Become a Patron!

Argh ... my RTA is spitting.

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Been using the tfv8-x baby RTA deck for about 4 days with the factory coil in it, a weird spaced 26g or 28g 5 wrap, have had no issues ... in fact vaped really well. Then today it started spitting. I've tried multiple different wattages, cleaned the tank and coil, change juices several times, still spitting ... I'm at a loss :(

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Adjust your coils, and rewick with more cotton. Spitting generally occurs when there are gaps between the coils and the wick... spaces where liquid can be heated, but not vaporized.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Adjust your coils, and rewick with more cotton. Spitting generally occurs when there are gaps between the coils and the wick... spaces where liquid can be heated, but not vaporized.

I did the change the wick. These coils are spaced out, a couple mil between each wrap ... how exactly do I adjust them properly?

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did the change the wick. These coils are spaced out, a couple mil between each wrap ... how exactly do I adjust them properly?
Move them down lower... closer to the AF, or up higher, away from the AF. It's not so much a science as an art, getting the positioned just so to prevent spitting.

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Move them down lower... closer to the AF, or up higher, away from the AF. It's not so much a science as an art, getting the positioned just so to prevent spitting.

I guess I'll play with it ... and yes it is an art for sure. I have much better luck with RDAs. I find RTAs way more finicky.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I use an angled adapter for my driptip, which prevents *most* "hot pops" from reaching my mouth -- a real necessity due to my very-low-wattage, tight-draw vaping... but I've occasionally had coils that just would NOT fucking behave; they spat at me with every hit, and nothing I did with the wick helped at all -- with those, sometimes the only solution is to replace the coil -- hopefully you're using coils you built yourself, rather than expensive replacement coils. I don't know why sometimes coils are this way, but @shawn.hoefer is correct, it's an art, and sometimes you just have to hold your mouth right. :D

Andria

VU Sponsors