Become a Patron!

Aspire Nautilus - burnt taste

D

Donald Bickers

if you put a new coil in and just saturate it until its running out and then start at 3 volts it still taste burnt??

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Aspire Nautilus Mini burnt taste

Nautilus mini, 1.6 coil, MVP 2.0, suicide bunny 6mg mother's milk juice . Burnt taste like crazy. Have tried every wattage and voltage setting there is. I filled up the iClear 16b tank that came with the MVP, took a few hits and it's perfect. (The iClear tank coil reads 2.1ohms)

When I first bought the Nautilus Mini, it had a 1.6 coil installed, and it wasn't too bad. I replaced it with the 1.8 that came with the kit and Wow, massive burnt taste. Replaced that coil with a new Aspire 1.6, and same thing, burnt taste.. Don't know what to do other than toss the two Aspire minis in the trash...

Unless the insulator is burned, you can clean the heads & get the burned taste out. First burn (by pulsing on lower power) the old juice out - the burning taste/smell is burning juice). An alternate: You can also boil them to remove old juice. Blow the excess water from them. Then soak them in Vodka (or pure grain alcohol) overnight. Pull them out & dry them (if you leave them wet, to naturally dry, sometimes they will rust). You can use a hair dryer, (I have a device that I just hang them over the vents of my fan or air conditioner). Once they are thoroughly dry, they should be ready to go again. Start with a low power & increase until you find your sweet spot. Once the juice is burned on the coil, the flavor is not going to go away until it's been cleaned out.

Byter

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the write up guys. I experienced the same burnt taste and went through a few 1.6 ohm coils wondering if I had a bad batch. They would work fine at first but then the burn would set in. I'm breaking in an IPV mini and was beginning to think the thing was faulty. I also have new Vista Vapors juice 50/50 so that could be part of it too. Running at 10W / 4V right now without a problem on grain cleaned coils and Nautilus base and will see if it lasts. I have found the base gets gunky and needs a clean about one a week or two or you get the burn. Airflow gets tight and I guess juice flow too.

The strange thing is I was running 4.5V on my Wraith (like a lava tube I hear) and was having no problems. I can't figure out why Wraith can work at higher voltage. Maybe there is a step down in the Wraith? Voltage reads steady but maybe watts max out? Seems it should work the same on Wraith and IPV at same volts but it doesn't work that way. Anyone have insight as to why?

Byter

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I found my own answer. I checked the coil and it was horizontal in Newbie speak. Local vape shop gave me old style vs BVC. I could only run the old style at 8.5w / 3.7v max. After I discovered this I searched my emergency supply / repair kit and found a BVC. Now I'm at 11.7w / 4.3v. Flavor is back too. That's good enough for now. I'm traveling and don't want to risk burning my only decent coil on the road. Moral is be very careful what you buy. I'll save the old style for MyFreedomSmokes cinnamon candy juice. I can't vape that stuff over 9w anyway but I love it all the same. Talk about a throat hit!

So I'm using the Aspire Nautilus with a 1.7ohm coil and the Tesla variable and sometimes if I up the wattage or if I've been vaping more than usual I get this really ugly taste of ¿burning wires?

Just looking to see if anyone else has come across this problem, whether it's worth trying a higher ohm coil or if it's a basic problem with my tank.

J
running 1.6 ohm coil on mine 3.6v 7ohm. I mix my own vg juice and vape about 8-10ml before it starts to burn. to fix it I rinse the coil and the inside of the base, dry burn to clean coil, then pinch the electrode pin to block the two holes in it then blow thru the top to clear juice hole . reassemble and it vapes like new again. there was gunk in the bottom of base before i rinsed which leads me to believe the gunk is plugging juice holes. I am going to try slightly enlarging juice holes 1 at a time to see what kind of difference it makes.

Last edited:

Dingo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know I am new late to the party but I wanted to share my experience on Nautilus burnt coils. I have 2 Nautilus and a Subtank. I average 4 to 5ml a day so you get an idea of the usage. I just opened my 19th coil since the first part of January when I received my first tank. The first coil lasted 2 weeks so I ordered another one that had the free 2 coils and bought a pack of 5. Long story short I read on one of the forums a guy used a needle to poke small holes in the ceramic "membrane" to get better flow for his thicker VG juice. Since I was burning so many coils somewhere around the 11th coil I decided to start checking my coils with a needle. The problem with the tanks are the coils themselves sit in a basket that is pressure fitted into the outer casing. The "baskets" are being pushed in incorrectly and blocking off all of the holes instead of 2 of the holes. The basket is shaped to allow 2 to bring in liquid through a capillary action and then 2 that are fully exposed to the so called cotton. I have 7 coils that are this way and I imagined that I would have had more if I didn't make a jig to separate the 2. The 7 are completely unused. I had one good coil out of a pack that went in one tank and went through the rest of the pack into another pack to finds one for the separate tank. I made Aspire aware of this as well as the person I bought them from My Freedom Smokes and nothing has been done. That wont return an email or call. I have read that there is a new nautilus coil making its way into the stores on the down low so to speak with much larger holes close to the aspire. That way it doesn't matter how the basket is pushed in. There will still be enough visible to the slits in the basket ( imagine a larger kanger coil cup). to bring in juice.

I am new to this board and forums in general. If anyone wants more info on how I have figured out to rebuild these with actual cotton and the jig I use instead of pliers and/or drill bits. Please let me know. I will be glad to help anyone I can. I imagine I am not the only one that loves vaping a nautilus with the right coil but don't have money to throw away on packs of bad coils.

To go with the rebuilding thing. I bought a coil jig that is basically a rod stepped off to different mm sizes. If you have some old Kanger protanks and especially aerotanks. Build a coil I think either 2mm or 2.5mm (sorry car accident has my head messed up. bad memory issues) but build it to go in the kanger vertically like a nautilus. to get an idea of how big the coil needs to be I used the top part of the coil where the slit is. With Japanese cotton and 28 gauge kanthal, you will blow clouds close of not better than the nautilus. I can run my at 20 watts as long as I'm pulling on it pretty good

Sorry for the rambling, just wanted to spread what I have learned
Randy

Dingo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I will ....thanks. I'll save that page to go back to it. I am still trying to figure this out. For instance I would like to have one of the quit smoking banners people have. Google couldn't help me either on the banner thing

Dingo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think I figured it out

Byter

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to Vaping Underground. Try one of these threads for your coil questions. http://www.vapingunderground.com/forums/coils.44/

Just click on someone's banner you like and it will take you to a page where you can set up the calculator and code. Then click your name at the top right of a VU forum page to access your account details menu. Click signature and add the code you just made at the calc site. When you see a post on coils you like, be sure to click the like item in the bottom right of the message. This will give the author a bump in status.

Dingo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can already tell I have found some good people to learn from and maybe teach a little in the process. Its exactly who I strive to be. If someone has something of value to pass on, I try to listen and I have always enjoyed passing my knowledge on to others who appreciate it. Since being disabled from lets say a car wreck and loosing a lot of my life in the process, It means a lot. I just got my first RDA in and have a decent background in electronics with a lot of time on my hands. I cant wait to see what people and add to it if I can. I will add this...Because of the wreck and amount of pain, Moderators please take it easy on me of I post in the wrong area or do something wrong. I have some frontal lobe damage in the brain as well so memory isn't the best. There are days I cant even build because of brain and fingers are listening to each other. Not looking for sympathy, I know where its at in Websters between S*!t and syphilis. Just putting it out there to my new family.

VU Sponsors