Become a Patron!

Batteries

I've touched up on a little bit of Ohm's law and i still can't figure out the max resistance i can build a coil for said battery. The only way i know that the resistance is too high is the chip, but I have also been looking into getting a mech mod and am trying to wrap my head around trying to figure out if my coil is going to be safe for the battery or not.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With a mech, coil resistance too high is NOT a safety issue.
It will just provide a substandard vape. Usually. I recall when low resistance was 2 ohms or a bit higher in cigalikes and early clearos.
And since they were low vapor production devices this worked well. Or as well as they could work.

For low resistance just use ohms law with 4.2 volts and your resistance to calculate how much current/amps the coil will pull from the battery and make sure that the CDR of the battery can support that current.

And do not buy rewrap cells, virtually all of them grossly overstate their CDR.

Last edited:

SpectoVia

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU SWAT
It will just provide a substandard vape. Usually. I recall when low resistance was 2 ohms or a bit higher in cigalikes and early clearos.
And since they were low vapor production devices this worked well. Or as well as they could work.

For low resistance just use ohms law with 4.2 volts and you resistance to calculate how much current/amps the coil will pull from the battery and make sure that the CDR of the battery can support that current.

I would only add the recommendation of only buying from fully reputable battery vendors such as these.
(I’m sure other peeps could recommend other reputable sites)

https://www.imrbatteries.com/
https://liionwholesale.com/
https://www.illumn.com/

For low resistance just use ohms law with 4.2 volts and your resistance to calculate how much current/amps the coil will pull from the battery and make sure that the CDR of the battery can support that current.

Where did you get the 4.2 volts? is that just a general safe spot to start or should i use the volts that is stated on the battery ex. my 18650 battery says 3.7v . Also how would i determine the battery's CDR yes im kinda noob haha

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Where did you get the 4.2 volts? is that just a general safe spot to start or should i use the volts that is stated on the battery ex. my 18650 battery says 3.7v . Also how would i determine the battery's CDR yes im kinda noob haha
4.2 volts is the full charge voltage of a Li cell used in vaping.
3.7 is the midway or nominal voltage of the cell during discharge.
During cell discharge the voltage will gradually drop.
Most people recharge their cells at around 3 volts or a bit more.
Running a Li cell all the way dead or below 2.5 volts makes them somewhat iffy/dangerous to recharge.

Running a cell too low is one thing to learn about using mechs as they do not shut off like a regulated/protected mod will do.

I use 4.2 volts in ohms law calcs to give some safety headroom.
Actual operating under a load cell output voltage will be less than 4.2 volts though.
If running a single cell mech and drawing much current the actual under load output voltage will be more like 3.7 - 3.8 volts for a fully charged cell.

The guy that made the vids at the following link is pretty much the battery guru for US vapers and I strongly recommend watching some of his vids.
ALL mech vapers should watch his vids and even non mech users benefit from watching them.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCePHh3NMvu3rW2LFJeOWo-Q

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've touched up on a little bit of Ohm's law and i still can't figure out the max resistance i can build a coil for said battery. The only way i know that the resistance is too high is the chip, but I have also been looking into getting a mech mod and am trying to wrap my head around trying to figure out if my coil is going to be safe for the battery or not.
have a look through the steam engine thread for specific instructions on setting up and checking builds using the tools over at steam-engine.org. if you can get the hang of wire wizard and ohms law calculator you can always build safe (or push your luck, or whatever you want) :cheers:

VU Sponsors