Become a Patron!

batteries taking over 8 hours to charge please help

shannon420420

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So I have been vaping for around 6 months now, I started with a haus begginers kit. I then upgraded to a vv tesla spider 1300mah, which I now have 2 of bought from different vendors and the chargers for them are slightly different. My problem is that either battery on either charger takes 8 hours or longer to charge. In addition to the standard ego charger I have a standard USB wall adapter there plugged into. From what I have been able to find online which isn't much my batteries should charge in around 3-4 hours mine are taking double that. And the 2nd battery is reletivly new can someone give me some advice or recommend a better charging method

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only thing it seems to do , if it were me would be determine which is causing the issue, the batteries or the charger, either way one of them is the problem, replacing one or the other or both.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Look and see what the charging amps is on the chargers..Some are pretty low amps which takes much longer to charge.

.25 amp?
.50 amp
1.0 amp?

shannon420420

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The chargers don't say what amp but the USB wall adapter says 1.0amp

The chargers read as follows
Ego USB charger
Input: DC 5v 500ma
Output: DC 4.2v 420ma

The other charger has a model number which is usb-jln

shannon420420

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Also I was wondering if I can use my galaxy s5 USB wall adapter to plug in my chargers for faster charging I haven't tried it bc it's output is 5.3v at 2.0amps

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's taking so ling because you are charging at 420ma. Don't worry about it.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The chargers don't say what amp but the USB wall adapter says 1.0amp

The chargers read as follows
Ego USB charger
Input: DC 5v 500ma
Output: DC 4.2v 420ma

The other charger has a model number which is usb-jln
Ok..was thinking it was possibly a lower output charger...1 amp is plenty to charge them long before 8 hrs..Not really sure how to help on this.

Are you turning the batteries off before charging?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Most Wall Warts are rated at 1.0 amp.

But the part that matters is the charger.

420mA = 0.42 Amps.

Slower than a freaking snail but your batteries should be charged within 4 to 5 hours or so..

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Also I was wondering if I can use my galaxy s5 USB wall adapter to plug in my chargers for faster charging I haven't tried it bc it's output is 5.3v at 2.0amps
NO! Use the standard charger that came with the kit.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When I used ego batteries 1300Mah, 1500Mah, when fully discharged I was getting times of 6-8 hours with a 420mah charger

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I used my phone charger for charging my MVP 20w...I dont see why you couldnt use it..The chip inside will only allow the max charging input regardless.

shannon420420

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for the quick response guys basically I need to buy a better ego charger or continue to charge slowly can someone recommend a good charger to buy

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I used my phone charger for charging my MVP 20w...I dont see why you couldnt use it..The chip inside will only allow the max charging input regardless.
The chip in the built in charger on your MVP is a very different critter from an ego charger. The ego charger requires a 5v input. Amps as long as they are up to the 420ma is fine, a 1a or 2a capacity isn't going to hurt anything. Exceeding the input voltage is another story.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The chip in the built in charger on your MVP is a very different critter from an ego charger. The ego charger requires a 5v input. Amps as long as they are up to the 420ma is fine, a 1a or 2a capacity isn't going to hurt anything. Exceeding the input voltage is another story.
Youre correct...i was thinking 5.2v was standard and not 5.0v...My samsung phone charger is 5v.

@shannon420420 ...are you using up one battery before the other is charged?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer

HELL NO!

Might be a great way to burn you house down and collect on insurance though.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the quick response guys basically I need to buy a better ego charger or continue to charge slowly can someone recommend a good charger to buy
All ego chargers are pretty much standard in design. Quality may vary but design parameters are the same. 420ma is what they are designed to output. The only constant here is the USB wall wart. Even though it says 1a it couldn't hurt to try a different one. 500ma is all that's really required so any other one you might have handy would do as long as it's 5v, not more.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Like already mentioned, 6-8 hrs is normal for ego batteries. That's why I had two chargers and 5 batteries when I was using egos. Also, don't run the battery until it's fully dead and you'll get faster charge times.

shannon420420

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks again and I recently stopped discharging my batteries all the way once I got my 2nd 1300mah. Also I've started turning them off to charge but the button light still stays on for 90% or so of the charge then goes off.

Just got the a kangertech t3d I'm loving it bc I can run it at around 4.0v to get the vape I like instead of 4.8v with my single coil tanks. Running 1.5ohm coil

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a couple ego type charges I never have used, is it the type you screw the battery onto? If so I'll send them to you for nothing.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like already mentioned, 6-8 hrs is normal for ego batteries. That's why I had two chargers and 5 batteries when I was using egos. Also, don't run the battery until it's fully dead and you'll get faster charge times.
^^^ This.....at one time, I had two chargers for six eGos, freakin ridiculous.....even since going to box mods, I go through three 18650s on my days off from work. Just a chain vapin' fool....lol!

shannon420420

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have a couple ego type charges I never have used, is it the type you screw the battery onto? If so I'll send them to you for nothing.
Yes they are the screw in kind. I have 2 chargers already I really just posted to find out more about the batteries I have bc I had looked online a lot and could never find a straight answer. But I am happy with the response from this forum and now I know it's normal and not worried anymore

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, if you change your mind just shoot me a pm, they are just sitting in a box.:)

shannon420420

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Does anyone know if using the t3d with a tesla spider 1300mah vv at any voltage could hurt the battery or coil?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Atomizer - Kanger, not unlike the t3s

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use those a lot, I like them

IMG_20150406_165344185_zpsv84ejd2t.jpg

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And they're okay on the tesla... ;)

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oh...i dont see why you cant use the voltage that you like with it as long as the ohms dont surpass the limits of the battery...Most typical ego have like a 1.5ohm limit and are better suited (battery life wise) to single coil cartomizers but you can fire dual coils im sure.

shannon420420

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Good bc for me the t3d delivers such a better vape than any of the other tanks iv tried the t3s was ok. Other than the t3d I really like the vape from some disposable top wick tanks I have but running at 4.8v to get a good hit vs the t3d at 3.8-4.0 depending on the liquid was giving a hotter vape and the t3d gives a nice cool hit with lots of vapor

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The T3D is the most basic of dual coil series tanks that use the same coils as the Evod2, Evod2 glass, Protank 3, Mini Protank 3, the Aerotank series, the Genitank series, and the Aerotank turbos....if you're having good luck with those coils than consider yourself blessed because many of us had nothing but problems with them, myself included,,,maybe using them in the cheaper tanks like the T3D is the "magic" solution :)

Anyways....ego charger's have a little chip in them to take the current from the wall wart and convert it down to 420 mA, or .42 amps from whatever amperage the wall wart converts the current from the wall socket it takes in. Ego batteries are meant to be charged at this current and can't handle a faster charge...some older style ego batteries had an even lower charge current of....i can't remember exactly off the top of my head, but it was like 200 or 300 mA. The reason why they take so long to charge is because eGo style batteries now days have a much higher capacity than the older ones. It only takes a couple hours for a 650 mah or 900 mah ego to charge from a 420 mA current where a 1300-2000 mah battery is going to take that much longer and it's no surprise that it takes several hours to charge because of the huge increase in storage capacity.

Sorry, but it's just the way they were designed....although, it was recommended on the older "twist" style eGo's to set the voltage setting to 4.2 before charging to ensure the fastest and best charge but I am not sure if it matters on the newer design.

VU Sponsors