Become a Patron!

Aqua rebuildable Tank

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I recently picked up an Aqua clone (Tobeco) from a trade to see what this thing was all about. Was somewhat aware that mounting coils could be a PITA, but once set right, general consensus seems to say this thing puts out a very nice vape.

Thumbscrew mounting is definitely not the best way to secure coils, let alone allow you to mount 2 of them evenly and tidy. I figure that it would be easier to build a dual coil off the same wire:

2i9qakz.jpg

Once mounted, you can pulse the coils to clean up the gaps and move them toward the right position.
Wicking is quite forgiving, I tried with lots of cotton and not much cotton, and both ways seem to saturate just fine, no burning or dry hits, even with the bell closed down all the way. My juice viscosity is mostly VG.

My Aqua also came with a plastic tank which is what I started to use it with, but after figuring out what my juice re-fill pattern was, I switched over to the metal sleeve. I actually prefer this over the plastic; the airflow adjustment is definitely more stable, smoother turning and just feels better. The Plastic tank is very thin, easy to flex and will probably need replacing as I would imagine the threads would strip away after a few tank changes if you are not really careful.

I really dig the airflow adjustment, based off various pictures and reviews, I perceived this as a real cheap novelty design, but once you use it, you will find that it really does work quite well. The draw can be adjusted on the fly, tighter like a Kayfun or looser like the Taifun. Vapor production is very dense, and flavor is very good.

2r281ow.jpg

Compared to the Kayfun? It’s really hard to say, I like them both but at different resistances. My preference for the Aqua is right around .7-.8ohms and the Kayfun, right around 1.1-1.3ohm.

I prefer the draw, airflow adjustment, refilling, wicking and vapor density of the Aqua over the Kayfun, but I prefer the coil mounting, aesthetics, aftermarket support, juice capacity, and size (22mm, the Aqua is 21mm) of the Kayfun.

mkde0h.jpg

(on the Tarsius Customs 4Nine which is a 22mm mod. Slight gap shown as marked)

Flavor on both is excellent, but again, this is based on what I perceive the peak performance setting for each one is. If I went with above 1ohm on both, I would probably edge the flavor toward the Kayfun, and under 1ohm I would edge the flavor toward the Aqua.

cthulhufan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Nice writeup! I really enjoy mine, it has been a solid tank and I agree 100% on the airflow adjustment.

Edit: Also, NICE COIL!

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh, forgot, heres a pic of the Aqua with the plastic tank:

iwrite.jpg

Thnx for the feedback cthulhufan!

Planning to grab a Origin mod clone so I can hybrid mount this thing flush. The dual coil system combined with the airflow kicks some very thick vapor without losing any flavor, so I'm starting to like this more and more now. Haven't used my Kayfun since getting the Aqua, but really wish it was a 22mm.

I think the only drawback with the Aqua is the coil mounting, but with a single wire as shown above, it makes it so much easier. Once you put the loop over the post, just pull the coil apart first to tighten, and then screw it down. With one side secured, the other post is a breeze to line up and tighten down.

BTW, I was using 28g Kanthal wrapped on a 1/16 bit, 12 wraps each. Resistance came out to .77 ohms which I think is the sweet spot for this atty.

cthulhufan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yep, I like that coil A LOT. Good thinking there. I have wrapped dual and single coils on that tank and I agree that the thumbscrews are a pain in the tail. Don't laugh, a single coil Aqua conserves juice and still hits great ;-)

I do have a question on that single wire, dual coil setup though; how does it heat up? Nice and even? I'm guessing so but I'm curious if it took you a few attempts to get it 'just so'. Anyway, VERY NICE.

Oh, and how do you fill yours? I read / watched the tutorials for bottom fill but to avoid leaks I always ended up top filling. I'm on a REO now with an RM2 so my Aqua and Kayfun stuff is in storage for backup but I'd still like a few tips :)

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would imagine so, I personally prefer single coil builds on everything else, but the aqua is the only rebuildable that I am running a dual coil on. Will try a single next time I replace the coil to see how it does.

Yes, my current build heats up perfectly even, no issues at all with that. I did try multiple builds prior with separate coils and was getting REALLY frustrated trying to keep everything nice and tidy. After messing around with that, I tried the single wire method. My first attempt was a dud since I looped the coil the wrong way toward the inside, then the second try, the coil was too far apart. The 3rd try was the charm, its the one I pictured above ;)

For filling, I just close off the bottom airflow hole first, then unscrew the top. I just fill from the top and then put the cap back on. From there, I open up the airflow while holding the tank upside down and then blow into the mouthpiece to push out any excess juice. Once its clear, I just screw the atty back on and I'm good to go.

Also, the reason why I prefer to use a 1/16 bit is because its the same diameter as the juice channels, so the cotton sits in there nice and loose. You can stuff lots of cotton and it will still wick fine, but I noticed the flavor doesn't have the same bite. However, at higher resistance, I would recommend using more cotton to avoid the occasional gurgle.

As I have it now, @.77 ohms w/ loose cotton and 1/16 diameter coil, zero gurgles, zero dry hits, vapes consistently and reliably the same from start to finish which is why this has become my favorite atty as of late ;)

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Excellent write up. I bought one last weekend and had some trouble getting two coils on and working together. Also my ohm readings kept jumping around. I'm back to my kayfun clone and will try your method this weekend.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the ohm readings will jump around because of the janky thumb screw design, just be sure to secure them tightly with pliers and you wont have a problem. Also, if you refer to the pic, you'll notice that prior to compressing the coils, they extends way beyond the deck. No big deal because after you get your coils nice and tight, you will simply bend them down toward the air-vent which will pull in the build from touching the bell ;)

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@cthulhufan: Was going to try run a single coil and just realized, do you just plug up the unused channel? Thnx!

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Amazing, awesome video Steamer. With the airflow modification, I assume that your Aqua is setup as a lung hit only RTA? Vapor production must be massive since as it is in stock form, its already one of the bigger vapor producing tanks.

steamer861

Member For 4 Years
Yes it is a lung hitter :) the air flow was a big improvement it works on par with a fogger V4 now :)

Amazing, awesome video Steamer. With the airflow modification, I assume that your Aqua is setup as a lung hit only RTA? Vapor production must be massive since as it is in stock form, its already one of the bigger vapor producing tanks.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anything more than the video above, I think it would just be easier to pick out a different RTA ;)
As for cosmetic mods, other than the plastic tank and drip tip, I think that's about it. What exactly are you looking to modify anyway?

Phone Guy

Member For 4 Years
I really don't know...LOL.
I recently got a wae2 and my aqua is the only 21mm device I have to match the wae2 21mm.

I'd like to make it more awesome :) that's all ;)

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was going to say just get the Origen mod, but if you have a Wizards Apprentice Evolved, its going to be hard to make it more awesome lol ;)

VU Sponsors