Become a Patron!

Bad Nic?

Artdragon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How do you know your Nic is bad? Mine doesn't expire till 1/17/17 but it's kinda dark and I find if I chain smoke, I feel nauseous. It also smells like a hamster cage that hasn't been changed in a month

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It also smells like a hamster cage that hasn't been changed in a month

That's enough to make me stop using it..
Where do you keep it?
You should keep it in a cool dark place, away from air.

Artdragon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Where do you keep it?
You should keep it in a cool dark place, away from air.
It is. Its in a glass cabinet in my kitchen thats kept pretty cool

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Could begin with you nic; don't buy that brand any more.
Store the nic in the freezer, tightly sealed, in glass bottles. No air in the bottle is preferred.
Take it out and use what's needed out of one bottle, then seal and put it back.
No room temperatures, no air; that's ideal.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

yep - that would be a stop sign for me too.

It is. Its in a glass cabinet in my kitchen thats kept pretty cool

I transfer to small brown glass boston rounds (like 120ml) then box and refrigerate or freeze.
Breaking it up into smaller bottles helps to keep it from oxidizing as fast.

Light / Heat / Air - are what kills it.

Artdragon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Gotcha. I did not know that. I make juice quite frequently, so i think freezing the bulk of my stores would be good but what about thawing for use? Or is it like alcohol?

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Gotcha. I did not know that. I make juice quite frequently, so i think freezing the bulk of my stores would be good but what about thawing for use? Or is it like alcohol?

I get 100%pg base nic .. it won't actually freeze.. I fill up 15/30 ml bottles at a time from the 120ml in the freezer and leave them in the fridge in a light plastic container (no kids in household) then just pull that out b4 i mix.. 20 30 mins later it's at room temp or there abouts.

currently using chemnic and Vaperstek TH

https://www.chemnic.com/
http://www.vaperstek.org/

nicselect / nicotine river / liquid barn / Nude Nicotine are some others highly regarded.. check out some of the nicotine threads here.. some discounts are available as well in those threads.

Bottom line is, it's all personal taste.. best bet is to order up a sample or small amount and taste for yourself .. then order more of what you like.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Heard good things about it .. most likely you just got too much air / heat for it to turn like that.. how old is it actually?

Artdragon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Heard good things about it .. most likely you just got too much air / heat for it to turn like that.. how old is it actually?
And i think you're right. I wasn't quite sure how to store it properly, so I probably helped it age early

Artdragon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahh. Yeah that stuff oxidizes prematurely. Also mutes flavorings a lot. Even when I had a fresh batch. It tasted like a cigarette but. That explains why your Inawera mixes taste like shit.
Well dammit lol. Yeah, i just made 3 0mg juices and they taste pretty good. I just miss the nic hit. What brand do you suggest for best flavor compliment that offers 100mg VG based nic?

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well dammit lol. Yeah, i just made 3 0mg juices and they taste pretty good. I just miss the nic hit. What brand do you suggest for best flavor compliment that offers 100mg VG based nic?

I prefer Carolina Xtract because its cold extracted instead of using chemicals. But, I'm hearing great things about Hiliq.

Artdragon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I prefer Carolina Xtract because its cold extracted instead of using chemicals. But, I'm hearing great things about Hiliq.
I wonder if they have samples :) i only use 3mg, so i don't need a big bottle unless the FDA gets outta hand lol

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Are you shipping to the united states?

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The code may be "case sensitive" cut and paste and see if that works,
If not open a "live chat" window and I'm sure they will help you with the free shipping code.
I'm going to bed, I'll check back on this thread in the morning.

Artdragon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The code may be "case sensitive" cut and paste and see if that works,
If not open a "live chat" window and I'm sure they will help you with the free shipping code.
I'm going to bed, I'll check back on this thread in the morning.
Thank you so much for that. I think my nic select is a 125ml which I got about a year and a half ago, so as long as I freeze this, the 250ml should last me more than 3 years, right? I'm at 3mg & 0mg for my niece.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Def hear good things re the Carolina Xtract, little pricey for me right now tho. Might try to order some come winter time.. won't chance the heat of shipping for something like that.

100ml of 100mg/ml for $10
http://www.hiliq.com/unflavored-100-mg-ml-nicotine-base-100ml
Use code "HiLIQUSVapeShows" to get free shipping.

'Code' !? yep yep.. sucker for a discount.. thanks for the code RMarcusY!

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you so much for that. I think my nic select is a 125ml which I got about a year and a half ago, so as long as I freeze this, the 250ml should last me more than 3 years, right? I'm at 3mg & 0mg for my niece.

Could - 2, 3 years is not unreasonable. Maybe order up some 15/30ml brown boston round glass bottles with the
Phenolic cone caps to portion them out with.. Can get them cheap on ebay.

Or go nuts and go an extra step and use a 'wine saver', can of compressed gas I got on amazon for replacing the air in a bottle with inert gas..

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Def hear good things re the Carolina Xtract, little pricey for me right now tho. Might try to order some come winter time.. won't chance the heat of shipping for something like that.
Yes its pricey stuff. I've had mine for over a year. I keep it in a closet. It still remains clear. I lived in the Fl. Keys at the time. :) Highly recommended.

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
"HiLIQUSVapeShows"

I think you need to add the s after shows

Thanks for spell checking their code.
It does require the "s" at the end.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
And i think you're right. I wasn't quite sure how to store it properly, so I probably helped it age early

I split mine up into smaller bottles when I pull a new jug of NIC out of the freezer.
Shake well before mixing, and you can dilute the 100mg by 50% down to 50mg at the same time using PG or VG, make a 50/50 base or whatever.
Put all the smaller bottles back in the freezer, except for 1 or 2 your going to be using, I keep 2x30ml drip tip bottles out, stick one in the fridge if worried.
All the others for back in the freezer go into 60ml or 120ml glass bottles.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
split mine up into smaller bottles when I pull a new jug of NIC out of the freezer.
Shake well before mixing, and you can dilute the 100mg by 50% down to 50mg at the same time using PG or VG, make a 50/50 base or whatever.
Put all the smaller bottles back in the freezer, except for 1 or 2 your going to be using, I keep 2x30ml drip tip bottles out, stick one in the fridge if worried.
All the others for back in the freezer go into 60ml or 120ml glass bottles.

I never even thought of that -> "I keep 2x30ml drip tip bottles out,"

Your using regular plastic flavor dropper bottles? or something else? yorkers maybe?

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I never even thought of that -> "I keep 2x30ml drip tip bottles out,"

Your using regular plastic flavor dropper bottles? or something else? yorkers maybe?

Na, just the regular ones you can put juice into, or the ones that flavoring comes in will work too, same thing I suppose.
It's just easier for me to measure my 0.6ml of NIC base into the top of a 1ml glass syringe and then add to my mix last.
Don't bother using a scale for NIC, PG, or VG as I don't need that kind of precision.

Artdragon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I didn't even think about the heat during shipping. I just ordered a 250ml from hiliq with the free shipping coupon

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Na, just the regular ones you can put juice into, or the ones that flavoring comes in will work too, same thing I suppose. It's just easier for me to measure my 0.6ml of NIC base into the top of a 1ml glass syringe and then add to my mix last.
Don't bother using a scale for NIC, PG, or VG as I don't need that kind of precision.

yeah ez enuff to add nic when it's all the same... my thought is if I do that then I don't have to wash the syringe for the nic! Was just very ocd re keeping the NIC in glass etc. That will save a little bit of time and bother when mixing. thanx man.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I didn't even think about the heat during shipping. I just ordered a 250ml from hiliq with the free shipping coupon

Not sure where they are located or you for that matter but it's a factor I try to consider if I have to order during the summer. Prefer to order in the winter months for that reason but when you need to order NIC, you just have to order. Postal service delivers late in the day here so I will find the carrier in the AM and ask them if I can grab that package early then straight into the fridge till I can package it for the freezer. Hey at least you are getting new NIC! That will make your mixes much better! :)

Artdragon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure where they are located or you for that matter but it's a factor I try to consider if I have to order during the summer. Prefer to order in the winter months for that reason but when you need to order NIC, you just have to order. Postal service delivers late in the day here so I will find the carrier in the AM and ask them if I can grab that package early then straight into the fridge till I can package it for the freezer. Hey at least you are getting new NIC! That will make your mixes much better! :)
Yeah, def! Ive been vaping my 0mg and it just feels lacking, like there's no TH at all bc of my high VG mixes

PuffOn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I was also going to order a ltr from HiLiq.
Just went to their site, and it appears they are in Shanghai?
Now I'm concerned the nic will be in transit a few weeks.
If they ship DHL it may only take a few days tho.
Did you get a shipping notice yet?

Artdragon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was also going to order a ltr from HiLiq.
Just went to their site, and it appears they are in Shanghai?
Now I'm concerned the nic will be in transit a few weeks.
If they ship DHL it may only take a few days tho.
Did you get a shipping notice yet?
Not yet. They emailed me and said my payment didn't go through and i had to send it via PayPal

Darkalchemistvapors

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
When I began mixing I had a good trick for storing my nic.

1) If you are doing it for yourself and you bought a highly concentrated nic. (60 mg or more) take a small amount (about 30 ml) and pour it on a small bottle. You will be mixing from the nic on this bottle. 30 ml of strong nic will let you mix quite a few batches. The idea behind this is that those 30 ml will be the ones constantly exposed to air because you will be opening the bottle each time that you have to mix. If it goes bad you will only loose 30 ml at most. That bottle should be stored on your fridge at least and if possible use an amber glass bottle. Keep refilling that bottle 30 ml at a time.

2) The store bought bottle (the large original one, the one that you are taking 30 ml out). Once the seal is broken you should expose it to air as little as possible, which means try to open it an close it as fast as possible. The trick that I used was to put PTFE tape (plumbers tape) around the top pf the bottle then screw the cap on. That will create an airtight seal. Then keep the bottle on the freezer. When you have to take it out, let it warm a little (which means take it out of the freezer and let it stand for about 10 min) then shake it to ensure even distribution of the contents. Open it, pour out the nic that you need, PTFE tape again the to the freezer.

By it's nature, nicotine oxidizes very easily so If you find a weird smell or it becomes too dark throw it away.

VU Sponsors