Become a Patron!

Anyone still using Rayon?

swampcrawler

Member For 1 Year
Picked up a box of the stuff today. I was having issues with my Hive RTA going dry at the end of a long high wattage drag and saw that Rayon is supposedly able to wick faster and better and therefore help with that.

So far, yup. It does. Can’t pull long enough to dry it out. But about the first 5 mil of juice through it tastes like my socks. After that it’s fine! Just looking for anyone else’s experiences here!

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Rayon is pretty awesome. Taste a little bit like boiled leather and butthole at first but fortunately it passes quick.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've never gotten that funky taste with rayon that some people describe. For me, it starts and ends well. Lots of rayon folks here.
I am fairly new to Ryon, I never experienced the funky taste people describe with it. I just bought a package of Native Wicks Platinum Blend right before I was sent the Ryon to try. I am switching it up between the two at the moment. Once the Native Wicks is gone it will be straight Ryon for me.

swampcrawler

Member For 1 Year
I am fairly new to Ryon, I never experienced the funky taste people describe with it. I just bought a package of Native Wicks Platinum Blend right before I was sent the Ryon to try. I am switching it up between the two at the moment. Once the Native Wicks is gone it will be straight Ryon for me.

I wish that was the case for me. It tastes sorta like sawdust to me for the first bit. I guess people’s tasters are just different.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've tried Native Wicks. While I'm not really a fan of cotton, that one wasn't bad. I still do prefer rayon.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I mostly use cotton in RTA's because it just works better for me and rayon in RDA's since I am likely to change flavors more frequently with them,

swampcrawler

Member For 1 Year
I know the taste,, I just tells me I didn't get the coil wet enough during set up. I tend to test fire a few times before vaping to avoid the off taste

I was beginning to think that may be what’s up. The taste had gone away in the RTA and I broke it down and thinned the tails of the wick a bit (never removing or changing the Rayon. Just thinning the tails) and when I put it back together and hit it the taste was back. So she’s gonna sit over there and marinate for a bit before I take another hit.

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was beginning to think that may be what’s up. The taste had gone away in the RTA and I broke it down and thinned the tails of the wick a bit (never removing or changing the Rayon. Just thinning the tails) and when I put it back together and hit it the taste was back. So she’s gonna sit over there and marinate for a bit before I take another hit.
I have a skinny little sewing needle I stick through the coil sometimes to create a juice channel

mcmillonronald

Member For 4 Years
Picked up a box of the stuff today. I was having issues with my Hive RTA going dry at the end of a long high wattage drag and saw that Rayon is supposedly able to wick faster and better and therefore help with that.

So far, yup. It does. Can’t pull long enough to dry it out. But about the first 5 mil of juice through it tastes like my socks. After that it’s fine! Just looking for anyone else’s experiences here!
I boiled mine in some distilled water and I don't get the bad taste I bought the Sally's brand and just tied the ends with twist ties

Sent from my SM-S737TL using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It just throws the flavor notes almost completely off balance even after thoroughly breaking it in so I don't use it. That plus the fact I never get dry hits (even, when I'm using the Reload RTA instead of an RDA...), nor need to break in my cotton wicks for much longer than just a couple of minutes, using Cotton Bacon Prime... and that is despite I vape at higher than 120 watts.

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I went from Japanese to rayon and now will only use Cotton Bacon v2. Tried the CB Bits but gave that away to go back to V2.

I'd just be very careful about buying from Sally's or any other beauty supply place. I saw rayon a few times too many with workers taking it out of boxes that had chemicals in it. Their warehouse ships in the trucks what the store needs in inventory from what I've seen and yes it gets put into boxes with chemicals at times. That's enough to scare me away. :sad:

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I went from Japanese to rayon and now will only use Cotton Bacon v2. Tried the CB Bits but gave that away to go back to V2.

I'd just be very careful about buying from Sally's or any other beauty supply place. I saw rayon a few times too many with workers taking it out of boxes that had chemicals in it. Their warehouse ships in the trucks what the store needs in inventory from what I've seen and yes it gets put into boxes with chemicals at times. That's enough to scare me away. :sad:
Sally's rayon comes in a plastic bag inside the box. that box may arrive inside another box holding chemicals or a bunch of rollers. your glued up cotton bacon likely shared rides with chemicals or doll heads before it made it to the vape depot to be sent to your provider

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sally's rayon comes in a plastic bag inside the box. that box may arrive inside another box holding chemicals or a bunch of rollers. your glued up cotton bacon likely shared rides with chemicals or doll heads before it made it to the vape depot to be sent to your provider

Thank you for your insight. I just don't want to possibly get into the rayon as I've seen it. I'm sure my cotton sees more than what I would want to see but hair chemicals have been known to cause serious health conditions.
But then again, I'm a former smoker that rides a bike. I don't run that scared. ...;)

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My bag of Rayon will probably out live me. Almost 5 yrs old with maybe 75 ft missing.

View attachment 129941
ditto that! For awhile I was putting a bunch in those food saver bags to give away. I keep 1bag that has 75-100feet as a "bug out " stash.. Why? When Hurricane Ike hit us and took/destroyed 95%of our stuff,,we had to haul everything to the curb... 1item really sticks out,,, it was one of those mega packages of toilet paper,,, it was heavy full of water +dirt.. I decided never again evvvvver! Now I don't buy more than 8 rolls haha

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I may try boiling a little bit as well. Maybe do it in 2-3 ft pieces for a few minutes each and see what happens.

swampcrawler

Member For 1 Year
My bag of Rayon will probably out live me. Almost 5 yrs old with maybe 75 ft missing.

View attachment 129941

So. Boiling got that terrible break in taste to go away. But now I’m having a new issue. First few hits taste like they should. But after a few ML flavor goes... flat. Like it loses mouthfeel and creaminess. Kind of like a soda going flat or when too much ice has melted into your drink. Anyone have any idea what I’m talking about?

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So. Boiling got that terrible break in taste to go away. But now I’m having a new issue. First few hits taste like they should. But after a few ML flavor goes... flat. Like it loses mouthfeel and creaminess. Kind of like a soda going flat or when too much ice has melted into your drink. Anyone have any idea what I’m talking about?
I changed up a RDA on a mod today. So I took the chance and try and go over everything said last night. I still never had any kind of taste, bad that is.
It does take a few pulls before max flavor is achieved I think. Not sure any loss of flavor as you are describing has happened yet. Wish I could be more help.
thinking-face_1f914.png

mcmillonronald

Member For 4 Years
Ok so boiling almost totally eliminated the off flavor. Currently working on how to boil it and still have a “rope” rather than a mat when it’s done lol
I cut it into about 7" to 8" inch pieces and boil it in the smallest saucepan that I have and I only let it boil for about two minutes I tie the length of the twist tie to a clothespin clip it to a hanger over my shower head till it stops dripping I guess gravity helps keep the shape similar to the original

Sent from my SM-S737TL using Tapatalk

Bigbob2322

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Iv'e never boiled any of my Rayon in the almost 5 yrs of use, just make sure it's very tight in the coil and the tails are thinned out a little and you should be good to go.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

I don't know about all chemical stuff, but to me, Rayon tastes horrible and it's not worth the hassle of boiling/drying to find out if that improves it, that's for sure

If some like Rayon, great, but I'll stick with my CB also

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know about all chemical stuff, but to me, Rayon tastes horrible and it's not worth the hassle of boiling/drying to find out if that improves it, that's for sure

If some like Rayon, great, but I'll stick with my CB also

I agree. I had tried it and was turned off with the taste myself. Initial and first reaction. Lol. CB has never let me down in taste. :)

My observation was just my observation since I actually buy it for other usage, not vaping. I had worries about buying it for another project. We ended up needing more and bought from another supplier. :)

Now from a medical standpoint on rayon: This again is more of my opinion or statement. I have a pretty good reason why I have issues with the fiber myself. After my self-employed Mom passed away, which was a former NP, I study the cancer she had. One article from a page I run is listed below. But it's a good start of why I watch certain products. Her cancer can be directly linked to inhalation exposure to "textiles" in her once successful business.

For me it's just the way I roll. Nothing is safe, really. But if I'm aware of things and trying to improve my personal health, I stay away from things. This is one. :)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/biochemistry-genetics-and-molecular-biology/rayon

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

The v2, or 2.0 is what I used to always use, but the Prime tastes noticeably cleaner during the break-in period, after which this difference becomes negligible (or almost). The Prime also wicks faster so, unless you wick it too tightly of course, it seriously helps to avoid those annoying semi-dry hits. (Hits that are semi-dry, i.e. that only mute the flavor as opposed to giving the typical burned taste of a normal dry hit). If you notice the Prime gets burned in half by the inside of the coil(s) or if it starts turning itself to mush rather suddenly as opposed to really very slowly, then it's a sign that the cotton was not pulled in tight enough. Aside from that there's no real downsides to the Prime, as the faster wicking benefit also gives slower gunking of the coils so the Prime is not more expensive than the 2.0 in the long run. To the contrary in fact, it lasts a tad longer so it saves you work, and, less dry burning due to less gunking also helps to save the coils.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes, I do have an idea what you're talking about. You're talking about rayon... :D

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The v2, or 2.0 is what I used to always use, but the Prime tastes noticeably cleaner during the break-in period, after which this difference becomes negligible (or almost). The Prime also wicks faster so, unless you wick it too tightly of course, it seriously helps to avoid those annoying semi-dry hits. (Hits that are semi-dry, i.e. that only mute the flavor as opposed to giving the typical burned taste of a normal dry hit). If you notice the Prime gets burned in half by the inside of the coil(s) or if it starts turning itself to mush rather suddenly as opposed to really very slowly, then it's a sign that the cotton was not pulled in tight enough. Aside from that there's no real downsides to the Prime, as the faster wicking benefit also gives slower gunking of the coils so the Prime is not more expensive than the 2.0 in the long run. To the contrary in fact, it lasts a tad longer so it saves you work, and, less dry burning due to less gunking also helps to save the coils.

Hmm, very interesting read there. I had not given Prime a true run here with me. I guess I was in the midst of being used to the V2 and never really giving it the chance. I tend to keep plenty of cotton here but order the mess out of it when I see a decent sale, so I'll order up some more and tinker with it. I never knew about the center getting that way. I knew about the better wicking properties, but again, I didn't give it much chance.
Thank you and I'll get a few packs en lieu of my V2 and try it back out. :)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hmm, very interesting read there. I had not given Prime a true run here with me. I guess I was in the midst of being used to the V2 and never really giving it the chance. I tend to keep plenty of cotton here but order the mess out of it when I see a decent sale, so I'll order up some more and tinker with it. I never knew about the center getting that way. I knew about the better wicking properties, but again, I didn't give it much chance.
Thank you and I'll get a few packs en lieu of my V2 and try it back out. :)
The burning in half of the Cotton Bacon Prime normally only happens if you are a high wattage vaper, but the suddenly turning itself to mush fast is caused by juice flooding the cotton on the inside of the coil where it boils the cotton fibers till they start to fall apart and start to accelerate the whole process of rapidly falling apart. By comparison, the 2.0 is fairly immune to this, and, that's why some people prefer it over the Prime. But IMO these people are judging too soon because you can, after you align the cotton fibers evenly (and remove the pointy fluffs sticking out) just like you always do, carefully roll the piece of cotton into a sausage between the palms of your hands whilst applying mild pressure to compress the cotton fibers without actually squashing them. Next, if you gently keep rubbing it between your fingertips whilst applying mild pressure without actually pulling on it, carefully so you don't re-introduce pointy fluffs sticking out (at this stage you can still gently peel them off again if necessary) you will see that it slowly but surely grows both longer and thinner so basically you can keep rubbing the denser/thicker parts till the density/thickness feels uniformly distributed across the entire length, after which you can keep rubbing along the entire length if still necessary, till finally it will be just perfect enough to pull it through the coil and then cut it with scissors.

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The burning in half of the Cotton Bacon Prime normally only happens if you are a high wattage vaper, but the suddenly turning itself to mush fast is caused by juice flooding the cotton on the inside of the coil where it boils the cotton fibers till they start to fall apart and start to accelerate the whole process of rapidly falling apart. By comparison, the 2.0 is fairly immune to this, and, that's why some people prefer it over the Prime. But IMO these people are judging too soon because you can, after you align the cotton fibers evenly (and remove the pointy fluffs sticking out) just like you always do, carefully roll the piece of cotton into a sausage between the palms of your hands whilst applying mild pressure to compress the cotton fibers without actually squashing them. Next, if you gently keep rubbing it between your fingertips whilst applying mild pressure without actually pulling on it, carefully so you don't re-introduce pointy fluffs sticking out (at this stage you can still gently peel them off again if necessary) you will see that it slowly but surely grows both longer and thinner so basically you can keep rubbing the denser/thicker parts till the density/thickness feels uniformly distributed across the entire length, after which you can keep rubbing along the entire length if still necessary, till finally it will be just perfect enough to pull it through the coil and then cut it with scissors.

I'll have to try this. I'll order some more on my next time around. I did a screen shot on the way you explained. Lol. I get the crs sometimes. Ha! I've got enough cotton but about to make another small order, as usual here. Thank you! :)

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I recently gave rayon a try, and now I use it exclusively. I don't get any off flavor at all. In fact, my flavors seem to taste better on rayon than JOC. And rayon was the only thing that would wick good in my Themis Mesh RTA. Could not get cotton to wick fast enough for the mesh coil.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
rayon the first wood cellulose fiber wicking some maybe using to this day in premades and not be aware of it... looking at you Falcon king :D

VU Sponsors