Become a Patron!

Are the trusty 25R's we know and love really 22 amp and not 20? The math says so.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi people. I noticed on the steam engine calculator, the INR18650-25R is listed at 8.8C, and is 2500MAH.

So, 2500MAH times 8.8 makes 22 amps, not 20. Do we say 20 incase the battery is lower than 2500MAH for safety or something? As on the calculator it counts them as 8.8C, and they are indeed 8.8C from what I can find, and the calculator lists them as 22 amp.

So, are they 20 or 22 amp batteries?

EDIT: Sorry, my confusion got my watts and amps mixed up a few times. Corrected now.

EDIT 2: How would I actually find the real capacity of my batteries? My charger is a nitecore with just 3 flashing lights, I wish I noticed the one with a digital screen for 2 more pounds on the shops next page, but oh well, this will do for now. It charges safely, Nitecore i2.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It's 20A. Steam Engine must have a typo.

There are very few chargers on the market that can show you the capacity. If you just want to find the capacity under a very low current you can make up something to do it. Something like this is really simple if you have any experience with arduino: https://www.electronicsblog.net/ver...ion-battery-capacity-testerdischarge-monitor/. Note that a test will take several hours.

The capacity can change under load though, and making a discharge tester that works under higher current is much, much more expensive.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

There are very few chargers on the market that can show you the capacity. If you just want to find the capacity under a very low current you can make up something to do it. Something like this is really simple if you have any experience with arduino: https://www.electronicsblog.net/ver...ion-battery-capacity-testerdischarge-monitor/. Note that a test will take several hours.

The capacity can change under load though, and making a discharge tester that works under higher current is much, much more expensive.
Ahh, typo then, thought it was odd. I'm not familiar with arduinos, I may just invest in a better charger, shame I didn't notice the one for the extra couple of pounds with the LCD display by nitecore, it would of had all the info. I can't get that tonight as I can just about afford the sig 150 and batteries, then the long wait untill tuesday lol.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Good to know.

I've always assumed it was 20. What's two amps less wiggle room, anyway?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Very true, I was just thinking of when putting it to the top end of its rating it could matter. Was giving me a bit more headroom than I should of had on my Sig150 that I am ordering midnight tonight, (money goes in then) going to get some vtc4's as my usual shop has them as well as a pair of 25R's.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Very true, I was just thinking of when putting it to the top end of its rating it could matter. Was giving me a bit more headroom than I should of had on my Sig150 that I am ordering midnight tonight, (money goes in then) going to get some vtc4's as my usual shop has them as well as a pair of 25R's.
Ahh, yeah that makes sense. I don't use 25r's for that purpose, so it never occurred to me. I mostly like them for their decent amp rating and higher capacity over the VTC4. I use them for lower-power, longevity-geared setups. For pushing the envelope, I already have my VTC4's.

Ordred the SIG150, real excited now.
Haha, I've got my finger on the trigger for one of those, myself. Can't wait for payday.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahh, yeah that makes sense. I don't use 25r's for that purpose, so it never occurred to me. I mostly like them for their decent amp rating and higher capacity over the VTC4. I use them for lower-power, longevity-geared setups. For pushing the envelope, I already have my VTC4's.

Haha, I've got my finger on the trigger for one of those, myself. Can't wait for payday.
I currently only own a 30 watt device by sigelei, so this will make me learn more which is quite cool. I doubt I will be going 100 and over often, but when I do, I want it to be worth it lol.I got some vtc4's along with my normal 25R's in pairs, so when I want to go mad I have the sonys. Got some 24 Gauge 10 metres in the post yesterday ready for it. :).

VU Sponsors