Become a Patron!

atomizer and watts/votage

tbluhp

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When an atomizer stats like 0.5 then 15-30W dose this mean Power Settings can't go above 30W even though my device is capable of 150W?

MASSIVE

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That means you likely don't want to exceed those specs by too much. The power setting will still go to wherever you want it - The MFG suggests (wisely in many cases) staying within a particular range.

[EDIT, as I was very pressed for time - at the time]

There are "rules of thumb" here also (Ohm's Law for one). Typically (TYPICALLY...), you're going to find lower resistance = higher wattage. But not always the case. The build of the coil comes into play also. I have 0.5's from one MFG (Aspire Atlantis?) that spec at 20-30w and others (eLeaf?) that spec up to 70w. Vaporesso cCELL coils at 0.9 don't even *start* to get yummy until well into the 30's (which would absolutely destroy many others in the ~1-ohm range). And these are all interchangeable from tank to tank. Uwell Crown coils seem to like the upper 40's before they start crankin' out the hits.

NOW, I'M NO EXPERT -- But a far-more-qualified-than-I individual once told me something that made a lot of sense -- When in doubt - and this is assuming you're using a regulated, adjustable mod - watch the voltage. Most pre-made coils are spec'd at around 3.8v (the nominal output of the typical 18650 battery). With a 0.5, that's probably going to be around 26-28w. See what it does there and wiggle around some. With some 0..5's (Atlantis perhaps), it might be really nice. With Crown, it might barely fire up. IME, they start coming alive around 4.5v and up.

With ~1 ohm, you might find that 3.8v number at 15-17w. With eGo and some other coils, that might work fine. With cCELLs, you might need 5.5 or 6v (upper 30's in wattage) before you get that faucet of flavor going on.

Blah, blah, blah -- Check those specs and use them as a starting point. Find the groove that works with your mod / tank / flavor -- that's important too -- I frequently find that brighter, more "pointy" flavors (citrus, mint, fruity) might need a little less juice (no pun intended) than darker, more rounded flavors (bakery, chocolate, coffee, vanilla) which like a little more 'heat' to really come out.

Last edited:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, unless you build at near the lowest ohm your device is capable of, or very high surface area higher ohm coils.... You won't likely ever use the 150watts. To use 150watts at .5ohm, the coil would have to be quite big. Would take a LOOOOONG time to heat up and even longer to cool..

My understanding, even if it is confuse and senseless.
The range is the optimal performance range for that particular coil made at that particular OHM using that particular grade and size of wire. Thicker wired coil would have a higher range, thinner lower. It is the range they are intended to be used at.... Yes, you can use them outside of that range, but most won't stray far.

I vape unregulated. For my mod the wattage range of a .5ohm coil is , 25-35watts depending on battery charge, 3.6v to 4.2v. Should make that coil run very HOT. Those ranges are what have kept me from buying a SUBtank type atty. All the factory coils I see seem to want to run at less watts than my mech puts out.

VU Sponsors