Become a Patron!

Base Preparation

Pitt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've been trying to make my own juice, throwing flavors together and coming up with some good stuff, although there's something just not right. I'm missing components and am unsure which direction to go. I use E Juice Me Up as the calculator for 30-50 ml bottles and haven't increased the amounts at all.
What I'm wondering is how to approach making a large amount as my base without flavor or nicotine, and mixing those in to smaller bottles when needed. I'm currently waiting on a ninja blender to mix my base and put it in a couple 24oz bottles to store. I've never added distilled water and I'm asking how much is needed for the base? After base is mixed, I'm unsure of percentages and calculations for final products.
Does anybody understand what I'm talking about? Please help the newb

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You want to mix a large base mix?

Why do you need to add distilled water? Or are you mixing max VG?

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've been trying to make my own juice, throwing flavors together and coming up with some good stuff, although there's something just not right. I'm missing components and am unsure which direction to go. I use E Juice Me Up as the calculator for 30-50 ml bottles and haven't increased the amounts at all.
What I'm wondering is how to approach making a large amount as my base without flavor or nicotine, and mixing those in to smaller bottles when needed. I'm currently waiting on a ninja blender to mix my base and put it in a couple 24oz bottles to store. I've never added distilled water and I'm asking how much is needed for the base? After base is mixed, I'm unsure of percentages and calculations for final products.
Does anybody understand what I'm talking about? Please help the newb
either by weight or percentage is the way to measure large amounts

Pitt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You want to mix a large base mix?

Why do you need to add distilled water? Or are you mixing max VG?
I mix at 30/70. I was told by a local vender that I'm missing the distilled water and that's my problem. Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I mix at 30/70. I was told by a local vender that I'm missing the distilled water and that's my problem. Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Max VG mixers do sometimes used distilled water, but it's not at all a necessity. Some use it to thin the juice without having to use more PG. I would try it out in a small sample size before I'd try that with a large base mix first. If you're not having any wicking issues, I can't say that you NEED it.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No reason to use distilled water unless you can't/won't use PG.

Replacing any portion of the base with water will result in less vapor since water doesn't produce vapor you can see.

I make 0.5L 80VG/20PG 4mg batches of base and add the flavor later for smaller batches of e-liquid.
I'm taking into account that I'm going to use roughly 10% flavor, so expect to get slightly less nic and less VG for the end result.
If I add a bit less or a bit more flavor for a specific recipe then there's a slight variation but it's negligible.

Crago44

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What I'm wondering is how to approach making a large amount as my base without flavor or nicotine, and mixing those in to smaller bottles when needed. I'm currently waiting on a ninja blender to mix my base and put it in a couple 24oz bottles to store. I've never added distilled water and I'm asking how much is needed for the base?

If your making a 24oz base simple way to figure out measurements is times (use calculator) 24*.7=16.8oz and 24*.3=7.2 (but ELR or e juice me up does this for you)
For distilled water the most I've heard used is 10% or .1 on a calculator.
So take 16.8 ounces of VG and 7.2 ounces of pg and mix in the blender. If you want to add water do that when you add your flavorings and nicotine but not into the base.
Hope I didn't confuse you more. It's really easy but wil become confusing if you over think it

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Basic DIY 101 Question: I need to buy my Nic immediately. I was told that VG will not freeze. I plan on purchasing a large amount (4-8 liters). Yes, in case Armageddon happens I still have my vape vs. analogs again. I'm a high VG user. At least 70%. I have some at 100%. Do I get VG base or PG base for the long haul? I'll break up 2-3 liters in large and smaller Amber bottles. PLEASE HELP ASAP! Thanks so much!

Tick-Tock......:bomb:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've always read that PG nic stores better in the freezer. It's definitely easier to work with and shake up.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No reason to use distilled water unless you can't/won't use PG.

Replacing any portion of the base with water will result in less vapor since water doesn't produce vapor you can see.

I make 0.5L 80VG/20PG 4mg batches of base and add the flavor later for smaller batches of e-liquid.
I'm taking into account that I'm going to use roughly 10% flavor, so expect to get slightly less nic and less VG for the end result.
If I add a bit less or a bit more flavor for a specific recipe then there's a slight variation but it's negligible.

I also found that adding ANY water causes a lot of very unpleasant popping, but if one insists on using a huge amount of VG (like that 70%), then it may be necessary.

There's really no point in mixing up a "base" -- if you use an ejuice calculator, you know how much of each different thing to add, right when you're mixing the juice. Flavors are generally PG-based, though they can be VG-based, and adding them will mess up the ratio if you have a pre-mixed "base". The only way to be SURE that a juice has an exactly-specified PG/VG ratio is to mix everything at the same time.

I personally don't care for the eJuiceMeUp calc, because it doesn't allow you to specify a nic level for each separate ingredient -- which is necessary if you're mixing any pre-made juices, or adding something like WTA. I've always used this one: DIY E-Liquid Calculator Ten Flavors With Nicotine Plus PG/VG Adjusting -- because it allows you to specify the nic level AND the PG/VG ratio of each separate ingredient.

Andria

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Basic DIY 101 Question: I need to buy my Nic immediately. I was told that VG will not freeze. I plan on purchasing a large amount (4-8 liters). Yes, in case Armageddon happens I still have my vape vs. analogs again. I'm a high VG user. At least 70%. I have some at 100%. Do I get VG base or PG base for the long haul? I'll break up 2-3 liters in large and smaller Amber bottles. PLEASE HELP ASAP! Thanks so much!

Tick-Tock......:bomb:
Out of my experience, if you want to go above 80 VG with your mixes, you'll need 100 mg/ml Nicotine in VG. Otherwise, you can go with 100 mg/ml Nicotine in PG. I'm more in the 85-90 VG range. Therefore my Nicotine base is 100 mg/ml in VG.

VU Sponsors