Become a Patron!

Atlantis Cotton Heads?

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ever since the discussion about the potential risk of using atlantis stock heads, there was talk of convincing Aspire to use cotton instead. has anyone heard any developments on this topic?

i myself only use rebuildables, but my brother does not and i bought him an atlantis for xmas, before i had found out about the potential health risks. told him not to buy any replacement heads until the cotton ones come out. but WILL the cotton ones come out? i tend to think so, so they could compete with Kanger.

i know a lot of people sent messages to aspire but can no longer find that discussion, so here goes. anyone heard anything?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I am pretty sure I saw something where they stated that they would be using a different wick material in the future due to the concerns of the vaping community.

I think @SMOKIE might have more info on this.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am pretty sure I saw something where they stated that they would be using a different wick material in the future due to the concerns of the vaping community.

I think @SMOKIE might have more info on this.

good call Unc.
Smokie! please help :)

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ever since the discussion about the potential risk of using atlantis stock heads, there was talk of convincing Aspire to use cotton instead. has anyone heard any developments on this topic?

i myself only use rebuildables, but my brother does not and i bought him an atlantis for xmas, before i had found out about the potential health risks. told him not to buy any replacement heads until the cotton ones come out. but WILL the cotton ones come out? i tend to think so, so they could compete with Kanger.

i know a lot of people sent messages to aspire but can no longer find that discussion, so here goes. anyone heard anything?

There was an accusation pointed at Aspire for using Silica in their coils. Aspire says there is no silica in their coils.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There was an accusation pointed at Aspire for using Silica in their coils. Aspire says there is no silica in their coils.

whatever theyre using, some users are reporting it to be uncomfortable and potentially harmful. well, at least more harmful/unconfortable than cotton. would be great if they used cotton in the future. just checking to see if anyone has heard of them switching to cotton or perhaps offering a choice between silica/ceramic and cotton.

I did consider rebuilding the heads for him, but people are saying that even pulling the silica/ceramic/whatevertheyreusing will let loose puffs of potentially dangerous fibers into the air, much like dust particles suspended in the air- like youd see when a sun beam comes through the window at just the right angle.

I guess I could soak the wicks and rebuild the heads in a well ventilated area but damn that's a lot of work. id much prefer to get him some factory made cotton heads.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
whatever theyre using, some users are reporting it to be uncomfortable and potentially harmful. well, at least more harmful/unconfortable than cotton. would be great if they used cotton in the future. just checking to see if anyone has heard of them switching to cotton or perhaps offering a choice between silica/ceramic and cotton.

I did consider rebuilding the heads for him, but people are saying that even pulling the silica/ceramic/whatevertheyreusing will let loose puffs of potentially dangerous fibers into the air, much like dust particles suspended in the air- like youd see when a sun beam comes through the window at just the right angle.

I guess I could soak the wicks and rebuild the heads in a well ventilated area but damn that's a lot of work. id much prefer to get him some factory made cotton heads.

They were talking about silica particles, and there is NO silica in the coil heads, but if you want to believe otherwise, that's up to you.
http://forum.aspirecig.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16958

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They were talking about silica particles, and there is NO silica in the coil heads, but if you want to believe otherwise, that's up to you.
http://forum.aspirecig.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16958

thanks for the link.

im not sure what are in the atlantis heads. but what i think the material is, is not my topic of choice for this thread. all I know is that its not 100% cotton. I would like them to offer cotton. I wonder if that will happen.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so it appears that Aspire is indeed planning to offer organic/japanese cotton heads. woohoo!
in case anyone else is interested, heres a post from RobertB's link. thanks again Robert.

"Dear Friend,
Thanks very much for the concern and information.
But we need to clarify that there is not shards of glass silica you mentioned in our coils material, before using the material, we did thousands of tests to confirm the safety. We also use the products we sold.
We at Aspire never defame others and regard customers as our lives, we will do whatever are good to the users. If people all think the organic cotton or Japanese cotton is 100% safe, we will change the coil material to these stuff, now we are testing the cotton material, if we confirm it is healthy, we will change as soon as possible. Thanks."

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I understand the organic cotton part. its the ceramic paper that concerns me.
taken from the link you provided:

"Notes:
A. Stainless Steel screen: keeps wicking in it’s casing, and helps prevent excess e-liquid from going into air chamber.
B. Kanthal heating coil from USA
C. Organic cotton: superior wicking to the coil
D. Aspire Ceramic paper: specially designed as a capillary medium to feed the cotton wick more efficiently.
E. Organic cotton: superior wicking to the Ceramic paper which holds the e-liquid for wicking to the cotton/coil area"

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Aspire sales
Attachments1:47 AM

to me
Hi friend,

Thanks very much for the concern and information.
But we need to clarify that there is not shards of glass silica you mentioned in our coils material, before use the material, we did thousands of tests to confirm the safety.
But if people all think the organic cotton or Japanese cotton is 100% safe, we will change the coil material to these stuff, now we are testing the cotton material, if we confirm it is healthy, we will change as soon as possible. thanks.

4biddenArtist

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I quit smoking on the Nautilus and was wondering the same about the cotton/ceramic debate. I took apart my first coil after it failed, or rather I used a high VG juice (beginners mistake) and gunked it up and burned the wick. I noticed the burning flavor pretty intensely. I thought that the little bit of filament was cotton but I see it is an infused paper. I do think that a pure cotton fiber would be best or maybe hemp.. Has anyone tried a hemp cotton???

4biddenArtist

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Also I have already gone through 2 coils in 7 days! Is this normal? I chain vape pretty much all day, I drive around for a living so i can do that no prob. Im using the istick 20 on 13 ish watts with a 1.7 ohm factory coil. I noticed that it has a hard time wicking every so often so i take primer puffs to get the juice flowing. Is this a recommended technique? I can see little air bubbles after a primer puff or two, but Ive heard this crates a vacuum and could potentially lead to problems with air flow chamber filling.. Just asking? THanks

Chuck H.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Aspire Atlantis cotton coils . They are offering cotton coils to retailers in limited qty's as of last week . Soon they will be available for all who desire cotton over the original coils . It's a waiting point at the present time ! I will be happy when the cotton coils become available , I have been re-building my old coils with cellucotton for about a month and the out perform the original coils by leaps and bounds !

4biddenArtist

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
lol after getting my delta II and billow I have pretty much shelved my Nautilus. Yes cotton is sooo much better! And the lung hits from sub ohming on my istick 30 and smaug 150 are leaps and bounds better than i imagined. Its been about a week now of vaping on these devices and i tried my nautilus the other day and could not take more then a few puffs before shelving it!
Although as a smoker (past) I enjoyed the mouth to lung style and the nautilus produces this style of vape, I have come to appreciate a nice big airflow. The nautilus will forever hold a place in my sentiments for being the device that I finally quit smoking on and I will occasionally still use it when reminiscing, as I foresee later in life. I like japanese cotton! Although I don't have an atlantis I think it is all around a better move for aspire.
Now I'm waiting on my istick 50 that I just ordered and the mutation X v3 to come and I will build a nice coil wick it with organic japanese cotton and blow clouds! I would still like to support a hemp cotton wick though. YESSSSSS! Vape ON!

Last edited:

Chuck H.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
lol after getting my delta II and billow I have pretty much shelved my Nautilus. Yes cotton is sooo much better! And the lung hits from sub ohming on my istick 30 and smaug 150 are leaps and bounds better than i imagined. Its been about a week now of vaping on these devices and i tried my nautilus the other day and could not take more then a few puffs before shelving it!
Although as a smoker (past) I enjoyed the mouth to lung style and the nautilus produces this style of vape, I have come to appreciate a nice big airflow. The nautilus will forever hold a place in my sentiments for being the device that I finally quit smoking on and I will occasionally still use it when reminiscing, as I foresee later in life. I like japanese cotton! Although I don't have an atlantis I think it is all around a better move for aspire.
Now I'm waiting on my istick 50 that I just ordered and the mutation X v3 to come and I will build a nice coil wick it with organic japanese cotton and blow clouds! I would still like to support a hemp cotton wick though. YESSSSSS! Vape ON!

Chuck H.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good luck with the IStick ; Good choice on the mutation x v3 I really like mine , very nice RDA !

4biddenArtist

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Good luck with the IStick ; Good choice on the mutation x v3 I really like mine , very nice RDA !
THanks I just got it in the mail today and whoa! My first build was a micro dual with 28 gauge kanthal and i was impressed it was .7 ohms 8 wraps. Now after failing a sleeper coil (practice practice practice) I put a 1.3 ish ohm dual 10 wrap in the mutation x v3 and holy crap I was blowing clouds so big I could not believe it. Of course for higher wattage i plop it on my smaug dragon 150 but the i stick 50 kicks it out very nicely. I am very happy. It fires coils my smaug wont at .2 Whats the big deal with sub ohm coils anyway??? I mean whats the advantage as opposed to a 1.3 or so coil? Just wondering.
Sorry to get off topic with this thread... yes cotton...

VU Sponsors