Become a Patron!

Avocado 24 - Cotton Whicks Black Quickly - Help

Sean Di Rienzo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Good evening all, thank you for clicking my thread.

I own an Avocado 24 that I absolutely adore. I use twisted SS and sometimes regular 24guage Kanthal. I usually run anywhere from .3 - .7 ohms on a single coil. I pretty much stick to 15-20 watts at all times and dont go outside that range.

I use Ko Gen Do Japanese Cotton for my wicks.

My largest issue is that my wicks blacken rather quickly, usually within a day or two they darken significantly. After about a week they are a black mess and I have to clean the coil / deck and then rewick.

I don't ever get dry hits, but my flavour degrades as the wick blackens.
I've little experience with RDTA'S and used to keep the wicks in my Magma RDA for much longer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi
I used to have the same problem, then I've increased the diameter of the coil and now it lasts noticeably longer.
For the most part I use Kanthal 26G, 6-7 wraps on a 4mm drill bit for some 1-1.2 ohm, 30+ W
This is a coil I've been using daily for more than one week
uploadfromtaptalk1498200766591.jpg
Obviously if you use dark/sweet/organic tobacco liquids your result may be different, but I'm sure you'll see some benefit from a wider coil

Sean Di Rienzo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think it is my juice choice. I use nothing but 50/50 pg/vg vanilla custard that I make. 4mg/ml at 15% capella vanilla custard total flavour volume. Its slightly yellow ish, a caramel like colour. I suppose the more juice that goes through the wicks the darker they become, and the possible caramelisation of sugars or other compounds.

I've done a lot of research on how to wick this properly and have tried various methods. I think that with my juice type and the amount of juice I run through it this may be normal ?

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
IMO the reasons for quickly blackening wicks may be insufficient airflow and/or insufficient flow of liquid to the coil (for a given vaping style/power/setup)
I chainvape a lot, with long draws (>5s), and using much liquid per day, still I've found beneficial increasing the coil diameter. Nothing else helped.
Try that, what have you got to lose anyway
Forgot to mention: contrary to common opinion I make my wicks fish deep in the tank, almost to the bottom of it, so that the wick is always saturated... not sure it makes a difference, but it works for me.

Last edited:

Dpetes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think it is my juice choice. I use nothing but 50/50 pg/vg vanilla custard that I make. 4mg/ml at 15% capella vanilla custard total flavour volume. Its slightly yellow ish, a caramel like colour. I suppose the more juice that goes through the wicks the darker they become, and the possible caramelisation of sugars or other compounds.

I've done a lot of research on how to wick this properly and have tried various methods. I think that with my juice type and the amount of juice I run through it this may be normal ?
I vape peanut butter custard and vanilla custard all the time and my wicks turn black and only last a week so i think youre right its the juice you vape

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd say the juice also. Vanilla in particular turns juice dark even without vaping it. Just about every flavor that's majority vanilla after several months has turned dark brown or nearly black. Sweeter juices and creamy/custard vanilla types are some of the worst. It does the same in my avocado. Some juices are lighter fruit flavors and wicks last several days with no color change. Others like strawberry and cream start turning golden brown to brown to dark brown over the course of just a few days.

VU Sponsors