Become a Patron!

Are Contest Jockeys Shills Too?

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So all this debate about shills lately got me thinking... Is someone who enters multiple contest a shill as well?
The companies holding the giveaway usually ask for some sort of cross promotion on your social media in exchange for the possibility of free gear. So the contestant shares the company's links all over the place; many times without having any experience with the product or company. Is that worse than the traditional shilling we are used to? I'm talking about contest jockeys here, people who will hop on pretty much anything someone is "giving away".

*** I don't do contest and have no issues with people who do***

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I quit entering contests. Not really anything I want to win....
And most all of the stuff I won in the past was Smok stuff anyway....

Did enter the playstation contest though.
Would be a good Christmas gift for someone.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The retail e-Liquid in your avatar could be considered shilling.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, I think it is shilling..... it is usually some cheap ass chinese shit, and they want a way to contact you to hammer you with their promotions,or hammer your friends with promotions.... that's why I always ignore them....

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
You can avoid being a shill by only entering contests that don't require reposting crap to other social media

When I do enter a contest that requires a comment about the item up on the block, just be honest

When I entered the contest for a VooPoo Drag I was honest and said I wanted to win it because I like saying VooPoo :giggle:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So all this debate about shills lately got me thinking... Is someone who enters multiple contest a shill as well?
The companies holding the giveaway usually ask for some sort of cross promotion on your social media in exchange for the possibility of free gear. So the contestant shares the company's links all over the place; many times without having any experience with the product or company. Is that worse than the traditional shilling we are used to? I'm talking about contest jockeys here, people who will hop on pretty much anything someone is "giving away".

*** I don't do contest and have no issues with people who do***

I think some contests and some contest-enterers -- those who seem to find that the foremost benefit of the forum -- definitely lean in that direction. I don't enter a lot of contests, because there really isn't a lot of stuff I really need or want, but now and then a contest will grab my attention, either by virtue of the contest itself being fun (the meme one was terrific!!! MORE MORE MORE!!! :giggle:), or they're giving away something that actually does interest me (I'd kill for an Aegis!). I usually don't win anything, but I was recently surprised by Cacuqecig when I was informed that I had won a Pico kit -- haven't heard anything further about it, so I have no idea if there actually will be a Pico kit heading my way, but I invested nothing but a few minutes of my time, so if not... no biggie.

I don't like the ones so much that want you to multi-post all over social media,. but a mention of the contest and vendor, to enter the contest, I don't mind. Really all I ever use my social media accts for is to talk up vaping in every conceivable way, so it doesn't seem inappropriate.

Andria

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Many people are easily triggered these days. They have a hyperactive kneejerk reaction to just about anything. I've noticed it a lot, with everything. Social issues, vape issues. It's trendy to just jump all over shit and 'call something out' regardless what it is. People can be like 'so my mod's having this probl...' - "SMOK SUCKS, FUCK SMOK" - '... yea well it's a lost vape mod, so it's doing this thing where.. "SMOK SUCKS!!!!".

Fake. Another favorite. Everything is 'fake', if it doesn't immediately work and make someone happier than a technocolor unicorn it's 'fake'. Fake news, fake batteries, fake you name it. Dude so I was using a qtip to clean my ear and the stem bent a little. Well what the fuck do you expect, you bought fake qtips. wtf? Okay. You turn on a lamp and the bulb blows (hey, believe it or not this used to happen once in awhile for the younger generation unfamiliar). It's not automatically a fake bulb. Sometimes shit just wears out and breaks.

Shill falls under this category. Everyone is a shill. "So I bought this mod for the purposes of.. " - SHILL! Overuse of a word that sharply declined in popularity from the 1800's until the 1930's/40's and is steadily making its way back up in recent years. Even if the circumstances were there and someone did somehow profit from something they have a vested interest in while promoting it, there's always the possibility they actually believe in it and their opinion is honest. Opinions are subjective so hard to qualify as genuine or disingenuous. We live in a triggered society now though so that condition can never exist and someone absolutely positively must be a shill at all times.

A perfect example, I tried selling Kirby vacuums. The job lasted a few months, I stopped because I sold one in like 3mo. Shittiest salesman ever. I genuinely liked the product. I thought they were high priced when I tried to sell them, I still think they're priced pretty damn high. I still recommend if someone has the budget for one, go for it. One of the best vacuums I've ever tried and I tried a shit ton of them. That was some 18-20yrs ago and I certainly don't earn special 'kirby points' for praising them, though some would still likely call me a shill simply because I sold them at one point.

Not sure what people expect, those with experience enough to do thorough reviews and comparisons when it comes to vape gear likely work at a shop or own a shop. It's a natural environment when you're around products all day long to have knowledge of them. It's also pretty common to advertise various things, it keeps the light bill paid. Commercial advertising is literally what keeps the local news and television programming available, I guess that makes every actor/show a shill as well. Yes some reviewers go overboard and say everything is awesome simply to keep getting free things and to be considered for future products to review so there's a bit of truth. Shills do exist, but not to the extent that everyone slings words and labels around they way it's become so trendy to do these days.

Maybe I'm just getting older and grumpier as time goes on. Half the time so many labels get thrown around so often I wish schools still offered a fucking English class once in awhile to reacquaint people with the basics of words, how and when to use them without butchering and bastardizing it.

I'd agree that people sharing advertising links and further promoting items for a chance to win are guilty of some of the same things as shills but not sure it makes them one. It's pretty obvious they're sharing a link or getting 'likes' purely as an entry requirement for an item, not necessarily an endorsement or an act of deception. If they were simply throwing links around and telling everyone 'check it out, it's awesome and works great!' without revealing they were increasing their odds of getting perks or swag or winning an item for doing so then yes, they'd be a shill.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can avoid being a shill by only entering contests that don't require reposting crap to other social media

When I do enter a contest that requires a comment about the item up on the block, just be honest

When I entered the contest for a VooPoo Drag I was honest and said I wanted to win it because I like saying VooPoo :giggle:
yep I enter no contests that require unsocial media posts and such.
This is as unsocial media as I get.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I wish schools still offered a fucking English class once in awhile to reacquaint people with the basics of words, how and when to use them without butchering and bastardizing it.

See, it's when you say brilliant things like this, I want to vote for you for SOMETHING. :D I'll be your shill! :giggle:

Andria

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

^This^

I don't do contests anymore but when I did I only entered contests restricted to VU participation. The only thing required was posting in the thread. Usually something witty or a meme or picture.

I never entered contests that required sharing links, likes or anything else. If I had to go to another site to enter, I didn't enter.

To answer the OP, if the contest requires sharing or otherwise promoting the product or vendor then of course it is shilling. They are advertising for the vendor with the hope of getting something in return.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I avoid most contests regardless what they are. Most are a lot of jumping through hoops, the fine print can disqualify you if not done to the tee. A lot of tedious work and I've never won anything. It becomes more practical for me to just buy something if I want it. Besides, the vape contests usually ask you to tag 3 or 5 fellow vapers. That's when I realize I only know like 2 other vapers and how sad my 'friends' group is. Then I pause and have a quiet cry because I'm painfully aware how pathetic I am. :p

@AndriaD Yea, that's what I need.. lmao, voted for something. I piss off enough folks just being a nobody, much less anything voted on. haha.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
well the word shill- seems to carry a negative connotation in this question.
however it will all depend on your actual definition of shilling
to me athletes on commericials are shilling
but if we google a definition of shill we get
an accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others.

so that term doesnt quite fit in my mind for someone entering a contest
but in a very loose definition I could see how people entering contests could be seen as shills
however that doesn't bother me at all
its the intent that matters
is someone entering a contest spamming their social media or a thread out to deceive me and others??? probably not. they just want something free and who doesnt like free stuff
but as I believed was the case over in the HC threads, I feel those accounts were out to deceive me and others and that is not acceptable in my opinion

so regardless of how you want to view what someone is doing and what you want to call it, I think the important thing is the intent.
you want to call contest entrants shills? go for it, I can actually see where you are coming from, but they aren't out there trying to deceive, manipulate or harm anyone imho

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer

What Miss Lucy Said^^^^^

I also like saying "Poo":poop:

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
well the word shill- seems to carry a negative connotation in this question.
however it will all depend on your actual definition of shilling
to me athletes on commericials are shilling
but if we google a definition of shill we get
an accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others.

so that term doesnt quite fit in my mind for someone entering a contest
but in a very loose definition I could see how people entering contests could be seen as shills
however that doesn't bother me at all
its the intent that matters
is someone entering a contest spamming their social media or a thread out to deceive me and others??? probably not. they just want something free and who doesnt like free stuff
but as I believed was the case over in the HC threads, I feel those accounts were out to deceive me and others and that is not acceptable in my opinion

so regardless of how you want to view what someone is doing and what you want to call it, I think the important thing is the intent.
you want to call contest entrants shills? go for it, I can actually see where you are coming from, but they aren't out there trying to deceive, manipulate or harm anyone imho

I will enter a contest from time to time if it is something that I would really like to have.

And there have been occasions when I have actually won something where they contact me saying something along the lines of "If you write a favorable review of the item you have just won, we will send you more free stuff":poop:

That really pisses me off:gaah:

When I write a review, I have used the hardware for a minimum of one month of daily use. And E-Liquids when I first get them and then 2 weeks later. And I am brutally honest about what I have to say in the reviews. Even if has cost me a bunch of "Free Stuff". Screw them.

I am also not into a contest where you have to participate via social media.

Just have a contest here on VU for VU members!

Mini Rant over:p

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I will enter a contest from time to time if it is something that I would really like to have.

And there have been occasions when I have actually won something where they contact me saying something along the lines of "If you write a favorable review of the item you have just won, we will send you more free stuff":poop:

That really pisses me off:gaah:

When I write a review, I have used the hardware for a minimum of one month of daily use. And E-Liquids when I first get them and then 2 weeks later. And I am brutally honest about what I have to say in the reviews. Even if has cost me a bunch of "Free Stuff". Screw them.

I am also not into a contest where you have to participate via social media.

Just have a contest here on VU for VU members!

Mini Rant over:p

I was wondering: is this why some contests will contain a line of instructions that says something like "Against forum rules; deleted by moderator." -- the social media shilling crap?

Andria

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I was wondering: is this why some contests will contain a line of instructions that says something like "Against forum rules; deleted by moderator." -- the social media shilling crap?

Andria

usually that is someone using a special referral link.
some contests offer referral links where every time someone clicks on the link the person who owns the link gets 10 or 20 free entries.
referral links are not allowed under forum rules.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm fine with entering contests that merely require a like and a comment on the product/video. Like what Smokey does. But even then I only enter if I genuinely want the product.

Otherwise I don't bother with anything that requires social media promotions. The extent of my social media participation is that I am a member of 4 message boards and only one of those is vape related so I wouldn't be a good advocate for a vape company looking for a free promo on the slight chance I could win something.

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
A few companies do it good and I have won from them a couple times, Heavengifts I won a DNA mod and a Swag Kit..

You know what I don't really mind if they ask me to share on only one platform it's when they're like, like and follow us here, like our video here and subscribe, follow us over here too, click this link blah blah. The worst is those damn gleam contests where the more shares you get the more entries you get, you just know those prizes generally go to people with a lot of social media presence.. I have about 50 people on my FB most of which I talk to on a monthly basis IRL except a couple which I don't but have on there for contests like @Ramsay Bolton

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Do charity raffles count as shilling ? I won the second prize - but bought ten entries paying in GBP

(yep, blatant flat out bragging here)

VU Sponsors