Become a Patron!

Asgard Mini RDA: Aluminum vs steel cap

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got the red version a while back which is aluminum. I don't know why but I feel like I'd like a steel cap version better. I'm pretty sure it's all in my head ?. I want a black one but a steel black one.. The brushed stainless looks awesome too but it's probably sold out everywhere.

Do you guys have a preference about caps? I'm sure it don't matter to a lot of you guys but it might. Aluminum caps became a thing because of heat I'm guessing? I know my Nudge RDAs only came in one style but I'm thinking I'd rather just have steel. I couldn't get into plastic (pei?) caps either. I'm guessing that I would like glass though. Any thought?

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I own the matte black mini and brass mini, I much prefer the brass.

I also run .10/.11 dual Aliens on a mech, I don’t notice much a difference in retained heat, although I know aluminum will displace said heat faster, it will also heat up faster.

I run a taller drip tip on both, and haven’t had any heat issues like I do some other RDAs (nightmare- Valhalla) with steel caps.

I’d also like to grab a brushed stainless mini

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
haven’t had any heat issues like I do some other RDAs (nightmare- Valhalla) with steel caps.
I theorize that this is because the ultem airflow controller both absorbs heat and keeps the coils away from the cap.

I also have a matte black and a brass Asgard Mini and also prefer the brass overall though not by that much.

For high powered mech setups I'm also not huge on non metallic caps. For single coil rdas or regulated or lower power setups they're fine The Goon LP is good with the ultem cap on a single battery mech for instance.

My Coilart Dpro rdas have aluminum caps, but I don't run those that hot. Still get some heat in the cap though, but like you say, they cool off fast too.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I theorize that this is because the ultem airflow controller both absorbs heat and keeps the coils away from the cap.

I also have a matte black and a brass Asgard Mini and also prefer the brass overall though not by that much.

For high powered mech setups I'm also not huge on non metallic caps. For single coil rdas or regulated or lower power setups they're fine The Goon LP is good with the ultem cap on a single battery mech for instance.

My Coilart Dpro rdas have aluminum caps, but I don't run those that hot. Still get some heat in the cap though, but like you say, they cool off fast too.

Even the Ultem cap nightmare ran hot... deck would transfer a lot of heat.

Put same two builds in a smaller goon 24 as in the Valhalla 28, both steel caps, goon is considerably cooler.

I attribute it more to how the inside of the Valhalla cap is domed, it’s not one piece but like spot welded in dome.

And as I complained about the HH previously... it got the Asgard’s hot enough I couldn’t vape them

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So what I got out of all that is I need a brass Asgard Mini?

Or the ever elusive copper one...

But honestly any will suffice... I’ll probably grab a brushed stainless one soon myself.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For high powered mech setups I'm also not huge on non metallic caps.
I agree. For high powered mech setups I like to use metalic caps, whereas for very high powered mech setups I often like to use ultem caps instead.

VU Sponsors