Become a Patron!

Apple Cider Vinegar as additive for E-Liquid?

WilliamC83

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ive heard from a few people that adding a few drops of Apple Cider Vinegar to certain DIY recipes can go a long way to enhance, brighten & round out certain flavor profiles. Ive always wanted to try this but I keep forgetting to buy the apple cider vinegar, lol.

Now this is kind of a apples to oranges comparison but just bare with me. Today I ate a pickle during lunch, it was the last thing I ate. Well naturally after eating I have a vape. Mind you however, I had been vaping this juice (DIY Strawberry Vanilla Custard) all day, but this vape shortly after eating the pickle was different, it was better, noticeably better. It tasted brighter, sweeter & uh...., well just BETTER! Its hard to describe but something in/from the pickle made my juice taste noticeably better, the flavor was just more alive, if that makes sense.
Is the acidity of the vinegar in the pickle the cause for this better flavor experience? If that's the case, then it would stand to reason that there is in fact something to this "Apple Cider Vinegar DIY Additive" thing after all. I mean some people swear by it & I have a feeling some Chefs, turned Mixologists, are keeping this little secret close to the vest.

I'm definitely going to pick up some ACV & give it a try. I'm going to make to two identical recipes, add the ACV to one, let steep & see if there is any noticeable difference. I'll report back with my findings.

sketchness

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Acv is mainly used in tobacco recipes to keep the flavor from fading from what I have read.

What you experienced is the vinegar resetting your olfactory senses after sort of being deadened by constantly vaping the same flavor

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I would much rather eat or drink something bright and acidic than vape it.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Today I ate a pickle during lunch, it was the last thing I ate. Well naturally after eating I have a vape. Mind you however, I had been vaping this juice (DIY Strawberry Vanilla Custard) all day, but this vape shortly after eating the pickle was different, it was better, noticeably better. It tasted brighter, sweeter & uh...., well just BETTER! Its hard to describe but something in/from the pickle made my juice taste noticeably better, the flavor was just more alive, if that makes sense.
Is the acidity of the vinegar in the pickle the cause for this better flavor experience? If that's the case, then it would stand to reason that there is in fact something to this "Apple Cider Vinegar DIY Additive" thing after all. I mean some people swear by it & I have a feeling some Chefs, turned Mixologists, are keeping this little secret close to the vest.

I'm definitely going to pick up some ACV & give it a try. I'm going to make to two identical recipes, add the ACV to one, let steep & see if there is any noticeable difference. I'll report back with my findings.

I have the same experience as you did with the pickle when I vape while drinking a beer with hot sauce and lemon juice. I figure it's like @sketchness says--something about the acidity knocks you out of olfactory fatigue the same way a whiff of coffee beans or pencil shavings can do. Apparently certain flavor molecules have more "punch" than others and are capable--if imbibed in short bursts--of kicking out and replacing the entrenched ones currently clogging your flavor receptors.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As far as what vinegar may do IN a juice.. I dunno if it's the same (or even a similar) principle. I kind of doubt it. I'll take a look at the link @SmokyBlue posted.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would much rather eat or drink something bright and acidic than vape it.
Oh, I really like a nice punchy vape sometimes. My first favorite along these lines was a key lime + bubblegum flavor. Even more interesting with koolada or mint. And that sort of flavor does also seem to combat "vaper's tongue" a bit.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh, I really like a nice punchy vape sometimes. My first favorite along these lines was a key lime + bubblegum flavor. Even more interesting with koolada or mint. And that sort of flavor does also seem to combat "vaper's tongue" a bit.
Been playing with super sour and koolada with some EM for something different.

VU Sponsors