared to every other coil, It looks like if the oring had even a small piece missing that would be where leaking would happen.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Might be a good idea, just grab a fatter o-ring and see if it does the trick.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'll give it a try Myk.
I've seen it done that way on a video and work, but the I've also seen it done the way I was doing it and work...haha. So who knows.
We'll see.

So did it leak after the refill with that method?
Dry hits?
What ratio juice do you use?

No leaking over night with top closed. No noticeable draining while filling like one of my other tries.
Feed rate kept up with vaping TC unlike the one where I packed the channels full leaving some stick out like a protank head. No drop off in vapor indicating a dry hit on non-TC.
No leaking on refill.

Possibly scratch all that. I may have had some leaking while it was standing here charging, but before then I did have the top open for a while to see if it would drain. I'd at least say it will leak with the top open.

I think it's the height difference of the deck inside and the air hole being too short. Maybe there's a sweet spot on how far into the channel to get the wick to slow it down enough to not make that short jump. That's the only idea I have left.
Maybe if I haven't figured out a reliable wicking method by the time my spares show up I'll sacrifice one to a dremel and see if I can lower that deck.

I use VG, 10% flavoring (probably PG), 10% water.

7110535e61f8b0d7d0f215b245478719.jpg

Myk.

Can you conforim the ring count on the TFV4 TF-RCA?

Looks right from memory, but I can neither confirm or deny, mine is full and I'm sick of messing with it for now :)

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've also seen it done the way I was doing it and work...haha

After having my single insta-dump I looked at videos and saw people doing things that couldn't possibly work (wick barely touching the deck) if my way dumped.

With the RCA I'm packing quite a bit down against the deck. I also pack a lot into the dual and single, the difference being I also have some down in the channels (but not packed) to help draw it up. I think that was flooding with this, but it was OK with the clapton coil.

Once again, we're beta testers.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After having my single insta-dump I looked at videos and saw people doing things that couldn't possibly work (wick barely touching the deck) if my way dumped.

With the RCA I'm packing quite a bit down against the deck. I also pack a lot into the dual and single, the difference being I also have some down in the channels (but not packed) to help draw it up. I think that was flooding with this, but it was OK with the clapton coil.

Once again, we're beta testers.
And is it leaking upon refill now?

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
And is it leaking upon refill now?

To answer that directly, no it wasn't when I last refilled it but I wouldn't be so sure it wouldn't next time I refilled it.

I'm testing flavors right now so I'm running the wicks pretty dry between fills. That could keep it from having time to leak on a refill.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's just leaking again. #@&$!

I don't know what else to try (besides grinding) except to stuff more in the chamber.
You know...
It's starting to make me wonder if those juice channels on the RCA are just too damn big. They're considerably larger than the Dual Coil RBA.

It's almost time for me to get off.
When I get home I'll wick one of my Dual Coil Decks with the method that I know works. And we'll see what happens.
If it leaks like a bitch in heat (the way it has been with the RCA) then I'll know something else has to be wrong with MY tank other than wicking.
But if it holds...
then it has to be wicking.
And I mean c'mon....
There's only SO MANY ways you can try.
Might be a bad design, idk.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You know...
It's starting to make me wonder if those juice channels on the RCA are just too damn big. They're considerably larger than the Dual Coil RBA.

Larger than the dual but I don't think they're larger than the single. Difference being the single has a lot more height from the deck to the air hole.

It's definitely a bad design, it shouldn't be this hard to figure out how to get the right balance between too much and not enough. In the least it's picky to get right.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Larger than the dual but I don't think they're larger than the single. Difference being the single has a lot more height from the deck to the air hole.

It's definitely a bad design, it shouldn't be this hard to figure out how to get the right balance between too much and not enough. In the least it's picky to get right.
I'll have to trust Ya on that one.
To be honest, I never even took the original Single RBA out of the box. Lol.
I just didn't think it would perform well.

Does it?
Would the Clapton fit on that deck?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No, it's probably 20-22g hole on the single RBA and since the screws are more or less flush against the cap you can't really wrap around that either, at least not in a way that gives you much more room.

I ended up drilling out the holes in mine and now I run a triple twisted 24g wire in a vertical build... best vape I've gotten from my TFv4 so far. So the single RBA can be solid, but takes some modification (there's a thread about it on here). It makes the stock quad coil look like nothing :cool:

But, that and high ohm builds are all it's good for really, so either play with it, or set up a MTL type build. I wonder if the RCA plug fits in the single RBA?

Anyways, yeah the RCA does seem to be a little funky, to me mainly the juice flow is way more than is needed for anything you'd build inside that thing. But, I'll keep trying, gives me something to do.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'll have to trust Ya on that one.
To be honest, I never even took the original Single RBA out of the box. Lol.
I just didn't think it would perform well.

Does it?
Would the Clapton fit on that deck?

I'm all TC. Compared to the dual I get no benefit from the TC duals it just kills my batteries faster and is harder to build/wick.

What I don't like about the single and why I had hopes for the RCA is the leg length is nuts on the single. With TC I'm worried about getting a hot leg (haven't yet) and hot spots turn TC from good to horrible. I make sure to pack a bunch of wick around the legs to avoid that.

I'd say flavor and clouds in TC are equal between the single and dual (and RCA when it's not flooding).

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No, it's probably 20-22g hole on the single RBA and since the screws are more or less flush against the cap you can't really wrap around that either, at least not in a way that gives you much more room.

I ended up drilling out the holes in mine and now I run a triple twisted 24g wire in a vertical build... best vape I've gotten from my TFv4 so far. So the single RBA can be solid, but takes some modification (there's a thread about it on here). It makes the stock quad coil look like nothing :cool:

But, that and high ohm builds are all it's good for really, so either play with it, or set up a MTL type build. I wonder if the RCA plug fits in the single RBA?

Anyways, yeah the RCA does seem to be a little funky, to me mainly the juice flow is way more than is needed for anything you'd build inside that thing. But, I'll keep trying, gives me something to do.
Actually I just checked.
And Smok's Clapton Coil does fit the holes on the original Single RBA.
Would it tighten down properly... idk. Didn't try it.
Maybe though.

The air hole on the original single rba looks smaller than on the RCA, so I don't think that plug would work. I would imagine the air flow on the single rba is more restricted in comparison to the RCA for that reason as well. Is it?

The other thing I just noticed with both the Single and Dual RBA'S:
The o-ring comes into Direct Contact with the juice Wells.
On the RCA...there is a Lip that separates the o-ring from the juice wells.
I don't know if that would make ANY difference or not, but it IS different than the other two.

BTW...
Got a link to that thread you mentioned?

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm all TC. What I don't like about the single and why I had hopes for the RCA is the leg length is nuts on the single. With TC I'm worried about getting a hot leg (haven't yet) and hot spots turn TC from good to horrible. I make sure to pack a bunch of wick around the legs to avoid that.

That makes sense.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well...
I wicked up the Dual Coil RBA,
and put the o-ring from the Clapton RBA on it so the seals would be identical,
Vaped it for a while, then let it pretty much sit stactic for 40 minutes while taking a couple rips every 10 minutes.
IT HASN'T LEAKED AT ALL GUYS.

I suppose the real test will be later tonight after the refill,
But it seems obvious that all the rings are in tact and the wicking is fine.

Its really making me think that the problem is just that Clapton Deck.
Something is just off.
I really hope I'm wrong about that because it would be a great deck to use,
And hopefully someone will Prove this statement wrong by posting a wicking method or trick that works!

So that's all for now.
I'll let you all know later tonight or tomorrow if it leaks after a refill.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Well...
I wicked up the Dual Coil RBA,
and put the o-ring from the Clapton RBA on it so the seals would be identical,
Vaped it for a while, then let it pretty much sit stactic for 40 minutes while taking a couple rips every 10 minutes.
IT HASN'T LEAKED AT ALL GUYS.

I suppose the real test will be later tonight after the refill,
But it seems obvious that all the rings are in tact and the wicking is fine.

Its really making me think that the problem is just that Clapton Deck.
Something is just off.
And hopefully someone will Prove this statement wrong by posting a wicking method or trick that works!

So that's all for now.
I'll let you all know later tonight or tomorrow if it leaks after a refill.
Maybe its machine a nano-meter smaller where the threads are or elsewhere then,post your results after the refill. Mine will be here around 11am tomorrow and Ill post whether or not I have the same issue.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe its machine a nano-meter smaller where the threads are or elsewhere then,post your results after the refill. Mine will be here around 11am tomorrow and Ill post whether or not I have the same issue.
I'm thinking that's a possibility too.

Hope you have better results than myself and Myk and can show us up!
Id really like to use it.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

You? I have 3 more coming from FastTech. Hopefully next year when they show up someone has a wicking method figured out.

3 does give me a spare to grind/weld on.

I'm torn on my next attempt. I could stuff some more cotton in there now, or I could run it dry and take it out to consider some modifications.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You? I have 3 more coming from FastTech. Hopefully next year when they show up someone has a wicking method figured out.

3 does give me a spare to grind/weld on.

I'm torn on my next attempt. I could stuff some more cotton in there now, or I could run it dry and take it out to consider some modifications.
Hahaha!
Yeah... that would irritate the SHIT out me too.
I was actually going to order another one myself on the first night because of how well it performed... but Not Now!
Maybe if we can get it figured out...but not until then!

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I went with pancake last night, so far no leaking, I was worried because it was gurgling a bit last night, but just got home and yay no mess. Yet to refill it, we'll see what happens then. But for now it's holding. I will say I poked some down in the juice well but most is fluffed up around the top, so maybe a hybrid. I will say the clapton is a nice flavor, cleaner is the best way to describe it, not that I'm getting metallic or cotton tastes with other things, but I just get the advertised flavor a bit more strongly, which is cool.

I'm going to finish this tank and see what happens and I'll get back. I was happy to see it hadn't leaked all night/day, but there was a little gurgling to start out.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I stuffed some more in there.
It will leak with the top open.
It chokes off with the top closed.

I'll be amazed if it can be solved with wicking alone.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I stuffed some more in there.
It will leak with the top open.
It chokes off with the top closed.

I'll be amazed if it can be solved with wicking alone.
When your done refilling the tank try sliding that white silicone seal counterclockwise until the fill hole is a perfect round circle and then carefully close the top. This seems to increase the vacuum pressure and help with wicking and more. Just give it a try, it wont hurt, it is great when using a brand new build or coil also.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Right after I posted that last update I tossed the tank in my pocket and went to grab some dinner. Pull it out and yup, leaking :mad:. So my best guess is when it lost contact with the juice on one side it opened it up for leaking. Anyways, the search continues.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When your done refilling the tank try sliding that white silicone seal counterclockwise until the fill hole is a perfect round circle and then carefully close the top. This seems to increase the vacuum pressure and help with wicking and more. Just give it a try, it wont hurt, it is great when using a brand new build or coil also.
Did you get yours in yet? I noticed unlike the full size the that seal has a knob that fits into a hole opposite the fill hole. Did you cut that off to be able to turn it freely? Honestly that might be a solid idea but would take a little modification. I already cut off the lip on the fill hole as it prevented me from being able to completely close the top.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Did you get yours in yet? I noticed unlike the full size the that seal has a knob that fits into a hole opposite the fill hole. Did you cut that off to be able to turn it freely? Honestly that might be a solid idea but would take a little modification. I already cut off the lip on the fill hole as it prevented me from being able to completely close the top.
Nope, it didnt go out for delivery today...I only got a Velocity rda, 1000ft of 40g Ni80 and 500ft of .5 Ribbon in..
Its at the hub along with a few other things that will be here tomorrow...kinda sucks I was excited to try it.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No leaking at all overnight with the Dual Coil Deck installed.
I mean Zero!
I even stuck some thin paper down through the AFC to see if any juice was built up on the bottom of the base.
None!

I refilled the tank about a half an hour ago.
No visable leaking.
After a half an hour I stuck some more paper through the AFC.
Just a slight wetting on the tip of the paper. Very slight. And no more than what I get with the Full Size TFV4.

So in my opinion...
The ridiculous leaking is Solely from the Clapton Deck itself, and/or not being able to find a proper wicking method for it.
With that said...I agree with Myk, and don't think this ridiculous leaking issue will be solved with wicking alone. I too think some sort of physical modification will need to be made to the RCA ITSELF along with a different wicking method.

Thats really too bad.
I hope someone figures it out soon.

****The one thing that I have noticed in messing with all of these decks is:
(And may or may not be related to the leaking) (just an observation)
Both the Dual Coil Deck and Single Coil Deck's Juice Wells meet up directly with the O-Ring underneath it.
The Clapton Deck DOES NOT!
There's a metal lip in-between the channels and the o-ring. ****

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For right now...
I'm moving on. That deck has pissed me off.

I found that the diameter of the Clapton Wire fits fine in the Single Coil Deck.
However...I'm not going to use it.
I now have a Twisted 26g build installed.
I also found that the air hole is the same size, so why not just use it for the same purpose?
We'll see how That Goes.

Have any of you used the Single Coil Deck?
Any Leaking?
Any Special Wicking Trick to IT?

I plan on just using the wedge cut with tail halfway down the channels like I do with my Dual Coil Deck, but if anyone knows of a better proven way...let me know and maybe save me some juice being dumped. Lol.

Last edited:

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes...it does Jerus.
I just confirmed this today.
Should have done it yesterday, but I was just trying to eyeball the hole sized through the coils. Sorry bud.
NP was a question of curiosity, I certainly won't be sing it on the single as I don't want/need less airflow on that vertical coil build.

I'm going to try a vertical coil on the RCA, maybe that different wicking method will prevent leaking?

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
NP was a question of curiosity, I certainly won't be sing it on the single as I don't want/need less airflow on that vertical coil build.

I'm going to try a vertical coil on the RCA, maybe that different wicking method will prevent leaking?
I wouldn't either.
Not sure why anyone would WANT to restrict the airflow with This Type of tank.
But hey...to each their own.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Always said the versatility of this tank is what makes me love it so much. I could toss that on, restrict the airflow a bit, build a higher ohm coil and have a more MTL type of vape. Not usually my style but it's nice when I want something more on the go, as blowing huge clouds isn't very well received in public.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I just pulled out my extra stuffing. Any little gush of liquid runs down the hole. The difference between base and airhole height isn't any different than a SubTank RDA.
The deck is not as wide, airhole larger, feed channel larger.

Well, I know you can wick it so it doesn't flow and I know you can wick it so it flows too much. There has to be a happy medium.
I'm think I'll try the stuffing dry wick down and push some into the channel this time. If that doesn't work maybe try stuffing extra up into the channels.

I also wonder about vertical.
Restricting airflow (but not as much as the MTL plug) might be the answer, sadly.

That deck has pissed me off.
I was definitely there last night. I switched to making clapton wire and went old school, made a gennie mesh wick and wrapped some clapton on it. Also made a clapton RDA.

Have any of you used the Single Coil Deck?
Any Leaking?
Any Special Wicking Trick to IT?

No problem except for my first time. I pack a lot of cotton in there. Light cotton into the channel. Cotton around the leg (to keep from getting a hot leg).

VU Sponsors