Become a Patron!

Avocado 24 standard vs bottom airflow

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This may be a moot point with rdta's in general but trying to decide between the 24 and 24 bottom airflow. Many say the bottom airflow is better for flavor but I've read a few experiences saying the airflow doesn't close off completely. My biggest concern is with laying it on its side.

Sometimes I lay my mod on its side to prevent bumping into the coffee table or something and knocking it over. Is this possible with rdta's without them pissing all over the place or no?

I'm not too bothered by the fill methods between the two, the juice flow looks pointless on the 24 bottom airflow. The main differences I've been looking at are the wicking holes, 4 individual holes for the wick on the standard and 2 gaping slots on the bottom airflow version. Doubtful the wick will fill both of those slots fully leaving a gap between the wicks (maybe I'm wrong). Is that going to make it leak like mad when laid on its side?

Thanks in advance.

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This may be a moot point with rdta's in general but trying to decide between the 24 and 24 bottom airflow. Many say the bottom airflow is better for flavor but I've read a few experiences saying the airflow doesn't close off completely. My biggest concern is with laying it on its side.

Sometimes I lay my mod on its side to prevent bumping into the coffee table or something and knocking it over. Is this possible with rdta's without them pissing all over the place or no?

I'm not too bothered by the fill methods between the two, the juice flow looks pointless on the 24 bottom airflow. The main differences I've been looking at are the wicking holes, 4 individual holes for the wick on the standard and 2 gaping slots on the bottom airflow version. Doubtful the wick will fill both of those slots fully leaving a gap between the wicks (maybe I'm wrong). Is that going to make it leak like mad when laid on its side?

Thanks in advance.
Kinda funny you posted this because I cleaned one of my avocado 24s last night n put a new build in it, wicked it up, juiced it, vaped it for a little bit and for whatever reason laid the mod on its side and walked away. Saw it when I got home from work a little bit ago and figured id have a mess to clean up but amazingly enough, it didnt leak a drop. I dont know how it didnt leak nor would I ever trust it to not leak in that scenario but this time, I got lucky. Flavor on the regular 24 is great, however it gets hot, the domed top on the bottom airflow version helps keep that hot ass top off your lips.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Was planning on getting a bottom airflow avocado from prior to it's release but decided on sticking with the original once I saw the adjustable wick holes.. never did get one but just don't feel that the build design is going to be as leak resistant as the org. Am happy with the side air flow version. ymmv

Cosmic

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It's good practice to NEVER lay either an rdta or rda on its side, you will almost always get leakage. A sub-ohm tank, yes you can for periods, but an Avocado type of atomizer, no. Just train yourself to keeping it upright at all times, at home and in the car, and you won't have leakage. On a coffee table, you can place the mod between two books, or brace it somehow with something so it won't fall over, or wrap a small towel around the mod to brace it. An rdta laid on its side will lose its slight vacuum and piss juice all over. An Avocado, if you use too much cotton thinking this will prevent leaks, will only constrict the juice flow and you'll get dry hits. It's just the way these attys are....I have to treat my limitless classic the same way, and i am totally happy with mine. I use this atty both at work and home, in the car a little trick I use is to fold a washcloth in half and wrap that around the mod....this gives it padding in the cup holder so it doesn't rattle around, works fine. The cloth stays in the cupholder, the mod is protected from scratches and bumps.

Last edited:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for all the advice. I hadn't heard too much about the tip getting hot on the standard 24, something to consider. Don't really have any experience with rda's or rdta's, my current rta is more of a bottom coil so it doesn't heat up the tip too bad.

I've just gotten used to laying it down, left it standing a couple times and had it fall over. Thought for sure it'd break the tank glass but got lucky, was just loud. It's got a swiveled top with a hinge pin and just seals with a silicone pad around the fill holes. It doesn't really leak, more like just a small drop of juice accumulates around the seam where the lid closes.

Maybe I can build a small mod stand or something for it for around the house

Lactone

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have every model of Avocado ever made, and I have a love affair with each of them. I like every one of them for different reasons....the 22's super thick barrel and top cap help boost the flavor and intensity of the vape, however no fill port is kind of annoying, but not an issue for me since I solely run it in single coil mode, which allows me to simply remove the ceramic plug and fill through the empty wick holes with my unicorn, glass dripper, chubby, or any type of bottle really. Then I have the 24, which added the much needed fill port to the deck. This guy I run in either single coil or dual coil mode because of this. However, I almost always, maybe 90% of the time, prefer a single coil to a dual coil in most any atomizer, conserving both juice and battery life, while maintaining quality flavor, density, and overall performance. Next we move on to my 24mm Bottom Airflow. This freaking guy....has some of the most intense flavor I have gotten out of ANY atomizer (tanks, drippers, rdtas, ANYTHING). I always run him in single coil mode, using the silicone and ceramic bung, just as I do on the original 22. I have heard people complain about this one, claiming they experienced massive leaking problems. However, I found that when wicked properly, I can turn the guy upside down, rest it on its side on my belly, keep it in my pocket, and I never have leaking issues with it. This version requires MUCH more wick than the other 2, due to the massive, kidney shaped wick channels it uses. The previous 2 versions both had much smaller, circular wick holes, which both require the wicks to be thinned out and trimmed considerably...so I assume the people who had leaking issues tried to wick the bottom airflow version just like they did the other versions, and the thin wicks didn't fully block the kidney shaped wicking channels, hence the leaking issues....EVERY rebuildable device has a delicate, and more importantly, DIFFERENT, wicking technique that is required to be perfected in order to get optimal performance out of the atomizer. Lastly, the newest, colored version of the 22, the "Special Edition". This guy performs well, like each of the other avocados, but it does not give me the same flavor intensity of it's predecessor's. I think this is because it has a thinner metal barrel/AFC ring, similar to that of the bottom airflow version, but it retains the side airflow of the original 22, which stunts the flavor a bit in my opinion. The bottom airflow version can get away with a thinner metal barrel because the massive flavor boost you get from utilizing bottom instead of side airflow, more than make up for the metal thickness. This minor drawback aside, I still enjoy using the special edition 22, however It is my least favorite of the 4 in the Avocado line. The 22mm is my favorite of the bunch. Filling issues aside (Which aren't ever even an issue or a con for me, as I strictly run the bugger in single coil mode), it has the best flavor of the lot, and I enjoy the 22mm size, low profile, and prefer the 510 adapter style it uses compared to its bigger brothers. The 24 bottom airflow comes in 2nd for me, with the 24 coming in 3rd, and the special edition, like I said, being my least favorite of the lot.

SO, AVOCADOS FOR LIFE?!? Most likely. Only time will tell. The NaRDA comes in a CLOSE 2nd place as my all time favorite atty. It is still a fairly new addition to my collection though, so I haven't 100% explored EVERY possibility with it yet. I do see it being possible for it to someday surpass the Avocado, but not as of right now. Ok welp, that about sums it up for me on the Avocados. They truly are amazing atomizers, and to this day remain my favorite of all time. I use at least 1, if not 2, of them on a DAILY basis, usually as my all day banger. I hope you all who are reading this have found SOMETHING I wrote useful, informative, and/or helpful in some way! As always....Keep Cool and Vape on! CHEERS!

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the detailed experience @Lactone , I ended up with the 24 bottom airflow. No real issues with it other than when I used the 510 reducer and attempted to use a 510 tip I got from fasttech. The reducer collar that came with narrowed the hole down some and the drip tip was a bit deceiving. It looked to be more open inside than it actually was, it had a thicker sidewall which closed the hole down further. With 3mm to 3.5mm coils and lifting them above the air vents underneath they were close to the top of the bell shaped cap. The reducer and 510 tip almost choked it off to where there was little room for vapor to escape. I was getting vapor but it tasted crappy, I think a lot of it was condensing on the inside of the cap and running back down the walls which killed the flavor. Switching to the wider bore tip improved it a lot.

No experience with the others, even with dual coils there's not much problem for me refilling. I just use tweezers and flip the end of one wick out of the way and dump juice past it to fill it. I haven't been brave enough to lay it down but no leaks. With the wicks I snip them off so they just lay flush with the top of the wick holes, not tucked down into them. I leave the juice flow half shut to create a partial deck, only 2 juice holes open vs all 4. Juice seems to slosh up in there and ride around on the partially closed juice flow cover and with 4 wick tails it's plenty to soak it up.

My only other issue is using ss wire with it. The set screws seem to have trouble clamping solid with just a single strand of 26g ss316L, it's just too thin. It grabs twisted ok. I tried some half staggered fused clapton ss316 in it and in dual coil with the wattage turned up I think it was just too much for it. The glass got wicked hot, the mod was bitching at me for protections, the top cap was insanely hot. Dialing back a bit and going with less aggressive simple twisted coils seems to work well.

Also have to note that I'm not sure if it's just how the avocado is or if it's because it's a clone. Some don't like clones, I was unsure of using it since it's my first rda/rdta. It was only $10, can't gripe if it has some flaws. Figured if I didn't like it, $10 was a lot better than $20-30 down the drain. My original concerns with laying it down were because of using an istick tc100w. It's pretty narrow and left standing up on the bottom with a tank on top it's pretty top heavy and prone to falling over. I picked up an alien 220w when I got the avocado, it's shorter and has a wider more stable base. Leaving it sit upright on the bottom of the mod isn't as precarious.

Lactone

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the detailed experience @Lactone

No problem Synphul! I am glad to hear you're having an overall pleasant experience with the 24 baf avocado! It is such a great atomizer . The 510 adapter issue sounds like a clone issue, as mine sits perfectly and fits all my 510 drip tips with no issues. Good to hear it is wicking so well! You are smart to use short wick tails, that is always the way to go with any rdta. I have ever tried your exact method, utilizing the juice flow control lever ( I always leave that thing full open and honestly just wish it wasn't there lol). The 26g SS 316L wire issue sounds about right to me...the lead holes are quite large , but the hex screws don't quite easily capture small Guage wire ...but then again , why use 26g round wire when you could use a sweet multi core clapton xD. I also find it strange that your staggered fused clapton gave you severe heat issues....that could either be a clone issue or an issue with your mod and /or it's TC settings/capabilities. (I have no issues with clones at all, I own a NaRDA clone from FT, and a velocity v2 clone also from FT....both are astounding attys that are part of my daily rotation....hell , my NaRDA is my absolute favorite single coil dripper of all time, and quite possibly my favorite RDA overall! It hasn't taken the cake over my Avocado 22 as my #1 overall atomizer ( of any type ) of all time, but #1 RDA? Yes. The avocado's flavor paired with the rdta tank capacity makes it more appealing to me than ANY dripper, especialy for its on the go capability and convenience. As for the NaRDA clone, It has such better flavor than Any, and i mean ANY other RDA, it is just CRAZY....it is light years ahead of the majority of my authentics, including my goon, recoil, kennedys, and every other atty I have ever used for that matter....the recoil is the only on that foes remotely close out of those, but still, not quite there!)I use an ipower 80 by eLeaf with my 24 baf all the time, and I love it, works great; however, I run it in wattage mode about 98% of the time. I have a spool of SS316L 2x24/32 Fused Clapton wire that I use on it all the time (usually run in wattage mode around 70-80 watts) and I have never experienced severe heat issues with it. When I do run that wire in TC, I set it around 50 watts preheat and 475 degrees , which produces a mildly warm, not hot vape. The atomizer can get warm, especially while chain vaping, but I have never had it so hot that it is unpleasant to touch, and never once has the glass goten hot, only the tip cap. So like I said, it is most likely clone quality control that creates the hot atty :/ Especially using a staggered fused, that is one of the hottest builds out there no matter what atty you're running it in! But nonetheless , minor issues aside, it seems like you're having an overall good experience wit the atty right ? I hope so, it's a killer, especially for the 10 bucks you paid! I'd love to see some screen shots of it, as i a curious to see how good of a 1:1 it is to my authentic. Lastly, I believe it fits goon/kennedy size drip tips (810), but only the ones with Orings obviously, as the drip tip female slot does not have the embedded o ring like the goon does. I have a sweet blue and black marble design custom ceramic 810 drip tip though with 2x small, thin Orings around it, and it work perfectly on it; I much prefer it to the black delrin press fit one that comes with it. Ok, I think I have covered everything I wanted to now, so, as always......keep cool and vape on! CHEERS!

Last edited:

Scy123

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I tried some half staggered fused clapton ss316 in it and in dual coil with the wattage turned up I think it was just too much for it. The glass got wicked hot, the mod was bitching at me for protections, the top cap was insanely hot.

I like to run mines with staggered fused ss316L claptons around 140w and it does not get hot enough for me to worry about. Sure I would not hold the tank after a session but it does not over heat or anything.

I never tried it but I would never leave it on the side cause I wick it a little loose for more wicking power.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors