battery come charged?

slayer420-x

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Do 18650's come fully charged out of the box? Just waiting on my ipv2 v2 & efest 18650 35A i ordered and just wondering if its fully charged ready to go out of the box or does it come dead needing charge. i know most batterys like AA or AAA come fully charged but this is diffrent its a 18650 rechargable.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I just today received an 18650 and 18490 in the mail. Neither was charged. Charging now :)

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
In my experience most arrive with a partial charge.

Part of the chemical reaction from the components of the battery.

But best to bite the bullet and charge them properly before use.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Same as a cell phone battery. They are not to come fully charged. If they are, they have been used.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've never received any of my batteries charged. And I did I would be suspicious lol

The three batteries I got recently came charged. I don't think they were "fully" charged because one of them needed charging after only a day or two of very minor usage, but it definitely came with a charge that I vaped with for a while. Wondering why you're saying I should be suspicious?

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Because they are not supposed to have a 4.2 volt charge on them from the factory. Just a minor charge.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not sure how long a "minor charge" is suppose to last. I stuck my fresh out of the box efest 18350 700mah into the mech yesterday and have been using it sporadically. Seems to have a pretty good charge to it although I'm new to mechs and just using it on a Protank so not using a whole lot of power.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I imagine they come with a 3.2 volt charge. Any new battery, should be charged before use. I'd be careful of using a new battery before charging it. You could kill the cell.

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I test my batteries when I get them and they'll usually have around 3.2- 3.4 volts on them. if I get batteries that come with 4.2 volts on then I would be suspicious about then being new and unused. But that's just me personally

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I imagine they come with a 3.2 volt charge. Any new battery, should be charged before use. I'd be careful of using a new battery before charging it. You could kill the cell.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll stick it in the charger then.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hmmm, just stuck the 18650 2500mah that I fully charged into the mech and yes, it's giving off a much more powerful vape, so yeah I'd say they didn't come fully charged, just partially.

Monotremata

Member For 4 Years
The LGs I got last week were at 3.6v outta the mailbox. Little bit of vaping time, but definitely not charged. My Efest 18350s needed to be charged as well..

RBVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lithium Ion batteries, like all batteries suffer from self-discharge so even if they were fully charged at the factory they wouldn't stay that way.

slayer420-x

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Cool thanks everyone. I'll make sure to pop the battery in then plug in usb to fully charge first

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The LGs I got last week were at 3.6v outta the mailbox. Little bit of vaping time, but definitely not charged. My Efest 18350s needed to be charged as well..
Saw a TV show on batteries. They super charge them to test them at the factory. All batteries have some charge.

Fun fact: the best amount of charge to be left in a lithium battery is 40%, so I would assume that's what they're shipped with.

It's based on the chemical reaction. So if you're ever storing lithium batteries, only charge them to 40% or they're much more likely to decay/be dead the next time you use them.

I also just got my batteries and they were not fully charged, and I would only be concerned if it was a full charge. Not many ways to know though if you don't have a sophisticated charger, which I don't.

Hope this helps!

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
In my experience most arrive with a partial charge.

Part of the chemical reaction from the components of the battery.

But best to bite the bullet and charge them properly before use.

My experience too. All the batteries and integrated-battery mods I've received have been at a "storage" charge level, about 3.5-3.8v. It may not be a bad idea to try it out, right when you get it, but mainly just to make sure it works -- but before you actually start using it, you should give it a full charge.

Andria

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
These types of batteries are supposed to be stored at their nominal voltage to reduce cell stress and prolong their lifespan. So 3.6-3.7 volts. They may come a bit lower if they've been sitting on a shelf for awhile. Any higher or lower than nominal isn't optimal.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Most of my batteries have come in at around 3.2-3.6V. You should not use them until they're fully charged.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The cells are to be like 25% of charge, that lessens the chance of venting due to temperature in an airplane or truck during the delivery process.......

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
NO.......They need charging before use. Every mod battery I have ever bought came in charged to 3.7 or less. While not technically discharged they are not fully charged either. Heck if you get them with boxes, the box often instructs the battery to be charged before use. This is even true for the aa, aaa rechargables I use around the house.

VU Sponsors