Become a Patron!

Are watkins flavorings ok?

jbennett925

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was walking around walmart and found abunch of flavorings (10 or so) and i was wondering if they are ok to use and if so should the percentages be low moderate or high for these flavorings.... TIA

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think they may be oil based. I was eyeing them too the other day. I will have to do some research.

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You definitely have to read the ingredients. Any gums, sugars in any form, or oils would be bad to vape. From what I've read about them, even if you do find one that has an OK ingredient list, it takes too much flavor. They're not as concentrated for the most part.

jbennett925

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
the ones ive seen were all pg water and alcohol artificial flavorings no oil or sugars or anything of the sorts

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What @glassgrl said is right on the money.
And when I very first started to DIY my liquids I asked the same question on another forum and was told the same things that glassgrl just said.
Well, I went ahead and decided to buy a bottle anyway and give it a try.
Absolute disaster and waste of money.
It takes a shit ton of the stuff to get any flavor and by the time you've put so much in it tastes like fucking moose piss.
Save your money and get something reputable for vaping. It's so much more worth it.
Learn from my experiment and avoid it. Or be like me and try it yourself.

jbennett925

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What @glassgrl said is right on the money.
And when I very first started to DIY my liquids I asked the same question on another forum and was told the same things that glassgrl just said.
Well, I went ahead and decided to buy a bottle anyway and give it a try.
It takes a shit ton of the stuff to get any flavor and by the time you've put so much in it tastes like fucking moose piss.
Save your money and get something reputable for vaping. It's so much more worth it.
Learn from my experiment and avoid it. Or be like me and try it yourself.
appreciate it... im just gonna place an order and patiently wait i really shouldve ordered alot of flavorings with my diy kit instead of 9....

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I couldn't disagree more. I picked up Hazelnut, Caramel, and a few others. I just made a Nutella flavor that's pretty spot-on. Since flavor is subjective, I don't understand how people can claim to denounce the whole company for everyone. They're less than $4 for 59 ml. To each their own. I say give 'em a shot unless you're paranoid or way too new to be mixing on your own.
45ca45da7796969613780c81e054b505.jpg

jbennett925

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@VapingJunkie at what percentages did you mix at and what was your pg/vg i am new at diy but not incompetent....

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
PG/VG: 30/70. Nic: 8 mg/ml
6% Chocolate - LorAnns
10% Hazelnut - Watkins
1% Acetyl Pyrazine

A quick trip through my 3-step steeping process, and it came out delicious! Not at all like moose piss, but then again, I wouldn't know what that tastes like. ;)

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I couldn't disagree more. I picked up Hazelnut, Caramel, and a few others. I just made a Nutella flavor that's pretty spot-on. Since flavor is subjective, I don't understand how people can claim to denounce the whole company for everyone. They're less than $4 for 59 ml. To each their own. I say give 'em a shot unless you're paranoid or way too new to be mixing on your own.
45ca45da7796969613780c81e054b505.jpg
Shit I really don't care one way or the other what people do with their vape as long as it's safe.
It's easy to find the watkins flavorings with the ingredients shown in your post. But I don't think that's the issue.
Hell, maybe every one should try watkins at least once. You're right, it's cheap and if it don't work out then no big loss.
Taste is subjective. I think the stuff is gross. Other folks may think it tastes like heaven.
Dude asked for some input so I gave mine. Don't think I dismissed it for the entire human population. I just stated an opinion.
I'm actually glad to here that you can come up with something that you like. :)

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Absolute disaster and waste of money.....Save your money and get something reputable for vaping. It's so much more worth it...
Dude asked for some input so I gave mine. Don't think I dismissed it for the entire human population. I just stated an opinion.
You sho' bout 'dat? ;) (Just poking fun, please don't get upset)

AyeJay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Watkins Cherry is one of the better cherry flavorings I have had.

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Watkins Cherry is one of the better cherry flavorings I have had.
That's the one a hate! lol
How are you mixing it to make it work?
I Keep the ones I've tried mixing but only as backups for possible e-liquid droughts.
I would like to know what you do to make it work for you.

AyeJay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's the one a hate! lol
How are you mixing it to make it work?
I Keep the ones I've tried mixing but only as backups for possible e-liquid droughts.
I would like to know what you do to make it work for you.

I mix it with some type of vanilla (I use FA vanilla classic) to round it off a little. Start with low % of both. The trick is to start low enough and hit the sweet spot before it becomes cough syrupy, which most cherry flavors start out as. I'll peruse my notes tomorrow and look for more specifics.

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I mix it with some type of vanilla (I use FA vanilla classic) to round it off a little. Start with low % of both. The trick is to start low enough and hit the sweet spot before it becomes cough syrupy, which most cherry flavors start out as. I'll peruse my notes tomorrow and look for more specifics.
Very cool. Thank you:)

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What is the color of the extract? I can't tell if the bottle is dark or if it's the contents.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Caramel has color, but hazelnut and strawberry are clear.

Sent from the Otter Box around my Galaxy S4.

LIFEBAIN

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Any input on the Lorann cream cheese Bakery emulsion? it says it has pg ,water, natural and artificial flavors gum, sodium benzoate citric acid ? gluten free sugar free

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
LorAnns is not popular with DIYers. LIFEBAIN as the flavorings are weak compared to the available (and inexpensive) options and while the one you mention is an exception, many contain oils.

With regard to Watkins, consider that, by law, the ingredients are listed in order of percentage contained therein. If Watkins is 18% alcohol, it must then contain a higher percentage of the other ingredients listed. Watkins flavorings are, therefore, mostly water.

One cannot argue against a user's preference, but I'll stick to flavors that are mostly flavoring. In that manner, I can be content with one or two percent rather than 10% or more. :)

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have trouble with both the LA and NF because of the high alcohol content used.
Can actually taste it and it's kind-of a pain to get rid of that even with leaving the tops off, etc.
Strange too because even though some of the VZ-SC flavors are alcohol based, I don't really taste it.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was eyeing up the Watkins flavors at Menards today. I was scratching temple thinking hmmmm. Bubble Gum, Root Beer, Strawberry, I might be able to use these! Under $3 for 2OZ is too good to be true. I imagine they wouldn't be too good.

But for the price I got Strawberry and will try it out.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I was eyeing up the Watkins flavors at Menards today. I was scratching temple thinking hmmmm. Bubble Gum, Root Beer, Strawberry, I might be able to use these! Under $3 for 2OZ is too good to be true. I imagine they wouldn't be too good.

But for the price I got Strawberry and will try it out.
2 things, Id be very carful and really dig into the ingredients before trying and them and they are far less concentrated than what we are accustomed to. I know people have and live to tell the story lol but Id stick to what we know and have a better understanding of. and as mentioned above most are alcohol extracts that would take months of steeping if they even ever burned off enough to vape hence 3 dollar price tag. they are for cooking :)

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
2 things, Id be very carful and really dig into the ingredients before trying and them and they are far less concentrated than what we are accustomed to. I know people have and live to tell the story lol but Id stick to what we know and have a better understanding of. and as mentioned above most are alcohol extracts that would take months of steeping if they even ever burned off enough to vape hence 3 dollar price tag. they are for cooking :)
Screw it then. I won't try it. Your word means alot.:) I have so many other quality Strawberries to play with.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was walking around walmart and found abunch of flavorings (10 or so) and i was wondering if they are ok to use and if so should the percentages be low moderate or high for these flavorings.... TIA
Many have oils and the rest are over 50% alcohol.
Tried some early on in my DIY.
Gently boiled the alcohol out of the cherry flavoring in a nukerwave and it was not too bad.

If you have access to FA, CAP, etc do not mess with them though.
Cap and such are much better and safer.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Keep in mind that NO flavorings in the USA are approved for use in vaping.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Good, fudge is better. None of that microwave fudge either. Stove top old school stir till your am drops off fudge.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I usually buy store bought, but I also have some DIY. I use clubhouse (roughly the same idea as watkins). The idea is read the label. You should have flavoring, PG, water, alcohol. Now, these flavorings are not as strong as vape flavoring. So you need to use more. I also let them sit and allow air to get in to help evaporate the alcohol and water content. Don't buy "oils". When it comes right down to it, all flavors (and perfumes) are made the same way. Scent (flavor) is extracted with PG, alcohol, distilled water, etc. Some are just stronger because they are allowed to sit longer and don't add liquid to increase volume. Mind you, i prefer the FA and other vaping extracts, but in a pinch.... Again.. be very careful about ingredients! Evaporating water and alcohol is one thing, vaping oil is another!

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
True, but I am concerned it may act as a "Gateway Drug" and lead to stronger stuff I just couldn't handle. :facepalm:

Ron
---
"Nothing happens without a reason."- Marilyn Monroe
Your concern is valid. I can eat a pan of fudge in 3 days.

VU Sponsors