VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are E-cig Advertisements Exaggerated?

20170921023653_56809.jpg

It is no big secret that advertisements are exaggerated; at least most people think so---more than three in four consumers say most of the claims that brands make in advertisements are exaggerated, as opposed to the 2.8% who say the claims in various ads are very accurate, according to a survey. It is quite understandable on from the brands' point of view---better claims, more sales. But some might say that exaggeration borders on deception, and a conscious deception it is.

20170921024908_61024.jpg

Take a look at the E-cig industry and ask the hard question: are E-cig advertisements exaggerated? If so, how much?

Let us first find a modest example of E-cig advertisement and judge for ourselves if it is truly exaggerated.

Take Joyetech's ProCore Remix as an example. You find words like "sophisticated", "perfectly", "simple and convenient". In fact, you'll find these words universally used in almost every atomizer description page--every atomizer is perfect for both cloud chasing and intense flavor, even though these two attributes are fundamentally incoexistent. The very basic top-fill design turns out to be a geniously engineered special feature which guarantees "simple and convenient" refilling...

20170921023944_90553.png

Now listen to this "The Tomahawk 80W Kit is constructed from stainless steel, exhibiting nothing of feminine elegance throughout its hardened veteran toughness." When a Mod is angular and probably ugly, they say that it's masculine, tough, aggressive, and possess military prowess.

20170921024039_75871.jpg

You might also find words like "impeccable craftsmanship", "exquisite design", or "exceptional visual excellence and dignity", "superior dignity", "unparalleled performance", or even "aesthetic pleasure"... These words have been so widely abused that they very soon lost their gravity.

20170921024117_30491.jpg

One last example, remember the claim that the Pulse 22 and 24 RDAs started the squonking revolution? Well they didn't.

If you are bored enough to read through twenty E-cig reviews, you'll find that there is little or no exaggeration on the specifications and functions of a device---you'll know if they ever lie so slightly. But there are piles and piles of sugar-coated adjectives and frivolous flatteries. Those reviews and advertisements are filled with ill-used and overeager applauses, for something not nearly as good. Sometimes the discrepancy between words and pictures are appalling. But this is no outright lies, no greedy overstatement, no malicious deception; this is just over-decoration and they by words and deeds turn something that was simple and coherent into a masked mass of weight with too much make-ups.

20170921024137_60319.jpg

On the other hand, those E-cig reviewers might consider Cont CV one another's fruits if precision of language is really enforced. There couldn't be more than three different reviews without significant duplications.

Anyways, these exaggerations aren't really harmful since they still provide necessary and accurate information. We may ignore, or scorn the rest.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Yes they do exaggerate. And in some cases even with the specs and functional descriptions - that's not rare at all.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes.
And exaggerations by manufacturers are promoted further by some /many vape reviewers.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I figure that most e-cig makers, being Chinese, simply have no grasp of the English language -- very, Very, VERY few of them exhibit even a BASIC comprehension of English. They might know some of the words, but don't begin to understand what they mean, or how to put them together in a way that makes the least bit of sense. So their flowery praise... I simply ignore it, and look at the specs and design, and do an off-the-cuff statistical analysis of the reviews, if any exist -- if most say "this is a good product" and one or two say it's crap, statistics say that it's probably a good product... and vice-versa. But I also look at the details of the reviews.

Andria

VU Sponsors