Become a Patron!

Anyone mix as you go and hope for the best ?

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a hell of a time keeping track of percentages and writing things down so i have been pretty much adding flavors to mixes on the fly until it taste like something i can enjoy , i really couldn't tell you what percentages etc.. are in it but it's been working for me .

I stick to flavors that i know i like and keep it pretty simple , i taste test after mixing a few drops at a time and most of the time i am very pleased with the end result .

Anyone else as clueless as myself and prefers to just wing it ?

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I never mess with nicotine this way , i know exactly the percentage of the base but with flavors i usually just wing it . Even when i think my mix is perfect at the time , after vaping it for awhile i will end up adding a drop of flavor to make it more pronounced if i think it's a little weak.

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep the only thing I measure out is the nicotine and everything else is dump shake smell taste and do it again until my 125ml bottle is full. lol 7 - 125 ml bottles sitting here of some weird stuff I will never be able to duplicate, might not be a bad thing with a couple of them. I have a creamy banana Im driping that started out strawberry banana and I just kept dumping other flavors in ie sweat cream, french vanilla, custard, blue ras cotton candy. Mix is know is around 70% is flavoring lol. it drips nice @ .5ohm

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I wing it all the time

Viral Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Mix is know is around 70% is flavoring lol. it drips nice @ .5ohm

Woah.. I never break 20 and add more pg to carry it to VG.

As far as keeping track of percents: Make 100ml batches. Buy a gallon of VG/PG, won't cost more then 80$.. if you use nicotine, buy 100MG/ML it makes things very simple.

if you want to make a "6mg" => 6ml(100mg/ml nic) to 100ml batch aka 6% of the mixture. A ton of companies do this wrong, some times I hit 6's and it's like my chest is on fire.

So, as far as flavoring goes, if you buy your stuff from TFA they are reliable in what they do.

Now a sample recipie I made about 7 months ago

"Pearadox" 60/40
9% Pear
4% Bavarian Cream
2% Sour
2% Marshmallow

in 100ml @ 6MG Nic

9ml Pear, 4ml Bavarian Cream, 2ml sour, 2ml marshmallow, 23ml PG, 54ML VG then add 6ML (100mg/ml) VG Based Nic

See how simple it becomes? I dont even bother with making less then 1000ml of something these days, I give out a ton of juice at shops...

Fad

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Started off winging it, but soon came to the realisation I needed a plan (or a recipe at least) so it was easy to reproduce as I knew I would forget something.

After testing ~30-40 different tobacco flavours I narrowed them down to 4 (now 5) which were acceptable, made many 1-5ml test combinations, testing each one as I went and finally ended up with a base flavour recipe.

Over 3 years and a couple of tweaks later (one added flavour and an overall % reduction) I know exactly how many drops of each is needed when I make up a half litre batch at a time...240 drops of 2 combined, 60 each of two others and 40 of the last - simple.

Still using the same mix today - very easy, no guesswork needed and no worry about ever getting it wrong - pain free mixing and no messing about, just the way I like it ;)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The ones I've tossed together at the last minute have been my faves of my own so far, but I do write it down as I go. If it's good, yay. If it's not, I draw an "X" through it. The ones I think out on paper first, not so much. Usually crappy.

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always write down what I'm doing as I'm doing it, otherwise , with my poor memory, I'd never know what I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Seems like crazy talk to me. Figure out how many drops per ml your dropper is and measure out the amount of base that makes 1 drop 1%. Then do your method counting the drops. Put the info into a juice calculator and save your recipes for later.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
wow....

i am either dumbfounded or amazed..

I sure hope there is some kind of pg and vg in all of the above and that there is a calculator involved, too..
after reading many sites.. everywhere! the most recommended percentage of flavoring is only 30.. at the very most!
and even that is way way too strong.. safe mix percentage is between 1% and 20%..

this is all someone needs to do is look at a 70% flavored juice.. the fda would have a field day..
mind blown for the day.. damn.. :oops:

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now, I did not say I mix everything at 70%.... And it certainly was not planned on. The fda does not give a shit if its .00001% or 100% flavor
Most of the mixes I make and enjoy are usually in the 22-28% added flavor range tho. The fda is not looking at mix ratios why ? to test any and every possible combination of every juice flavor at every mixing lvl and at every vape temp is just not going to happen.

However back on subject Yes I though it strange that what started out as "normal " mix of strawbanana ended up getting a lot of flavor added to it. The flavors that were added are a mild creamy flavors and yes V2 where applicable. It just took that much to get the flavor tones to what I was looking for. Will I make it again like this? Hell no cost way to much I mix everything in 125ml bottles thats $20 of flavor alone. I diy for cost savings.

I decided to take a closer look at my 4oz flavor bottles and do a assessment of how much was added to this bottle. At a guess it would appear 78ml of flavor was added to a 125ml bottle So saying 70% was off on my part it was approx 62.4% however this is also "mix as you go" thread and this is just what it ended up being.

It does Drip nice nice flavor Ive been dripping this for 5 days straight and no side effects noticed. Produces nice vapor nice smell nice flavor and when it comes down to it that's what counts.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Now, I did not say I mix everything at 70%.... And it certainly was not planned on. The fda does not give a shit if its .00001% or 100% flavor
Most of the mixes I make and enjoy are usually in the 22-28% added flavor range tho. The fda is not looking at mix ratios why ? to test any and every possible combination of every juice flavor at every mixing lvl and at every vape temp is just not going to happen.

However back on subject Yes I though it strange that what started out as "normal " mix of strawbanana ended up getting a lot of flavor added to it. The flavors that were added are a mild creamy flavors and yes V2 where applicable. It just took that much to get the flavor tones to what I was looking for. Will I make it again like this? Hell no cost way to much I mix everything in 125ml bottles thats $20 of flavor alone. I diy for cost savings.

I decided to take a closer look at my 4oz flavor bottles and do a assessment of how much was added to this bottle. At a guess it would appear 78ml of flavor was added to a 125ml bottle So saying 70% was off on my part it was approx 62.4% however this is also "mix as you go" thread and this is just what it ended up being.

It does Drip nice nice flavor Ive been dripping this for 5 days straight and no side effects noticed. Produces nice vapor nice smell nice flavor and when it comes down to it that's what counts.

and this.. is why I get scared to try other people's juice.. o_O

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I haven't laughed so hard in awhile , great comments folks . Luckily for me all my juices aren't worth keeping track of anyway and since i am the only one who will ever vape them i'm not worried about others coming into contact with them .

Can my mixes cause a fatality , i'm sure they could but i welcome death . I have no problems admitting that i am an atrocious DIYer , i mean thats a given .

Thanks for the responses everybody.

Last edited:

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Lol, those high percents are usually needed to get any flavor past the 10% sweetener and 10% EM used...

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL on the 70% flavoring - do whatever works for you, as long as it's only for you!

I had a funny experience once. I had a base mix for a clone recipe, but I inadvertendly mislabeled it as the finished juice. I popped it into my fogger, and thought it was a bit strong. It was ONLY 100% base - no nicotine, no vc.... took me forever to get the smell and taste out of the fogger!

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I could see concern for nicotine percentages and not keeping track but with flavorings , whats the big deal . Make it as strong or as weak as you prefer , no biggie imo .

Other people may consider it unvapable or almost vapable but as long as you consider it good and don't have any inclination to offer it to the public why the hell not.

Well thats my view on it anyway , to not have other people hassling you to sample it constantly is a bonus in my book.

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I could see concern for nicotine percentages and not keeping track but with flavorings , whats the big deal . Make it as strong or as weak as you prefer , no biggie imo .

Other people may consider it unvapable or almost vapable but as long as you consider it good and don't have any inclination to offer it to the public why the hell not.

Well thats my view on it anyway , to not have other people hassling you to sample it constantly is a bonus in my book.
Because the flavorings are the biggest unknown as far as long term vaping effects on the body. Nicotine, VG and PG all have been studied to a larger degree than food flavorings for inhalation. Dr. F and others suggest using the smallest amount of flavoring possible to reduce risks.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Because the flavorings are the biggest unknown as far as long term vaping effects on the body. Nicotine, VG and PG all have been studied to a larger degree than food flavorings for inhalation. Dr. F and others suggest using the smallest amount of flavoring possible to reduce risks.

I agree with you in principle of course. But as an exsmoker, for heavens sake I smoked crap for 40 years - clearly then I wasn't too concerned, even though it was a known risk. Now, the fact that I use low flavoring percentages now is simply because I like it that way. But let's say I needed 40% - I would still consider that better than smoking - for me, at least. Others may feel differently.

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I agree with you in principle of course. But as an exsmoker, for heavens sake I smoked crap for 40 years - clearly then I wasn't too concerned, even though it was a known risk. Now, the fact that I use low flavoring percentages now is simply because I like it that way. But let's say I needed 40% - I would still consider that better than smoking - for me, at least. Others may feel differently.
Sure, I'm certainly not trying to say its worse than cigarettes. I'm just saying that its the unknown element that those studying vaping have advised caution with. Probably even at 70% flavoring it is safer than cigarettes but it is also possible it is worse. When good results can be had at far lower percentages I'd say its obviously a bad choice to use so much flavoring. I'm certainly not one of those guys preaching zero flavoring. I seem to use more than most on this forum in the FA group but my highest percentage is 14% flavoring, usually around 7-9% and as low as 2% for a tobacco. I do understand many other flavoring companies are used in higher percentages.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use a simple code to write down the recipe on the label of the bottle itself. It's "Flavor1-flavor2-... flavor1%-flavor2%... / nic / PG / VG". So for instance:

CAApple-Menthol 2.5%-0.5%/ 6 / 30 / 60

means:

2.5% Apple from Club Aroma
0.5% Menthol
6 mg/ml nic
30% PG
60% VG
7% Water / saline

(For the water / saline, it's the remainder of the percentage not written in the code, with up to 10 drop of saline per 10 ml of juice, and the rest being water)

With this system, I never have to remember recipes or write them down: it's written on the bottle. Also, I can supply juices to people, and when they want more, they give me back the bottle and I know exactly what they want. And if I "correct" a juice later, I recalculate the percentages and correct the code on the label at the same time (or write a new label).

VU Sponsors