Become a Patron!

BATTERY CHARGE OVERNIGHT?

KingClouds

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I have an eleaf Ijust 2, I just want to know if ill be safe charging it overnight with the usb it comes with in a iphone wall charger. Thanks! Like is it supposed to stop at a certain point because its regulated i think.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You should never, ever charge li-ion batteries unattended. And particularly, never ever charge one thing with the charge thing from something else, especially if that other thing is a phone -- I think some of them are made to charge rapidly at 2A, but vaping batteries should charge at 1A, and some of them, even as low as .5A.

Andria

KingClouds

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You should never, ever charge li-ion batteries unattended. And particularly, never ever charge one thing with the charge thing from something else, especially if that other thing is a phone -- I think some of them are made to charge rapidly at 2A, but vaping batteries should charge at 1A, and some of them, even as low as .5A.

Andria

So could i use my computer usb slot to charge it? Because it only comes with the usb cable.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So could i use my computer usb slot to charge it? Because it only comes with the usb cable.

Hmm... I have sometimes used my computer's USB to charge mods, and I use it daily to charge my phone. But, I don't do it so often with my mods, because if something were to happen, I'd hate to lose both my mod, AND my PC.

At Walmart, you can probably find USB-to-AC wall warts that are 1A. It's possible that the one for your phone is 1A, but unless you know that specifically, I'm not sure it's a good idea to use it. Check and see if it has a little panel giving its specs -- you might need a magnifying glass to read it! :D

The main reservation I have is that the Eleaf mods are so darn cheap, which means they're very cheaply made; if there is one time when a battery is unstable and more likely to have fiery issues, it's during charging. I recall that when Eleaf first released its iStick 50w, there were more battery issues than you could shake a stick at; later versions of that mod had fixed the problem, but I still look askance at anything from Eleaf.

Andria

KingClouds

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hmm... I have sometimes used my computer's USB to charge mods, and I use it daily to charge my phone. But, I don't do it so often with my mods, because if something were to happen, I'd hate to lose both my mod, AND my PC.

At Walmart, you can probably find USB-to-AC wall warts that are 1A. It's possible that the one for your phone is 1A, but unless you know that specifically, I'm not sure it's a good idea to use it. Check and see if it has a little panel giving its specs -- you might need a magnifying glass to read it! :D

The main reservation I have is that the Eleaf mods are so darn cheap, which means they're very cheaply made; if there is one time when a battery is unstable and more likely to have fiery issues, it's during charging. I recall that when Eleaf first released its iStick 50w, there were more battery issues than you could shake a stick at; later versions of that mod had fixed the problem, but I still look askance at anything from Eleaf.

Andria

Thanks so much! I appreciate your help. I'll go stop by the store later. thanks.

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As far as USB Power adapters go, USB Power is USB Power. Current is pulled, not pushed, so one can safely charge a device requiring 500mA from a 2A or more USB charger, as long as it is a 5V USB supply.

Thr confusion came with the old style ego chargers. One had a screw on charge module with a USB A end. That device itself was the charger, so if one with too high an output was used then the cell in the ego would receive too much charge current.

A mod capable of being charged over USB has this charge circuitry integrated into the mod, so it's not possible to use the wrong type. From there, all that's needed is a 5V USB supply. Rating if the supply will dictate charge speed, up to the limit set by the charging module in the device.

VU Sponsors