Become a Patron!

Are we tasting the same thing?

Hello - I have been DIYing for 4/5 months. Still new. What I dont get is how subjective DIY juice is. It can be affected by so many different factors from the obvious to not so obvious:
1) The mixer
2) The ingredients - ok we use same flavors but PG, VG and nic are not same
3) How long its aged
4) Temperature
5) Airflow
6) Coil build
7) Age of coil - new coils and old taste different
8) What you have been eating, drinking, vaping - it seems to me juice tastes different when my mouth is fresh in the morning. After coffee and vaping for a few hours certain flavors diminish - as an example
9/ PG/VG ratios

There are probably a multitude of other factors. Its just my observation. I noticed that I can taste TPA strawberry ripe very clearly then need to change the coil and then the strawberry note is almost non existent and the Graham cracker is more clear, even though the coil and settings are the same, just the coil is new. Bought juices have so much flavoring and sugar that these differences don't seem as pronounced.

How do we discuss a juice when person A is using 80 VG /20 PG at 30 watts total open airflow vs person B with an RBA deck, 50 VG /50 PG closed airflow at 100 watts for example. The juice will taste totally different? Is this a fair assessment or is it just me?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is this a fair assessment or is it just me?
Nope, not just you. I've found that juices I absolutely loved when I first started vaping - with an eGo batt and ce4 - are purely nasty in current sub ohm tanks and regulated box mods. Very disappointing. What's more disappointing is that I've never been able to make any adjustments in wattage or coil build to make them taste like they used to.
I made a coffee extract of my own once, which tasted really good in the tank I was using at the time, a Kanger sub ohm, I think. I shared with a friend who was still on the eGo and some small cartomizer, and his tasted like melons. Will never figure that one out. o_O
Welcome to VU! :)

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Good morning and welcome to VU.
The subjectivity of vaping in general is what keeps the forums alive and interesting. How boring would it be if we had the same likes and experiences. We share our impressions and ideas and go from there when it comes to flavors and mixing.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Nope, not just you. I've found that juices I absolutely loved when I first started vaping - with an eGo batt and ce4 - are purely nasty in current sub ohm tanks and regulated box mods. Very disappointing. What's more disappointing is that I've never been able to make any adjustments in wattage or coil build to make them taste like they used to.
Same here. A juice I was vaping with a protank at 11% flavoring, had to be adjusted completely. Now vaping that juice at 4% flavoring, all percentages changed because I'm using RTAs.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is very frustrating at times. Other times it can be a royal pain in the ass. Then there are those times when you're just so damn pleased with yourself for making such great juice that is a pleasure to vape. It's kind of like being married and having kids.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
It is very frustrating at times. Other times it can be a royal pain in the ass. Then there are those times when you're just so damn pleased with yourself for making such great juice that is a pleasure to vape. It's kind of like being married and having kids.
Wouldn't know about that. Yes it is both rewarding and frustrating.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes we can make coils and such for specific juice mix ratios.
I prefer to keep it simple and Vape with stuff that I can make all vape well with the same juice as opposed to keeping different mixes for different attys/builds.

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I just try to find people who vape similarly to me and have similar opinions on other flavors as I do. (if that makes sense) But in the end, I really won't know until I taste it myself.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
well then there is the variety of what the same thing can taste like
black licorice is a good example
or root beer is even better
rootbeer could be a&w or barqs or old fashioned, or stuarts, or sasparilla or something very herbal

fruit flavors - do you mean a red apple a granny smith a fuji a cooking apple, a sour apple a candy apple a golden delicious?
so when a company makes a flavor they are making their idea of that flavor which may not be the same idea you have of that flavor

But flavors even change for me

I like RF brownie/. It used to taste like brownie batter to me...months later even using fresh just bought flavoring..it tastes more like a baked brownie. SO your taste buds change the more you use a flavor

It drive me nuts, because I have used a few flavors that when I mix them the first time or 3 taste amazing. Then I make more and it tastes bland or totally different to me||I used to love HIC's 3 milky musketeers recipe. So much so I had MamaJ make me 4 ozs of it premixed TWICE. But last time I mixed some it tasted like ass

I have one recipe which is just peach and mango. Its my staple juice. been using it for years, I can't even taste it some days and other days I can.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I have one recipe which is just peach and mango. Its my staple juice. been using it for years, I can't even taste it some days and other days I can.
I'm that way with my orange recipes.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
just to elaborate on this.
Im testing RF french toast
Now when I think of french toast the main flavor I think of is cinnamon
well I taste vanilla, butter, a hint of maple, and a touch of scrambled egg -- All of which is used in making french toast. BUt the vanilla is overly dominant. However I do not taste cinnamon at all

So apparently the folks over at RF don't think french toast means cinnamon and I do. Never heard of french toast without it but different strokes I guess.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
just to elaborate on this.
Im testing RF french toast
Now when I think of french toast the main flavor I think of is cinnamon
well I taste vanilla, butter, a hint of maple, and a touch of scrambled egg -- All of which is used in making french toast. BUt the vanilla is overly dominant. However I do not taste cinnamon at all

So apparently the folks over at RF don't think french toast means cinnamon and I do. Never heard of french toast without it but different strokes I guess.

I wonder if a touch of FLV Rich Cinnamon would rectify that problem? I'd be willing to test it if you want to share the recipe. Assuming I have the flavors, of course.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are just too many variables..it's why I tell new people to listen to people's advice...but always experiment,always try things everybody else says is a waste, try everything you think you may not like..you can never know if it works for you...unless you try it...mixing is the same way ..you really have to tailor it to your tastes.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I didn't care for the RF french toast at all, way too weak for what it's supposed to be. If I have to supplement a flavor with four or five other flavors, then I'll do that to start with to create a profile. The initial french toast flavoring is moot.

VU Sponsors