Become a Patron!

At the end of my vaping rope!

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
So I've been vaping for probably about 3 years now and direct lung sub ohming for about 2 and I've had a recurring issue (more often than not) of coils only lasting 1-3 days before they're tasting burnt. I started out on an aspire atlantis 2 and after a few months is when the problem began. I've also tried the triton, cleito, cleito 120, the 120 Rta and the new Athos. After I started going through the Athos coils in a day or less I got pissed and decided to try a different brand so I picked up the tfv12 thinking if that can't work for me nothing will. But, same deal with the tfv12 and I'm not even taking it over 100 watts. I always give my coil 20-30 seconds at least between puffs. I've tried 50/50, max vg and everything in between. I do vape sweet flavors but coil gunk doesn't seem to be the problem. I've seen what coil gunk looks like and this isn't that. I've tried taking long hard draws, I've tried short hard draws, long casual draws and short casual draws. I've tried letting the coil ramp up before inhaling. I've read every article I can find about burning coils. I've tried different mods (currently using the Smok gx350). Basically, I've run out of ideas and I've become extremely frustrated because others I know don't have any problems with coils but don't seem to have a solution for what I'm doing wrong. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make sure I covered everything.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Don't wanna sound like an ass InSainn cause you've been vaping for ages out of interest how do you go about priming your coils for the Sub Ohm tanks? do you ever pin the cotton for instance? How do you go about breaking them in?

Got the Athos tank at the moment the A3 coil is going on 2 weeks for me (the A5 lasted about that long as well) the Smok coils do last longer

Also what type of juice do you run this makes a massive difference to coil life

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
I prime them pretty good I think. On the tfv12 coils and the Athos coils as an example, I go around the top of all the cotton juicing it up, then I put a few drops inside each coil, then go around the outside and saturate the wicking holes. Take about 10 dry pulls without firing to to pull the juice in. Let it sit 10 minutes or longer (have even tried overnight). Then I start breaking it in with short fires about 20 watts below the minimum coil range and work my way up to the minimum. Usually stay at the minimum for the first day (which is sometimes the only day). Right now I'm vaping a broken in tfv12 coil that's starting to burn and I haven't even gone over 90 with it.

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
Oh, as for juice, like I said, I've tried all different blends from 50/50 to max vg and everything in between. Mostly sweet flavors which I know is gonna shorten coil life but I wouldn't think it would shorten this much. And I get my juice from vape wild. I know that's not a premium juice but with as many happy customers as they have I can't imagine they're all experiencing what I am.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Have you ever tried going around the coil wicking and putting pin holes in them? I always pin my big coils to help with wicking 2 or 3 in each one (top middle and bottom of the slot)

Another thing I try is when my coils starts heading towards getting that hint of off taste i prime up a new one (pin cotton when dry) then wrap in cling film until I need to replace it gets everything nice and juiced up ready to go

Sounds like everything else your doing is good mate I do the same except when I start low I wait for bubbles then increase wattage in 10w increments up to target wattage I want to get to

I know a guy who spanks through coils in no time as well @Paratech have you got any tips mate other than what I said?

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
I've tried the pinholes before, though not as many as you suggest, and didn't have much of a difference. I'll try it out again and see if it helps.

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
Could this be affected by the mod? I have noticed that my gx350 hasn't been reading the ohms anywhere near what they should be (reading the .15 coil between .2 and .4). I just put it on my old rx200 and it read it as .16. Even if so it's only part of the problem as I've had burning coil issues on the rx200 too, just never this bad.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
hmm that is kind of a big swing between mods reading it correctly.
Might be a pin/connection issue.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Ok yes that will make a difference ... keep it off the Smok if its jumping about resistence should be stable especially with kanthal coils in both the Athos and Smok pre mades ...is the coil in tight? If you push the pin at the bottom of the atty when the coil is in does it move? Is it sitting proud of the threads after you checked this?

Also have you ever tried just running it on the RX right from the start?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
if the mod is reading the ohms worng that could be an issue

but since no one has suggested this
switch to an rta
buy premade coils
or make your own
then when it tastes burnt
take out the wicks
dry burn the coil
rinse under water
and rewick
takes about 5 minutes and costs you pennies each time you rewick

i run 6 rtas
i rewick them between every 2 -4 weeks
1 have to make new coils like every 2-3 months cuz I eventually screw one up when rewicking

for what I spend on wire and cotton in a year
youcould buy maybe 3 or 4 premade coils for your tanks

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
Ok yes that will make a difference ... keep it off the Smok if its jumping about resistence should be stable especially with kanthal coils in both the Athos and Smok pre mades ...is the coil in tight? If you push the pin at the bottom of the atty when the coil is in does it move? Is it sitting proud of the threads after you checked this?

Also have you ever tried just running it on the RX right from the start?
I know the coil was tight in the Smok. I have a bad habit of sometimes over tightening so I have to be careful but I know it wasn't loose and as far as I can tell the pin isn't moving. It's not fluctuating that much, it's mostly staying around .2 and .23 but I have seen it jump to .4 a couple times when I first put the tank on the mod. It is reading higher resistance all the time though.

I'm trying the Smok tank on the rx with a fresh coil right now so we'll see. Before I got the gx350 I always ran my cleito and 120 on the rx and still had issues, but then it was more like 3-4 days rather than daily as it has been lately.

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
if the mod is reading the ohms worng that could be an issue

but since no one has suggested this
switch to an rta
buy premade coils
or make your own
then when it tastes burnt
take out the wicks
dry burn the coil
rinse under water
and rewick
takes about 5 minutes and costs you pennies each time you rewick

i run 6 rtas
i rewick them between every 2 -4 weeks
1 have to make new coils like every 2-3 months cuz I eventually screw one up when rewicking

for what I spend on wire and cotton in a year
youcould buy maybe 3 or 4 premade coils for your tanks
I have 2 rta decks for my cleito 120 but after leaking and dry hits I kind of gave up on it but I may end up revisiting that possible solution. Although I do love this tfv12 when it is working and I've heard the rta deck for it is difficult.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I have 2 rta decks for my cleito 120 but after leaking and dry hits I kind of gave up on it but I may end up revisiting that possible solution. Although I do love this tfv12 when it is working and I've heard the rta deck for it is difficult.

no no no no
you need a true rta not a tank with an rba deck
its a totally different world imho

like a griffin or seprent or kylin or limitless
there is a difference

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
no no no no

like a griffin or seprent or kylin or limitless
there is a difference
Didn't realize there was that much of a difference. I may end up going that route eventually but after just spending so much on these tanks I'd like to get some of my money's worth out of em.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First I'll state I have NOT read everything posted YET.
With that said:
1. Super sweet juice burns up coils because it caramelizes.
2. High flavor percentages burns up coils because it causes gunk to build on them.
3. Bakery types of juice burns up coils.
4. Dairy types of juice burns up coils.
How do I know this?
I vape about 45ml per day of 30% flavor, 2% VG based NIC, and topped off with VG.

I am not saying any particular juice is BAD, just saying you need to know what to expect when you choose your juice.
Me, I LOVE my ADV so I don't care how fast it burns up my coils as long as it produces that amazing flavor.

If your mod is reading incorrect resistance, your coils will NOT heat properly.
If you have 0.15Ω, you set the wattage, then the mod starts reading it @ 0.25Ω, you're burning your coil.
If you have 0.15Ω, you set the wattage, then the mod starts reading it @ 0.09Ω, you're not getting enough power to your coil.
First, clean the 510 on the tank and the mod.
Second ensure the coil/s tight.
If it is still reading incorrectly, either the coil, the tank, or the mod are bad.

TFV4, TFV8, and TFV12 coils last me 3 days TOP with the exception of the 0.3Ω CLP2 coil for the TFV4 Micro.
THAT coil lasts me 2 weeks for some reason with GREAT flavor.
I have a couple tanks (lol) and it is the same thing for every one.
That is why I switched to RDTA/RTA.
Much friendlier price for coils.

Now I'll go read the rest of the thread.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I second this but also bring another angle to things. Ditch tanks and go on to RDA. If you don't want to continually carry around a dripping bottle, look into squonking. I have coils that can last three to six months, that's if I kept myself from rebuilding all the time as a matter of a hobby. :) Then, all you need to do is remove a wick, dry burn, tweak the coils a little and replace fresh wick, squonk a little and get your wick saturated ... off you go. I've been enjoying the Dark Side now for around two to three months. It is a completely different world from Evod style tanks, and tanks altogether. I like it a good bit. :)

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
My biggest issue with rebuildables is time. I work 2 jobs and have a family and all that.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My biggest issue with rebuildables is time. I work 2 jobs and have a family and all that.

I'm like you. I would go through factory coils in 3 days or less. I'd tried many different tanks from many different manufactures. I made every excuse in the world not to go to rebuldables. Time, kids, family, work, blah blah blah. I even went back to smoking out of frustration.

About six months ago I made the leap to an RDA and it changed my vaping life. As with all gear, it took me a few to find ones that worked for how I vape. I now have two RDA's that are in my regular rotation. The RDA's mainly get used at home and for on the go I've picked up a Serpent SMM RTA. It's a single coil RTA and very forgiving of new builders. IT takes a bit of practice to get the wicking right, but not that difficult.

Sorry for getting long winded. I'm lazy. Damn lazy and I spend about 30 minutes once a week rewicking both RDA's and the RTA. I use pre wound coils as I choose not to take the time to build my own coils. It only takes a few minutes to install the coils in the atomizers.

Don't give in to the devil on your other shoulder. Factory made coils my seem like the quick and easy way, but as you and I have discovered sometimes that take more of that time in frustration. Find your vaping stride.

Good luck.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I get pre built coils from AVS. There are good coils out there in various types of wire, wraps, and id size. Rewicking takes literally a minute once you have it down pat. I rewick at work regularly. Rta/rda way to go forward IMO. That being said, I do keep stock coil dependant tank around for lazy days.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years

ok seriously its not that time consuming
FIGURING OUT what type of coil you like is time consuming
but actually using rtas or rdas is not
First off
you can just buy premade coils
people actually custom make coils for you
this is a bit pricey BUT the coils can last for months as someone stated unless you fuck them up
figure $10-$20 a pair depending on the type of coil
thats THE MOST that way will cost you
And it might be the least time consuming
Because if you contact someoen here like @raymo2u He is not going to just give you any old thing
hes gonna check with you for your stlye and what the rta/rda is. He has experience with alot of tanks and rda so he has a good idea of what works for people. SO he will guide you into buying the right stuff from the get go
and whatever you get from him may not be YOUR PERFECT VAPE, but it will probably be better then most stuff you have used
reaymo2u isnt in this for the money he is a hobbyist builder(he builds coils CONSTANTLY) and a person who wants to help out his fellow vapers. SO while yes he will sell you coils and make a profit he is going to sell you something good

So that may be the least time consuming easiest way to start with coils
and just talking to ray will give you an education on how different coils behave

Another opyion is chinese companies are selling all kinds of coil assortment pack for the cheap. they are an excellent way to have a bunch of coils and try out different style sto find out what you do or do not like and get a mega shit ton of coils cheap

Then there is my way
I know I like stainless steel wire
i know i prefer the flavor of a basic clapton
i know what the resistance range is for my goto build

I buty a spool of wire that is already clapton wire. so I dont have to spend time doing that
I then just use a coil jig and wrap the coils
I spend maybe 20 minutes at MAX building 2 coils installing and wicking on any of my gear

But when the flavor is off
I can pull the wick, dry burn, rewick and be vaping again in 5 minutes
some people do rewick like everyday, every 2 days, once a week, once a month once every 2 months
that all depends on how you vape and your juice
I have 3 rtas i rewick about every 2 weeks and 3 i rewick every 4-8 weeks

I have to replace the coils in a rta maybe 4 or 5 times a year, and its because i fuck them up, not because they are not good any more

so if you go with working with someone like raymo2u and getting a couple sets of coils from him and learning something
you will spend a few days or weeks just talking back and forth. once you get the coils
you will spend 10 minutes maybe 20 getting the coils in and wicked
the first thing to do is decide on if you want to try that
find the rta you want - i highly recommend griffins
but everyone has their favorites
decide how you are going to get your coils
and go
I literally spend maybe $50 a year on coils and wicks - which includes me trying something new once in a blue moon and me fucking shit up constantly
and if you go with having someone premake your coils then the only tool that i think would be super handy for installing and adjusting is a set of ceramic tipped tweezers which can cost from $3-10
if your going to just wrap coils or make simple coils then you also need wire cutters and coil rods - another $10-20 investment

I used crown tanks and maganus tanks for over a year. After getting frustrated with coils not lasting long or burning out in a few days
i tried using the rba section to my kanger subtank
that was horrible for me and I almost gave up on the idea of making my own coils
then i picked up a crius rta on black friday special
tried a few things and guess what? It worked good enough.
did some research got a better vape off that crius then my crown and maganus or anything else I used ever.
Then I got a griffin 22 and started using the preade clapton wire in SS from advancedevapesupply.com and havent looked back. my crown and maganus and kanger suntanks just sit in a drawer for emergency use with some brand new coils with them

It seems time consuming and Ill be honest the first few tries and the initial learning curve can be time consuming. BUt once you get the hang of it its all down hill and it becomes a super easy thing to do that takes minutes

A few weeks ago all my rtas were driving me nuts for some reason
i replaced the coils and wicks in 6 rtas in 2 hours. Now that seems like a lot of time but thats 20 minutes an RTA and i think i have rewicked one of them since
so for at least 2 weeks of vaping without doing shit plus I know for teh next 2 weeks i may rewick 1 or 2
so even if that is all i get out of them
2 hours plus 3 rewicks at 5mins a piece
2hours 15mins of work for 30days of vaping pleasure at a cost of maybe $5

versus how much time do you waste trying to get that premade coil to work for you, changing it out with another coil switching mods etc etc etc and it costing you more money
when you factor it all in
the rta/rda route is less time consuming and frustrating and cheaper in the LONG RUN

iVapeDIY

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
coils only lasting 1-3 days before they're tasting burnt
I like coil-gunking flavors, so I change my coils and wick every other day, sometimes daily. Aside from better flavor, frequent coil changes avoid build-up of acrolein and aldehypes in the gunk ... which are health hazards.

I've tasted Claptons, Fused Claptons and Aliens; while they create more vapor and generate more flavor (and burn e-Juice faster), plain Kanthal A1 (spaced) round wires approximate the vapor and flavor (about 85%) for me ... the '15%' difference, is not practical ... so ... during weekends I cut and wind batches of 10 to 12 coils ... when I need a coil change, they are ready. Each coil costs me about $0.02 each.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I am going to do a combination of both.
I enjoy building coils, however my "two little helpers" make this difficult although I have done some. So I build the simple coils, twisted coils is about as fancy as I get. Then I am going to have to buy the roll of clampton and pre made more complex coils.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Guess what: I have a day job and a company to run on the side, and a family also. Yet I find 10 minutes to redo a build every once in a while. Figuring it all out takes some time the first time out, then it's always the same thing and it becomes second nature. It probably takes you more time to take your morning dump...

Seriously, do you watch tv? If you do, you can't complain about lack of time to have a proper vape. Also, I should add that it probably took you time to pop to the 7-11 and get a pack of smoke every day, and you probably didn't complain about the time that took you neither.

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
Ok, I have a lot of posts to catch up on here. First off though, been running the tfv12 on my rx200 all day and after almost 24 hours there's a slight improvement. I still can't take it anywhere near the upper end of the recommended wattage without it burning the cotton though. So maybe the gx350 was part of my problem but definitely not all of it.

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
I second this but also bring another angle to things. Ditch tanks and go on to RDA. If you don't want to continually carry around a dripping bottle, look into squonking. I have coils that can last three to six months, that's if I kept myself from rebuilding all the time as a matter of a hobby. :) Then, all you need to do is remove a wick, dry burn, tweak the coils a little and replace fresh wick, squonk a little and get your wick saturated ... off you go. I've been enjoying the Dark Side now for around two to three months. It is a completely different world from Evod style tanks, and tanks altogether. I like it a good bit. :)
The issue I have with a dipper is how often do you have to apply more liquid? Is a squonker much better? I'm on the go ALOT so I need something with a decent tank to it because you can't drip and drive lol.

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
ok seriously its not that time consuming
FIGURING OUT what type of coil you like is time consuming
but actually using rtas or rdas is not
First off
you can just buy premade coils
people actually custom make coils for you
this is a bit pricey BUT the coils can last for months as someone stated unless you fuck them up
figure $10-$20 a pair depending on the type of coil
thats THE MOST that way will cost you
And it might be the least time consuming
Because if you contact someoen here like @raymo2u He is not going to just give you any old thing
hes gonna check with you for your stlye and what the rta/rda is. He has experience with alot of tanks and rda so he has a good idea of what works for people. SO he will guide you into buying the right stuff from the get go
and whatever you get from him may not be YOUR PERFECT VAPE, but it will probably be better then most stuff you have used
reaymo2u isnt in this for the money he is a hobbyist builder(he builds coils CONSTANTLY) and a person who wants to help out his fellow vapers. SO while yes he will sell you coils and make a profit he is going to sell you something good

So that may be the least time consuming easiest way to start with coils
and just talking to ray will give you an education on how different coils behave

Another opyion is chinese companies are selling all kinds of coil assortment pack for the cheap. they are an excellent way to have a bunch of coils and try out different style sto find out what you do or do not like and get a mega shit ton of coils cheap

Then there is my way
I know I like stainless steel wire
i know i prefer the flavor of a basic clapton
i know what the resistance range is for my goto build

I buty a spool of wire that is already clapton wire. so I dont have to spend time doing that
I then just use a coil jig and wrap the coils
I spend maybe 20 minutes at MAX building 2 coils installing and wicking on any of my gear

But when the flavor is off
I can pull the wick, dry burn, rewick and be vaping again in 5 minutes
some people do rewick like everyday, every 2 days, once a week, once a month once every 2 months
that all depends on how you vape and your juice
I have 3 rtas i rewick about every 2 weeks and 3 i rewick every 4-8 weeks

I have to replace the coils in a rta maybe 4 or 5 times a year, and its because i fuck them up, not because they are not good any more

so if you go with working with someone like raymo2u and getting a couple sets of coils from him and learning something
you will spend a few days or weeks just talking back and forth. once you get the coils
you will spend 10 minutes maybe 20 getting the coils in and wicked
the first thing to do is decide on if you want to try that
find the rta you want - i highly recommend griffins
but everyone has their favorites
decide how you are going to get your coils
and go
I literally spend maybe $50 a year on coils and wicks - which includes me trying something new once in a blue moon and me fucking shit up constantly
and if you go with having someone premake your coils then the only tool that i think would be super handy for installing and adjusting is a set of ceramic tipped tweezers which can cost from $3-10
if your going to just wrap coils or make simple coils then you also need wire cutters and coil rods - another $10-20 investment

I used crown tanks and maganus tanks for over a year. After getting frustrated with coils not lasting long or burning out in a few days
i tried using the rba section to my kanger subtank
that was horrible for me and I almost gave up on the idea of making my own coils
then i picked up a crius rta on black friday special
tried a few things and guess what? It worked good enough.
did some research got a better vape off that crius then my crown and maganus or anything else I used ever.
Then I got a griffin 22 and started using the preade clapton wire in SS from advancedevapesupply.com and havent looked back. my crown and maganus and kanger suntanks just sit in a drawer for emergency use with some brand new coils with them

It seems time consuming and Ill be honest the first few tries and the initial learning curve can be time consuming. BUt once you get the hang of it its all down hill and it becomes a super easy thing to do that takes minutes

A few weeks ago all my rtas were driving me nuts for some reason
i replaced the coils and wicks in 6 rtas in 2 hours. Now that seems like a lot of time but thats 20 minutes an RTA and i think i have rewicked one of them since
so for at least 2 weeks of vaping without doing shit plus I know for teh next 2 weeks i may rewick 1 or 2
so even if that is all i get out of them
2 hours plus 3 rewicks at 5mins a piece
2hours 15mins of work for 30days of vaping pleasure at a cost of maybe $5

versus how much time do you waste trying to get that premade coil to work for you, changing it out with another coil switching mods etc etc etc and it costing you more money
when you factor it all in
the rta/rda route is less time consuming and frustrating and cheaper in the LONG RUN
Thanks for taking the time to explain all that. Like I said, I have the rta for my 120 and I think I'm like you were with your kanger. I got frustrated with it and didn't think it was gonna work for me. As far as coils. The best set I got were off kidneypuncher.com and I was looking at possibly getting a pair of staggerton coils from there before giving up on building on the 120. Do you think that would be a good start if I picked up a dedicated rta? I'm not picky about wire as long as it's kanthal or stainless steel. Not a fan of temp control though so I stay away from the nickel and titanium. I was looking at some rtas last night and saw one of the ones you listed came with a 6ml tank (like I said in previous post, need something driving friendly) so I may give that a go. Now the only issue is, I just bought two new tanks, my wife sees me carrying around a third new one I might be looking for a new place to stay lol.

Edit: just went back and looked and the rta I'm considering is the vandy vape kylin

Last edited:

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
do more research on the kylin. many people have been complaining about leaking issues on that
Yeah premade coils form kidney puncher are a good place to start
I personally use the original 22m Griffin RTA - use 3 all day long and a 25mm mini griffin (dont recommend it as a first rta) and 2 limitless plus (also dont recommend for first rta, takes some practice wicking so it dont leak)
The griffin 25 (not the mini 25) is an excellent rta as well

cotton is cheap on amazon as well
you can get a huge pack of muji cotton for like $10 bucks and that last me 18 months or so

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
do more research on the kylin. many people have been complaining about leaking issues on that
Yeah premade coils form kidney puncher are a good place to start
I personally use the original 22m Griffin RTA - use 3 all day long and a 25mm mini griffin (dont recommend it as a first rta) and 2 limitless plus (also dont recommend for first rta, takes some practice wicking so it dont leak)
The griffin 25 (not the mini 25) is an excellent rta as well

cotton is cheap on amazon as well
you can get a huge pack of muji cotton for like $10 bucks and that last me 18 months or so
I've got a ton of cotton already. It's just generic Japanese organic I got on vape wilds site but from what I read in the past the cotton isn't that critical as long as it's organic. Am I correct on that or no? How big are the tanks on the griffin? Like I said, capacity is pretty important for me. Need something that holds at least 4 ml but preferably more like 6.

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
Nevermind, just looked it up and the 25 has 6 ml capacity. The 22 only has 3.5 so that probably wouldn't work for me. The 25 definitely though. Does it come in black too? Cause the site I looked at only had the 25 in SS.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
yes it does.
but there are other options besides griffins. I just know they work for me

Do a little research
dont buy it just because I said it was good.

Whatever you get
i would recommend one with a velocity post deck like the griffins have. It makes it easier to install coils for beginners

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
oh and on the mod thats not working well
take a qtip
dip it peroxide or iso alcho and clean the 510 connection
there may be dirt in there causing the bad ohm readins

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
oh and on the mod thats not working well
take a qtip
dip it peroxide or iso alcho and clean the 510 connection
there may be dirt in there causing the bad ohm readins
Thanks, I planned on it if I ever get home today lol.

I'll do some research, wanna make sure I get this right, sick of spending money trying to find the right set up. I'm not one of those vapers who needs a different setup for each day of the week. I just want one good one I can rely on, hopefully for years.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
good luck on that!
Ive been trying to do the same.
Keep trying this and that hoping to find the PERFECT thing. I may find it one day. Just not today
Im happy with what I have
everything has its quirks and I can live with those quirks for now

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
For everything vaping has on smoking, smoking still has the convenience factor. Probably the only thing it has though.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Take a look at OBS Engine. 5ml, velocity deck, top air flow (no leaking). Learning to wick pretty straightforward. I prefer Engine Nano, single coil version. Have both and enjoy them. I admit there are better flavor dual coil rta's than dual Engine. Reload getting some stellar reviews as well. Check out rta threads. Lot of info and opinions there.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The issue I have with a dipper is how often do you have to apply more liquid? Is a squonker much better? I'm on the go ALOT so I need something with a decent tank to it because you can't drip and drive lol.

Well I squonk anywhere between every six to ten hits or so. That puts juice up into the RDA for the wick to draw up. I been using Muji organic cotton of late for wick, prior to that I was using rayon. I am preferring the cotton since trying it. My CopperVape mechanical mod uses a 10 ml bottle, with that though is the fact of the bottle being in the mod itself. I use roughly 9.5 ml to allow for tube displacement. That amount of juice gets me through 3-4 days but I'm a moderate vaper, probably light weight by many folks, I use about 4 ml a day on average.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i would recommend one with a velocity post deck like the griffins have. It makes it easier to install coils for beginners

Agree with you on that. Those were my firsts, Velocity V2 clones. I now like the Goons a good bit, or ChiNaRDAs, or the stock rda what come with the CV kit. :)

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
Take a look at OBS Engine. 5ml, velocity deck, top air flow (no leaking). Learning to wick pretty straightforward. I prefer Engine Nano, single coil version. Have both and enjoy them. I admit there are better flavor dual coil rta's than dual Engine. Reload getting some stellar reviews as well. Check out rta threads. Lot of info and opinions there.
Thanks, I'll check all that out too

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like a cop out.

*nodding* Squonking makes dripping highly convenient. It doesn't need to be a CopperVape mod. I have two Reo Grand clones & they have 6 ml bottles in them. Building coils is not difficult to learn either. If you need help with some of the math involved, you can always keep a handy icon-graphic with the formulas for Ohm's Law. Seams I know a guy that might do that. :)

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
actually when you think about it vaping is more convenient
YOu go to the store at least once a week to buy cigarettes
you spend $50-80 a week on cigarettes
you have to work what like half a day or more at a crap job to afford that

i spend like $300 a year on vaping at most
spend like maybe 4 hours a month at most making juice coiling wicking, filling tanks, swapping batteries etc

WHEN YOU GET THE HANG OF IT vaping is super convenient and i have money left in my pocket

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
*nodding* Squonking makes dripping highly convenient. It doesn't need to be a CopperVape mod. I have two Reo Grand clones & they have 6 ml bottles in them. Building coils is not difficult to learn either. If you need help with some of the math involved, you can always keep a handy icon-graphic with the formulas for Ohm's Law. Seams I know a guy that might do that. :)
Ugh... I get it, it's not complicated. All I was trying to say is that smoking is convenient in that anytime you want a cig you just pick it up and light it. It'd be nice if someday down the road vaping technology can advance to the point where it's just as convenient. I know the hobbyist crowd may not like that but it'd help a lot of current smokers make the switch.

Last edited:

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
So... InSainn welcome to VU. I do get your point. Not everyone wants to turn their vape into a hobby. My advise is find a tank dependant on stock coils and an rta. Convenient to have both. Order a sample pack of prebuilt coils for rta, no sense buying wire until you discover what you enjoy. Order unbleached mugi cotton pads. Youtube how to videos for installing coil and wicking. I would encourage you to try ss coils, you don't need tc to use them. Just my 2 bits.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Go to 3fvape and order a Boxer BF Box, a YTFK Bottle for it. Also order 2 Goon 1.5 RDAs and a Copper Admiral Tube. These are great inexpensive setups that will actually last and you will grow to love them...you just need to order coils suited for mech mods and install them/wick them. At most this will be less then $100 altogether with a couple 100ml bottles of juice from Verdevalleyvapes...enough for a few weeks of vaping...then its just juice, batteries and cotton for a few months. Replacing coils is subjective...depends on what coils and who makes them and what they are made from...but the cost ratio compared to smoking is a landslide if you do it right....even when grabbing a bunch of new stuff.

For the "I have a job or family excuse..."
People dont expect to hear it but I also have a full time job, kids and a wife (She vapes and thats as far as she gets into it)
...I just dont get much sleep and Im always busting my ass :D

I wake up at 4:30am and review, make changes, and report on security issues for GE...Then around 9-10am I send everything in, clean the house/dishes/feed kids breakfast and then I Livestream or build for Instagram...
Then I make kids lunch, Then Shoot for an hour or 2, then stack and merge (30-120 picture per image, for up to 15 images)...then edit each image...
Around 3PM the woman gets home and takes a nap, I clean up the house again...hang out with the family, then make dinner...watch tv/reply to questions/post instagram crap and then put kids to bed...
Im up with the baby until 1-2am and then I go to bed and repeat the next day....and its been like that for the last 2-3 years now...

Without pay I put in atleast 50 hours of build time, 25+ hours of stacking/editing per week on top of my full time job....Im hoping one day it will lead to something good but I love doing it.

If anyone is looking for coils as Mattp already stated Im game...just send me a dm and Ill get your sorted....many people here have already tried them and some are still using coils that I made them a year ago...I use premium sandvik wire ad it may be counter productive but I believe in my work and I dont see a need for shortcuts.

Even if your not looking to buy coils and want to learn to make them Ill walk you through it and hopefully you will also come to enjoy doing it.

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
So... InSainn welcome to VU. I do get your point. Not everyone wants to turn their vape into a hobby. My advise is find a tank dependant on stock coils and an rta. Convenient to have both. Order a sample pack of prebuilt coils for rta, no sense buying wire until you discover what you enjoy. Order unbleached mugi cotton pads. Youtube how to videos for installing coil and wicking. I would encourage you to try ss coils, you don't need tc to use them. Just my 2 bits.

Thank you, like you suggest I'm gonna get some prebuilt coils and personally, I'll probably stick to prebuilt. I really have no interest in buying wire and trying to learn how to coil it. I have an idea of how to do, watched youtube videos and whatnot, but that aspect just doesn't interest me when there's tons of prebuilts out there I can order and try. Does the cotton really matter that it's the mugi? I bought like bags and bags of basic japanese organic cotton pads from vapewild several months ago when I thought I was gonna be rebuilding on my cleito 120. As far as ss coils, I've already done so and they're my first choice of coil already actually.

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
Go to 3fvape and order a Boxer BF Box, a YTFK Bottle for it. Also order 2 Goon 1.5 RDAs and a Copper Admiral Tube. These are great inexpensive setups that will actually last and you will grow to love them...you just need to order coils suited for mech mods and install them/wick them. At most this will be less then $100 altogether with a couple 100ml bottles of juice from Verdevalleyvapes...enough for a few weeks of vaping...then its just juice, batteries and cotton for a few months. Replacing coils is subjective...depends on what coils and who makes them and what they are made from...but the cost ratio compared to smoking is a landslide if you do it right....even when grabbing a bunch of new stuff.

For the "I have a job or family excuse..."
People dont expect to hear it but I also have a full time job, kids and a wife (She vapes and thats as far as she gets into it)
...I just dont get much sleep and Im always busting my ass :D

I wake up at 4:30am and review, make changes, and report on security issues for GE...Then around 9-10am I send everything in, clean the house/dishes/feed kids breakfast and then I Livestream or build for Instagram...
Then I make kids lunch, Then Shoot for an hour or 2, then stack and merge (30-120 picture per image, for up to 15 images)...then edit each image...
Around 3PM the woman gets home and takes a nap, I clean up the house again...hang out with the family, then make dinner...watch tv/reply to questions/post instagram crap and then put kids to bed...
Im up with the baby until 1-2am and then I go to bed and repeat the next day....and its been like that for the last 2-3 years now...

Without pay I put in atleast 50 hours of build time, 25+ hours of stacking/editing per week on top of my full time job....Im hoping one day it will lead to something good but I love doing it.

If anyone is looking for coils as Mattp already stated Im game...just send me a dm and Ill get your sorted....many people here have already tried them and some are still using coils that I made them a year ago...I use premium sandvik wire ad it may be counter productive but I believe in my work and I dont see a need for shortcuts.

Even if your not looking to buy coils and want to learn to make them Ill walk you through it and hopefully you will also come to enjoy doing it.

Thanks for the advice and information. First thing I'm gonna say is I want to stay away from mech mods. I know if you educate yourself and all that they're perfectly safe, but for me and my mental well being, I like knowing I have a regulated device with all the safety guards on it. Besides, I cleaned the connector on my gx350 and that seems to have fixed my issue with the mod as it's reading the ohms correctly again and it's still only months old and a great device.

As for the I have a job and family stuff. I realized other people do too, it's more a matter of I have x amount of free time and do I enjoy this enough to dedicate that free time to building coils and whatnot. For me personally, building coils just doesn't interest me. I'd much rather just stick to getting prebuilts and wicking them on an rta.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
The cotton you already have is fine, just make sure it is unbleached.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks for the advice and information. First thing I'm gonna say is I want to stay away from mech mods. I know if you educate yourself and all that they're perfectly safe, but for me and my mental well being, I like knowing I have a regulated device with all the safety guards on it. Besides, I cleaned the connector on my gx350 and that seems to have fixed my issue with the mod as it's reading the ohms correctly again and it's still only months old and a great device.

As for the I have a job and family stuff. I realized other people do too, it's more a matter of I have x amount of free time and do I enjoy this enough to dedicate that free time to building coils and whatnot. For me personally, building coils just doesn't interest me. I'd much rather just stick to getting prebuilts and wicking them on an rta.
I havent heard much good on the Gx350 BTW....from what Ive seen its got more issues then good...
If your looking for a end all Regulated box that will always be there and last longer then any other box then the Hohmtech Hohm Wrecker G2 would be what I suggest....IT is a bit pricey but its the only regulated mod I still use because its as good as it gets (its workhorse, its not super pretty). Its built like a tank and fires lower then any other box safely...
DNA devices are well liked...but those also have had many issues...the RX200 is a great starter box but wont fire under .1 and lately I havent heard too much negative about them so that may be your fit if the others are not.

We may get you on the darkside yet...I still have faith the poison will spread.

Griffin40

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
InSaine, this is in regards to the mod reading really off on the ohms. Take the tank off your mod. Look at the pin inside the 510 connector on the mod. Its could be a dirty pin with either old ejuice or juice normal metal oxidation. That material will act as an insulator and mess with the mod.

Others please chime in if you have a more efficient way to clean this, but I just take a clean #2 pencil with the pink eraser. With the batteries out/off/locked, I put the eraser into the 510 and slowly screw it in clockwise several times and push downward, until it is all the way at the pin. Then I just turn it counterclockwise while slowly pulling the pencil back out. Then just blow a bit of air into the 510 to get the little eraser dirt out. Makes the copper pin on my mod super shiny and works like new when I am done. Cleans the oxidation right off.Just do it straight without bending the pencil otherwise you could maybe break the eraser off in the mod, and then spend an hour fishing it all out with a pin.

If it's not super clean, try this as it worked on numerous mods of mine to restore ohm readings and inconsistent performance.

Am I the only crazy person here shoving a pencil eraser in their mod to clean the 510? Don't leave me hanging guys:)

VU Sponsors