Become a Patron!

Bad Coconut or nut.....I mean not?

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got some FA coconut (which I have used+loved since early on in DIY) and had problems with it in mixes, if I hadnt tried it solo I might not have thought IT was the problem. Now I know I am a bit crazy and have lots of issues but getting bad flavorings is getting close to the top of my list of pet peeves. I got a 10ml of FA coconut which I have ordered from ECX before and hadnt had problems but this time its faded. It came in a fatter, shorter bottle and is just about flavorless @4% solo. I am wondering if im getting vapers tongue or losin my mind, if not why do these companies give out flavorings old enough to be bad?? Is there any way to check the date it was made by the batch number on it?? Will any of these companies actually stand by the flavors theyre selling and send you out more if they find a bad batch or do they just not care to look into it?? I have used flavors in the past I thought were just weak or did bad things to my mixes and completely cut them out. If I dont roll the dice and buy it again I may have missed out on a good flavoring only because I got a bad batch ONE time.....also if a flavoring is going bad and faded, shouldnt that be a sign it may not last long in the mixes?? I keep saying I should buy bigger bottles but if I got stuck with a 4oz bottle of faded flavoring I would be much more upset........

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've never had a problem with flavor fade from FA Coconut. How long ago did you get the bottle? Is it re-bottled, or an original FA bottle. IME, ECX re-bottles, but I haven't ordered from them in a while. It's possible, if re-bottled, that the flavor wasn't shaken well enough, prior to dispensing. They're usually pretty good at replacing, but I don't know if they have a cut off time for that.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just bought it a couple weeks ago or so. Looks like original FA bottle and has a batch number and says 2016 on it. You think maybe the lid was left off or maybe it was left in the heat....or can I just not taste coconut anymore ?....I love coconut Huck, say it aint so lol

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I hope that's not the case, I use that one a lot, too. I'd contact ECX with the info. If they can't help, maybe email FA. I've heard they (FA) take a minute to respond, but that they do.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh ok thanks Huck, hadnt tried reachin out to ecx yet but wasnt sure if I was waistin my time. I figured I would just ask here first. I know im venting but i keep wondering if im doing something wrong at this point, I always shake em before hand too.....you know I know that by now lol

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh ok thanks Huck, hadnt tried reachin out to ecx yet but wasnt sure if I was waistin my time. I figured I would just ask here first. I know im venting but i keep wondering if im doing something wrong at this point, I always shake em before hand too.....you know I know that by now lol
They've been pretty good about working with people in the past. When I first started DIY, every order I place with them had an issue. They did take care of it every time, though.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They've been pretty good about working with people in the past. When I first started DIY, every order I place with them had an issue. They did take care of it every time, though.
I would have lost it, what a headache lol. If I didnt have you guys to start DIY Id be clueless, might have quit even. Thanks for reading buddy! Just hope I havent crossed too many flavors off of the list that may have just been bad batches at this point. So many factors that could go wrong in doing this it gets frustrating at times and I forget to have fun...I do love the mixing and making recipes part of it, just the "finding a problem" aspect that gets to me. Doesnt help my tastebuds are so particular either.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They said they checked 3 bottles on the shelf and there wasnt anything wrong with them. Maybe i AM just a nut.....losin my tastebuds or somethin IDK. I am gonna try and get someone else to taste it but im definitely gonna be more cautious. She said that they bottle all the 10mls there.....that they are not the actual FA ones but look similar I guess? This one was not shrink wrapped and had a tamper proof cap on it, wider and shorter than usual yet still brown. I do see distributed by ECX on the bottle and she also mentioned they hadnt got a shipment of it in a while.....

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
They said they checked 3 bottles on the shelf and there wasnt anything wrong with them. Maybe i AM just a nut.....losin my tastebuds or somethin IDK. I am gonna try and get someone else to taste it but im definitely gonna be more cautious. She said that they bottle all the 10mls there.....that they are not the actual FA ones but look similar I guess? This one was not shrink wrapped and had a tamper proof cap on it, wider and shorter than usual yet still brown. I do see distributed by ECX on the bottle and she also mentioned they hadnt got a shipment of it in a while.....
Well, bummer. Their word against yours at this point. I know that must be frustrating. Maybe try a different vendor, if you decide to reorder. My thought, though, is that it's been ok for you in the past. I suppose it's possible your taste for it changed, I just don't know if it'd be that drastic.

Good luck, regardless.

Typos brought to you by: crapatalk!

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
HAHA yeah thanks huck, gonna search for a secondary coconut as well for the time being....any suggestions appreciated!
BCF does sell FA in original bottles, maybe try them.

Side note Shaun Casey the President of FA North America was on a live stream with Jenn on DIY Mixology on YouTube. He's a vaper and a mixer and he doesn't just mix with FA...

Jenn is a hardcore mixer, check out all the stuff she has...

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They are gonna start phasing those out, so if they have one, now would be the time to try one.
Im guessing best bet is to try to order from the manufacturer, at least they SHOULD care for and back up their product more than a distributor would. Only thing is im definitely gonna have to start buying in bulk to do it. Itd be cool if a bunch of folks ordered together and split bottles to save money. I gotta start a local mixing club or something lol

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They are gonna start phasing those out, so if they have one, now would be the time to try one.

Yes and I really dislike that they are forced to do that. I understand why BCF has to do it from an economic viewpoint but as a consumer, I'm kinda pissed at FA as a result. I wasn't thrilled when FA decided to place their NA headquarters in Canada and then the new facility doesn't even produce the smaller 10 ml bottles, only wholesale quantities??? No offense to Canada but really, how much of the NA market does Canada even constitute? Yes, I know, it's a political and economic choice but still, it doesn't make me want to continue to give them my business. FA that is, not BCF.

Last edited:

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
HAHA yeah thanks huck, gonna search for a secondary coconut as well for the time being....any suggestions appreciated!

I've had trouble tasting FA Coconut for years and all I get is buttery taste, not a bad thing tho.
The INW Coconut Cookies I can actually taste the coconut, but not the cookies, lol.
Just guessing the regular Coconut must be decent too.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had trouble tasting FA Coconut for years and all I get is buttery taste, not a bad thing tho.
The INW Coconut Cookies I can actually taste the coconut, but not the cookies, lol.
Just curious, have you gotten different batches of it?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've only ever gotten that when combined with nut flavors.

Typos brought to you by: crapatalk!

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
....that they are not the actual FA ones but look similar I guess? This one was not shrink wrapped and had a tamper proof cap on it, wider and shorter than usual yet still brown.....

Did it have a hinge top and look similar to this?
FA0187A-TONNO-TUNA_iap2-zo.png
I recently got 3 FA flavors from ecx. Whilethey had lot #, none carried an expiration date. Since these flavors were in their Liquidation section, I was a bit interested in that...:rolleyes:

Ron
---
"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain "-Dolly Parton

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OMG, you bought bottled TUNA? :eek:

Seriously though, that's one of the reasons I prefer original bottles ... they have dates on them and you have more reason to believe you are not getting flavor that has settled.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did it have a hinge top and look similar to this?
View attachment 75466
I recently got 3 FA flavors from ecx. Whilethey had lot #, none carried an expiration date. Since these flavors were in their Liquidation section, I was a bit interested in that...:rolleyes:

Ron
---
"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain "-Dolly Parton
Definitely not I've never seen those or gotten any even from BCV....the hinge bottles that is, not the tuna!

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Definitely not I've never seen those or gotten any even from BCV....the hinge bottles that is, not the tuna!

I got those type of bottles from BCF the last time I ordered Original packaging. Those original bottles suck. Two of them I need to use tape to keep them closed. I dislike those bottles so much, I prefer to now order FA re bottled.:eek:

Ron
---
"It's the way you ride the trail that counts."- Dale Evans

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just curious, have you gotten different batches of it?

My 1st bottle came in original bottle.
Drip taste on finger I get a hint of Coconut but the taste seems to disappear in mixes.
Probably should have tried using a higher amount, but heard somewhere it tastes funky if used too high.
Just never bothered to try it again.
FW Coconut, TFA Coconut, TFA Coconut Candy, CAP Coconut, CAP White Coconut, & INW Coconut Cookies all taste stronger to me.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My 1st bottle came in original bottle.
Drip taste on finger I get a hint of Coconut but the taste seems to disappear in mixes.
Probably should have tried using a higher amount, but heard somewhere it tastes funky if used too high.
Just never bothered to try it again.
FW Coconut, TFA Coconut, TFA Coconut Candy, CAP Coconut, CAP White Coconut, & INW Coconut Cookies all taste stronger to me.

Where can I find the cap white coconut?

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Strange I can't find it listed anywhere either, maybe it was discontinued.
Think I bought it maybe 3 years ago so I can't remember where I bought it.
I was gonna try HS or SC coconut from bcv if anyone has opinions on those that may help too. Inw coconut cookies is a bit weak from what I heard but that was just a friend here. I was also looking at the Inw coconut but im not sure yet, still researching. ALL I KNOW is I cant go without coconut for long its driving me crazy lol its in so many of my fav recipes. Only other one I have now is dx coconut candy and I dont think that is gonna work out well, so far it seems even more bland or its just fading stuff idk yet but its not promising...

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was also looking at the Inw coconut but im not sure yet, still researching.

To add confusion to your research :) ...I don't use a heck of a lot of coconut and have only used these 3...
IMG_20170228_161128421_HDR.jpg
I popped the caps off them and gave them a sniff. The INW on the left smells a bit stronger but very similar to the FA. Both are re bottled. The originally INW bottled one on the right has a best use by date of 10/15. Too bad it's almost empty. :( By far it has the best coconut aroma of the litter.

Ron
---
"I was not proud of what I had learned but I never doubted that it was worth knowing."- Hunter S. Thompson

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To add confusion to your research :) ...I don't use a heck of a lot of coconut and have only used these 3...
View attachment 75468
I popped the caps off them and gave them a sniff. The INW on the left smells a bit stronger but very similar to the FA. Both are re bottled. The originally INW bottled one on the right has a best use by date of 10/15. Too bad it's almost empty. :( By far it has the best coconut aroma of the litter.

Ron
---
"I was not proud of what I had learned but I never doubted that it was worth knowing."- Hunter S. Thompson
Is the original bottle supposed to be the "same" flavor as the rebottled one?

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Is the original bottle supposed to be the "same" flavor as the rebottled one?

Yes..Exactly the same. In addition, I only bought the FA as it it the one posted in many of the recipes here. It does work well, perhaps even better IMHO, in many bakery recipes. Accurate but softer would be my best descriptor.

Ron
---
"Ain't nobody's business, if I bark like a dog."- Muddy Waters

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wish all companies had to put an expiration date on the flavorings. That would make me feel much better about purchasing in general.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have flavorings from 3 years ago that still taste fine. I think I've only had 2 that didn't taste right, that got tossed.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have flavorings from 3 years ago that still taste fine. I think I've only had 2 that didn't taste right, that got tossed.
Interesting, I do think some are stronger than others shelf-life wise but how do you keep your flavors stored?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Interesting, I do think some are stronger than others shelf-life wise but how do you keep your flavors stored?
Nothing drastic, not like my nic. I have stackable Sterlite totes that lock together. I keep my house kind of cool, year round, and the room they're in, no direct sunlight.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nothing drastic, not like my nic. I have stackable Sterlite totes that lock together. I keep my house kind of cool, year round, and the room they're in, no direct sunlight.
Same here and I put a towel over the tuppaware to keep out light and hopefully keep it cooler. My house is usually 74 degrees in the winter though not sure if thats it but I hope im not killin my flavors somehow. Maybe a lot of em just suck plain and simple lol....at least I know that wasnt the case with coconut, I loved that at first!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I hope you get it figured out. I'd be bummed if I lost my taste for coconut. I've lost taste for so many things outside of vaping, I want my vapes to be good. Simple pleasures, LOL.

VU Sponsors