Are my Sony VTC5a authentic?

Discussion in 'Battery Junkies / Chargers' started by bigt_92, Oct 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bigt_92

bigt_92 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Just wanting to be somewhat sure before I go ahead and throw it in my mod, thanks everyone

Attached Files:

2. Mazul

Mazul New Member

Blog Posts:
    I'm curious to hear an answer. I recently bought VTC5As and they look identical to yours in every way except for three things:

Your line : SE US18650VTC5A 5A
    My Line: SE US18650VTC5A

Your Line: G 1638935YH15C
    My Line: K 5AA13ZF13Y

On my batteries those two lines of text were covered by a pretty generic white sticker that only said SONY VTC5A.

3. bigt_92

bigt_92 New Member

Blog Posts:
    I'm hesitant to use these but I want to f#%^*ng vape already

4. KingPin!

KingPin! Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
  5. bigt_92

bigt_92 New Member

Blog Posts:
  6. r055co

r055co VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Where'd you buy them? If you got them from Amazon or eBay I highly doubt they're authentic.

7. bigt_92

bigt_92 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Imr Batteries, I know it's a trusted vendor but damnit I'm too cautious when it comes to batteries

VirginiaVaping likes this.
  8. r055co

r055co VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    You're fine, IMR Batteries are on top of it and they can be trusted. One time they got a batch of LG's that weren't authentic, very good deception that fooled a lot of other Vendors. IMR proactively reached out to their customers that bought them and offered to either replace or refund, they can be trusted.

gopher_byrd and downInTn like this.
  9. gopher_byrd

gopher_byrd Cranky Old Fart VU Donator Silver Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    As @r055co said you can trust IMR. Your's match up with the VTC5A's I got from Liionwholesale with the exception of the second line which is the batch/date code. And to further ease your fears paging @[email protected] who is a battery expert!

Teresa P likes this.
  10. So619Cal

So619Cal Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    I own 12 pairs of 5As all from IMR... half of them are different. What I mean by different? The crimping on the casing near the positive pole is different.

Noticed this one day when I decided to rewrap a few pair with a gray wrapper to match one of my squonk mods ;)

I immediately looked over mooch's post, contacted IMR, and ran them through my Opus charger to see at least if they got close to the 2600mAh and they did.

When I Pm'd Mooch pictures he was genuinely intrigued about the change, but also said that the 5As were mfg'd in a few different places and its not uncommon to have crimp differences on the cases.

Everything else visually lined up, even weight and length. Performance wise they seem legit. Even in my Tubes running <.12 builds they never got warm ( or abnormally warm )

Visually the crimp on the case looked like the VTC6 on those I noticed, but the mAh wasn't 3000

Long story short...I don't use those 6 in my tubes anymore, and only in my squonks with builds above .25.

Outside of my Opus charger testing the mAh, weighing, measuring and visually looking at the post legs and markings/stamping I am unable to verify with 100% certainty their legitimacy...but I am 95% sure they are legit...plus I ran them pretty hard for months with <.12 builds

Edit: Picture all 5As...left and middle match your pictures of the crimping, right matches Mooch's file photo of the 5A

upload_2017-10-22_8-26-49.png

11. So619Cal

So619Cal Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Carambrda and KingPin! like this.
  12. Jonnystevenson

Jonnystevenson Bronze Contributor Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Moochs Test Results – The Sony VTC5A is a fantastic 25A 2500mAh battery. It runs at a higher voltage than the Aspire 1800mAh, VTC4/5, 25R, and HD2C and runs for almost as long as the VTC5. I want to do some more comparisons against other cells but this is probably one of the top three best 18650’s.