atomizer short

Discussion in 'General Rebuildable Discussion (RTA/RBA/RDA)' started by esp.15, Jul 8, 2016.

1. esp.15

esp.15 New Member

Blog Posts:
    So im running an RDA with dual coils and it keeps telling me I have an atomizer short. All I have to do to fix it is unscrew my RDA from my mod and put it back on. Can anyone tell me what's going on and how to fix it? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Whiskey

Whiskey Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Have you tried a new build to rule that out? Or another RDA on it to see if you get the same read out?

3. HondaDavidson

HondaDavidson Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like an issue with the 510 connection....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

anen likes this.
  4. nightshard

nightshard It's VG/PG not PG/VG VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Tighten the build deck screws, check that the coil is not touching the deck posts, tighten the 510 screw and try again.
    If nothing helps and if you have the same problem with other attys, it's probably the mod 510 connector.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  5. nightshard

nightshard It's VG/PG not PG/VG VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    With dual builds it's also possible the the legs of one of the coils are not cut close enough to the post and are touching the other coil from the other side

Whiskey likes this.
  6. anen

anen Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    510 or your (+) positive pin is over tighten or too loose. It can be a worn or burnt insulator that is around it as well. if your 510 is loose or has burnt insulator you built may be causing short because of the loosely conected positive post on the deck.

7. HondaDavidson

HondaDavidson Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:

If the insultadtor are bad or the posts loose. Tightening can cause the pin to move off center and be push over into the side of the 510, which as you know is the negative. resulting in and atomizer short.

If the 510 post of the mod is fixed or spring loaded, it could have been pushed in by over-tightening and general use. They sometimes must be pried back up into position. Google, EGO battery 510 fixes.

8. esp.15

esp.15 New Member

Blog Posts:
    I tried several different builds at first because I thought I was just doing something wrong. Now taking it off doesn't even work. I got one of them to work for a while but it went from .3 ohms to. 5 to. 75 then nothing. This is my first rda and I got it really cheap. I'll get a new one of I have to but I've only had this one for two weeks and would like to save it if I can.

9. esp.15

esp.15 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Also I put my tank back on yesterday and it's working great so I know it's not the 510

10. BoomStick

BoomStick Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Completely disassemble the atty in question. Clean, inspect and go from there.

Whiskey likes this.
  11. savagebee

savagebee Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like it may be a bad insulator

12. esp.15

esp.15 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Is the insulator something you can fix?

13. savagebee

savagebee Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Depends on the rda.

14. BoomStick

Blog Posts:
    Quit guessing and take the damn thing apart.

15. esp.15

esp.15 New Member

Blog Posts:
    It's a haze. I'm looking at it and I dont see any way to take it apart.

16. Angrygod50

Angrygod50 Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Didn't say what mod you have. Happens a lot with joyetech and Eleaf mods - crappy 510. been several threads about it. Happens often with my Eleaf TC200W
    sometimes in the middle of a hit. I use a spacer so the RDA doesn't screw down as far on the Joyetech mods but the Eleaf does it even with the spacer. Unscrew the atty reset the resistance screw the atty back on and vape away.

17. BoomStick

Blog Posts:
    He said it doesn't happen with other atomizers. So probably not the mod.

18. esp.15

esp.15 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Ok. I figured out its the mod. I was sure it was the rda so i went and bought an alliance v2 (which i don't really mind because it's awesome) it worked for about an hour then did the same thing. I tried it on a friends mod and it worked. I'm using the rx200. Just updated the firmware hoping that would help. Now instead of a short it says no atomizer. Tfv4 still works like a dream for some reason. Also, the ohms were changing before it stopped working. The last one that worked went from .3 to .5 to .75. then no atty. Oh and i tried cleaning the 510 too. I'm stumped.

19. Fuerii

Fuerii New Member

Blog Posts:
    I was warned not to put tfv4on my realeaux dna200. It can damage the 510 connection and prevent the mod from working properly with other atomizers. Iirc the rx has the same form factor, just a different chip. If that's what happened you're gonna have to use another mod for your rda's as wismec will not honor warrenty if damage occurs from 3rd party atomizers, which is basically all of them. I'm sorry, it's bullshit. :(

20. Angrygod50

Angrygod50 Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I use a thin copper sealing washer from an auto parts store as a spacer and it solves the problem of the atty screwing on too far and damaging the 510. A lot of people bought those adjustable heat sinks and just leave it on the mod. Some folks said they cut an old credit card to make a spacer. If the threads on the atty are too long or the center pin sticks out past the threads you will have a problem. If you search the regulated section you can find threads about the RX200 and the Cuboid and what others may have tried. I also saw that someone is offering a service to replace the 510 with a Fat Daddy 510.

Whiskey likes this.
  21. BoomStick

Blog Posts:
    I've retrofitted all my boxes with fatdaddy 510's. Great connectors.

22. esp.15

esp.15 New Member

Blog Posts:
    I blew the 510 out with compressed air and it seems to have done the trick. It's been several days and its still working fine. Thanks for the help!

23. Rabbit Slayer

Rabbit Slayer Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Try cleaning the threads on the mod and atty?

24. Kathylynn

Kathylynn New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thank you so much. .. I had a coil barely touching the deck ,tightening fixing them worked ... thank you so much

25. Kathylynn

Kathylynn New Member

Blog Posts:
    Untighten looked real close had a coil touching the deck fixed it tightening backup works perfectly thank you so much

26. jr779

jr779 Bronze Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    I had the same issue. Took it apart and cleaned it up before putting in new coils and made sure I cut the ends as close as possible to the posts. It works perfectly now.

27. Vaper4Life

Vaper4Life New Member

Blog Posts:
    I know this is an old thread but I just made sure that the tank was clean and the threads had nothing stuck in it, because when I screwed it on it made a grinding noise. So hope I helped someone.