Become a Patron!

Bad to mix batteries????

Cloud Chaser Isaiah

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In box mod is it bad to mixed batteries for example having a vtc4, and a vtc3 in a box mod together??

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Alright thanks bro helped me from having a box mod to a hand grenade
It becomes a really likely a mismatched set will fail and fail hard and fast.
While it MIGHT not detonate a handful of lithium ion bubbling at several hundred degrees is also not good.

Just a protip... if you ever have a Lithium Ion battery go gnarly and acid spitting DO NOT put water on it.. it will go from acid to FIRE.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
When you are using a dual battery mod ALWAYS use a married set of batteries.

"Till Death Do They Part".

And I also like reversing the left and right positions when I change them out as well.

battery bro

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
UncleRJ speaks the truth. Buy two and marry them like a couple o' penguins that never separate.

Shenzhen XTAR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
UncleRJ is right. Mixed usage of batteries will storten the lifespan of batteries. If different batteries are used in a mod, their discharging speed will not be the same. If the balance is broken, then the discharging rate of each battery much be different, but you can't see through the battery. Damges to battery have already cuased before you realized.

Obsidian...

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Depends on if you are talking about regulated, parallel mech or series mech... Only thing you'd really be okay running a mismatch set in is a series build but still no one would suggest it. Buy sets/run sets/retire sets together. If you are chasing in a mech go with 20Rs and buy a metric shit ton of them. Otherwise just grab sets of 25Rs

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Depends on if you are talking about regulated, parallel mech or series mech... Only thing you'd really be okay running a mismatch set in is a series build but still no one would suggest it. Buy sets/run sets/retire sets together. If you are chasing in a mech go with 20Rs and buy a metric shit ton of them. Otherwise just grab sets of 25Rs

No, the series setup is higher risk if one battery drains before the other because the more drained battery will be forced to put out the same current as the other one.

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Honestly if you have 2 batterys that are the same age and mah it won't csuse any problems. Mixing vtc 4s and 5s is a recipie for disaster

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Honestly if you have 2 batterys that are the same age and mah it won't csuse any problems. Mixing vtc 4s and 5s is a recipie for disaster

actually it can be a problem...even if the batteries are the same type and age...if the batteries haven't been run in a married pair in the box mod already.

Batteries that have been run as a single battery by themselves, especially in mechs, have developed a life and personality of their own and age at the own rate...just like people...just because you've got a pair of batteries that you've had for the same amount of time and used about the same doesn't make them equal...

they could have different internal resistance levels from stress and ware and if you start running them together, especially in series it can stress one more than the other more rapidly only leading to problems down the road. The only sure thing is to start off with a fresh married pair and only use them together in the mod they're meant for till the bitter end.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
actually it can be a problem...even if the batteries are the same type and age...if the batteries haven't been run in a married pair in the box mod already.

Batteries that have been run as a single battery by themselves, especially in mechs, have developed a life and personality of their own and age at the own rate...just like people...just because you've got a pair of batteries that you've had for the same amount of time and used about the same doesn't make them equal...

they could have different internal resistance levels from stress and ware and if you start running them together, especially in series it can stress one more than the other more rapidly only leading to problems down the road. The only sure thing is to start off with a fresh married pair and only use them together in the mod they're meant for till the bitter end.
+1
In addition, as @UncleRJ does, I'm switching the battery slots as well

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
To make things really simple, lets say you have two sets or more sets of married batteries.

Mark Set #1 as 1A and 1B with a marker. And set #2 2A and 2B. This way if you are charging more than on pair at a time, you won't get them mixed up and the A and B will make them easier to keep track of when you rotate between positions.

Also, I have pasted little Arrow Decals pointing toward the positive ends of all my batteries.

For some reason, all of my batteries die and need to be swapped out right before bed when I am tired or first thing in the morning before coffee has had a chance to kick in and these little messages I have left on my batteries really do help!

Obsidian...

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What matters is mah... A regulated box will drain the lower down very low due to it reading overall battery lvl. In a mech it's even worse.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Age and condition matters too.

Internal resistance of a cell changes over its life time. Capacity also changes Iver a cells lifetime. Just because it started off as having a capacity of 2500mAh, doesn't mean it will have after say 200 cycles. Pair that battery up with one that's done 20 cycles and you may as well have used two cells of differing capacity.

Cells are cheap, no point risking it.

Obsidian...

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
True... I'm just wanted to let people know that reg devices need pairs too. I've had customers come in to the shop after someone told them that in a regulated device they can use non paired. Only to open their device with a VCT4 and 5 and the 4 @ 2.4 volts and the 5 at 3.6... Not good

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
True... I'm just wanted to let people know that reg devices need pairs too. I've had customers come in to the shop after someone told them that in a regulated device they can use non paired. Only to open their device with a VCT4 and 5 and the 4 @ 2.4 volts and the 5 at 3.6... Not good

When you have mis-matched batteries, or batteries with different Mah and internal resistance ratings, one battery will "vampire" the other battery to keep the voltage discharge up, this creates all kinds of problems, including killing off your batteries prematurely and in the case of a mech box, possibly stressing them to the point of failure.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It becomes a really likely a mismatched set will fail and fail hard and fast.
While it MIGHT not detonate a handful of lithium ion bubbling at several hundred degrees is also not good.

Just a protip... if you ever have a Lithium Ion battery go gnarly and acid spitting DO NOT put water on it.. it will go from acid to FIRE.
Wow. Didn't know that.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You've spent all this money on a nice mod and atty, now spend a couple bucks getting a nice new set of matched batteries so you and your mod can have a happy and healthy and safe vaping experience....batteries are not the place to cheap out when it comes to vaping, neither is their charger as well. mismatched cells are just a bad thing waiting to happen.

VU Sponsors