Become a Patron!

Aspire Atlantis broke?

Vape The Snake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi all,

Let me start by saying I'm not an expert at vaping, I don't know much but me and one of my friends bought the Aspire Atlantis and mines not working well, his is.

I'm using mine on a Dovpo DT-50, he's using his on an Innokin not sure what model, anyway his works fine and i've tried my tank on his and my taste is still crap.

We bought em from same place (which has closed a few weeks ago), I've bought some coils, and I've used about 4 out of a pack now, and there all the same, I think it might be coils BUT I did get some water inside the big metal bit that runs up to your drip tip top bit, I have let it air out since.

So could that have ruined it or do you think it could be some faulty coils, they are packaged in aspire packaging.

Has anyone got any advice or any tips to get the taste right, I am using 90% VG Liquid.

Thanks In Advance

Cliffs:
Aspire Atlantis tastes like crap
Tested on other batteries still same
Did get water inside the metal bit
Have changed coils and 'primed' them
Still tastes like crap, might taste nice for an hour then go to crap taste
Using 90% VG liquids, have tried 80%, 60% & 50%

Caboose

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It sounds to me like you're burning the wick in your coils, they burn easily if run too dry and running a 90vg juice is probably doing it. That's too much for a tank, try some lower vg juice on a new coil and see if the problem persists, but I doubt it will.

Vape The Snake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It sounds to me like you're burning the wick in your coils, they burn easily if run too dry and running a 90vg juice is probably doing it. That's too much for a tank, try some lower vg juice on a new coil and see if the problem persists, but I doubt it will.
Cheers for reply,

I've tried 50/50 liquid any more pg and I get throat ache, I've tried new coils with low vg liquids and same thing happens, I'm gonna buy a new tank, unless I can find a way to sort it

Caboose

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Actually I don't know how I missed this, how many watts are you vaping it at?

Graham Bradley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
vape under 30 watts? i like 26-27 personally. If you do go a new route for a sub ohm tank check out the Artic, it seems to work very well.

Vape The Snake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I usually do 28w, when starting a new coil I always start it low, when it starts tasting awful, I crank it up and end up at 40w there's still a little flavour there or should I say doesn't taste as bad

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How much nicotine do you have in your juice? If you switched from say an Aspire Nautilus to the Atlantis then you need to lower your nicotine or it will taste like crap no matter what percent of vg you use.

Graham Bradley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
6mg is generally the highest nicotine level you would use in that tank, some people use 12 but that is pretty harsh. Maybe trying 3mg would help. Also i would never run the atlantis past 30W, maybe thats just me but running at 40 seems to burn the wick much quicker, especially when using high vg juices!

Vape The Snake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll try some 3mg but my friend uses 6 and his is still fine, I might try another tank I've had aspire for about 3 months now

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@Vape The Snake ....hi and welcome to VU! I hope we can get you all fixed up and you enjoy your time here. If we haven't been able to solve your problem yet someone will come along and have the answer...just give it a bit :)

Another thing you can try too bud is when you install a fresh new coil you can help make sure it's saturated and primed by dripping a little liquid into your coil from the top around the edges so it doesn't get into the hole in the center of the coil. and then on the juice inlet holes on the side. When you drip on the juice inlet holes literally put one drop and watch it soak into the coil...if the coil takes the whole drop then put a second one on it then go to the next. If your coil isn't properly saturated the first time before it's fired you could be singing and slightly burning the wick and once that happens, even though it's just burned a little bit, you'll never get rid of that singed burnt cotton taste.

Also, if you have problems vaping PG and have to use VG in your tank you can add distilled water to it to thin it out a bit and it will help the coil wick of the liquid better...you only need a tiny bit of it per tank, just a few drops and then maybe one more for good measure...too much water and you'll not only thin out your juice but you'll literally water it down and ruin the taste and the wick...just get a dropper from a bottle or a pipette or a syringe and add a few drops till it looks and feels slightly thinner....like I said, a small bit is all you need.

Worst case you got a bad pack of coils...it's not common but it's still possible, I'd try another pack before you give up and spend that much more on a tank.

What flavor of e-liquid are you using? Certain flavors that are super dark or really sugary can help clog up a wick fast and make those juice inlets not feed as well too. Like my peanut butter cookie flavor for example...it's only a 50/50 mix but I can only use it on a dripper because it gunks up and wreaks hell on a cotton wick worse than some max vg juice I have used. It's both a dark and sugary and salty sweet liquid. Most dessert flavors like peanut butter anything and alot of cinnamon danish flavors and even some custards can do a number on a coils wick fairly quick.

I hope you can figure it out and get it cleared up soon. Not being able to enjoy your vape is hell! best of luck to yah and I hope this helps a little, if it doesn't I am sorry. It's written to mean well :)

Vape The Snake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@Vape The Snake ....hi and welcome to VU! I hope we can get you all fixed up and you enjoy your time here. If we haven't been able to solve your problem yet someone will come along and have the answer...just give it a bit :)

Another thing you can try too bud is when you install a fresh new coil you can help make sure it's saturated and primed by dripping a little liquid into your coil from the top around the edges so it doesn't get into the hole in the center of the coil. and then on the juice inlet holes on the side. When you drip on the juice inlet holes literally put one drop and watch it soak into the coil...if the coil takes the whole drop then put a second one on it then go to the next. If your coil isn't properly saturated the first time before it's fired you could be singing and slightly burning the wick and once that happens, even though it's just burned a little bit, you'll never get rid of that singed burnt cotton taste.

Also, if you have problems vaping PG and have to use VG in your tank you can add distilled water to it to thin it out a bit and it will help the coil wick of the liquid better...you only need a tiny bit of it per tank, just a few drops and then maybe one more for good measure...too much water and you'll not only thin out your juice but you'll literally water it down and ruin the taste and the wick...just get a dropper from a bottle or a pipette or a syringe and add a few drops till it looks and feels slightly thinner....like I said, a small bit is all you need.

Worst case you got a bad pack of coils...it's not common but it's still possible, I'd try another pack before you give up and spend that much more on a tank.

What flavor of e-liquid are you using? Certain flavors that are super dark or really sugary can help clog up a wick fast and make those juice inlets not feed as well too. Like my peanut butter cookie flavor for example...it's only a 50/50 mix but I can only use it on a dripper because it gunks up and wreaks hell on a cotton wick worse than some max vg juice I have used. It's both a dark and sugary and salty sweet liquid. Most dessert flavors like peanut butter anything and alot of cinnamon danish flavors and even some custards can do a number on a coils wick fairly quick.

I hope you can figure it out and get it cleared up soon. Not being able to enjoy your vape is hell! best of luck to yah and I hope this helps a little, if it doesn't I am sorry. It's written to mean well :)

Thanks for the welcome, I've always put liquid into the holes, before vaping it. What I do is when changing coils, I empty the tank of any juice, take out the old coil, take the base off the battery, put a new coil in screw it till its tight but not overly tight, put the base with the coil on the battery, put quite a fair amount of liquid into the holes and around the holes, let it stand while i fill the tank with the same liquid, then put them both together and stand it up for 15 mins or so, then close off the air holes on the base and prime it, let it stand for a few minutes, then prime again then start taking vapes on 15-20w then after a while crank it up slowly to 28w, it might work fine for an hour or so, then the taste goes pretty quick.

I will try that distilled water trick, probably tomorrow that ill do that, is there any way to spot a bad pack of coils, I bought them from a local shop which seems legit, I've found out this morning that you can check online to see if they are legit, so ill do that if i get chance tonight or over the weekend. Money's not an issue for me, so i might buy a new tank, cause from reading everyone has a few tanks on here, but I wont give up on the atlantis, Ill get a new pack of coils from elsewhere, and let it soak for a few days while im using the other tank then try it see if its any better.

Flavourwise I like the mint/menthol ones, I've been using fruity ones such as banana, blueberry, bubblegum, blackcurrent, licorice, i also tried a monster energy one one which was awful, some of these have been 80% vg some 90%, the lower vg ones i've tried have been cappuccino, amaretto, coke, vanilla & candy floss. The only flavours i've truly enjoyed have been the mint/menthol ones, that could be because i used to smoke 15-20 menthol cigs a day, plus if i went out drinking on that day/night that number could easily be 35-40.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ha, yeah vapors have a tendency to collect a few things on our vaping journey :)

I'm glad you prime your coils, I wasn't saying you didn't know what you're doing...I was just troubleshooting all possible ideas...the candy and current and coffee and soda vapes can give tank wicking bit of hell....the Atlantis coils are basically bigger beefier Nautilus coils. So since I even though I went the Kanger route for a Subtank mini, I still have to Nautilus's and if it fixes my little Nautilus BVC coils, the idea will usually translate over into the bigger Atlantis BVC coils....as for knowing if you have bad pack....there is only one way too tell...and that's trial and error. I wasn't speaking so much as to the question if they are authentic or not. That you can check online and know for sure. But as I have said before that these little coils are mass produced by the millions in a factory over in China and just by sheer volume the QC can be hit and miss. I hated my Nautilus when I first got them...I got two on sale for 40 bucks when they were still in the 30 plus range and I regretted buying them from day two. The original BDC (bottom dual coils) they made for them were horse shit. The first one I got tricked me into thinking was going to really like them and worked decient....that is till I turned it up higher than 4 volts (it was on an old provari v2...remember before we had variable wattage in the stone age days? :) ) so I popped another coil in, and it sucked from puff one...so I though maybe my juice was just too thick and sugary for the coils so I drained it, put a lighter juice in it and coil number three and started it out at three volts once i had it good and primed....and it vaped ok and so I started to turn the voltage up...and again it worked flavorwise but the vapor was too weak...and again as soon as I turned it up past four volts I instantly got the dry hit burned taste....I went threw like six or seven coils before I said to hell with them....I took one apart to rebuild and destroyed it, after a few more attempts I managed to get a single coil throw together but with it's marginal performance I said to hell with it and went back to using my homemade protank 2 coils with an airflow controller on it that gave me a much better vape (i figured out how to make dual coils for the protank 2 before the factory made one's came out in the protank 3 and aerotank series) and my trusty Kayfuns.

When the BVC heads came out and every one was raving about them online I decided to give the ole' Nautilus one more college try...and I was blown away by how night and day the difference was...my first BVC coil lasted a month! granted I didn't use it exclusively but it was one of my two all day vape's, my kayfun was other...I like to vape more than one flavor through out the day. My second BVC head lasted three weeks. I firmly believe the BVC head's saved Aspire because if the Atlantis came out with giant sized BDC coils I think it would have flopped IMHO :)

My point is, sometimes you just get bad heads. When Kanger came out with the redesigned dual coil heads for the Aerotank I bought a pack of the 1.2 heads and four out of five was garbage...again, I couldn't turn up the voltage high enough without getting dry hits and burned taste...I let a tank sit upright for two days just so the coil would soak up liquid and it was a 50/50 blend so there was no reason why it shouldn't feel...I got three hits at 10 watts before I got that nasty dry taste....after two days the thing should have been flooded. I finally poked holes and moved the wick around with a needle on the last one and got that one to work ok but once again I had to rebuild them to get any kind of decent vape....just like Aspire with the BVC heads...I firmly believe that if the Subtanks had the QC problems the Aerotanks had they wouldn't be nearly as raved about as they do...and it's all because of mass production....very rarely does anyone come on here and say "I just have a question...why is my clearomizer feeding so good and the flavor and vapor is so awesome?" :)

Vape The Snake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So all in all, it could be coils are just badly made as they are mass produced in china?

Ill try some more new coils, Im not technical enough to build my own, I suppose if i get bored one weekend I could give it a crack. I think ill buy some more new coils and I might have a shop around on my lunch to see if i can pick a different tank up, like a subtank or an Arctic which a lot of people on here rave about/

Cheers for the info though :)

Vape The Snake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also i'm going to buy some more liquids, I've been buying them from the same place but in the town i work, I can think of at least 6 e-cigarette shops, is there anything I should look out for and avoid when buying liquids, I know the low PG ones give me a bad throat, I think I'm just going to stick to mint/menthol liquids as I've not had any other flavour where i've gone 'wow thats great'

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, basically...and it's not even that they are bad on purpose, it's just a law of averages type thing....it goes both ways...like I said I got pack of Nautilus heads that were all junk and then I've gotten coils from them that lasted over a month for each one....it sucks cause the bigger the coil like the Atlantis ones cost more...on average you'll get good ones...try buying from a different shop if you can so they're from a different batch...that might help. That way you make sure you're not just buying a coil pack from the same batch....shouldn't make too much of a difference either way...just one last thought to try.

As far as liquids....if you can stand 70vg/30pg give it a try, but wait, now you're saying it's low PG gives you a bad throat? You mean VG right? One thing you can do is going and shop for Max VG liquids online....I know there are several good e-liquid all VG lines...a lot of them organic as well. The only one I can think of and know off the top of my head is http://www.avejuice.com/index.php because "Boba's Bounty" is one of only two tobacco juices I vape. They have a good menthol there I believe as well....check around the e-liquid section and see what people recommend as far as high VG juice goes.

I am pretty much a Nicoticket Fanboy....I DIY most of my juice or I buy it from them but their stuff is mostly 50/50 so that won't help you. "Boba's Bounty" is the one non Nicoticket liquid I keep on hand regularly but the rest is pretty much homebrew or one of those two.

Glad I could try and help at least :confused:

Vape The Snake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That was my bad I did mean the high PG ones give me a bad throad the high VG ones are fine. I forgot to mention I'm in the UK, that website is in dollars, and I don't like paying shipping costs. I never know which websites to trust online, I've just been looking at some and some places seem a bit too cheap to me, just been looking on blue star, £8.99 for 100ml of liquid, seems to cheap to me. The 50/50 liquids seem to be alright its the 20%/30% vg ones that give me the bad throat.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't know which vendors in the UK sell Nicoticket but I know it's over there...but hell...ok, you pay a couple a quid extra for shipping across the pond but your money's worth so much more than ours you'd think you'd still save if you made a decent enough order from the states...or are the prices lower in pounds so you'd be paying the same whether you bought it there or here?

Vape The Snake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Its not just shipping costs what can be the problem, it can also be customs, customs overhere just like any country can be a problem especially when it comes to nicotine, knowing my luck mine wouldnt get through customs and i would have to pay the duty on it, but i will look into how much their shipping costs etc, some I have seen have been as high as $60, which is roughly about £40 and for that, I can get 16 bottles of 15ml 90% juice, so sometimes it just doesn't seem value for money.

Vape The Snake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just had a quick look, at a 100ml bottle of that boba's bounty, the UK cost is £33.94, Shipping £22.61, the duty would be £25.91 which is optional to pay but if they have offered you the option to pay it, customs can see this as duty evasion and seize the items i believe. So in total if i just bought one bottle it would cost £82.45 for 100ml which is bit too pricey if you ask me.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, like I said...I know the hassle of it but every country is different. I just got done saying in another thread that when I lived in Switzerland I had a PO box in Germany because I wasn't far from the boarder and sometimes it was cheaper/easier to get it shipped there because it would have cost way more to get it shipped to swiss if they even shipped there at all...I wasn't sure what the duty was from US to UK....I figured that we played a little nicer than that given everything but I could easily be just as wrong...but I feel your pain on that...I'd just stick to what you can get juice wise in country....chances are if it's a big player nice Nicoticket, or AVE, or Suicide bunny or something considered "top shelf" that some store somewhere on the main island will have it :)

Vape The Snake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I bought a new coil from a different shop, It works great now, I did buy a Subtank mini, and I am preferring that now, I have also ordered a Arctic they're on offer for £18 so I thought i'd have a dabble

VU Sponsors