Become a Patron!

Bad coils cousing hives and itching?

I've been using e-cigs/vape for almost 4 years now with no real problems. Three weeks ago I broke out in hives and blisters on my head shoulders arms and legs. It was so bad I went to the ER and the Doctor twice. I'm currently on steroids and zertec. I have narrowed it down to a few things and eliminated others. I recently bought new coils for my baby beast tank a 5 pac of the Q2. I also tried some new juice from a company called Vista Vapor. the flavor was wild berry 3mg max vg. Someone had suggested it could be the coils or a bad metal in the coil and others are having reactions to them also. I believe it could be my mod (AL85) because all the paint is gone. Has anyone else had problems with smok coils or mods and allergic reactions? or Vista vapes E juice?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most likely the juice.
Or something not related to vaping at all.
maybe a Christmas decoration?
Eat any Fruitcake lately?
Change shampoos?

But then I am not nor ever have been a doctor.
I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once though ;)

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not a doctor either, but I can tell you that my husband cannot take steroids in any way, shape, or form orally without the same reaction as yours. Through an IV in a hospital, fine, but orally, NO. The last bout got him diagnosed with Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, which involves the itchy blisters from top to toe, and even his skin sloughing off. It's no joke and can be deadly. Not saying that's your case, please pursue all avenues, but it just sounds very similar to what I've seen in him.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Sounds very much like a bad reaction/food allergy I once experienced.

Never did manage to identify what I had eaten to spark it.

Thankfully, it was a one-shot deal and never happened again.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I've been using e-cigs/vape for almost 4 years now with no real problems. Three weeks ago I broke out in hives and blisters on my head shoulders arms and legs. It was so bad I went to the ER and the Doctor twice. I'm currently on steroids and zertec. I have narrowed it down to a few things and eliminated others. I recently bought new coils for my baby beast tank a 5 pac of the Q2. I also tried some new juice from a company called Vista Vapor. the flavor was wild berry 3mg max vg. Someone had suggested it could be the coils or a bad metal in the coil and others are having reactions to them also. I believe it could be my mod (AL85) because all the paint is gone. Has anyone else had problems with smok coils or mods and allergic reactions? or Vista vapes E juice?

I've broken out in insanely-itchy hives from VG in the past, but never so bad as to require the ER or meds. I DIY, so by process of elimination (flavoring, nic, PG, VG...) I determined VG was my problem and switched to a different source to solve it.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've broken out in insanely-itchy hives from VG in the past, but never so bad as to require the ER or meds. I DIY, so by process of elimination (flavoring, nic, PG, VG...) I determined VG was my problem and switched to a different source to solve it.
Soy based VG maybe?

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First thing I'd try is different juice (on a new coil if using premade coil heads so you're not still vaping through the old juice in the same cotton). Highly doubt it's the mod, the rash would likely be a contact rash starting on your hand where you're holding it and it's coming in contact with the skin. It 'could' be any number of things, metal type of the coil, that particular coil if it was made wrong with bad wire or something, juice etc.

As others pointed out, it could be something totally unrelated and just coincidental. I got a nasty allergic reaction several times and the only common denominator was that I'd just eaten hamburger. The hives would hit in various places, sometimes my legs, sometimes my back. It happened in my mouth and throat, couldn't hardly breathe. Anywhere I touched my body, the hives would spread and break out (meaning my tongue so much as touching my teeth or cheeks). Best guess the doctor could figure, the particular beef I'd consumed was from an injection site on the cow and I had an allergy to any number of routine meds they inject cows with.

It was frustrating because it would occur once, then I'd consume hamburger 3, 4 or 5 times without a reaction. Then out of the blue, bam. Didn't matter if it was grilled as burgers, fried up in tacos, cooked in with chili. To this day I keep a bottle of children's benedryl handy. Sounds dumb but the liquid seems to metabolize faster than pill or tablet form.

If you decide to go that route, just don't accidentally take a big swig of it. My throat started to swell shut again so I grabbed the bottle and knocked it back, ended up being around 1/3 to 1/2 the bottle in my rush and wasn't thinking. I was so wired and jittery, shaking I felt like I was gonna leap out of my skin. Poison control asked for my weight and how much I'd taken, said I'd be fine riding it out. Had I taken more I might need to go to the e.r., so it's possible to ingest too much.

Best thing to do would be to contact a doctor though. Maybe have them check to make sure you're not having a reaction to any meds. Try to take note of what happened before the hives, had you eaten, how long ago and what you'd eaten etc. Hard to say about the juice, I've tried vista vapor and didn't especially care for it but it didn't make me ill. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, every one of us could vape their juice without issue and if there's something with it that reacts to you specifically you'll still be susceptible to it.

I slacked off the vape with little or no change. I'm following up with a dermatologist after the new year. My Dr said he didn't think pg or vg was the couse of my itching or welts. I'm vapeing a max vg from a local store now. they recommended that I vape max vg or atleast a 80/20 blend. I also went to the x4 coils incase I had a bad batch. I plan on not vapeing a day or two to see if my rash clears up or not. this has been a nightmare
the steroids are the only thing that helps and i'm on my second round

I slacked off the vape with little or no change. I'm following up with a dermatologist after the new year. My Dr said he didn't think pg or vg was the couse of my itching or welts. I'm vapeing a max vg from a local store now. they recommended that I vape max vg or atleast a 80/20 blend. I also went to the x4 coils incase I had a bad batch. I plan on not vapeing a day or two to see if my rash clears up or not. this has been a nightmare
the steroids are the only thing that helps and i'm on my second round

So did you figure out what the issues were that caused you to break out so bad since you switched over to new juice, and new coils? Did the doctors run some allergy test to see if the juice you were using at the time it occurred might have caused your break out?

VU Sponsors