Become a Patron!

LivingSacrifice5

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My local shop just got their first shipment of the new Stride VR80 by Asmodus. This thing is GREAT!
It looks good, feels good in the hand, and at 80 watts max (goes from 5w to 80w), it has plenty of power (unless you are using something like the tfv8). It's got all the basic options plus a few extras like the ability to set the max puff time (default 10 sec.), you can change font and screen color and orientation, puff counter, and you can set it to go into sleep mode after a certain amount of time. It has some different modes you can use. : Soft, Power, Bypass, Temp Ni, Temp Ti, and Temp SS. I love the bypass mode! It's like having a mech. and a vw device all in one.
So far this thing kicks ass! I picked it up for $75 at Cosmic Vapor Lounge (a little steep on the price compared to some of the on-line vendors, but It was totally worth it!)
I'll keep up with updates over the next week as I use it more.

Anyone else get one of these things yet?

Vape on, Peace Out!

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My local shop just got their first shipment of the new Stride VR80 by Asmodus. This thing is GREAT!
It looks good, feels good in the hand, and at 80 watts max (goes from 5w to 80w), it has plenty of power (unless you are using something like the tfv8). It's got all the basic options plus a few extras like the ability to set the max puff time (default 10 sec.), you can change font and screen color and orientation, puff counter, and you can set it to go into sleep mode after a certain amount of time. It has some different modes you can use. : Soft, Power, Bypass, Temp Ni, Temp Ti, and Temp SS. I love the bypass mode! It's like having a mech. and a vw device all in one.
So far this thing kicks ass! I picked it up for $75 at Cosmic Vapor Lounge (a little steep on the price compared to some of the on-line vendors, but It was totally worth it!)

Vape on, Peace Out!

I've seen them and while they are nice looking, I would personally avoid purchasing any product sold by Asmodus. The minikin makes a lot of false claims and the recent stabilized wood mods they put out almost electrocuted a reviewer. Seems like they are just pumping out products that have no updates or quality control.

LivingSacrifice5

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've seen them and while they are nice looking, I would personally avoid purchasing any product sold by Asmodus. The minikin makes a lot of false claims and the recent stabilized wood mods they put out almost electrocuted a reviewer. Seems like they are just pumping out products that have no updates or quality control.
Wow, that sucks =( I did hear about some shoddy shit being put out by them, so I did a little research before I got it (and the shop I go to is really anal about what they carry) it was in prototype stage for over a year and has been tested. I am yet to see a bad review on this particular mod.

I'm on day three of constant use. This thing is a beast! It's a single 18650, but it's just as, if not heavier than my rx200 that has 3 18650's. The shell is made out of something that reminds me of what bowling balls are made of, and steel. The part of the battery tube that you can see through the shell is mirror finish chrome plated or something. The front is mirror finish...infact that brings me to my only "bitch" about it so far...the front is a fingerprint magnet and I'm constantly wiping them off....ocd's a bitch!
The buttons are really clicky and feel as high quality as the rest of it. It has a nice customizable color screen, and so far the menu has worked flawlessly. The puff timer doesn't freeze at all when it's timing your puff. You can customize an auto puff limit from 1 second to 10 seconds.

One of my favorite things about this mod is, it displays how many amps your current setup is drawling. There are probably a bunch of mods that do this, but it's the first of mine that does. It also has a customizable auto off function, and a really sturdy 510.

I'v been vaping on it constantly since I got it, and have had no problems whatsoever, so far.

I'll keep updates coming...

Vape on, Peace Out!

frank hughes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Asmodus is only the distributor for this mod. It was designed by Starss who previously released a very similar version of this mod with the Starss branding. I've been using the Stride version for over a week and it has been excellent. Superb button and very nice high end look and feel. Hasn't missed a beat but I've only been running it with a Kayfun 5 at 1 ohm and 16 watts. So I haven't pushed it's limits but for what I've been using it for, it has been flawless. Only thing I would change is to turn off the auto shut down feature. Oh, and get rid of the Oni start up screen.

LivingSacrifice5

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Asmodus is only the distributor for this mod. It was designed by Starss who previously released a very similar version of this mod with the Starss branding. I've been using the Stride version for over a week and it has been excellent. Superb button and very nice high end look and feel. Hasn't missed a beat but I've only been running it with a Kayfun 5 at 1 ohm and 16 watts. So I haven't pushed it's limits but for what I've been using it for, it has been flawless. Only thing I would change is to turn off the auto shut down feature. Oh, and get rid of the Oni start up screen.

I'm glad your enjoying your vr stride! Like you, I think it's a great mid power high quality device.
I've been using atty's with builds ranging from .2 all the way up to 1.2 ohms and it's never missed a beat.
Lately I've been running the uwell crown with the dual .25 ohm SS coil @ 80 watts.....which has been working flawlessly!
...and yeah that start up screen is unchangeable, but you can adjust the auto shutdown time from 5 minutes to 90 minutes by accessing the menu with 3 quick clicks of the fire button and scrolling down to the auto off section.

frank hughes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thx! Got it set to 90 mins shut off time. Currently I'm trying the temp control features with the Kayfun 5 (this one's a clone). Coil is 316L, 26 gage, 2.5 diameter, 7 wraps. Ohms out to about .49 in Temp SS mode. So far it's working pretty good. Just a bit of pulsing but it doesn't effect the vape much. Most importantly it doesn't just cut off like a lot of mods do in temp mode…drives me nutz! I usually use wattage but I have been dabbling with temp control lately.
IMG_0733 2.jpg

LivingSacrifice5

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thx! Got it set to 90 mins shut off time. Currently I'm trying the temp control features with the Kayfun 5 (this one's a clone). Coil is 316L, 26 gage, 2.5 diameter, 7 wraps. Ohms out to about .49 in Temp SS mode. So far it's working pretty good. Just a bit of pulsing but it doesn't effect the vape much. Most importantly it doesn't just cut off like a lot of mods do in temp mode…drives me nutz! I usually use wattage but I have been dabbling with temp control lately.
View attachment 59988
cool man! I've been messing with setting the tcr values for each mode through the eSmoker app that comes with the firmware update. Have you updated the firmware yet? I was having some "weirdness" going on with the tc, but after the update, those problems went away.
I am still experimenting with the tcr values...trying to find the best setting. I'm not having very good luck finding correct data for the different wire types. The values I'm finding are all in a different format (the joyetech or dna format) so you have to convert them for this device. This mod is cool because you can change the tcr values for ALL temp. control modes, not just tcr mode (like on the joyetech format rx200 chip)
As soon as I find the best matching TCR values, I'll post them. It seems to be really sensitive temp. control so the smallest adjustment makes a noticeable difference in temperature fluctuation.

frank hughes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
cool man! I've been messing with setting the tcr values for each mode through the eSmoker app that comes with the firmware update. Have you updated the firmware yet? I was having some "weirdness" going on with the tc, but after the update, those problems went away.
I am still experimenting with the tcr values...trying to find the best setting. I'm not having very good luck finding correct data for the different wire types. The values I'm finding are all in a different format (the joyetech or dna format) so you have to convert them for this device. This mod is cool because you can change the tcr values for ALL temp. control modes, not just tcr mode (like on the joyetech format rx200 chip)
As soon as I find the best matching TCR values, I'll post them. It seems to be really sensitive temp. control so the smallest adjustment makes a noticeable difference in temperature fluctuation.
Didn't know there was a firmware update. I did a quick Googly goo but couldn't find anything. Where did you download it from? As for TCR values, DJLSB Vapes https://www.djlsbvapes.com/different-wires/ has some good info on the different wire types including lots of TCR values to try. I've used the 316L (.00092) in a Cuboid and Pico and they've worked nicely. Might be a good starting point.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's a chart that should help.

qDpbMVR.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

LivingSacrifice5

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Didn't know there was a firmware update. I did a quick Googly goo but couldn't find anything. Where did you download it from? As for TCR values, DJLSB Vapes https://www.djlsbvapes.com/different-wires/ has some good info on the different wire types including lots of TCR values to try. I've used the 316L (.00092) in a Cuboid and Pico and they've worked nicely. Might be a good starting point.
wow man, I sincerely apologize, I was thinking about the target pro when I wrote that! haha again, sorry for the confusion....wow man, I really gotta quit smoking bud. =)
I'm in the process of breaking in two new mods (the stride and the target), both of which I did a post on....my brain just happened to criss cross the two...maybe it needs a firmware update hehe

LivingSacrifice5

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
View attachment 59988
That is a killer looking kayfun btw....I have a tobeco clone....is that one authentic or clone?

frank hughes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That is a killer looking kayfun btw....I have a tobeco clone....is that one authentic or clone?
The Kayfun in the pic is a clone from SJMY. Overall it's pretty good build quality and everything but when I got it one of the o-rings was missing. I had to use one of the spares. And another o-ring was in the wrong place - covering the juice flow slot below the build deck juice wells. Not a huge deal but still I was like WTF?! Lol. Other than that it's a good clone just a bit tighter draw than the authentic. I've been on a retro/Kayfun kick lately. The Kayfun Light was a big part of my early vaping experience and I've kinda come full circle. They're easy on the juice and easy on batteries. But I still gotta chuck some clouds sometimes too ;-) Lol. So I bounce back and forth. But lately my ADV has been the KF5 and KFM3, I've got an authentic and clone of each. How're you liking your tobeco? What's your build in it?

LivingSacrifice5

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Kayfun in the pic is a clone from SJMY. Overall it's pretty good build quality and everything but when I got it one of the o-rings was missing. I had to use one of the spares. And another o-ring was in the wrong place - covering the juice flow slot below the build deck juice wells. Not a huge deal but still I was like WTF?! Lol. Other than that it's a good clone just a bit tighter draw than the authentic. I've been on a retro/Kayfun kick lately. The Kayfun Light was a big part of my early vaping experience and I've kinda come full circle. They're easy on the juice and easy on batteries. But I still gotta chuck some clouds sometimes too ;-) Lol. So I bounce back and forth. But lately my ADV has been the KF5 and KFM3, I've got an authentic and clone of each. How're you liking your tobeco? What's your build in it?

haha yeah, i've also had some weird stuff going on with o-rings n' such on clones...missing screws...metal shavings...burs...i even got a mtl drip tip once that they didn't drill the hole all the way out. It looked like it went all the way through on both sides...but it was solid in the middle....I was trying to take a hit and I couldn't...I was like...dood?!? haha
as for my tobeco...i have kind of a love/hate thing going on. I love it when I can get the wick right....the rest of the time I want to throw it in a trash compactor and hit the "compact" button over and over and over hehe
The air adjustment screw is screwed =) I opened it a little too far once and now it's stuck wide open....which is fine with me beings that's how I always used it anyways.
As for the wicking...no matter what I do, I get juice leaking out the air hole. Unless I build vertical....I started making the coil and wick vertical in the style of the "pre built" coils, like the crown and kanger coils. The cylinder around the coil without the chimney on it is a perfect canvas for a coil like that.
I get the cotton wrapped around the coil just right and tuck it down in and then put the chimney on it....put it together...fill it up....and no leaks. No leaks EVER with a vertical coil in that style.
Unfortunately, that style didn't produce the type of vape I like from a kayfun style atty....not as good in flavor by a long shot....which is kind of redundant on a kayfun!
As for builds I usually build around 1.2 - 1.8ohm kanthal or nichrome single coils. Sometimes If I want to get rediculous, I put a .6 parallel vertical coil in it.

Chris Peltz

Member For 4 Years
I have the original STARRS. The Stride is just a rebrand of the STARRS, just a different nameplate (but you will find that it still says "Designed by STARRS when you open the battery door). They are the same price, same exact mod. It's a fairly good mod for the price. I find the power somewhat lacking compared to other mods like those from HohmTech or any made with evolv chips. But its nice that it is essentially all one piece, no moving parts to deal with.

frank hughes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
haha yeah, i've also had some weird stuff going on with o-rings n' such on clones...missing screws...metal shavings...burs...i even got a mtl drip tip once that they didn't drill the hole all the way out. It looked like it went all the way through on both sides...but it was solid in the middle....I was trying to take a hit and I couldn't...I was like...dood?!? haha
as for my tobeco...i have kind of a love/hate thing going on. I love it when I can get the wick right....the rest of the time I want to throw it in a trash compactor and hit the "compact" button over and over and over hehe
The air adjustment screw is screwed =) I opened it a little too far once and now it's stuck wide open....which is fine with me beings that's how I always used it anyways.
As for the wicking...no matter what I do, I get juice leaking out the air hole. Unless I build vertical....I started making the coil and wick vertical in the style of the "pre built" coils, like the crown and kanger coils. The cylinder around the coil without the chimney on it is a perfect canvas for a coil like that.
I get the cotton wrapped around the coil just right and tuck it down in and then put the chimney on it....put it together...fill it up....and no leaks. No leaks EVER with a vertical coil in that style.
Unfortunately, that style didn't produce the type of vape I like from a kayfun style atty....not as good in flavor by a long shot....which is kind of redundant on a kayfun!
As for builds I usually build around 1.2 - 1.8ohm kanthal or nichrome single coils. Sometimes If I want to get rediculous, I put a .6 parallel vertical coil in it.
Hahaha So how many blood vessels did you pop before you figured out the drip tip was crap? Lol. Yeah I've had some pretty crappy clones and some China mass market authentics that had "issues". I bought a Dark Horse clone that the negative post was bent over and almost touching the positive post. I was going to return it but they closed shop before I could. It was a local B&M head shop that also sold vape gear. Lesson learned… Go to vape shops for vape gear! Lol. Bummer on the Tobeco KF5, I saw a review on it that wasn't great. Not bad just had a few niggles. My KF5 clone is from SJMY and I've got another on it's way from SXK. Love love love my authentic KF5 and KFM3 but damn they're spensive! No regrets though, they are awesome. I use the authentics at home and the clones as beaters when I go out.
cheap-they-said.jpg

frank hughes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the original STARRS. The Stride is just a rebrand of the STARRS, just a different nameplate (but you will find that it still says "Designed by STARRS when you open the battery door). They are the same price, same exact mod. It's a fairly good mod for the price. I find the power somewhat lacking compared to other mods like those from HohmTech or any made with evolv chips. But its nice that it is essentially all one piece, no moving parts to deal with.
I was considering getting the Starss version but I liked the side cutouts on the Stride version a little better. Also, the display board is a little different.
hybrid_stone_by_starss_red.jpg

Vape on, Peace Out!
I have 4 of the Stride vr80's and one of the upgraded versions called the CKS Mod, which is a gold plated version. That comes in Black with gold and purple and gold. I am a 6 yr vaper and I have run the whole gamut of things that has come out since the beginning when vaping started getting popular. Started with kanger tanks and and itaste 134, to vamo 5, and they all sucked, then got into dripping and making my own coils which I loved. Then when subohm tanks started getting popular, I resisted for about 2 months or so then got my first box mod and tank to go with it and I loved it. Loved the flavor I could get with those. I went through a whole bunch of box mods untill I got the CKS mod, which stands for cloud kicking society as most are aware of. I loved it and I went out and over times I have acquired all of them but one and that is the purple with gold plated face and I most likely will get that also. I am responding to this thread to let people know that they are of high quality and work perfectly. I had one problem with one of them and I told them about it and they sent me a new one just like that.

frank hughes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have 4 of the Stride vr80's and one of the upgraded versions called the CKS Mod, which is a gold plated version. That comes in Black with gold and purple and gold. I am a 6 yr vaper and I have run the whole gamut of things that has come out since the beginning when vaping started getting popular. Started with kanger tanks and and itaste 134, to vamo 5, and they all sucked, then got into dripping and making my own coils which I loved. Then when subohm tanks started getting popular, I resisted for about 2 months or so then got my first box mod and tank to go with it and I loved it. Loved the flavor I could get with those. I went through a whole bunch of box mods untill I got the CKS mod, which stands for cloud kicking society as most are aware of. I loved it and I went out and over times I have acquired all of them but one and that is the purple with gold plated face and I most likely will get that also. I am responding to this thread to let people know that they are of high quality and work perfectly. I had one problem with one of them and I told them about it and they sent me a new one just like that.
Four Strides and a gold version…I'm so jealous ;-) Lol. I've had my Stride for three months and it has not left my side. Excellent single battery mod - a solid performer in every way, looks awesome, feels great in the hand and very pocketable. I've been thinking of getting a green one, or maybe a gold one, or…crap…they're all great! Lol

VU Sponsors