Become a Patron!

Anyone have an idea for DE-sweetening a flavor?

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One of my favorite winter flavors is Capella's fudge brownie. I mix it all by its lonesome at 10% and I just LOVE it, but I can't handle the sweetness for more than a few minutes. It almost makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, it's so sweet! LOL! I've been trying to think of something I could add that might possibly blunt that sickly sweetness, without changing the overall flavor too much.

I haven't tried mixing lower than 10% yet, but maybe I should. It would still be sweet, but maybe less flavor would equal a bit less sweet? I dunno. I guess I could try a different manufacturer, too, but I really like this Capella version.

Is there something I could try adding, maybe, to tone down the sweetness a little?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No idea on how to tone down the sweetness Lannie.

A big howdy btw. Looong time no see.
Keeping warm I hope. Well most of the time anyway.

Not sure how adding sour would do, prolly just mess things up.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm wondering if adding FA's Bitter Wizard might help; maybe make it taste more like dark chocolate? Or, some plain cream flavoring like CAP's sweet cream -- it's not sweet, it tastes like fresh cream; I use it in my strawberry & cream to give it more creaminess without more sweetness, since the shisha strawberry, bavarian, and vanilla swirl are already pretty sweet.

Andria

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
You could try 1% FW blood orange. Would cut the sweetness while staying in the background. Good to see you out Lannie.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hmmm... well, I don't have either Bitter Wizard or Blood Orange, however, I do have Sweet Cream and Fresh Cream and a lot of others. I mixed this at 50/50, but maybe I'll try going higher on the PG and see if that helps. However, I think HIC might be right. This is SO sweet, I'm not sure anything will de-sweet it! LOL! I used to like it a lot when I first started vaping, and it was all MTL, but since I started using my Nanos, everything is "more." I think I'll mix up a small batch at 5% or 7% or thereabouts, and increase the PG to 60% or 65% and see how that is. And I could add a few percent of cream, as well. The more I think about it, the more I think the cream might be able to take the sharp edge of sweetness off. Like washing down a sickly sweet brownie with a gulp of milk. That might work. Thanks! :D

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you could also try a touch of a drier choc to boost that brownie.. a touch of FA cocoa or HS Australian Choc might help, in cohort with the less CAP Brownie and the addition of a creme type flavor. Would need to experiment a bit but might be of some help if you find the lower % of cap lacking a bit re the flavor.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do have FA Cocoa! Good idea! I'm not mixing anything until this blast of arcticness passes, though. Right now I'm spending most of my time in front of the fire. I'll give the revised brownie juice a go later this week. :)

Yeah 8 here now in KY. I can't imagine how cold there...

Keep warm and safe as best you can.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's up to -16 now from our low of -23 this morning. That's not wind chill, that's the actual temps. The wind chills are in the -35 to -40 range at the moment. Only one more day and night of this, then we should get back above zero. It's gonna seem like t-shirt weather!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's up to -16 now from our low of -23 this morning. That's not wind chill, that's the actual temps. The wind chills are in the -35 to -40 range at the moment. Only one more day and night of this, then we should get back above zero. It's gonna seem like t-shirt weather!
Hang in there Lannie.
Sending warm thoughts your way.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do have FA Cocoa! Good idea! I'm not mixing anything until this blast of arcticness passes, though. Right now I'm spending most of my time in front of the fire. I'll give the revised brownie juice a go later this week. :)

Awesome! yeah I'd try first just with the lowered %'s and maybe a cream type flavor as mentioned.. then if it's not hitting the spot, maybe just start with .25% FA cocoa and increment by that amount. And the COLD .. yeah not a fan.. we are running just a tad over zero here as well... not a fan ! :p

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A big warm :hug: to all y'all suffering with frigid temps... it's in the 30s here which feels pretty damn cold, but a veritable heat wave, comparatively.

Andria

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Awesome! yeah I'd try first just with the lowered %'s and maybe a cream type flavor as mentioned.. then if it's not hitting the spot, maybe just start with .25% FA cocoa and increment by that amount. And the COLD .. yeah not a fan.. we are running just a tad over zero here as well... not a fan ! :p

If I'm just mixing a little 15ml batch, I might have to use more than a quarter percent. I think a single drop would be more than that! LOL! Maybe I'd better make a bigger bottle. ;) I think it would work, though, so I'll be trying it out. :)

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Just think hold cold it would be without Global Warming :gaah:

Ron

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I finally got around to playing with this brownie mix yesterday, and I have to say it's better, but I've lost the "fudge" in my fudge brownie. :( I went with 7% of the Cap Fudge Brownie, 3% Cap Vanilla Whipped Cream (because I like it, and a little vanilla always helps chocolate, right?), and .25% (I did it!) of FA Cocoa. (For a 15ml bottle it's almost .04ml, but my 1ml syringe allowed me to do that.) It's still chocolate, and not as sweet, but like I said, it's lost that moist fudginess that I liked.

I think I might try a brownie from scratch, using some type of cake flavor, with maybe some double chocolate, a bit of cocoa, some cake batter, and either that vanilla whipped cream or some other cream. But maybe I'll leave the cream out for the first try and see if it even needs it.

The stuff I made yesterday is OK, though, and I can vape it for more than 5 minutes without gagging over the sweetness, so for now it will do. :) Maybe it just needs a little more cocoa, and a touch of cake batter to bring back the moistness. Or marshmallow.

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

VU Sponsors