Become a Patron!

Arctic Fox....Why?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A little update on Arctic fox- still loving it, I have actually used my Evic VTC mini and RX 2/3 since installing it the other day, and that is very odd for me with so many mods to use one or two on their own.

Running a Crius on the Evic VTC mini with a 0.35 SS 316L 26G build. 30W with a 50W preheat at 250C. Nice and smooth, although you can feel the preheat when it turns off more than on something like a Evolv mod, but that is just nitpicking really.

Using a Uwell Rafale, which I don't use often on the RX 2/3. Very nice with some DIY solub arome Suicide bunny V1 (A very nice caramel based flavour).

Does anyone know the people/ person who designed Arctic fox? I would like to thank them personally if possible for their work.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is quite odd, but I am not going to complain :) .

I have put Arctic fox onto one of my Joyetech Cuboids now as well, I hadn't used the cuboid properly in a while due to issues with the battery door- I would get a low battery warning when they was fully charged. I usually have to fiddle with the door, to make the issue go away.

Like usual, I had the problem, but still thought I would put arctic fox on. It could be a coincidence, but after installing it I have not had the error message, and am happily vaping at 55W.

I just have the original RX200, another cuboid, and the Pico left now to install it on. I do like the Pico as it is though, and I do use it fairly often with a serpent mini as a small mod to take out. I will try AF though on it to see if I get better battery life. I am not expecting much as I realise it is mainly the boards efficiency that will matter, but still worth a try.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@conanthewarrior
It'll come back. I have the same problem with the TC200W I glued a strip of metal under the latch on the mod side to make it thicker. BUT
If you shove a tooth pick under the latch so it can't move down it will also work. The latch on the TC200W is a bit different but it should work the same.

I have AF on my Pico and love it.[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• MG_2211.jpg
    MG_2211.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 2211.jpg
    2211.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I do like the Pico as it is though, and I do use it fairly often with a serpent mini as a small mod to take out. I will try AF though on it to see if I get better battery life. I am not expecting much as I realise it is mainly the boards efficiency that will matter, but still worth a try.
I was trying to keep track and see if my battery life improved. Not something I can do easily at home because I keep changing through out the day. I will need to bring it to work and use just the Pico all day and see what happens. I want to say I got a little more life out of the battery but I cant be sure. I don't think it was anything very noticeable.

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The Pico seems to have a low cutoff voltage already with its stock firmware, not sure it will show any tangible benefits with AF...
Different story with other mods, my istick TC 100W for instance shows an improved, longer battery life with AF - due to a lower cutoff voltage, presumably

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Pico seems to have a low cutoff voltage already with its stock firmware, not sure it will show any tangible benefits with AF...
Different story with other mods, my istick TC 100W for instance shows an improved, longer battery life with AF - due to a lower cutoff voltage, presumably

I am on a mac, so need to load up windows to check Arctic fox- can we change the cutoff in arctic fox like with Escribe? If not, do we know what the cutoff is?

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sure. You can use one of the built-in battery profiles (generic, Sony vtc4/5, ...) or even create your own battery profile - if you know what you're doing, that is
In a custom battery profile you can configure an ad-hoc discharge curve, and of course the voltage cutoff.
PS: VirtualBox (and a WinXP VM) helped a lot in the past, with my Mac...

Last edited:

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
After a few days playing around with this on the Pico I love it. I have it in TC now and using it for the past day, it might just be me but it seems more consistent. If anyone is following and is debating to install it or not like I was I can tell you it is worth it. I should have the other two RDA I ordered last week today and cant wait to try it out with them. I plan to install on the RX 2/3 this week sometime even though that will end up on the shelf in a week or two.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@xpen well I will be setting up a fair few battery profiles today then :).

I actually am using Virtualbox myself too, as for some strange reason my mac won't let me install bootcamp, even if I force it into thinking it is a model without a disc drive so I can install using a disc image, it just takes a while to load if I shut down the virtual machine instead of saving state.

@Raymcconn , I am glad you are liking it. Why will the RX 2/3 end up back on the shelf in a week lol? I have a lot of mods, 49 at last count, and I do try to use them all in some sort of rotation, of course some get used more than others though.
The pico is a firm favourite though, and I am using it as my main single 18650 mod, as my SDNA75's 510 solder has come apart, so until I fix that I am using the Pico as my small pocket mod.

@skt239 , I promise it isn't too hard, you just need to download both links on the website, connect the mod, and then just install the file you downloaded with the program. It is literally just download, open the program, connect, and install- the profiles are already on there for the most common wire types so you don't have to use the software if you don't care too much for setting custom things.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yep not too hard. Download the zipped firmware editor and the bin file . Unzip the editor and put the bin file in the unzipped folder. Then it's just a matter of running the program, hit update plug in the mod click update from file and click the bin file.

EDIT: Of course it's easy to say it's easy after you've done it......:rolleyes:

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A manual would be nice but I wonder if the RELAX setting under pre-heat might make it a smoother transition?
Hmm I didn't notice this setting last time I used it, I will have to give it a try and see if it is smoother. It is a bit of a big jump from the preheat to your set power that you can really feel as it steps down.

I still think for the price of a joyetech mod though, this is very hard to beat.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@conanthewarrior , I say it will be on the shelf because I hope to have my IPV8 in a few weeks. I hope. I am sure it will get some use but my main mods will be the Pico and IPV8.

@skt239, I thought I wouldn't have the time to sit and be able to do this. As mentioned it is real easy. Download the two files, extract and go. Then learn as you vape.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
because it's a different firmware section and a different firmware loader. they call it like the night update version or something like that and those firmware aren't compatible with the latest non beta firmware loader

this is the link to those
https://github.com/maelstrom2001/ArcticFox/wiki/Changelog

link to nightly nf toolbox
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/TBXin/NFirmwareEditor/branch/master/artifacts

those are the ones you need for the primo and rx300

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just played with both. The new firmware won't load with the old editor it says "incompatible device" for the Eleaf TC200W but it will load with the updated firmware editor no problems and none of the profiles have changed.
The TC curve in device monitor looks about the same.
Looks like an Apple update eg: here's your new OS but nothing that came before it will run on it.;)
Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Just played with both. The new firmware won't load with the old editor it says "incompatible device" for the Eleaf TC200W but it will load with the updated firmware editor no problems and none of the profiles have changed.
Looks like an Apple update eg: here's your new OS but nothing that came before it will run on it.;)
the new nightly version is for new mods only. it's like a tester before they add them to the release and they only load with the nightly nf toolbox.
the older mods are for the "official" version and only work with the official nftoolbox

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
the older mods are for the "official" version and only work with the official nftoolbox
My Eleaf TC200W about a year old took the new firmware with the new editor no problem. But yea I'd stick with the official release if you have no problems. I just put the old firmware back on with the old editor. This is fun...love this shit.

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
My Eleaf TC200W about a year old took the new firmware with the new editor no problem. But yea I'd stick with the official release if you have no problems. Just put the old firmware back on with the old editor.
yes it'll work on them but your better with the stable version. the new version is for beta testing on new mods and could have issues

Budds

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Has anyone installed AF on the eVic VTwo ?
Not the mini.... but the 5000 mah internal battery Mod.
I saw it listed as compatible somewhere, but have yet to hear from anyone who has done it !

Inquiring minds wanna know.
:)

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for bring it to our attention.
I'm glad it worked out well for you with the new firmware editor, I didn't realise the newer devices needed a different version- I don't have any myself though so the standard version is fine for me.

I'm confused about the apple comment though lol- I have a mid 2010 macbook pro that is running the latest OS, I haven't had an Iphone in a few years though as I did not feel they was worth it after I lost one, and bought a Moto G running android.
It did everything my Iphone could, and was less than 1/5th of the price. I now have a Xiaomi Redmi note 3 kindly given to me by gearbest, really happy with that.

So I do feel the phones are overpriced, but for a 7 year old computer, I can still run Logic and record my music, so feel the Mac was worth its high price tag (Plus the software I needed was only available on mac).

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm confused about the apple comment though lol
Not the computer but the OS. Buddy of mine runs Pro Tools and Melodine along with a few others and every time he gets an OS upgrade he has to also get software upgrades because the old ones no longer run.
Don't really know about any thing else though and I may have spoken wrong but he sure bitches about it. He also has an older Mac and is a working/traveling musician.

That Arctic Fox upgrade isn't an upgrade but a Beta test platform not an official release. The one you got is the latest release. I just tried it for ha-ha's then rolled back to the stable release.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Has anyone installed AF on the eVic VTwo ?
Not the mini.... but the 5000 mah internal battery Mod.
I saw it listed as compatible somewhere, but have yet to hear from anyone who has done it !

Inquiring minds wanna know.
:)
Should work as it has on anything I've tried it on but you can always use the Joyetech updater and roll it back to the original firmware if it's not right. I haven't rolled anything back but I did plug in the Joyetech updater and it saw the correct mod so it should work to roll it back.

Hopefully someone will come along who has done it on your mod.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So I have a question and it might of always done this but why does my OHMs jump up when I hit the fire button. It is not the build I have put it on other mods and everything is fine. It vapes OK, for what it is. All I can figure it is measuring the actual resistance so when it heats up it jumps up a little. Did anyone else notice this, my guess is it always does it since I reloaded from scratch.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So I have a question and it might of always done this but why does my OHMs jump up when I hit the fire button. It is not the build I have put it on other mods and everything is fine. It vapes OK, for what it is. All I can figure it is measuring the actual resistance so when it heats up it jumps up a little. Did anyone else notice this, my guess is it always does it since I reloaded from scratch.
Mine does it also I think it's reading the live resistance because it always goes back to the set resistance when I stop firing. Much like the D2 if you have one.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No I don't have one and it drove me BATTY last night when I noticed it. I was up at 4:00am messing with it again this morning. When I finally remembered that resistance goes up as the wire heats up. I then came to same conclusion as you.:giggle:

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The only reason I didn't panic is that I have a D2 and when they first came out everyone was clamoring for a reason the resistance changed when firing. The D2 manual clearly sated (sort of) that it read the live resistance when firing. Because the set resistance always came back and the mod was working well I figured AF was doing the same thing.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well then I don't feel like too much of a idiot, I figured it out. Good thing I pay attention to peoples answers on these forums. I still cant remember where I heard that from. HA.
Now I will go home tonight and get a better build in.
Thanks again.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the new nightly version is for new mods only. it's like a tester before they add them to the release and they only load with the nightly nf toolbox.

The new firm ware just needs to be usec with the new loader. I still work for all the devices. But the loader and firmware need to be used together. You need the old loader for fw version prior to xxx201. It not about new mods vs old is about new FW vs old FW.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
The new firm ware just needs to be usec with the new loader. I still work for all the devices. But the loader and firmware need to be used together. You need the old loader for fw version prior to xxx201. It not about new mods vs old is about new FW vs old FW.
yes i specified that later, but added that your better off using the stable version for older mods instead of a beta version

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yes i specified that later, but added that your better off using the stable version for older mods instead of a beta version

I got that... But stable version is probably better for any mod it covers. Thats why is called the STABLE version. Age of mod shouldn't matter unless not covered by the FW regardless of version.. The BETA of any software carries more potential for BUGs and NEW issues.

I will note seems that when the MOD does glich the software reverts to the version you installed first or some skeleton thing... My Pico has wigged out 2x at battery change.. with real low battery.... Both cases it lost all USER changed data. Basically reverted to the FW as it was when I first installed AF. Device says its running 170201 but it works and looks like it running 161222 when I first installed. Reflash all is good... Just wierd.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only reason I didn't panic is that I have a D2 and when they first came out everyone was clamoring for a reason the resistance changed when firing. The D2 manual clearly sated (sort of) that it read the live resistance when firing. Because the set resistance always came back and the mod was working well I figured AF was doing the same thing.

I remember this myself- I do actually read the manuals of my mods, and I still was puzzled for a while why it was not locking resistance like it was supposed to in TC mode.

I then found out it was a live reading, it felt odd at first still even knowing that, and I was unsure if it had locked in or not for some time lol. It was only when I got other mods that did live reading I got used to it.

With the Mac, I don't use protools myself, I run Logic instead, but that could well be an issue with protools. I find Logics Flex pitch to also do what Melodyne does, and for the retail price I think it is an unbeatable DAW.
I just hope Apple continues to make it after the current Logic X. It is only available as a digital download now, and the price is reduced from £499 to £199- this is the cheapest of the major DAW's, and I also feel one of the best. It is high up there, near industry standard in a way (There is no industry standard, just a heavy leaning towards certain DAW's).

I just hope the reduction in price, plus not being available as a physical copy does not mean the end of the road. I am sure it won't though, as it is so popular amongst musicians, studios Etc.

I don't doubt your friend has issues, and they do sound like a pain for sure, I will still get another mac when the time comes though as it is what I am used too, and like them.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone know how to adjust battery profiles... I see that it can he done on AF issues page just can't find where to do it in editor.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can do it on the mod.
Settings>Expert>Batt
I know that... that only allows you to select your battery. but how in the editor do you set the profile up for the user setting.. also there is way to modify the battery profiles themselves. Where is tab to edit the battery profiles.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I know that... that only allows you to select your battery. but how in the editor do you set the profile up for the user setting.. also there is way to modify the battery profiles themselves. Where is tab to edit the battery profiles.

Advanced .. battery.. custom.. edit.

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
For the past two days I've been playing with my new predator; its 510 didn't fall off (yet) but for the first time in months I've been exposed to a device not using the ArcticFox firmware... guess what, I didn't like its stock firmware, not at all.
Can't stand the looks of the interface, no firmware 'features' worth a dime, even a sub-par battery life. What a difference... the stock firmware looks so primitive now...
Couldn't find an AF nightly build supporting it yet, either, so for the time being I'm putting the predator back in its box.
Guess I've been spoiled by the AF features...
Going to make another donation to the nfe team, hopefully they will be somehow more motivated to release a new version some time soon.
Back to my ArcticFox-enhanced Cuboid for now

Last edited:

VU Sponsors