Become a Patron!

Anyone using ECL 0.18 Coils?

jimskeet

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi guys
I am new to the forum and would like to as you about the coil of the title.
I recently got a melo 3 mini with a pico 75 and used it with the 0.3 coil for a while.
I really liked the coil but only had one issue. After a couple of days I would have a random dry hit. I used the 0.3 coil at 50w and it worked perfectly. Fast ramp time, good flavor and vapor.
I decided to try the ECL 0.18 coil which is SS and has bigger feed holes. It works good in TC mode. The only issue I have is that it needs a lot of watts to work and it has a slow ramp time. I use it with preheat at 75w for 1s and then at 65w and 260 Celcius.
Flavor and vapor is good. It just bugs me that I have to wait 0.5-1s ramp time before I get vapor.
My battery is vtc6 which I read is rated at 19A continuous draw. So at 75w when the battery is low, the amperage goes beyond the rating. Will I have any issue with the battery if I keep working it like this?

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't know why but factory SS coils seem to have a ramp up in TC mode but the ones I wrap myself don't. I also use those coils, I'm not a big fan but there the best factory wicking SS coils I've tried. I only use them on a single battery mod so it may be different on a higher power mod.

No your not hurting the batteries in TC. Once TC kicks in the power drops a lot because it's maintaining temp not heating a cold wire. The image below is a DNA with 80W preheat and 60 Watts set but as you can see the green (power) line is dropping and it's drawing less than 30 watts to maintain temp.
edit.jpg

Last edited:

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This is what my Pico is doing but I'm running Arctic Fox firmware which is much more efficient than the stock programing but you'll get the idea. SS 316L 0.24Ω on an RDA
Pico.jpg

jimskeet

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well compared to the 0.3 EC head I guess there is more wire mass in the 0.18 ECL. I can see also that the core is a bigger diameter in the ECL 0.18. So I guess it is normal to need more wattage and ramp up time to fire the bigger mass coil.
I have opened an EC 0.3 coil and it had 2 parallel 26g wires in 7.5 wraps at 4mm core (in steam engine when I enter those parameters it gives me a higher resistance than what it actually is). Maybe I could try rebuild the head with 26g SS316L wire and have the a behavior close to the original EC 0.3 head?

Also how does the preheat in pico work? Because after experimenting a little I feel like it doesn't work at all. Maybe it works only for TCR memories and not for preset TC SS mode? I tried to fire with preheat off and with preheat at 75w for 1s and I think it was exactly the same. Wattage in TC mode was 60 during those tests.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I wish I could help with that preheat thing but I can't as I run Arctic Fox firmware which is a totally different animal than the stock firmware. Hopefully some one will come along who can.

jimskeet

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also I don't think it has to do with the firmware itself cause I tried it in Wattage mode too and it has the same behavior. The same ramp up delay.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The firmware is what tells the mod how to operate but you missed the point.

I was saying that I cant help with the preheat question because AF works completely different than the stock firmware in how you set things up and how things work. Hopefully some one will come along who can help with the stock Pico setup and can answer your question.

AF is computer based with a lot more features similar to Evolve/DNA programing. It's a completely different mod than stock.

jimskeet

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I got that! I said about the firmware because you said in your first response that factory SS has big ramp time in TC mode. That is why I said I tried it in plain wattage mode with same results

jimskeet

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the link. The thing is I really like the stock ec 0.3 coils. I just wanted to try ecl 0.18 for TC mode usage to eliminate any possible dry hits. Though I think the way I have set it at the moment is working fine. I will see how it works for a couple of days before making any conclusions. Atm I have it set at Temperature SS mode with 75w preheat for 1s. Temp at 255-260c and 60w. Seems to work fine for now.

VU Sponsors