Become a Patron!

Aspire Nautilus - burnt taste

Jonnymac

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So I'm using the Aspire Nautilus with a 1.7ohm coil and the Tesla variable and sometimes if I up the wattage or if I've been vaping more than usual I get this really ugly taste of ¿burning wires?

Just looking to see if anyone else has come across this problem, whether it's worth trying a higher ohm coil or if it's a basic problem with my tank.

J

Last edited:

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
im not familiar with the nautilus yet but i have heard that it cant handle very high wattages in the old coils (along with most other tanks like these).. id recommend trying to find some of the new coils made for the mini, vertical builds..

Jonnymac

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's interesting. I found a few people with the same issue online but no-one with a solution. I'm definitely going to follow through and find a solution though. This was my first real purchase (after my first ego-c) and foray into vaping as a serious alternative to smoking and it converted me pretty much straight away.
Thanks for the reply.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i had the same experience when i got my protank mini 2 for my first ego.. was a no brainer at that point :cool:

robtest

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Higher ohm coil would probably give you a cooler hit at that wattage, and allow you to turn it up a little more... On my vivi nova's and iclear tanks, I have run ~2 ohm coils for years... I recently bought a naultilus and the mega/giant aerotanks... which are 1.7/1.8 out of the box... I have also been playing with the .8 subohm coil on the aerotanks... On a fresh battery, I have to be careful not to end up with that burnt taste, typically 3-4 second vapes until battery gets below half on my mechanical 26650... :D

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
The old nautilus heads blah lol. I can't wait till the BVC Heads come out :D

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just rebuilt the head and it is much better. Had the burnt taste more often than not. Which is not good especially for the price of them.

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
You mean you haven't pre-ordered any already ??? :p

I hate "pre-orders" lol. I'll just wait till they come out. My nautilus collects dust, I only use it if I don't feel like making a build. Which rarely happens cause I love rebuilding my atty's :D

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
You could just bump the wattage down a couple notches?

Jonnymac

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Update: I changed to a new 1.6 ohm head this morning. I'm keeping the voltage at 3.6 and wattage at 8. So far it's been 12 hours and it's a real joy to smoke. I've got to get some new heads anyway so i'll order them and test ramping up the power.

banjobird

Member For 4 Years
I'm not happy with the Nautilus either because of the burnt taste. They're going in the drawer until better heads become available.

robtest

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Update: I changed to a new 1.6 ohm head this morning. I'm keeping the voltage at 3.6 and wattage at 8. So far it's been 12 hours and it's a real joy to smoke. I've got to get some new heads anyway so i'll order them and test ramping up the power.

I am using 3.7v and 8watts on my SVD with naultilus tank (stock head 1.7ohm) and get a "sweetspot for me"... good vape taste and nice volume... Odd that .1ohm would make that big a difference... Wonder if the previous one was just old or maybe defective??? Or maybe juice difference? I am using a 50/50 3mg menthol blend...

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I am using 3.7v and 8watts on my SVD with naultilus tank (stock head 1.7ohm) and get a "sweetspot for me"... good vape taste and nice volume... Odd that .1ohm would make that big a difference... Wonder if the previous one was just old or maybe defective??? Or maybe juice difference? I am using a 50/50 3mg menthol blend...
On an SVD with a glass clearo (pt2, aspire, davide, etc) I get a sweet spot as well usually between 7 to 9 watts depending on the ohms of the atty head. I like to take long, steady puffs so if it slightly has a burnt taste i will turn it down one notch and try again, then repeat until i can take a long draw without no burnt taste at all. i lock the setting there until i replace the head.

Nu2Mods

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The Nautilus was the major atty (tank) that I used for a long time before progressing to mods and drippers. I found that the heads, whether 1.6 ohm or 1.8 ohms will have a sweet spot that will just vape and vape very well. However, .5 watt and more beyond the sweet spot will begin to deliver the burnt taste. Just as 5150 says above, just play with the wattage settings changing .5 at a time until you start tasting the burnt taste and back off 1 full watt. In my experiences, I have had sweet spots anywhere from 6 watts to the full 15 watts on a Vamo V5, though the norm is from 8 to 11. As the heads begin gumming up, the wattages will continue to drop to prevent the burnt taste. I'm sure rebuilds with lower ohm coils and open up the air holes slightly may allow regular 12 watts plus.

TygerTyger

Official Lurker
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just as Nu2Mods and 5150 mentioned, there seems to be a "Sweet spot" they operate best in..... experiment until you find it..... and it also helps a lot to break in a new head lower than you would typically choose to vape it...... ease the voltage/wattage up as it breaks in until it's really running and wicking well.

Nu2Mods

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just did this (9:20:13 PM CST)... I went ahead and got a new 1.6 ohm coil. I took a jewelers rat-tail file (round file) and widened the 4 air holes near the base of the coil head twisting the file point in just slightly...if I were to guess, 50% more opening than stock. I then took a pair of precision pointed tweezers and worked on closing the gaps on the top coil in the head (can't get to the bottom coil from the top). I reduced the wrap spacing by about 70%, but the spaces are not completely gone. I got everything back together and after a few minutes of vaping at 8 watts, I ramped it up 2 watts at a time and am currently at 20 minutes and 15 watts with NO burnt taste. I am on the widest air hole, drilled out to 2.5 mm sometime ago. Now I don't expect to stay at 15 watts for the duration of the heads life, but it should stay in the double-digits for some time. This ended up being a very quick modification to the head with noticeable results. Good clouds!

Jonnymac

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just did this (9:20:13 PM CST) This ended up being a very quick modification to the head with noticeable results. Good clouds!

Wow. You really put the elbow grease into your material, I'll take my hat off to you, sir.

Even with the coil resistance problem on higher power settings, I think the Aspire with a variable mod is ideal for the casual beginner like me. It's allowed me to learn about ohm's, volts and watts, play around with that and start getting interested into building my own. But once you get that burning taste... is definitely a turn-off.

BigGunn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only way I've ever been able to get a good vape with the Nautilus is to use a sewing needle to poke small holes in the filler material behind the juice holes. Not doing it = dry, burnt hits. Removing any of the filler at all led to flooding and a mouthful of juice. I seriously just can't stand the thing anymore. I'll stick to my carto tanks till I finally get into rebuilding.

Jonnymac

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
what v/w are you using?

BigGunn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1.8ohm coils. Highest wattage I've tried was 8, usually bump it down to 7.

GmaVapor

Member For 4 Years
I love my Nautilus, but I have only been able to get it to work really good with the 2.1 ohms from kindeypuncher; same goes with my coworker. I also read somewhere when putting in the coil to make sure that inside where the coil sits is very clean. I took the advise and it seems to help. I always make sure there is no juice in that little area and for whatever reason, it seems to make a difference. I just can't get the lower ohm aspire coils to work on the Nautilus consistently.

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use the 2.1 ohms coils and if I fill the 5mil tank up. After vapingabout 1/2 way through it it makes any juice taste like crud. I use this on a svd and vamo v5 on the lowest watt setting on each. Last time I used this I filled with butterscotch with a new coil 1/2 way into it tasted like "red bull" kinda, in a bad way.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I want my coils to vape at any wattage I choose, not by a manufacture's choice

GmaVapor

Member For 4 Years
big jake it's weird how we have so many different experiences with tanks. Have you tried the Kayfun? That might work better for you. I use mine a lot more than the Nautilus.

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually two months ago I gave up on tanks and only use drippers now. rock'n my igo w6 with steam juice atm. After using drippers I doubt I will go back to tanks of any kind. I have a kayfun 3.1 used it twice it was ok just a pain to refill without flooding.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually two months ago I gave up on tanks and only use drippers now. rock'n my igo w6 with steam juice atm. After using drippers I doubt I will go back to tanks of any kind. I have a kayfun 3.1 used it twice it was ok just a pain to refill without flooding.
I have a few kayfuns. I'd liken refilling them to the ignition on some cars. There's a trick to them. Some just refill no problem but some require that 'thing'. Hard to say what. I just know with 'that particular kayfun' I have to do it a certain way.

robtest

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I hate "pre-orders" lol. I'll just wait till they come out. My nautilus collects dust, I only use it if I don't feel like making a build. Which rarely happens cause I love rebuilding my atty's :D

Aspire Mini BVC coils are hitting the scene ...

Mine are on the way... :D

1truk

Member For 4 Years
The Nautilus was the major atty (tank) that I used for a long time before progressing to mods and drippers. I found that the heads, whether 1.6 ohm or 1.8 ohms will have a sweet spot that will just vape and vape very well. However, .5 watt and more beyond the sweet spot will begin to deliver the burnt taste. Just as 5150 says above, just play with the wattage settings changing .5 at a time until you start tasting the burnt taste and back off 1 full watt. In my experiences, I have had sweet spots anywhere from 6 watts to the full 15 watts on a Vamo V5, though the norm is from 8 to 11. As the heads begin gumming up, the wattages will continue to drop to prevent the burnt taste. I'm sure rebuilds with lower ohm coils and open up the air holes slightly may allow regular 12 watts plus.

I find this to be the case with just about all Bottom Coil devices and is why I generally stay away from them. I know they are well liked by many and I say Good On Ya to anyone who uses them and those who love them but for me I'd rather not have to deal with the burnt taste and heads that only last a few days to a week without having to rebuild or replace them. I am soooo looking forward to the new vertical head design I'm like a giddy schoolgirl. lol ...

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's what it is then for me. I'll try again tmrw at a lower wattage. I only used mine for two days and could take no more

robtest

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
7-10.5 W is the sweet point for Nautilus tank.

Higher Wattage will make burning taste.

Yeppers, my Sigelei 20w mod defaults back to 10 watts when I change the battery... Just on the edge of burnt tasting, so I turn it back down to 7-8w ...

My Kanger Aerotank Mega doesn't have this issue, but then again, it is running a 2ohm coil instead of a 1.8 ohm on my Naultilus... Maybe I will have to try a higher ohm coil on it...

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So I'm using the Aspire Nautilus with a 1.7ohm coil and the Tesla variable and sometimes if I up the wattage or if I've been vaping more than usual I get this really ugly taste of ¿burning wires?

Just looking to see if anyone else has come across this problem, whether it's worth trying a higher ohm coil or if it's a basic problem with my tank.

J
Are you adjusting the air flow on the Nautilus ? This is the key to that device I am using 1.7 ohm coils on my go to the store mod and I have it at 10watts and no burnt taste, Also, depending on the Juice you are using you may have to change the wattage/VV just as a test change the coil see if you still get the burnt taste if you do adjust airflow and Wattage/Voltage Juice... Now you can clean that coil you have in there I do not know how you are cleaning it so I will not make any suggestions but mine is working great and I am using 60/40 juice right now.. at 10 watts with airflow adjusted :)

Jonnymac

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If I leave it at 3.2 volts and don't go any higher than 7watts i don't get the burnt taste regardless of the air flow setting.

At a certain point in the battery life I hit a sweet spot and it's really quite enjoyable. I'm looking forward to the new coil heads so I can see how it works with the higher wattage.

GrayMatter

Member For 4 Years
I picked up a nautilus when it first came out. I wanted a tank to use while driving and didn't want to pay for a kayfun at the time. I was never really happy with it. I used 50/50 juice in it and never had good luck with it wicking right. After a couple puffs on it, I would have to cover the air hole to pull enough juice into it to keep from getting the burnt taste.

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hear quite a large number of people reporting issues with their Nautilus coils....my experiences must be the exception as I've never had a problem with the coils in any of my 3 tanks...after quite some time (couple weeks maybe) vaping on a particular coil, it might start hitting kind of tight, but I just wash the coil, dry burn it just a little, and I usually can get a bit more quality vape time from them...

Jonnymac

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I saw the Nautilus Mini Coils have come out, has anybody used them yet?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes - you can use the BVC coils in the regular Nautilus as well. They're very good! I usually only use RDAs, because the flavor is so much better, but these coils are excellent.

Jonnymac

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was thinking, if you rebuild a BVC it's gonna last forever..

The dreams we vape on! Thanks for sharing, I really like his videos and the close-ups are so clear, it's brilliant.

vapingunited

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've always had better luck rebuilding the traditional aspire bdc heads. The "stock" heads don't seem to keep up if your vaping a lot. I really dig the new BVC heads and they work in the larger nautilus as well, which is great.

Jonnymac

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
After seeing Riptripper's video I think that's going to be my next step. It seems to me to be a really logical segueway into rebuilding more advanced tanks: If I get frustrated by constant beginner screw ups I can have a stock head on hand to help me through it.

I've got to say the bvc mini heads for nautilus work wonders. Juice is delish and I'm on a Cana mod at 15 watts. Beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk been vaping since 6/2014

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Aspire Nautilus Mini burnt taste

Nautilus mini, 1.6 coil, MVP 2.0, suicide bunny 6mg mother's milk juice . Burnt taste like crazy. Have tried every wattage and voltage setting there is. I filled up the iClear 16b tank that came with the MVP, took a few hits and it's perfect. (The iClear tank coil reads 2.1ohms)

When I first bought the Nautilus Mini, it had a 1.6 coil installed, and it wasn't too bad. I replaced it with the 1.8 that came with the kit and Wow, massive burnt taste. Replaced that coil with a new Aspire 1.6, and same thing, burnt taste.. Don't know what to do other than toss the two Aspire minis in the trash.. Very upsetting,and a waste of money. Hard to get that nasty burnt taste out of my mouth.

I'm trying to kick a bad cigar habit and wanted two tanks. One with 18mg nic, and the other with 6mg.
Guess I'll just buy two iClear tanks and some spare coils since they seem to work.

I do have a plume veil clone on top of a caravela clone that I look forward to trying.

RBVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have personally found that the BVC coils take longer to soak/wick thank the bdc. I vape mothers milk @12mg and it works great. However I fill the tank (when changing coils) take several non powered draws on it. Then I sit it upright for about 30 min, do a couple more unpowered draws and then start at 3.7v and work my way up from there. The good news is that I've found that even if I get a burnt hit, I can get it working again without a nasty taste.

My most recent coil I treated like a carto and dripped it first before installing. That worked great from the start but I had to blow it out to clear a bit of flooding.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll try dripping it, but it's been sitting for 3 or 4 hours and is still tasting burnt. Doesnt seem to matter what voltage. Sent an email to Aspire-usa asking for sugestions. Will post here if i get a reply.

RBVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It could just be a bad coil too. I did have (thankfully only one) that just had a nasty burnt chemical taste that wouldn't go away so I tossed it, swapped for another an that worked out for me. If you do swap though make sure to do a bunch of non-powered hits with the Nautilus set to the smallest hole to draw in the juice. Good luck!

Bold Vapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Aspire Nautilus Mini burnt taste

Don't know what to do other than toss the two Aspire minis in the trash...
I'll take those Mini's (if they are genuine :)

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got a reply back from Aspire. Here is his response:

A few things can cause that to happen. Frequency of vaping can cause it without allowing the coil enough time to re-wick itself. When first using a Nautilus coil it is also important to begin at 7.0V setting for about a half hour to prime the coil.
I would suggest going to aspirecig.com and check their forums to see if any one else has any ideas on the problem you are experiencing.

Best Regards,
Roy

Well, the MVP 2.0 only goes up to 5 volts, so 7 is out of the question. The coils themselves are printed with a voltage rating of 3.3 to 6, so I'm not sure what Roy says makes any sense.

I replaced with a 3rd new coil, did what RBVapes suggested, and drew on it a few times to wick up the juice (with no power). Let it sit for 30 minutes or so. Although not as bad, there is still a burnt taste to it.

VU Sponsors