Become a Patron!

Are pod systems really illegal

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
States that new pods that werent pre registered for the most part are illegal. After 8/8/16 is what it says. Hmm

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sort of a Grey area?

Jul 20, 2018 - compliance dates are being extended from November 8, 2017 (SE EX requests), ... The compliance dates for requirements under the final deeming rule are detailed in the .... application (PMTA) (section ... November 8, 2019.

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/TobaccoProducts/Labeling/RulesRegulationsGuidance/UCM557716.pdf
I thought that's what I heard before about dates being extended. This was a weird article I posted. Headline was about fake juuls which is why I opened it to begin with. Then it went to something completely different.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah there is a Chicken Little on this forum who keeps posting about the August 8, 2016 Deeming Regulations date all the time but that was extended. So much disinformation floating around you have to go to the source if you want accurate information.

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, if they're fakes then yes, they're illegal since Juul owns the name and design. It's copyright infringement at a minimum, and probably fraud at worst.

You wouldn't have an issue unless you were importing or reselling them though, but Juul has the local presence, money, and political clout to go after people cutting into their market share illegally.

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I read about a third of that article. About a quarter of the way through I was literally blown away by the idiocy of the writer regarding vaping, vaping habits, vaping personality, on and on. Quickly scrolled to the bottom to comment.....nothing. Still can't fathom how clueless someone can be.

Edit: Tried to go back to it, but just couldn't stomach that crap. I'd like to think I'm smarter than that.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
States that new pods that werent pre registered for the most part are illegal. After 8/8/16 is what it says. Hmm

In the USA virtually all of the currently sold vape equipment is technically illegal to sell.
Juuls were not sold in the USA before 8-8-2016 so they are illegal to sell in the USA as well.
Unless they got a PMTA from the FDA and I am aware of none of those being passed for vape stuff.
PMTA MUST be passed before any vape stuff not on the market prior to 8-8-2016 can be sold in the USA.
I am not sure that nicotine salts existed anywhere in the vape world prior to 8-8-2016.

Now vaping stuff on sale prior to 8-8-2016 and after feb I think it is 2007?
Got an extension for 2-3 more years but the stuff introduced after 8-8-2016 did not get an extension.

Last edited:

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In the USA virtually all of the currently sold vape equipment is technically illegal to sell.
Juuls were not sold in the USA before 8-8-2016 so they are illegal to sell in the USA as well.
Unless they got a PMTA from the FDA and I am aware of none of those being passed for vape stuff.
PMTA MUST be passed before any vape stuff not on the market prior to 8-8-2016 can be sold in the USA.
I am not sure that nicotine salts existed anywhere in the vape world prior to 8-8-2016.

Now vaping stuff on sale prior to 8-8-2016 and after feb I think it is 2007?
Got an extension for 2-3 more years but the stuff introduced after 8-8-2016 did not get an extension.
I think the current administration has less of a hard on for killing off vaping than the last one, and are more willing to acknowledge it's benefits rather than pushing the "smoking is bad and smokers are bad and if it looks like smoke you're bad" rhetoric.

VU Sponsors