Become a Patron!

Authentic Orchid - Anyone have any ideas on how to remove a stripped screw?

http://imgur.com/66CbVro

Seller suggested I send it back to them, but, Aethertech is notorious for bad customer service from what I've been hearing and they are delayed on just about everything. I really don't want to send it back to them and not get a response for months on end, or, have it lost and lose out on like $145.00. I've tried super glue on the allen tools that it came with, letting it dry, and trying to unscrew it, using small diagonal cutters to try and grip it and unscrew it, but, nothing is working.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know if they make an "easy-out" screw extractor that small, but maybe
try heating the post up with a solder iron and repeat using diagonals
buy a 10 dollar clone, and send the authentic in for repair

Last edited:

driver379

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
http://imgur.com/66CbVro

Seller suggested I send it back to them, but, Aethertech is notorious for bad customer service from what I've been hearing and they are delayed on just about everything. I really don't want to send it back to them and not get a response for months on end, or, have it lost and lose out on like $145.00. I've tried super glue on the allen tools that it came with, letting it dry, and trying to unscrew it, using small diagonal cutters to try and grip it and unscrew it, but, nothing is working.
You are going to ruin the screw and an Allen wrench but it sounds like they are bad anyway. JB weld will more than likely accomplish what you were trying to do with super glue. Just let it set up for a full 24 hrs. to get a full cure on the epoxy you should screw it right back out then.

What a disappointing purchase. It's an authentic, too. Oh well, looks like it's time to order a clone for like 1/8 of the cost and use the parts from it. The clone V3, V4, V5, and V6 are already out and they look a little better, IMHO. LOL

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you start with a small drill bit and slowly move up to a larger one. You shouldn't get to the point where you hit threads. Then chase the threads with a tap.

Side note. How is that authentic working out? Jk. I have 4 clones and all of them are running smooth.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Grasp the head in a pair of end cutting pliers and turn. I have crossed this bridge before.

If you start with a small drill bit and slowly move up to a larger one. You shouldn't get to the point where you hit threads. Then chase the threads with a tap.

Side note. How is that authentic working out? Jk. I have 4 clones and all of them are running smooth.
I think the authentic V2 has more airflow than the clones. From what I've seen, the clones only have 2 holes on the bottom of the atty's deck. Well, I ordered a bunch of clones for parts since Aethertech is so terrible with customer service issues. At least I'll have a bigger tank when those arrive. Funny how the clones look better than the authentic.

Grasp the head in a pair of end cutting pliers and turn. I have crossed this bridge before.
Tried with the smallest angle cutters I could find, but, it's hopeless. That stripped screw is almost flush with that center post and I can't find anything small enough to fit in the allen screw to grip and twist it out.

T

Taver13

craftsman makes an ezout kit that has extractors that size, im a boat mechanic, and have actually used the small one like that, i think i paid like 10 bucks when i got it

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ez out extractors work really well and should do the trick without messing up the threads. The jb weld in the head then throw the allen key in and wait for it to set sounds like a good one too.

I guess if you have a clone backup it wouldn't be that bad to send it in and let them sit on it.
That sucks though.

Pick up one of these so that doesn't happen again. Most of the clones are coming with Phillips heads now but I actually prefer the allens. Forgot where I got it but it was under $5 shipped. Wera 0.035 allen driver
page78_Page_1_Image_0003__94795.1411733646.1280.1280.jpg

VU Sponsors