Become a Patron!

anyone smoke kretek cigs many years ago?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
~30 years ago I smoked occasional kretek clove cigarettes when I could beg/borrow/save the cash to buy some. I'm trying to ID them or get some tips on the right tobacco flavoring for making a vape equivalent.

These would have been the most popular, most easily-found brand in a typical U.S. tobacco shops. They had no filter. The cigs were white or maybe tan. I can't remember if they came in a box-like or paper package, but it held something less than 20. It was just tobacco and sweet clove, no cherry or vanilla or other flavors. They were very sweet on the lips. It wasn't Djarum, but I think the name was a single word. Anyone have any idea?

If I can ID them I can research what tobaccos they used, because that's my real question. Did typical kretek (if there is such a thing as 'typical') use Oriental, Virginia, Burley, Turkish.... ?

I'm using Hangsen's TAB, but I've also tried various other single-tobacco flavors. None seem tobacco-y enough. Maybe I'm mis-remembering. Some who knows kretek, help?

Vaperstek

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
HIC Jimi d I heard has a great kretek recipe...

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
One of the things most recipes have lacked with the Djarms other clove cig clone is maple.. I know sounds weird as hell but they used maple in the flavoring to cut the harsh clove bite.
I
remember the Kreteks they were off color cream papers no filter harsh as hell. 15 to a paper sleeve.
The tobacco only version was a turkish blend that tasted like used gym socks that had stored in a locker after 6 months of wear.
But the cloves were damned good but uber strong, they made Djarm looks like pixie sticks.

Some of other tobaccos I used I miss dearly... Drum the original, and a russian rolling tobacco called Pravda, Nat Sherman ovals the pre black Djarm and once the fda squashed them the Djarm blacks.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor

@Smoky Blue , those are the ones that sparked my interest. Have you (or anyone here) tried that Gudang Garam? My Tobacco Express experiences convinced me to look for recommendations before buying; some have really curled my toenails :eek::confused:I tried this 'kretek' from them: http://www.ecigexpress.com/l-and-b-flavor-by-tobacco-express-10ml.html . It's is a great match for a disposable I know, but not kretek to me.

@BigNasy those cream papered, harsh unfiltered you're describing sound right! Was 'Kretek' a brand name? Got a recommendation on a Turkish you think is right for those?

My goal is to make my own recipe with ingredients I'm comfortable vaping... But if I find a great-tasting mystery liquid version (like Tobacco Express), I can use it for comparison to build my own recipe.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
yeps i have all of those ;) i have mixed a few.. and like to add a drop from fa bottle of black cherry to finish it..
try turkish tobacco (ina) with them.. maybe some perique fa ?
keep your percentages low like you always do and you should be fine..

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Kretek is a name used to describe the sound that burning cloves make.......iiiiicky!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@Smoky Blue , those are the ones that sparked my interest. Have you (or anyone here) tried that Gudang Garam? My Tobacco Express experiences convinced me to look for recommendations before buying; some have really curled my toenails :eek::confused:I tried this 'kretek' from them: http://www.ecigexpress.com/l-and-b-flavor-by-tobacco-express-10ml.html . It's is a great match for a disposable I know, but not kretek to me.

@BigNasy those cream papered, harsh unfiltered you're describing sound right! Was 'Kretek' a brand name? Got a recommendation on a Turkish you think is right for those?

My goal is to make my own recipe with ingredients I'm comfortable vaping... But if I find a great-tasting mystery liquid version (like Tobacco Express), I can use it for comparison to build my own recipe.
Ugh no I remember the turkish was gag inspiring, someone let me have one.. it was a bet kind of thing of if you can smoke this you can get 5 bucks sort of bet... no one was able to do it.
I went running back to trying to smoke a Gauloises just to get the gym sock aftertaste out of my mouth. None of this filtered stuff these were the unfiltered ones, and to those that have smoked them in the pre filter pre fsc days KNOW they were a no joke cig.

I am wracking my brains trying to figure out if I remember the flavors from over 20 years ago.. the last time I had either was after boot camp, sitting in Corps school in minus 20 degree weather on the smoking deck.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
ahhh crap.. BN busted me :p

actually it's all in the percentage.. used heavy, turkish is nasty as %^(*^ :D

anyways..

http://www.kretek-cigarettes.com/djarum-clove-cigarettes/djarum-super-16.html

even Marlboro got into the deal

http://clovecigarette.org/marlboro-cigarettes/40-marlboro-kretek-12-mix-9-clove-cigarette.html

and if you want..

http://tobonline.com/news/kretek-rolls-out-premium-e-cigarette

if interested in above:

http://tobonline.com/news/kretek-rolls-out-premium-e-cigarette

and...

check the reviews ;)

http://www.ecblendflavors.com/kretek-blend-eliquid-Flavor/

i have a bunch of recipes.. will have to go thru them..

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Hangsen makes a DJrum flavor that is pretty good. The clove is more prominent than the tobacco.
It has been awhile since I tried the flavor express flavors. I do remember enjoying the sam soe the best. If I remember correctly all these flavorings have a touch of sweetness. Faint but still present.

I just do not like hangsen.. i tried to like the company.. but it's the same issue i have with ina..
an aftertaste i just can't stand.. I know they are highly rated for tobaccos.. still..
i get the shudders, even now..

i'd rather try a mix of some of my herbals with the clove and see if that wont help any..

(and yes, i know i recommended the turkish ina.. but that is the closest, without using absolutes and other fillers) Bulgarian absolute is nice..

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Bulk E-Juice has a grea clove tobacco flavor.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Thank you guys/gals for all this information! It's good to have lots to choose from. I might give that Hangsen a shot first; mostly clove is what I'm looking for. I loaded some of the other suggestions into carts, and obviously have some reading to do (and a coin to flip) before I choose others.

I shoulda asked before I got the crappy ones I already have, lol!

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
HIC I too am in search. I don't recall what I smoked in 80's but paper was brown w filter. It was very spicy and had a numbing effect on my lips. I would think to add anise w cloves, mAybe some black licorice. Also had a wonderful smell. I am also looking for something safe to vape and I want it warm and to pop. Numbing if safe. I have tried a company out of Michigan that makes a fire line e liquid by the name of Joost Vapor. Their fireball, hot pumpkin pie, and Carmel fire are very warm and good. Juice freshly made at pg 68/ vg 32. I want that warm spice hot effect their juice has w the clove. Let me know how it goes please as I am just now attempting DIY. Thanks
Thank you guys/gals for all this information! It's good to have lots to choose from. I might give that Hangsen a shot first; mostly clove is what I'm looking for. I loaded some of the other suggestions into carts, and obviously have some reading to do (and a coin to flip) before I choose others.

I shoulda asked before I got the crappy ones I already have, lol!
i

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
~30 years ago I smoked occasional kretek clove cigarettes when I could beg/borrow/save the cash to buy some. I'm trying to ID them or get some tips on the right tobacco flavoring for making a vape equivalent.

These would have been the most popular, most easily-found brand in a typical U.S. tobacco shops. They had no filter. The cigs were white or maybe tan. I can't remember if they came in a box-like or paper package, but it held something less than 20. It was just tobacco and sweet clove, no cherry or vanilla or other flavors. They were very sweet on the lips. It wasn't Djarum, but I think the name was a single word. Anyone have any idea?

If I can ID them I can research what tobaccos they used, because that's my real question. Did typical kretek (if there is such a thing as 'typical') use Oriental, Virginia, Burley, Turkish.... ?

I'm using Hangsen's TAB, but I've also tried various other single-tobacco flavors. None seem tobacco-y enough. Maybe I'm mis-remembering. Some who knows kretek, help?

I shoulda asked before I got the crappy ones I already have, lol![/QUOTE

Botboy141

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Stumbled across this site a few minutes ago and thought this flavor concentrate might interest you for this.

http://www.vaporshots.com/10ml-Clove-Tobacco-Flavoring-p/cfvsclov010.htm

I know absolutely nothing about these guys other than it appears they have a decent selection of flavors, order their pure nicotine from India and break it down themselves.

I can't place their flavor concentrates as being re-bottled from any one vendor that I know.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I appreciate all the leads, everyone. I've totally lost my craving for kretek (probably due to my disastrous mixing attempts, lol), but I know it will eventually return. I'm tempted to check local tobacco shops to see if I can buy just one - to refresh my flavor memory.

acidrain23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Resurrecting this thread from the vape bins of history....
Anybody working on a kretek or djarum or other clove tobacco recipe at the moment? The several flavors i tried from ECX definitely fell flat (love some of their other offerings though). I found I was also unable to get the clove dialed in for my liking. I used FW clove which can get bit bitter, maybe i just need to back off of that one. I also have a diy NET that just finished up- I extracted some Lane BCA (smells amazing! lots of natural vanilla flavor from the tobacco) that might mix well with clove. I'm also wondering if I should give FA's clove a shot. Cheers!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I tried about 6 different kretek-ish flavorings, and all but 1 were instantly put far, far away.
I'm happy with Hangsen DJ Rum. That was the basic flavor and sweet effect I was looking for.

acidrain23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hey, speaking of- are there any domestic suppliers of Hangen flavorings other than e-cig express? They are out of stock and I'm not seeing it available anywhere else... hrm... any ideas?

DIYjim

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
TFA makes Clove flavor which is eugenol in PG. Eugenol is the "active ingredient" in cloves so this works when added @3% or so to any tobacco recipe.

I am from Indonesia and I used to smoke kretek all the time..
But now after vaping I can't handle much of the clove on my tounge.. Its numbing my tounge..
But the best kretek in Indonesia is" Dji Sam Soe"

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am from Indonesia and I used to smoke kretek all the time..
But now after vaping I can't handle much of the clove on my tounge.. Its numbing my tounge..
But the best kretek in Indonesia is" Dji Sam Soe"

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk
Hi, Welcome to VU:wave:

VU Sponsors