Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Basic Understanding of the components of Vaping: Power

(1) Power: Power in personal vaporizers (e-cigs) is provided by batteries. Even though entire books can be written about the batteries we use in vaping, their chemical makeup, and safety, that is a topic for another thread. For my basic understanding purposes here, we are just going to consider a battery (of any type) a power supply. We use this power in one of typically two ways; UNREGULATED and REGULATED. Whether you are using a regulated or unregulated vaping device, power is the first essential element of vaping. It is what heats the element (coil) and vaporizes the liquid in the vaporizer. Again, there are entire books on understanding the physics of how resistance and electrical flow interact to create heat, but we are not discussing that here. What we are discussing is what we typically do with that supplied power. On the basic level, we just want to know how to use that power to vape. There are basically two types of personal vaporizers that are defined by the way they use the supplied power; again: Unregulated and Regulated.

a. Unregulated: These vaporizers are usually called “Mech Mods”. “Mech” refers to the fact that they are mechanical in nature. No wires or electronics are constructed within its’ makeup. “Mech” is just a shortened term for mechanical. And “Mod” refers to a time when people had to “modify” other items (such as flash lights) to make a vaping device/personal vaporizer. The term Mod is a holdover from the early days of vaping; hence the term “Mech Mod”. Since there are no electronics, you get the power output of the battery only. This is usually great when your battery is fresh off the charger, but as your battery uses its’ stored energy, the quality of your vape experience will degrade because there is less power to supply to the coil. Have you ever noticed how your flashlight shines bright when you place new batteries into it, and then becomes dimmer and dimmer as the batteries loose power? Same exact principal here. There are also no protection circuits to protect your battery from over draining, shorting, or other damage it may encounter while being used for vaping. That is the main reason why most new vaporers are advised against using mech mods when they first start out. We all make stupid mistakes when we first start a new experience, but if you make a mistake with a battery, it can lead to catastrophic failure of the battery. Catastrophic failure of a battery is called thermal runaway where it creates hot gasses that can violently expel at a high rate of speed. Place that within a metal tube, and you essentially have a pipe bomb held up to your face. Except for charging, there are no adjustments you can make to the power output. There are some control heads you can attach to, or put into, a mechanical mod, but then you have essentially created a regulated mod.

b. Regulated: We usually call these APV’s or Advanced Personal Vaporizers. These vaporizers take the power output of the battery and modify (regulate) it up or down in power by a series of electrical circuits. There are different ways in which the power output can be regulated (i.e.: pulse width modulation, etc.), but for basic understanding let’s just say that the power is regulated up or down based on how you set the vaporizer. This allows you to apply more or less power to the coils to tailor the vape experience to your wants, needs, or desires. These devices usually have a host of safety features that try to mitigate the dangers batteries and mistakes can subject the vaporer to; such as: short protection, reverse battery protection, accidental fire/timeout protection, over heating protection, etc… There is a lot more to learn about regulated devices, but they basically let you adjust the power coming from the battery up or down; which in turn gives you greater control of the vape experience without having to change coils, wicks, juice, or airflow. Again, the specifics of regulation can fill volumes of books, but we generally regulate the power with one of two ways of looking at the output: (1) Voltage, and (2) Power. These are two different ways of looking at the same thing because the output is still just electricity.

i. Voltage: When we adjust a vaporizer by voltage, we are adjusting the electricity we are applying to the circuit/coils. Which in turn makes the coil heat up hotter or cooler depending on if we choose a higher or lower setting. Adjusting a vaporizer in Voltage mode usually allows for finer tweaking of the vape experience. However, with finer tweaking also comes a little more fiddling as you change coils, toppers, etc…. If I change the resistance of the coil I am using, I have to change the voltage output to compensate.

ii. Power: When we adjust a vaporizer by power, we are adjusting the wattage, or amount of work the electricity is doing. The basic premise of power adjustment is that you can find a preferred vape experience and maintain that same experience with any coil resistance we place on our device; without changing (much) the power setting. Let’s say that I find that I like the vape experience at 10 watts using a 2.0 ohm (standard resistance) coil, but I want to change to a 1.5 ohm coil. The premise is that I will get the same vape experience without having to change the power setting (much!). It is considered more “set it and forget it” adjustment than when adjusting your vaporizer in voltage mode.

Nu2Mods

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good job with the easy to understand explanation. This needs to be pinned under the New Vapers Forum.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, we need a mod to move this over there!

MODS!

...MODS!!

Artisan Vaping

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
You can also look at the Power/Voltage control thing in a different way:

When a mod controls voltage, it samples and sets the output voltage at the atomizer connector (Duh!) according to a set point.

When a mod controls power, it samples both the voltage AND the current, and uses this to calculate a set point according to
the power output. It still controls the output voltage, though, the voltage and current cannot be controlled simultaneously.

So the output voltage is always the independent variable (i.e. the one which is controlled), its just that in VW mods the current
is sampled as well and used to determine how to set the voltage.

Also, never let anyone tell you that a Mod (or anything else) measures resistance. This is impossible, resistance cannot be measured
directly. The way resistance is CALCULATED is the voltage and current are measured and the resistance is calculated from that.

But resistance cannot be measured in and of itself, because it is the ratio of voltage over current.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good job with the easy to understand explanation. This needs to be pinned under the New Vapers Forum.
I didn't think it would be on par with some of the experts, so I put it here instead. I do have a very good grasp of the physics and electrical concepts to go a lot further, but wanted to keep it simple and easy to understand for those asking, "why a mech or regulated?". Just a very basic understanding so they can make a more informed decisions.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You can also look at the Power/Voltage control thing in a different way:

When a mod controls voltage, it samples and sets the output voltage at the atomizer connector (Duh!) according to a set point.

When a mod controls power, it samples both the voltage AND the current, and uses this to calculate a set point according to
the power output. It still controls the output voltage, though, the voltage and current cannot be controlled simultaneously.

So the output voltage is always the independent variable (i.e. the one which is controlled), its just that in VW mods the current
is sampled as well and used to determine how to set the voltage.

Also, never let anyone tell you that a Mod (or anything else) measures resistance. This is impossible, resistance cannot be measured
directly. The way resistance is CALCULATED is the voltage and current are measured and the resistance is calculated from that.

But resistance cannot be measured in and of itself, because it is the ratio of voltage over current.

As I agree, the main point was not to delve into more specifics than an average person moving past a Blu for the first time would want to consider.

Nu2Mods

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
As I agree, the main point was not to delve into more specifics than an average person moving past a Blu for the first time would want to consider.
Exactly why this should be pinned :) If you continue with this format of writing through the other categories such as atomizers and coils, you'll end up with a fine tutorial for those folks about to fly the Blu nest into the vaping skies.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Exactly why this should be pinned :) If you continue with this format of writing through the other categories such as atomizers and coils, you'll end up with a fine tutorial for those folks about to fly the Blu nest into the vaping skies.

That's "Kinda" the plan. I had started to describe something similar in another thread (http://www.vapingunderground.com/threads/help-please.2043/#post-14134) and just decided to see where I could take it. Though, I do not have a time line, I plan on completing a similar basic write up for the 5 basic components of vaping: Power, Coils, Wicking, Airflow, and Juice. Hopefully I haven't bitten off more than I can chew, but what the hell? At least I'll give it a good try. If I make any major mistakes, BELIEVE ME, the community will let me know.

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the well-written explanation! Is there a way we can "tag" threads, e.g., VV/VW, etc. so it makes it easier for searching? This is the exact same information that I was looking for... just didn't know where to find it. IMO, this belongs to the Start Here section - not buried in the General Discussion section.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the well-written explanation! Is there a way we can "tag" threads, e.g., VV/VW, etc. so it makes it easier for searching? This is the exact same information that I was looking for... just didn't know where to find it. IMO, this belongs to the Start Here section - not buried in the General Discussion section.
I guess you could ask a moderator???? I just never thought it was good enough. I leave alot of unanswered questions and only refer to the more important areas of safety and battery/power knowlege needed. There are a lot more people out there that could probably do better than I did. So, I put it in the general discussion.

Nu2Mods

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I guess you could ask a moderator???? I just never thought it was good enough. I leave alot of unanswered questions and only refer to the more important areas of safety and battery/power knowlege needed. There are a lot more people out there that could probably do better than I did. So, I put it in the general discussion.
"WE done Need..no....Mo-der-a-tors" (sung to Brick in the Wall)...hey Chowder, here's what ya do. Copy the full thread, then go over the the New Vapors, "What are Ecigs", start a new thread with the appropriate title and paste your information in there. Whenever you do more writeups, do the same. That'll work and if a moderator chews you out, tell 'em I sent ya. (this and $1.25 might get you a cup of coffee lol!)..ahem...got your back!

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
"WE done Need..no....Mo-der-a-tors" (sung to Brick in the Wall)...hey Chowder, here's what ya do. Copy the full thread, then go over the the New Vapors, "What are Ecigs", start a new thread with the appropriate title and paste your information in there. Whenever you do more writeups, do the same. That'll work and if a moderator chews you out, tell 'em I sent ya. (this and $1.25 might get you a cup of coffee lol!)..ahem...got your back!
Thanks bro! I'll see what can be done.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for sharing this post here, I am very glad to know about the different components of vaping power. I just know that there is having three main part of vaping that is:-
A power source
An atomizer
A cartridge
I would suggest that there are, in actualality, 5 main components of vaping:
(1) Power source,
(2) Heating element (coil),
(3) Wick,
(4) Airflow, and
(5) Fluid/E-liquid.

An atomizer is a device that facilitates 4 of the 5 components, but shold not be considered a "Basic" component in and of its' self. Also, a cartridge is either an type of atomizer if it has a coil and wick in it, or a fluid delivery tank that facilitates the the wick and coil. Again, I would not consider a cartridge a "basic" element of vaping. I hope this helps!

Last edited:

VU Sponsors