Become a Patron!

Battery discoloration

surf472

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im sure you all know what im talking about, the green casing on my battery has a darker shade about 30% up the battery under the green casing. What does this mean?

surf472

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Samsung r25
rn0Iw1U.jpg

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Samsung r25
rn0Iw1U.jpg
Looks like you possibly had juice leak on the battery or worst case cicero, the battery vented and you see discoloration from heat or chemical release. Have you overheated the batteries, if yes, get rid of them.

surf472

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No i never personally felt the heat off the batteries and they dont normally get hot at all. Is it ok to use for a few days or is it ditch them as fast as possible?

I have dropped them a time or two though

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No i never personally felt the heat off the batteries and they dont normally get hot at all. Is it ok to use for a few days or is it ditch them as fast as possible?

I have dropped them a time or two though
Well lets say they vented, do not use them. One other route would be to remove the wrap and inspect the battery, doing this and the battery looks good, you would have to rewrap the battery. Being that batteries are really inexpensive, replace them to be on the safe side. I attach a link to a vendor that many of the VU members use, honest and reliable.
Here>>>>http://liionwholesale.com/

Oracle

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
In my opinion, there are few reasons will appearance this situation:
1.maybe it was a juice leak.
2.It is overcharged.
3.It is discharging for long time, and leading that the temperature of this battery is higher.
4.Mixing different types of batteries in using.
I recommend you to get rid of it, because if it leaks juice seriously, your skin will be destroyed when touch it.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Sometimes it can trap condensation inside the wrap and that happens. Or a little bit of juice getting on it at the right time could do the same thing. It's probably ok but as others mentioned it could also be an indication that it vented. You can either just be super careful with it in your next charge/discharge cycle and make sure everything is working fine (i.e. while charging don't leave it unattended, check the voltage of it to make sure it's fully back to normal, then check it with your hand to make sure it's not getting hotter than normal as you use it in your device), and if so go back to using it, or just go the very safe way and replace it.

surf472

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well just a follow up. I have been still using it, it does not differ from any other battery I have used, I have to admit I did drop it a few times and I think thats why its doing this but the voltage is still normal and its still functioning fine and can't notice a difference, no heat or anything. Just wanted to make sure I wont lose my face using it. Thanks guys!

dr_rox

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you set the battery where there is ANY little bit of liquid near the wrapper/body seam, capillary action will cause it to be drawn up. ONE DROP that is spread molecules thin, will cover a pretty large area of a battery. Even after it has been moved and cleaned off, it will continue to spread until it is even. That's how wicks work.

VU Sponsors