Become a Patron!

Bad taste with new cotton

Can someone please help out... after changing the cotton in my cloud beast.. i get a very bad taste, I always make sure that I soak the cotton before i start vaping.. but still it tastes like old tin..

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
What kind of coil are you rewicking and how old is it?

Using claptons... they came with the tank, only two months of use in them.. i have the same ones in my clito 120 and been using sameones for over 9 months with no taste issues.

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Can someone please help out... after changing the cotton in my cloud beast.. i get a very bad taste, I always make sure that I soak the cotton before i start vaping.. but still it tastes like old tin..
Make sure that any section of the cotton that you touch ends up being thrown away. It's really easy to handle the cotton while you're working with it and it will end up messing up the flavor. That's what is happening to a lot of people that mention their cotton needing to break in before it tastes good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You could try priming the wick. Drip fire, drip some more, fire, do this a few times then assemble the tank. Vape away.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is it an rta? The cloud beast I looked up takes Smok coils. Guessing it has an rba section

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Uses same drop in coils for 9 months with no flavor issues. Makes new account for a forum post because of bad break in taste.

This is a meme I'm working on for this thread. I don't have a picture picked out yet though... so use your imaginations. Suggestions are welcome.

Welcome to VU OP?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Maybe some old juice hiding in the nooks and crannies somewhere. You might try soaking everything in some warm water if you don’t have an ultrasonic cleaner. Rinse and repeat a couple of times and see if that helps.

Carpe Nidor

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Make sure that any section of the cotton that you touch ends up being thrown away. It's really easy to handle the cotton while you're working with it and it will end up messing up the flavor. That's what is happening to a lot of people that mention their cotton needing to break in before it tastes good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
This!

Also I try to wash hands before rewicking and rinsing hands well.

Just normal skin oil on cotton will make it taste funky.
Just touch cotton on the ends and trim those off.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Of course if you hands are kinda funky dragging the wick thru the coil will deposit some hand funk on the inside of the coil.

Wicking time!

rewicktime.jpg

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Welcome to VU. In that you mentioned it tastes like metal you may very well have something up with your coils. If you have rewicked it and it still tastes funky it should be considered time to swap those coils. Just because another set lasted 9 months, does not guarantee this set will. Do hope you get it sorted and back on to happy delicious vaping.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A metal taste to me usually indicates a loose connection on one of the coils ends where they are clamped with a screw.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to get "metal"/iron flavor with ni80 - this was back in the ego and genny days.. I got past nichrome into kanthal and then SS316[L].. I got past ego's and shitty tube-mechs, too.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nowadays, shitty-flavor means:
  1. Change yer damned wattage
  2. Ejuice funk
  3. Wick funk
  4. Airflow funk
  5. The tank/rda is either an abomination or
  6. Gee, yer doing it ALL WRONG
I think we get a lot of people pushing the envelope cuz ">someone> sez so" or some youtuber or some other nonsense. "Clouds, bro" and other stupidities. Seriously, it's not complicated; it's not a battlefield and you don't inhale CS gas or smokescreens willingly - no one else wants to, either.

I've had well over a dozen atty - and mods - I didn't like for one or more reasons. They were valid for me - but someone else usually found them totally reasonable and desired.

VU Sponsors