Become a Patron!

Arctic Fox....Why?

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I also am spoiled by AF. I've been holding off on getting the Predator hoping they fix the 510 issue but now I have another reason to hold off. If a few Russian programmers can do such a good job with AF you have to wonder why the companies can't do better. Glad you posted this.

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
AF support for the predator/primo v2 (same chip/board) is already in the developers pipeline, problem is they've not released much - if anything at all - in the past two months
Even the nightly builds section (extremely difficult to find btw) seems on hold... let's cross fingers...

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This must be the new stable version as the main page now has Editor V7 with AF V2 and the 170508 bin instead of the V6 editor with AF V1.5 and 170201 that was there.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Put it on my Eleaf TC2200W and so far I like some of the new additions but I wish they would have left the battery curves. Anyone know were to get XML format battery curves for LG HE2 and 25R's

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I should mention that it will delete your profiles so save them before you update so you can load them back in after the update.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Put it on my Eleaf TC2200W and so far I like some of the new additions but I wish they would have left the battery curves. Anyone know were to get XML format battery curves for LG HE2 and 25R's
Those curves are pretty useless anyway. https://github.com/maelstrom2001/ArcticFox/issues/265
With the new layout the battery status is also shown in actual volts. It's on the bottom left of the screen, right next to the temperature of the mod so IMO it's far more helpful that way.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Those curves are pretty useless anyway. https://github.com/maelstrom2001/ArcticFox/issues/265
With the new layout the battery status is also shown in actual volts. It's on the bottom left of the screen, right next to the temperature of the mod so IMO it's far more helpful that way.
Thanks for posting this, saves me a lot of screwing around. I have it on a small screen mod for now so I don't get all the info shown on a big screen.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I find a custom user curve the least annoying. Or generic linear curve... it doesn't affect function and the battery specific curves only apply to new batteries under perfect conditions.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This is from the web site not sure how to interpret it yet. Here's the new read me file.
https://github.com/maelstrom2001/ArcticFox/blob/master/README.md

• Smart - automatic switching profiles settings:
    • Off/On/Lazy - Smart Mode behavior setting, Lazy means that profile can be switched automatically only on atomizer change while the box is in active state;
    • Range - resistance tolerance;

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Apparently not, the mod shows all the batteries close to 3.5V and the battery bar is about empty. Right were I like to recharge them.:)

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Can't wait to install this new release on my predator as well...

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Apparently not, the mod shows all the batteries close to 3.5V and the battery bar is about empty. Right were I like to recharge them.:)
The Cuboid went thru the first pair of batteries since the new firmware, and it cut the power off at around 3.4V
Need to tinker the battery profile to bring that down to 3.2V...

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can't wait to install this new release on my predator as well...

AF is a must on any device it supports. The fact that it runs on Wismec devices is the only reason why I keep those shite mods around.

If you already have 170201 installed, 170509 is well worth upgrading any big screen mod to. For small screen mods, it's not as desirable - but since it's so easy to do, why not upgrade those too eh? :)

kevinjp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the only issue i have with using escribe and arctic fox as a baseline is it isn't going to be accurate. it's reporting the info the chip is providing. it'll show you how smooth the firing is but that's about it.

with that said, there is a huge difference in using arctic fox over the factory software in temp control performance. huge difference. night and day. it takes a passible performance and makes it almost as good as the top tier guys. IIRC it improved the power mode too. I'm doing a re-review of the primo using arctic fox (so i'ts kinda like an arctic fox review basically) when i'm done i'll post up the power charts here
hmm my primo mini is on it's way. wondering if I should install tjis.

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think you should; if for some reason you don't like it, you can always get back to the stock firmware.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
with that said, there is a huge difference in using arctic fox over the factory software in temp control performance. huge difference. night and day. it takes a passible performance and makes it almost as good as the top tier guys.

As far as software-only features are concerned, AF is even superior to the Evolv firmware: almost all configuration options are available in complete menus in the mod itself. This is unparalelled. With the Evolv stuff, most of the features can only be configured with Escribe.

As for vaping performances, well... I know Evolv's hardware is reputed to be superior, but quite frankly I can't see any difference between a mod running AF and a mod featuring a DNA board.

I can tell the hardware is inferior in Wismec mods for example (they make a weird ticking noise at rest when the resistance is too low), but with a good non-DNA mod like, say, the VTC Mini, the performances as just as stellar and the mod seems just as dependable. Better, the battery gauge seems to work well out of the box, and isn't weird like it sometimes is on DNA boards.

So I'm forced to conclude that Evolv's hardware isn't *that* superior - if at all. If it is, then I wish Evolv would ditch their software and adopted AF - at least for their non-gimmicky, non-color-screen-equipped, non-uselessly-themable boards - or that they made it possible to replace their firmware with AF. I would love to run AF on my DNA boxes!

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you look at the graphs in the first post the DNA is more accurate. Is it really noticeable when vaping? Maybe, but I am neglecting my DNA mods and having fun with AF. Also buying a 40 dollar mod that works this well is better than paying 150 - 200 for a mod I don't want to kick around and would be pissed if something happened to it. Yea Evolve loses out on not having a full menu system on the mod. These guys did a really good job with AF and there doing it for the love of the game not profit and you gotta love that. It also frees them up to do what they want and that's also a very good thing.

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would love to try this but only on a mod that doesn't have 510 issues. Any suggestions on an AF compatible mod with a decent 510?

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I would love to try this but only on a mod that doesn't have 510 issues. Any suggestions on an AF compatible mod with a decent 510?

I'm NOT going to make any recommendations but my RX200S and my Evic mini were tight and I used a spacer but after a while I no longer need them. The RX will on occasion throw the atty short message but I pop a battery out and its fine. It seems to happen when the wick gets dry and I re-drip.

My Pico mod gives me no problems and the Eleaf TC200W will on occasion throw the atty short message but I unscrew the atty fire it and screw the atty back on. The problems don't happen often enough to stop me from buying another one.

These are only my experiences and others may differ so take it for what its worth. I may get another RX200S or Evic mini dual. I mostly vape TC mode.

The Predator is another story though that sucker just plain falls apart which is unfortunate as I'd love to get one..

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
As far as software-only features are concerned, AF is even superior to the Evolv firmware: almost all configuration options are available in complete menus in the mod itself. This is unparalelled. With the Evolv stuff, most of the features can only be configured with Escribe.

As for vaping performances, well... I know Evolv's hardware is reputed to be superior, but quite frankly I can't see any difference between a mod running AF and a mod featuring a DNA board.

I can tell the hardware is inferior in Wismec mods for example (they make a weird ticking noise at rest when the resistance is too low), but with a good non-DNA mod like, say, the VTC Mini, the performances as just as stellar and the mod seems just as dependable. Better, the battery gauge seems to work well out of the box, and isn't weird like it sometimes is on DNA boards.

So I'm forced to conclude that Evolv's hardware isn't *that* superior - if at all. If it is, then I wish Evolv would ditch their software and adopted AF - at least for their non-gimmicky, non-color-screen-equipped, non-uselessly-themable boards - or that they made it possible to replace their firmware with AF. I would love to run AF on my DNA boxes!
thats a good point too. thats really the only con on the DNA is lack of on mod adjustments. Also would be nice to see custom watt curves on them in the future since 40 dollar mods do it

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thought I'd post some VU Logos I made.( hope Joe doesn't mind) These are for the big screen mods. 64 x 48 you need the latest nightly build to upload them. But I'd use the stable build to do everything else on the mod as I've seen a few glitches in the nightly build.

Big neg.jpg Big.jpg

EDIT; I was playing around and you can upload logos with the firmware editor in any version.
Open the editor then tools - updater and there's a button for logo.

Last edited:

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
thats a good point too. thats really the only con on the DNA is lack of on mod adjustments. Also would be nice to see custom watt curves on them in the future since 40 dollar mods do it
I think that is most people's complaints with the DNA, give us a decent watt curve or preheat while in power mode. Sure you can trick the DNA via escribe for a preheat when in power mode but it really is not all that. There are so many other mods that work better in power mode than a DNA.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think that is most people's complaints with the DNA, give us a decent watt curve or preheat while in power mode. Sure you can trick the DNA via escribe for a preheat when in power mode but it really is not all that. There are so many other mods that work better in power mode than a DNA.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Agreed, and I couldn't trick the DNA to accept four batteries so I had decided the RX300 was better (also a lot cheaper). Moving from the RX2/3 to the RX300 there already is a very noticeable upgrade to how well it vapes... even at medium-low watts... I am at 58W on a single 7 wraps 3.5mm 28/38 Ni80 alien coil in my original black 24mm goon, that was my 2nd coil build and finally am using it now─all thanks to the custom curve preheat in VW.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
NICE...It would take a 2 hr video to cover it all but nice job at getting the word out.. I didn't notice what build you used but there is a new stable build 170508 and a new editor V7 with more features.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
NICE...It would take a 2 hr video to cover it all but nice job at getting the word out.. I didn't notice what build you used but there is a new stable build 170508 and a new editor V7 with more features.
170331 nightly build

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
170331 nightly build
http://nfeteam.org/
The new stable build is on the main page. There's a new foxie menu with tons of info displayed plus the old ones and preset power curves and some other features. BUT it will over write the profiles so you need to save them before you update. There's also a new nightly build editor that has a logo up loader in the AFtoolbox config menu.(with glitches) But you can up load them from the editor in all the versions. Also the new stuff isn't backwards compatible with the older versions. Glad you took the time to do the video.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
http://nfeteam.org/
The new stable build is on the main page. There's a new foxie menu with tons of info displayed plus the old ones and preset power curves and some other features. BUT it will over write the profiles so you need to save them before you update. There's also a new nightly build editor that has a logo up loader in the AFtoolbox config menu.(with glitches) But you can up load them from the editor in all the versions. Also the new stuff isn't backwards compatible with the older versions. Glad you took the time to do the video.
thanks! i'll check out the new version when I put it on the predator

...arctic fox is the shit... imo customized software option is better than stock for anything (hence why i use android ;))
...only option they need to add imo is press/hold watt increments - i would love to remove the tenths :D

VapeNMirrors

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are any of those a squonker?

Are there any unlisted squonk boxes? Maybe even a clone or licensee of one of the 3 brands.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I believe there's a Pico squonk that *should* work. It's the most recent and not listed but can't imagine it's chip is different. No idea on the others, you'll need to cross reference product catalogs.

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
...arctic fox is the shit... imo customized software option is better than stock for anything (hence why i use android ;))
...only option they need to add imo is press/hold watt increments - i would love to remove the tenths :D
It's already there, has been for a while

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's at the top of the Settings menu.

VU Sponsors