Become a Patron!

Batteries to stay away from

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh, boy.... of course, stay away from anything with "fire" in the name. NO ICR batteries, either.

Really, to stay safe, use only authentic LG, Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung batteries. Look for honest ratings (there are no batteries rated to more than 30 amps, there are no batteries rated above 3000 mAh with anything higher than 20 amp ratings).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Anything with FIRE in the name.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's also important to consider use. Where it can be acceptable to use a 10 amp Panasonic in a 15 watt tube mod, using the same battery in a mech could be quite bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Any brand other then Samsung, LG, Sony, Sanyo, Panasonic (if 10A is enough for your needs).

Any battery with high capacity AND rating.

Any battery with capacity higher then 3400 mAh

Any battery with rating higher then 30A

Any battery bought from an unknown source.

Ian91

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Any brand other then Samsung, LG, Sony, Sanyo, Panasonic (if 10A is enough for your needs).

Any battery with high capacity AND rating.

Any battery with capacity higher then 3400 mAh

Any battery with rating higher then 30A

Any battery bought from an unknown source.
I use the LG MJ1 that is 3500mah and 10A. This is a very solid battery for anyone using lower wattage. Mooch gave it a good review. I use it in all of my mods using coils between .9 and 1.1ohm at between 15-20 watts.

dev199505

Member For 3 Years
I use the LG MJ1 that is 3500mah and 10A. This is a very solid battery for anyone using lower wattage. Mooch gave it a good review. I use it in all of my mods using coils between .9 and 1.1ohm at between 15-20 watts.
Im gonna be running at 120w once i get my new tank

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Topweasel

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Kbox 200

Hmm.... makes me think its a 30a cutoff device though I can't find any information about it. It's right at the cutoff for the HG2 and 30Q (and VTC6 for that matter). You could get a way with it really without any problems, but honestly, I'd probably get batteries like the HE4, VTC5, or 25R. They are still rated at roughly 20a, but honestly they are probably better suited to pulled at their limits. That is still a lot of battery life but should cover you if you ever use the limits of the device and keep in mind limits doesn't mean 200w, depending on resistance, you can run into the amp limit or voltage limit well before 200w. In the end All 6 I have listed here should be within the recommendations of the device. I'd just personally use extra caution and go with one of the latter 3 (personally I like the VTC5).

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hmm.... makes me think its a 30a cutoff device though I can't find any information about it. It's right at the cutoff for the HG2 and 30Q (and VTC6 for that matter). You could get a way with it really without any problems, but honestly, I'd probably get batteries like the HE4, VTC5, or 25R. They are still rated at roughly 20a, but honestly they are probably better suited to pulled at their limits. That is still a lot of battery life but should cover you if you ever use the limits of the device and keep in mind limits doesn't mean 200w, depending on resistance, you can run into the amp limit or voltage limit well before 200w. In the end All 6 I have listed here should be within the recommendations of the device. I'd just personally use extra caution and go with one of the latter 3 (personally I like the VTC5).
Kbox 200 will work fine with the hg2 and 30q batteries.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Topweasel

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Kbox 200 will work fine with the hg2 and 30q batteries.

Like I said it is within the power output requirements and chances are well within any allowance for pulsing. I am just saying that at 200w or max amp draw I think the 3000mah batteries will struggle a little bit more than the ~2500mah batteries. That said yeah it really is me being overly cautious.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Like I said it is within the power output requirements and chances are well within any allowance for pulsing. I am just saying that at 200w or max amp draw I think the 3000mah batteries will struggle a little bit more than the ~2500mah batteries. That said yeah it really is me being overly cautious.
Regulated mods will be fine. I use those batteries in 180 watt and 171 watts mods I have. No issues :)

Topweasel

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Regulated mods will be fine. I use those batteries in 180 watt and 171 watts mods I have. No issues :)

Again my focus is on the 200ness of the KBox. To get that out of 2 batteries it would need to have a 30a limit. That would be the same amount of draw that two 20a batteries would have in series (amp rating of one battery plus half of each additional battery). Keeping in mind the sag at that level as the battery is drained, I'd would tend to shift more towards the ~2500mah batteries because I think they would do better towards the end of the discharge cycle. It's not really a safety concern. And chances are he isn't going to be using 200w or approaching the amp limit in any way.

I would just tend to shift towards getting batteries that maximise the potential of a device. I use 3000mah batteries in my Three battery devices, 2500 in my dual and single cell devices, and 30a batteries in my Therions. It sucks when vaping at 50-60w on my single cell devices with HG2's and it hitting weak battery at 25%, or one one of my dual lies at 80w hitting it at 35-40% (in this case the mod sucks so it's not all on the battery).

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Again my focus is on the 200ness of the KBox. To get that out of 2 batteries it would need to have a 30a limit. That would be the same amount of draw that two 20a batteries would have in series (amp rating of one battery plus half of each additional battery). Keeping in mind the sag at that level as the battery is drained, I'd would tend to shift more towards the ~2500mah batteries because I think they would do better towards the end of the discharge cycle. It's not really a safety concern. And chances are he isn't going to be using 200w or approaching the amp limit in any way.

I would just tend to shift towards getting batteries that maximise the potential of a device. I use 3000mah batteries in my Three battery devices, 2500 in my dual and single cell devices, and 30a batteries in my Therions. It sucks when vaping at 50-60w on my single cell devices with HG2's and it hitting weak battery at 25%, or one one of my dual lies at 80w hitting it at 35-40% (in this case the mod sucks so it's not all on the battery).
At 200 watts .32 ohms is 25 amps. To hit 30 amps he would need to do 200 watts at .22 ohms. Either way the board limits current regardless so anything over a 20 amp battery is wasted. Single battery mods might require a 25r for the extra amps, but dual 18650 mods are fine with the 30q or hg2. Any other battery is just sacrificing run time for no reason. Trust me I learned it after buying lg hb6 batteries to be safe

dev199505

Member For 3 Years
At 200 watts .32 ohms is 25 amps. To hit 30 amps he would need to do 200 watts at .22 ohms. Either way the board limits current regardless so anything over a 20 amp battery is wasted. Single battery mods might require a 25r for the extra amps, but dual 18650 mods are fine with the 30q or hg2. Any other battery is just sacrificing run time for no reason. Trust me I learned it after buying lg hb6 batteries to be safe

Either way i dont plan on running more than 120a for the time being when i get the tfv8

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
if the brand doesnt make a tv, dont bother.
if its less than 20a continuous, dont bother.
if its on ebay, amazon or any other of that nature, dont bother.
personally i buy from liionwholesale.com but there are a few other trusted liion cell providers.
also helps to follow mooch on facebook or where ever else he is, and read some shit that should concern you.
learn and play safe.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
if the brand doesnt make a tv, dont bother.
if its less than 20a continuous, dont bother.
if its on ebay, amazon or any other of that nature, dont bother.
personally i buy from liionwholesale.com but there are a few other trusted liion cell providers.
also helps to follow mooch on facebook or where ever else he is, and read some shit that should concern you.
learn and play safe.

Mooch is a godsend to the vaping community.

I like illumn.com cause they are in CA like me so I get orders in 2 days. And they give u a free case for every pair you order

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Mooch is a godsend to the vaping community.

I like illumn.com cause they are in CA like me so I get orders in 2 days. And they give u a free case for every pair you order

yeah i hear good things about ilumn.
i buy from liionwholesale cause ive never been fucked by them so dont fix it if it aint broken. usually takes a xouple of days also and i dont even know where they are, im in miami.
i think the 2 bay plastic case is a norm now a days.
if something happened and for some reason i couldnt order from liionwholesale i wouls definitely order ilumn.

If it's not a Sony, Panasonic, Samsung or LG battery nor is it a IMR or INR then keep away from it, efest or trustfire. Everything those two companies make seem to spontaneously combust

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I use nothing but the LG HG2's and I get them from RTDVapor.com. They are also on Mooch's recommended list of suppliers. Shipping is super fast and they include free battery cases when ordered in pairs.

VU Sponsors