Become a Patron!

Bad taste after cleaning

Danimal77

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I cleaned my baby beast coils with alcohol and hot water by letting them soak then let them dry for a day now tastes like dirt when I take a vape any suggestions

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If the coils were the prebuilt, don't try to clean them, just buy new ones. I believe you would have to dry them COMPLETELY if you did try to clean and reuse if you absolutely must.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You did change the actual wick? I know it seems obvious, but I know people that tried cleaning them without replacing the cotton/ wick material......

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I cleaned my baby beast coils with alcohol and hot water by letting them soak then let them dry for a day now tastes like dirt when I take a vape any suggestions

They need longer than a day to dry. The wicking is probably still wet inside.

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yep. If you don't let everything DRY completely, a wet sock vape will be in your future. Something about water and other liquids including alcohol, not e juice, gives it that taste, in a harsh manner. Like a dry hit x's 2.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep. If you don't let everything DRY completely, a wet sock vape will be in your future. Something about water and other liquids including alcohol, not e juice, gives it that taste, in a harsh manner. Like a dry hit x's 2.
Not to mention cotton breaks down with the heat and moisture as with all organic substances ;)

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not to mention cotton breaks down with the heat and moisture as with all organic substances ;)

Horseshit.

People have been heating and washing cotton since they started making cloth out of the stuff. Besides, before cotton bacon and other vape specific offerings, we all boiled cotton balls for use as wicking in Drippers.

Or maybe you don't wash your clothes. I do.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Horseshit.

People have been heating and washing cotton since they started making cloth out of the stuff. Besides, before cotton bacon and other vape specific offerings, we all boiled cotton balls for use as wicking in Drippers.

yeah right, washing AND drying is a lot different than it constantly sitting in liquid, wet and being heated. Guess you don't know what composting is eh?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I sometimes use isopropyl on this or that (followed by thorough rinsing!), but not on coils. One of the things I like about "normal" single-wire coils is how they can be dry-burned so easily, a fair number of times before the coil needs to be replaced. I do rinse them in purified water between pulses, but after the last rinse, I again pulse very briefly, just to dry the coil before wicking it -- and yeah, always with a fresh wick. I've tried re-using wicks, and it really only works with silica, because it can be dry-burned too, and then only once or twice before they're toast. Everyone has their own preference for wicking material, but I never found silica much good for conveying flavor.

I've sometimes gotten an off or bad taste from this or that atty, even after cleaning, and I've found that taking it all apart, rinsing, and then boiling for 5-15 minutes, really helps get rid of the sticky deposits that can trap a foul taste.

Andria

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah right, washing AND drying is a lot different than it constantly sitting in liquid, wet and being heated. Guess you don't know what composting is eh?

:rolleyes:

LOL. I've had cotton wicks sitting liquid for years. And being oil lamp wicks they see their share of heat.

Composting requires bacteria, bugs, worms and etc. There's none of that stuff in my juice.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
:rolleyes:

LOL. I've had cotton wicks sitting liquid for years. And being oil lamp wicks they see their share of heat.
What ever you say there Slick -

"Cotton: Cotton is one of the most biodegradable fabrics you can have, especially if it is 100% cotton. In a compost, cotton may biodegrade within as little as a week but usually takes about 5 months. Linen: This very fine material can decompose in as little as two weeks if it is all natural"

http://www.hearts.com/ecolife/surprising-textiles-compost/

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What ever you say there Slick -

"Cotton: Cotton is one of the most biodegradable fabrics you can have, especially if it is 100% cotton. In a compost, cotton may biodegrade within as little as a week but usually takes about 5 months. Linen: This very fine material can decompose in as little as two weeks if it is all natural"

http://www.hearts.com/ecolife/surprising-textiles-compost/

Again, composting requires bacteria and other cool little bugs. There are no bugs in my juice, Hoss.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Again, composting requires bacteria and other cool little bugs. There are no bugs in my juice, Hoss.
OK one last time addressing your obsessive lunacy of saying Cotton will not break down.

"Cotton degradation is usually attributed to oxidation, hydrolysis or both. Oxidation of cellulose can lead to two types of so-called oxy-cellulose, depending on the environment, in which the oxidation takes place
Cotton can also degrade by exposure to visible and ultraviolet light, especially in the presence of high temperatures around 250~397° and humidity. Cotton fibers are extremely susceptible to any biological degradation (microorganisms, fungi etc."

http://www.swicofil.com/products/001cotton.html

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Horseshit.

I don't taste my clothing so I have no clue if the cotton tastes like it did when I bought it...
But why do I need to buy new socks if cotton doesn't break down?

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't taste my clothing so I have no clue if the cotton tastes like it did when I bought it...
But why do I need to buy new socks if cotton doesn't break down?

Oh my god. You literally have me laughing my ass off.

Wear anything you like, plastic if you wish, on your feet(or anywhere). The fucking things will wear out. The fucking tires on your car are not biodegradable but for some strange reason the fucking things wear out. Your socks are not breaking down genius, they are wearing out. Mostly from friction. There is no friction in a coil.

That was funny. Thanks, I needed that. The internet is fun at times. Pseudoscience replaces common sense. In the real world, we call it "wear and tear" and it works on the hardest of materials, biodegradable or not.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK one last time addressing your obsessive lunacy of saying Cotton will not break down.

"Cotton degradation is usually attributed to oxidation, hydrolysis or both. Oxidation of cellulose can lead to two types of so-called oxy-cellulose, depending on the environment, in which the oxidation takes place
Cotton can also degrade by exposure to visible and ultraviolet light, especially in the presence of high temperatures around 250~397° and humidity. Cotton fibers are extremely susceptible to any biological degradation (microorganisms, fungi etc."

http://www.swicofil.com/products/001cotton.html

LOL. I didn't say cotton will not break down. Cotton will not break down under the conditions in a coil in a couple wash cycles.

Cotton in a coil is not exposed to light, visible or ultraviolet, in any significant amount. Oxidation is reduced because the cotton is in PG/VG with very little O2 in it. (the fluid surounds the fibers preventing O2 from getting on them.

That's why your source uses words like "depending on the environment". Cherry picking science to make a point is called pseudoscience.

I have oil lamps with cotton wicks that are 10 years old.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL. I didn't say cotton will not break down. Cotton will not break down under the conditions in a coil in a couple wash cycles.

Cotton in a coil is not exposed to light, visible or ultraviolet, in any significant amount. Oxidation is reduced because the cotton is in PG/VG with very little O2 in it. (the fluid surounds the fibers preventing O2 from getting on them.

That's why your source uses words like "depending on the environment". Cherry picking science to make a point is called pseudoscience.

Aaah you did to there Slick responding to my post that Cotton Breaks down .........

I'm certainly not the one cherry picking there Slick

Horseshit.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Aaah you did to there Slick responding to my post that Cotton Breaks down .........

I'm certainly not the one cherry picking there Slick

Yes, you are the one cherry picking, Hoss. My response to your post was in context to your post about the cotton in a coil.

Not to mention cotton breaks down with the heat and moisture as with all organic substances

You were the one that brought up composting, ultraviolet light, oxidation and anything else you could find. Unfortunately, the subject is still cotton in a coil that is not subject to the environments of composting, ultraviolet light or oxidation. We're still talking about coils and your post is still horseshit.

My post(s), have been about cotton in a coil. Your posts have been about everything,,,,,,,,,,,,,,else.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, you are the one cherry picking, Hoss. My response to your post was in context to your post about the cotton in a coil.

You were the one that brought up composting, ultraviolet light, oxidation and anything else you could find. Unfortunately, the subject is still cotton in a coil that is not subject to the environments of composting, ultraviolet light or oxidation. We're still talking about coils and your post is still horseshit.

My post(s), have been about cotton in a coil. Your posts have been about everything,,,,,,,,,,,,,,else.
What ever you say there Slick .... :deadhorse:

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Ok sooo, when you puff on the atomizer are you not drawing in oxygen to a very high temperature area? As everyone knows a higher amount of oxidation occurs in high temperature. I'm not even sure why you think a little bit of e-juice would protect the cotton from oxidation in such an environment but it's just flat wrong.

As for your oil lamp, are you telling us you have an ever lasting wick? You never have to turn the knob to raise it? The wick never burns? I would love to buy one if that were the case. Where did you get it? Willy Wonka?

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok sooo, when you puff on the atomizer are you not drawing in oxygen to a very high temperature area? As everyone knows a higher amount of oxidation occurs in high temperature. I'm not even sure why you think a little bit of e-juice would protect the cotton from oxidation in such an environment but it's just flat wrong.

As for your oil lamp, are you telling us you have an ever lasting wick? You never have to turn the knob to raise it? The wick never burns? I would love to buy one if that were the case. Where did you get it? Willy Wonka?

LOL.

No, I rarely use my oil lamps. Only during power outage, they work better than candles. So, the wick sits there for months, soaking in oil, until the power goes out again.

You don't burn allot of wick that way. They do look good hanging up. :wait:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fucking hilarious thread :giggle: If it starts to taste bad, just replace the coil head. If you want to save money. Learn how to build.
Yes it is, the shit that comes out of Time's Pie hole makes me think of the old saying. Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Anyway one could attempt to clean and reuse toilet paper, but why?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes it is, the shit that comes out of Time's Pie hole makes me think of the old saying. Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Because everybody isn't as cool as you and don't build. Most have been cleaning coils for quite some time. But, you're a vaping god. You know best. Just ask ya. :crazy:

You don't use prebuilt coils, don't clean prebuilt coils but you got your two cents anyhow. LOL.

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Because everybody isn't as cool as you and don't build. Most have been cleaning coils for quite some time. But, you're a vaping god. You know best. Just ask ya. :crazy:
If you ever pulled your head out of your ass you'd notice what a complete fool you're making out of yourself.

But oh well, it is what it is.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Time is a good dude. He's just having a little fun :giggle:

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The problem lies in the fact that he is misleading people. If he were to be mumbling this BS to himself nobody would care to interject, but he's not so people do.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The problem lies in the fact that he is misleading people. If he were to be mumbling this BS to himself nobody would care to interject, but he's not so people do.

LOL. Misleading people? I've been cleaning prebuilt coils years longer than you've been a member here. Lots of threads on VU about cleaning prebuilt coils but your a bit wet behind the ears having only been a member for a couple months, boy.

You've yet to even address the OP.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL. Misleading people? I've been cleaning prebuilt coils years longer than you've been a member here. Lots of threads on VU about cleaning prebuilt coils but your a bit wet behind the ears having only been a member for a couple months, boy.

Oh well, I guess we're not as cool as you.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Oh well, I guess we're not as cool as you.

I dunno, from a comment he made earlier, apparently coil builders are THE coolest, and hell I've been building coils since april 2014. I was dry-burning bought coils before that of course, but I just HAD to learn that cool coil-building, because I'm much too SMART to keep paying for something I can make for myself. :giggle: 'Course, the coils I was buying were like $6/5pk... and I think the ones you guys are talking about are about $6/PER COIL... so I guess it just makes sense to do whatever you can to clean those, just to keep from going broke!

Andria

Bigjay1978

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When I used my aspire cleato tank, I tried cleaning and reusing them. It worked OK I guess. After cleaning I could run another 20mls of juice threw the coil before it was nasty again. I just gave up and got into rebuilding. Much more efficient in my opinion.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I used my aspire cleato tank, I tried cleaning and reusing them. It worked OK I guess. After cleaning I could run another 20mls of juice threw the coil before it was nasty again. I just gave up and got into rebuilding. Much more efficient in my opinion.

Building is better but some people don't want to. I do both. I keep a tank and prebuilt coils around because sometimes I just don't have time to mess with wicking and wrapping coils.

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, it's impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

Zander

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use an RDA (and that's all I use after trying everything else out) and they rule!

When I get ready to change ejuice I first take everything apart (only when changing ejuice flavors), I will save the coils and throw away the cotton bacon and then wash everything with Dawn soap. I then let everything soak in apple cider vinegar for a day, then I take a old toothbrush and pour baking soda in the cup that has the RDA , etc in it and it will fizz up. I then take everything out and give it a good scrubbing with the toothbrush and Dawn soap and then let everything dry overnight (in front of the heat duct). Then I will take a Q tip and clean everything. Pop in some new coils, put in new "Cotton Bacon" load it up with ejuice and vape.

It works great! :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use an RDA (and that's all I use after trying everything else out) and they rule!

When I get ready to change ejuice I first take everything apart (only when changing ejuice flavors), I will save the coils and throw away the cotton bacon and then wash everything with Dawn soap. I then let everything soak in apple cider vinegar for a day, then I take a old toothbrush and pour baking soda in the cup that has the RDA , etc in it and it will fizz up. I then take everything out and give it a good scrubbing with the toothbrush and Dawn soap and then let everything dry overnight (in front of the heat duct). Then I will take a Q tip and clean everything. Pop in some new coils, put in new "Cotton Bacon" load it up with ejuice and vape.

you just may be the cleanest RDA user of all time wow!! only thing I do is rinse it with hot water unless I have been vaping some weird Tiramisu or something then I may soak in dawn a few mintues. you may be RDA OCD

Last edited:

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Jeesh!
I love my RDA because I DON'T have to do all that to it. :teehee:
I will bet that yours tastes much better than new, every time you change a flavor. I use the hot water and dawn, but will totally be fine only wiping it out with a paper towel and a cotton swab if I don't have water and dawn handy.

Tanks, on the other hand, need all that IMHO.

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dry burning and rewicking a coil in an RDA is one thing, trying to clean pre made coil heads is another.
Exactly! Save money and get good flavor with the rebuildable deck or just drip.

I just cleaned my baby beast tank with dawn, then vinegar soak, rinsed and dried, and installed the last premade coil. Primed it up and vaped. Still dont like it as much as the dripping. The tank will be for when I can't possibly drip, which I have gotten kind of good at on the go anyway. lol

Edit: I will add that my husband sucks up much more juice with his baby beast than what we do when we drip. Less juice, less spent.

Zander

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Jeesh!
I love my RDA because I DON'T have to do all that to it. :teehee:
I will bet that yours tastes much better than new, every time you change a flavor. I use the hot water and dawn, but will totally be fine only wiping it out with a paper towel and a cotton swab if I don't have water and dawn handy.

Tanks, on the other hand, need all that IMHO.
Right on the tanks. I only do that intense cleaning if I'm switching to a whole different flavor of ejuice. If I'm using the same ejuice I just wash it out with Dawn soap and rinse with hot water (using gloves because our hot water is scolding hot, LOL!

Zander

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You know that not everyone that uses an RDA is a kick butt coil builder. I get people to make my coils or I buy them from here...

https://maxvaping.com/products/coils?variant=19834148420

They sell some pretty good ones and they also have some pretty bad ones too. Try the variety pack first.

Variety: 2 of each - Clapton 26/32, Alien, Staggered Fused Clapton, Tank Track, Interlocked Alien.

Zander

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you just may be the cleanest RDA user of all time wow!! only thing I do is rinse it with hot water unless I have been vaping some weird Tiramisu or something then I may soak in dawn a few mintues. you may be RDA OCD
LOL! Hehehe...

VU Sponsors